Develop the 'oop for Green

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Develop the 'oop for Green

Seriously, I think of this after watching every game. Think about how well Bynum & Drummond put together the alley oop last night. Think about our deficiency in points in the paint. Think about Rondo, who supposedly is the greatest passer in the game today. Think about how painful it is to watch the 1 or 2 'oops a game to KG, who usually has to catch, land, and layup.

Y NO GREEN?

He is a freak athlete. He can finish well. And most importantly, it gives him MORE purpose in the offense. I can't understand why Doc brags about not creating for Jeff, and that he just lets Jeff create for himself. Jeff's got the jumper, he's got the 3. Let him dominate the paint. It can't be that hard! If you want Green to continue off the bench, he could develop it with Barbosa or Lee. The 'oop would be lethal with Barbosa, who can get to the basket and score just as easily!

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Re: Develop the 'oop for Green

Dood, you're missing the point, which is he can get easier buckets with a developped alley oop!

You say he is either passing too much or just improvising as he drives to the basket. That is my point. They're giving the ball to green, making him handle it and putting him in those situations. You got to reimage Jeff as a finisher, not a creator. Leave that to Rondo, Bradley & Lee. Are you really telling me that somehow Bynum & Drummond can get it done, but a Lee & Green can't? THAT IS INCORRECT!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Also, Jeff Green has no pull up jumper. He just drives all the way to the basket. That's why it's either he misses, gets his shot blocked, or charged with an offensive foul.

After 40 games, clearly Jeff Green has the moves and talent, he's just not a scorer. He's just a role player.

Thats wrong. He has shown his pull up jumper around the key. I think he has the shot. Doc needs to get him into that scorer mentality. Its actually quite simple. Score first, pass second.

Its like Doc tells his 2nd unit, "OK guys, I want you to run the offense through Jeff. Get the ball to Jeff and let him create"

And then what do they do? They give him the ball around the 3pt line. He either gets double teamed and trapped, forces a drive, or forces a shot.

That is like level-50 Lebron James status. That should be the final polishing of one's game. The ability to drive/score from that far away. Seriously, that is Lebron, Durant, Kobe, or Melo -esque. Why can't we start off at level 5 - the 'oop? THAT is my quesiton.

Doc should be saying, "OK guys, move the ball, set a pick for Barbosa. I want Barbosa to drive to the hoop. I want Jeff to drive from the weak side. Barbosa can either finish the drive, throw it up to Jeff, or pop it to Lee in the corner"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

Dood, you're missing the point, which is he can get easier buckets with a developped alley oop!

You say he is either passing too much or just improvising as he drives to the basket. That is my point. They're giving the ball to green, making him handle it and putting him in those situations. You got to reimage Jeff as a finisher, not a creator. Leave that to Rondo, Bradley & Lee. Are you really telling me that somehow Bynum & Drummond can get it done, but a Lee & Green can't? THAT IS INCORRECT!

1. Green won't be playing center  2. Drummond rolls free because Garnett hedges to the guard penetration and Bass, Pierce, Terry, whoever., don't crack down to Drummond  3. Detroit doesn't defend that way  

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

You're forgetting that Drummond is 6-10, he's a Center. Jeff Green is 6-9 and a SF. There's a big difference.

That one inch and a title makes that much difference? I'm pretty sure Jeff has more weight right now than Drummond. I'm pretty sure that JG is the same size as Durant/Lebron. They both can finish the 'oop hard at the basket. Why not green? Neither of you are giving me good answers, just "no inbetween game blah blah" The point is that the 2nd units offense is better suited having Jeff go to the basket and finish a lob.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Jeff Green would get abused at the five spot.  Agree that he sometimes shows some freakish athleticism, but he's a long, long way from even being 100% right now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

"I'm not going to argue with you further on this one because I know what you're asking will not come to fruition."

wOW, FIRST TIME amoeba man will stop his rapid gatling gun post...i will not hold my breath. It's not his last for this one. 

Oh....where did you copy this quote? "Scorers are not made, they are born"

Jordan started nothing..he learned it!   See, you don't work that's why you don't know what social interaction & skills means. You are born lazy...that i know, it's in ur dna

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Also, Jeff Green has no pull up jumper. He just drives all the way to the basket. That's why it's either he misses, gets his shot blocked, or charged with an offensive foul.

After 40 games, clearly Jeff Green has the moves and talent, he's just not a scorer. He's just a role player.

Thats wrong. He has shown his pull up jumper around the key. I think he has the shot. Doc needs to get him into that scorer mentality. Its actually quite simple. Score first, pass second.

Its like Doc tells his 2nd unit, "OK guys, I want you to run the offense through Jeff. Get the ball to Jeff and let him create"

And then what do they do? They give him the ball around the 3pt line. He either gets double teamed and trapped, forces a drive, or forces a shot.

That is like level-50 Lebron James status. That should be the final polishing of one's game. The ability to drive/score from that far away. Seriously, that is Lebron, Durant, Kobe, or Melo -esque. Why can't we start off at level 5 - the 'oop? THAT is my quesiton.

Doc should be saying, "OK guys, move the ball, set a pick for Barbosa. I want Barbosa to drive to the hoop. I want Jeff to drive from the weak side. Barbosa can either finish the drive, throw it up to Jeff, or pop it to Lee in the corner"

Green has no in-between game. Just look at him drive to the basket and ending up falling down, getting an offensive foul, getting blocked, or missing badly. 

And I'm not the only who said Jeff Green has no in-between game. Even Tommy Heinsohn is saying that.

Consider this point as well, he is playing alongside a born scorer PP.  A player who if he can't drive thinks of a mid range shot.  It seems if Green can play with a player like PP he should be learning some what a master scorer has learned.  He seems not to be getting it at all.  Still time for him but it seems as you said he is not been born with this mentality.  It may be trading him is the only logical thing now.  Although Bass and Green are at the bottom of their value right now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

Develop the 'ooop for Green so he can dunk on his own head:

http://vertical-jump-how-to-jump-higher.com/dunks-2/jeff-green-dunks-on-his-own-head/

Get real. Even if the Celtics guards started working in practices on alley oop plays starring Jeff Green, how many times can they actually execute these in games? Green is not an extraordinary leaper. He can't even grab rebounds above the rim. I can't picture him muscling through opponent bigs to grab position for an 'oop. Green's 'oops will be limited to break away plays. If Green had his way, he'd probably be attempting 3-pointers all game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

Green has no in-between game. Just look at him drive to the basket and ending up falling down, getting an offensive foul, getting blocked, or missing badly. 

And I'm not the only who said Jeff Green has no in-between game. Even Tommy Heinsohn is saying that.

Consider this point as well, he is playing alongside a born scorer PP.  A player who if he can't drive thinks of a mid range shot.  It seems if Green can play with a player like PP he should be learning some what a master scorer has learned.  He seems not to be getting it at all.  Still time for him but it seems as you said he is not been born with this mentality.  It may be trading him is the only logical thing now.  Although Bass and Green are at the bottom of their value right now.

Jeff Green is a five-year NBA veteran (although he missed a season due to his heart ailment). His playing style is pretty much set, and I don't think it's in him to add much versatility to his game. Athletic he is, but he's just not superstar material. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

YOU ARE ALL MISSING THE POINT!

When he's not shooting spot-up 3's, the 2nd unit gives him the ball at the three point line and lets him try to drive to the basket, or dish it back out. This is so inefficient, its carcinogenic.

Why doesn't he get to the basket without the ball, in a catch-and-finish fashion?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

The problem with Green is he doesn't have that scorer's mentality. I've been watching him get the ball and just pass it again to another player without attempting to shoot or drive.

Scorers are not made, they are born.

wow.  scorers are not made.  that is deep.  only green did score 16 a night for OKC for years. 

the problem with green and alley oops is that while he has enough quickness to be considered "athletic" he really does not have superior leaping ability.  not sure how fierce could avoid that.  but he did.

look at his career in OKC and you'll see that green can score.

i posit the theory that green's ever-changing role with the celts has more to do with him not knowing what to do with the ball.  one game he might play 17 minutes and the next game 35 minutes.  and NO PLAYER is going to be their best in this demented rondo-ball-hog half court offense that we run where the ball is swung around the perimeter and then it's musicla chairs to see who's the last man standing (have to heave a long dumb shot that is covered) when the shot clock music stops....

in case you didn't notice "pass the ball" is what most of the c's do in our half court "offense"......  it's not exclusive to just green.  it's what they're told to do by anti-mastermind rivers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

the way you get green more alley oops is the same place he got them in OKC = on the break.  and due to our rebounding issues and the fact that rondo just doesn't see fit to push the tempo much, even though we now have some young athletic pieces for him to work with- we just are not breaking or hurry-up-ing that much.

it's pretty much the same as when we first got green and he would streak up the floor like he always had in OKC but the only problem was that nobody was getting him the ball......  we still have that problem, houston.  bad game pacing and ignoring of the talents of the supposedly "important future players" on the team

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

Green should play the two.

despite the fact that he couldn't guard 90% of the twos in the league to save his life and is barely adequate handling the ball at the three, and that guys like Joe Johnson (6 "7) are thought to be huge for the 2g position, you should definitely keep repeating this over and over and over and over again because after five years in the NBA no one has obviously thought of this and someone is definitely going to read this and make it happen. pure genius.