Delonte....... really

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrade. Show notrade's posts

Delonte....... really

What a joke.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Re: Delonte....... really

.....really!

Maybe Ainge is thinking 0f some trade, otherwise this is a stupid move...i agree it's a bozo move.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

He's a good shooter when he get's hot and a decent defensive player. Let's just hope the shrink clears him to play.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

For the price it may be a great to good move by Danny.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

I still think he will be used as a trade bait.

What da h3ll you gonna do with Robinson if Delonte is there?

......and the other guards?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

no joke - as a 9th or 10th man, you could do worse

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcal84. Show jcal84's posts

Just keep him away from Ray's mom.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In Response to Re: Delonte....... really:
    [QUOTE]I still think he will be used as a trade bait. What da h3ll you gonna do with Robinson if Delonte is there? ......and the other guards?
    Posted by CHEisCHE[/QUOTE]

The deal (non-guaranteed) means West can be released before Jan. 10 without the Celtics being responsible for the remainder of his contract. West received $500,000 as a buyout from the Timberwolves when he was waived Aug. 3.

Sounds like he's gonna be Tony Allen's replacement spending most of his time behind Pierce given this statement from an interview with Ainge by The Boston Globe reported Gary Washburn.

"He is a strong mid-range shooter and effective defender, which is exactly what the Celtics need as a backup to Pierce."

and this one too ...

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/09/02/calling-all-characters-in-boston/

"West’s job will be to back up Pierce, a job he should have no problem handling since he’s always been able to guard bigger players. He’ll also have to prove that he’s working through the issues that have dogged him throughout his career — he’ll start the season serving a 10-game suspension for a gun possession charge in Maryland last season, and the rumors of a rift between he and LeBron James in Cleveland last year have never been confirmed but remain prevalent."

So much for a big SF to match up with the other Power SF's of the league unless a trade is made a few months into the season or West is let go before Jan 10th ...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Lebron and Kobe would be scared of someone carrying 3 loaded guns. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

You get what you pay for. He has a chance to be more than what Danny paid for.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

In response to mployee8:  I like Delonte and I know  he plays the 1 and 2 positions well. I can't see him as a small forward. He's way too small. I don't ever recall Delonte playing the 3 spot and for good reason. He's strictly a 1 and 2 which is saying a lot because he's a 2 position player. Having someone who can play the point guard position and also be able to play the 2 is a great to have on a team. But I really think you're stretching it with Delonte backing up Pierce at the 3 spot.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

I agree mem, he's more a 2 than 3 but the C's have those spots covered. He can help here and there at the 1 spot when Nate isn't effective or Rondo isn't hitting his jumper or free throws in crunch time but he was picked up to backup Pierce. He has the ability, much the way Tony Allen did, to cover SF's. Indeed, I saw him on Pierce a few times in the Cleveland-Boston playoff series and he gave Paul problems. He's not the "Answer" but he will have to do for now along with Daniels until a better option presents itself. Don't forget, Tony Allen was only 6'4" ... a mere 1" taller than Delonte but both have the ability to stay in front of their opponent and in their face.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Tony Allen could play good D. on many 3's. Being 6'4 that's saying something. However Tony is much stronger than Delonte. I believe Tony weighs 210 lbs which is muscular for 6'4. I haven't seen Delonte's weight, but I'd bet T.A has about 20 lbs on Delonte. T.A knows how to use his strength while playing defense, which is one of the reasons he can effectively guard taller players and heavier players. I won't miss T.A's dribbling boo boo's or his ugly outside shot, but we will all miss his defensive skills.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

We will miss TA.  Delonte is definitely no Tony Allen on Defense.  But, TA was a liability on offense while he was on the floor.  Now, that in and of itself is not a problem.  But, we couldn't play him, Rondo, and Perk as the same time because there were not enough offensive players.  That just put too much pressure on which ever other 2 starters were on the floor.  So, we'll lose something on D, but we'll have a better offensive player on the floor when Delonte is in.   Better balance.  He's not big, but he plays bigger than his size on D and he can shoot.  And remember, he's about number 9 to 12 on the roster so its not like he's counted on to do big minutes.  We just aren't going to get that player with the money we had left.   

The Delonte more wasn't the best in the world, but its one of the better moves we could make given the Celtics have no room left with the salaries we have.  We got Shaq and Delonte and Wafer for next to nothing so I think Danny did a good job for whatever money he had left.   I'd say the Celts are pretty darn deep at this point when you have West as your 9th, 10th, or 11th man!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Yes notrade, Delonte - really. 

Since you don't understand much about how players are realistically acquired in the NBA I suspect this post won't do you much good, but just in case: 

The Celts had one roster spot and limited funds. With limited funds your most likely option is: 

1. Spend money at market value to get player deemed worthy of your budget. 

In this case, that's not a good plan as we have little $ to work with. So a better option is to get a player that is undervalued by other teams but who might work out great for you. Three ways you can do that: 

1. Take a chance on a very young raw player and hope they have potential others don't see (problem with that is it usually takes a few years to play out and we are in "win now" mode). 

2. Take a chance on a player who has had health problems that other teams are writing off or undervaluing. 

3. Take a chance on a player with character/off the court issues that other teams are writing off or undervaluing. 

Delonte obviously fits into the 3rd area. And he fills two needs: defense and scoring - he's a very good mid range shooter, decent three point shooter with a feisty attitude. That happens to fit one of the Celts biggest, if not biggest, need. 

I'm sure this explanation confused you but that's the best I can do.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

BTS,

I thought that our biggest need was another SF.  If it's another shooter, it's like admitting you were wrong picking Bradley and signing Wafer.  Sure the price was right and in a vacuum it's a good pick up, but I don't see it filling a need.  Jarvis Hayes could have been had for the same money and would be a much better bench player at the 3.

PA

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

The guy carries 3 loaded guns, if that's not a shooter I don't know what is. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Don't like this move, because now we have a logjam at the 2 without filling a hole at the 3.  Not a fan of West either.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Don't like this move, because now we have a logjam at the 2 without filling a hole at the 3.  Not a fan of West either.
    Posted by cpjohn1[/QUOTE]

The Celtics can always make a move to acquire a SF after Dec. 15 or before the February trade deadline. I don't think Delonte West would still be available if the Celtics waited a little bit longer. Besides, it only cost the Celtics the vet's minimum.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

As long as Delonte is medicating properly he's stable it's when he wonders off his medications that he tends too drift.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]As long as Delonte is medicating properly he's stable it's when he wonders off his medications that he tends too drift.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

We don't want Delonte using one of those 3 loaded guns on Kobe or Lebron, or would we?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Delonte....... really : The Celtics can always make a move to acquire a SF after Dec. 15 or before the February trade deadline. I don't think Delonte West would still be available if the Celtics waited a little bit longer. Besides, it only cost the Celtics the vet's minimum.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

I don't care if Delonte West would still be available or not.  I didn't want him on the team anyway.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Delonte....... really : I don't care if Delonte West would still be available or not.  I didn't want him on the team anyway.
    Posted by cpjohn1[/QUOTE]

Why do you not want Delonte on the Celtics?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

Do I have a memory problem or is it the guys who dont like Delonte that have a memory problem? From what I remember, the guy had very good defense. He knew how to block shots and is way better shooter than Tony Allen. TA was one of my favs but so was this guy when he was traded. Who else played good for Cleveland in the playoffs? I think it was Delonte West unless my memory is failing. C's have dealt with excessive baggage before (hint: Starbury) and yet have had any chemistry problems. This is the best signing C's could have done at the moment. C's have a great team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerseycfan. Show jerseycfan's posts

Reading some Cav's fans posts on their forum.   From what I understand from a few, D. West was the second best player on that team as far as offense.  Also  said that he was under too much pressure with that responsibility.  I think he will fit in very nice as just another cog to the green wheel.  Sure wish the season was here.  Best to all C fans from Jersey.