Defensively, Rondo still a liability

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Defensively, Rondo still a liability

I know he was huge offensively, but defensively he was costly once agai. Letting Butler(Hamilton) score big easy backdoor buckets proved very costly. His defensive risks are not worth the reward. He needs to man up better and stop going for steals. Anyone agree......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtic213. Show celtic213's posts

Re: Defensively, Rondo still a liability

In response to antiqueman1's comment:

I know he was huge offensively, but defensively he was costly once agai. Letting Butler(Hamilton) score big easy backdoor buckets proved very costly. His defensive risks are not worth the reward. He needs to man up better and stop going for steals. Anyone agree......

no

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

now you've done it.  fierce will be by to tell you you are a threat to buy an AR-15 and harm some people.

rondo is obviously not very interested in playing regular season games with very much intensity.  check his game log and you'll find he has superb games every 6 to 10 games once and in the between times he is miserable in many respects. 

one thing that he is MOST consistent about being miserable with is playing solid fundamental defense.  and even then it's not a guarantee that he START doing it when the playoffs start, like he starts "trying" in so many other areas of the game that lay dormant in his head case mind during the regular season. 

he's never held accountable by his coach or general manager and he keeps getting pay raises throughout.  so can you really blame him?  rondo SHOULD be the leader of this team now- ready to take the reigns and go from pierce and garnett.....   but he doesn't want to be a consistent force every night offensively or defensively. 

he's a walking clinic of bad habits except precious few games when he does a lot of things and then even then, like against the bulls, you see he falls open like a cheap suitcase with little provocation and costs us big time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtic213. Show celtic213's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

now you've done it.  fierce will be by to tell you you are a threat to buy an AR-15 and harm some people.

rondo is obviously not very interested in playing regular season games with very much intensity.  check his game log and you'll find he has superb games every 6 to 10 games once and in the between times he is miserable in many respects. 

one thing that he is MOST consistent about being miserable with is playing solid fundamental defense.  and even then it's not a guarantee that he START doing it when the playoffs start, like he starts "trying" in so many other areas of the game that lay dormant in his head case mind during the regular season. 

he's never held accountable by his coach or general manager and he keeps getting pay raises throughout.  so can you really blame him?  rondo SHOULD be the leader of this team now- ready to take the reigns and go from pierce and garnett.....   but he doesn't want to be a consistent force every night offensively or defensively. 

he's a walking clinic of bad habits except precious few games when he does a lot of things and then even then, like against the bulls, you see he falls open like a cheap suitcase with little provocation and costs us big time.

rondo is ready to take over this team. take the game against the bulls hes absolutely dominated whoever was guarding him he hustled all night on defense even up to that point at the end of the game he striped the ball and it magically found its way to hinrich...if you watch the game rondo makes plays and plays throughout the game and when its crunch time espically in the overtime they call isolations for pierce every time up the court was and isolation for pierce ridiculous whos fault is that? docs? pierces? i dnt know but all of you willl find a way to put it on rondo...rondo is the least of what all you guys should be worrying about but after every game, if he drops 30 and/or fouls out diving for a lose ball because everyone else on the team is watching or if he leads the league in assits or if hes a starter in the allstar game alll come here after the game and complain about him its ridiculous

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In response to celtic213's comment:

In response to aciemvp's comment:

rondo is ready to take over this team. take the game against the bulls hes absolutely dominated whoever was guarding him he hustled all night on defense even up to that point at the end of the game he striped the ball and it magically found its way to hinrich...if you watch the game rondo makes plays and plays throughout the game and when its crunch time espically in the overtime they call isolations for pierce every time up the court was and isolation for pierce ridiculous whos fault is that? docs? pierces? i dnt know but all of you willl find a way to put it on rondo...rondo is the least of what all you guys should be worrying about but after every game, if he drops 30 and/or fouls out diving for a lose ball because everyone else on the team is watching or if he leads the league in assits or if hes a starter in the allstar game alll come here after the game and complain about him its ridiculous

I am not questioning his talent. He has all the talent to be a great player, but he lacks the desire to play quality D and it hurts the Cs. You need to watch the entire game celtic. His lack of D hurts everyone else because they have to cover. And him knocking that ball loose to a wide open Hinrich. Hmm, imagine if he just played tougher more sound D instead of going to the steal all the time. He is a liability. Just how I see and watch the games.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

i agree that Rondo isnt very great at one on one man defense, but using the bulls game was a bad example. He played good defense in that game. Those backdoor plays Hamilton made were heads up plays, not lazy play by Rondo. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

IT's one thing to point out a player just cant get certain things done. For ex, KG has all sorts of trouble defending drives, hes slow to move and many players cruie on by him. He sometimes appears a weakling under the basket with the ball and a defender near by.... hoisting up fall away jumpers from 2 feet and barely hitting the backboard. KG's issues are his body cant do it anymore like it used to.

Rondo, on the other hand, is a case of not putting forth the effort imo. He doesnt fight threw a screen/pick.  I'm trying to recall when Ive ever seen him do so twice in a game and stick with his man.  As quick and freakishly athletic as so many claim him to be, yet his opponent easily and routinely blows by him and creates havoc in the lane. Rondo isnt a cripple and fat slob that cant move his feet, theres no excuse for this other than hes been coddled by Doc.

Doc is intimidated by Rondo and feaful to criticize him beyond a gentle whisper imo..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

though it's being way over-stated by some, Rondo does have too many defensive lapses, particularly  when it comes to penetration, but he is FAR from a poor defender. he is an excellent team defender and a good on ball man defender. he also has gotten (magically?) much better this season with Bradley playing next to him. add an actual back-up pg and a legit shot blocker on the team to take the pressure off and he'll likely take another step up. not saying there aren't times  when he needs to fight through picks harder and be a better on ball defender (he does), but all season long derek rose, chris paul, russell westbrook et. al. get beat multiple times every night. this is the nba. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to bt33's comment:

though it's being way over-stated by some, Rondo does have too many defensive lapses, particularly  when it comes to penetration, but he is FAR from a poor defender. he is an excellent team defender and a good on ball man defender. he also has gotten (magically?) much better this season with Bradley playing next to him. add an actual back-up pg and a legit shot blocker on the team to take the pressure off and he'll likely take another step up. not saying there aren't times  when he needs to fight through picks harder and be a better on ball defender (he does), but all season long derek rose, chris paul, russell westbrook et. al. get beat multiple times every night. this is the nba. 

I would like to see a stat on the number of reach arounds, or "poke a-ways" he has attempted this season, and a complimentary stat showing what percentage of his "poke a-ways" have been successful! 

I wonder if the Cs track this? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Keep dreaming... your statements contradict one another and so far from reality

Also, how has Rondo gotten magically better this season playing with Bradley...when Bradleys only played 8 games out of 39???

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

IT's one thing to point out a player just cant get certain things done. For ex, KG has all sorts of trouble defending drives, hes slow to move and many players cruie on by him. He sometimes appears a weakling under the basket with the ball and a defender near by.... hoisting up fall away jumpers from 2 feet and barely hitting the backboard. KG's issues are his body cant do it anymore like it used to.

Rondo, on the other hand, is a case of not putting forth the effort imo. He doesnt fight threw a screen/pick.  I'm trying to recall when Ive ever seen him do so twice in a game and stick with his man.  As quick and freakishly athletic as so many claim him to be, yet his opponent easily and routinely blows by him and creates havoc in the lane. Rondo isnt a cripple and fat slob that cant move his feet, theres no excuse for this other than hes been coddled by Doc.

Doc is intimidated by Rondo and feaful to criticize him beyond a gentle whisper imo..

Very true Karl. I think Doc is becoming a liability too.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

You think Doc should be replaced by Jeff Van Gundy?

He is loyal to a fault Fierce. Sorry, he is very predictable coach. He does not infuse the youth enough. He lacks trust in them. And he does not get on Rondo enough. Too easy.  KG and Pierce are not what they used to be. And they can't just go and win games these days. I think he does not rotate in the young talent enough. It would keep everybody fresher. Maybe his time has run its course

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

I would like to see a stat on the number of reach arounds, or "poke a-ways" he has attempted this season, and a complimentary stat showing what percentage of his "poke a-ways" have been successful! 

I wonder if the Cs track this? 

I would love to see that stat as well. Good point for sure....

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

He is loyal to a fault Fierce. Sorry, he is very predictable coach. He does not infuse the youth enough. He lacks trust in them. And he does not get on Rondo enough. Too easy.  KG and Pierce are not what they used to be. And they can't just go and win games these days. I think he does not rotate in the young talent enough. It would keep everybody fresher. Maybe his time has run its course

Yeah, I know Doc's flaws. But my question is are the Celtics better off with Jeff Van Gundy as coach?

U know,  I consider Doc and Avery Johnson to be very much alike.  I think both guys are coaches that players like playing for.  I think they are both good coaches. Don't really think either one is a great coach.  Very few great coaches in NBA in my opinion.

Pops is one, I think Thibs is on his way to being one.  He has been the main reason that Chicago has a identity,  continued to win after losing one of the top 5 players in the league.  No team wants Chicago in the playoffs. Nate Robinson was not much for us.  He now appears to be a pretty good player with Chicago.  I know he has hurt us numerous times since being removed from the C''s.

Back to the thread concerning Doc and Avery.  Avery gets fired and the Nets immediately start playing fantastic ball.   I guess the point is sometimes guys need to hear other voices sometimes.  Sometimes you need different philosophies to meet your personnel.  (similar to Dantoni).  Doc is not much on changing what he does.  Numerous times we have seen guys sit the bench for long stretches,  us wondering why he doesn't play when he is productive.  Finally a injury happens and that guy start playing and playing well and a lot say its because Doc knows how to develop.  Really.  AB played because Allen was hurt.

I am not saying Doc is not a good coach or we need to get rid of him, simply pointing out what I consider interesting points.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

Yeah, I know Doc's flaws. But my question is are the Celtics better off with Jeff Van Gundy as coach?

Did someone actually mention Van Gundy or are you just adding your usual irreverency to make a non-point?

Your better posts are when you start a thread and then they primarily regress from there(usually when someone disagrees w/ your opinion). You might be better served by starting a post and then removing yourself thereafter(allowing the grownups to have their say). You might actually learn something. To quote the infamous, Reeko" Just sayin"...

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Take the good with the bad when it comes to Rondo.

No matter what we say here, nothing's going to change. Rondo will still be a Celtic and he will still play bad defense. It is what it is.

Same could be said for KG and his bad rebounding!!  It is what it is!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

Question remains, are the Celtics better off with Jeff Van Gundy as coach?

God no.

We just need to play our younger players.

Please elaborate on this.  What exactly do you mean play younger players?  Who and how much are you talking about.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Don't know until they try...;-)