Did Danny pull a fast one on Doc?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from texasgreen. Show texasgreen's posts

Did Danny pull a fast one on Doc?

During Doc's first years of coaching with the Celtics he and Danny agreed to play players to showcase them for potential trades. The agreement if I recall it correctly was once the team had the players it wanted then Doc would get to play the players he wanted. It is interesting Danny includes Collins in the trade making Melo and Wilcox the only other players to backup Garnett. Looks like Doc's hand is forced to start playing the centers who were better than Collins. Hummmmmmmmm.

Look for Danny to explore trading Garnett and Pierce in the off-season. Perhaps Garnett agreed to waive his no trade clause if Danny kept the team together this season? If the Clippers don't make it to the Finals perhaps there is still a deal to be made before next season starts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

Re: Did Danny pull a fast one on Doc?

In response to texasgreen's comment:

During Doc's first years of coaching with the Celtics he and Danny agreed to play players to showcase them for potential trades. The agreement if I recall it correctly was once the team had the players it wanted then Doc would get to play the players he wanted. It is interesting Danny includes Collins in the trade making Melo and Wilcox the only other players to backup Garnett. Looks like Doc's hand is forced to start playing the centers who were better than Collins. Hummmmmmmmm.

Look for Danny to explore trading Garnett and Pierce in the off-season. Perhaps Garnett agreed to waive his no trade clause if Danny kept the team together this season? If the Clippers don't make it to the Finals perhaps there is still a deal to be made before next season starts.

It's not by accident that KG has a no-trade clause in his contract. It is likely that KG will opt for retirement rather than allow Danny Ainge to trade him during the offseason. I won't be surprised if Paul Pierce decides to call it quits too and retire a Celtic rather than be traded to another team. He only has a year beyond this one left on his contract and his salary is only partially guaranteed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

In response to edcap99's comment:

In response to texasgreen's comment:

It's not by accident that KG has a no-trade clause in his contract. It is likely that KG will opt for retirement rather than allow Danny Ainge to trade him during the offseason. I won't be surprised if Paul Pierce decides to call it quits too and retire a Celtic rather than be traded to another team. He only has a year beyond this one left on his contract and his salary is only partially guaranteed.

What cap space would they create if they both retired?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

are we seriously Starting to discuss summer trades. ludacris

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Yeah, lets let the season play out before we talk about this summer.

I would have rather seen Wilcox and Melo than Collins as well, perhaps Doc was being loyal to a vet? Wilcox at least was on the mend and rehabbing his thumb, but hopefully now will be ready to play 16-20 mins a night and give us 6-7 pts and 4-5 rebounds.

Melo won't get better unless he plays

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from postal5. Show postal5's posts

Ramekap,

You seem to be one poster who is still giving Melo a chance at being a force.  That block last night was easy in that the Laker driver telegraphed the move so Melo could get 3 step running start.  But, the power an authority of the block got a gasp out of the crowd.  Melo looks slow and clumsy in reacting to the pace of the game, and then he pulls off a powerful block that no one other than Howard could have done.  That can't be taught and it is not all about being 7'0".  I am curious to see more. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to postal5's comment:

Ramekap,

You seem to be one poster who is still giving Melo a chance at being a force.  That block last night was easy in that the Laker driver telegraphed the move so Melo could get 3 step running start.  But, the power an authority of the block got a gasp out of the crowd.  Melo looks slow and clumsy in reacting to the pace of the game, and then he pulls off a powerful block that no one other than Howard could have done.  That can't be taught and it is not all about being 7'0".  I am curious to see more. 

I am curious as well. Rookies that look awkward in 2 mins of garbage time over 3-4 games tend to get less awkward if they have a defined role in 10 mins of every game.

I don't think he will be a force this year... or much more than a Sam Dalembert type over an entire career (best case).... but he can contribute and get better. 

My only points as a Melo 'supporter' have been that Collins #'s this season were 10.3 mins, 1.2 points, 1.6 rebounds and 0.2 blocks. If Melo were to be given 10 mins at C for the rest of the season, is it too hard to imagine him getting 5x the blocks Collins was (as in just ONE per) and the SAME points (literally a bucket every other game) and maybe 2-3 boards? That would be considered an UPGRADE, unless Collins stat-less post defense is really that much superior.

Doc was playing the vet over the raw raw rook and now Danny removed that option. With Collins and Darko it was easy to have Melo stay in the D-league, now he will be on the 12 man. Either play him 8-12 mins a night or play Wilcox 18-22, but those are Doc's options and I like them better than 10 mins of Collins.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

I still believe that KG retires and PP is traded in the offseason. This will open things up for Ainge to go hard for Smith, Millsap or Big Al

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Ramekap,

I am curious as well. Rookies that look awkward in 2 mins of garbage time over 3-4 games tend to get less awkward if they have a defined role in 10 mins of every game.

I don't think he will be a force this year... or much more than a Sam Dalembert type over an entire career (best case).... but he can contribute and get better. 

My only points as a Melo 'supporter' have been that Collins #'s this season were 10.3 mins, 1.2 points, 1.6 rebounds and 0.2 blocks. If Melo were to be given 10 mins at C for the rest of the season, is it too hard to imagine him getting 5x the blocks Collins was (as in just ONE per) and the SAME points (literally a bucket every other game) and maybe 2-3 boards? That would be considered an UPGRADE, unless Collins stat-less post defense is really that much superior.

Doc was playing the vet over the raw raw rook and now Danny removed that option. With Collins and Darko it was easy to have Melo stay in the D-league, now he will be on the 12 man. Either play him 8-12 mins a night or play Wilcox 18-22, but those are Doc's options and I like them better than 10 mins of Collins.

Do your really think Melo will ever be able to score and rebound in this league like Dalemebert?

I hope so but don't see it at all.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

Ramekap,

Do your really think Melo will ever be able to score and rebound in this league like Dalemebert?

Not really, but I remember sitting in Gampel Pavilion snickering with other undergrads over how awkward and awful Seton Halls Haitian freshman Sam Dalembert looked. The guy was in his 2nd or 3rd year playing the game at the time. 2 years later he was getting 5 mins and like 1p/2r as an NBA rookie/project. Things clicked in like his 6th year of playing the game. Melo is in like his 4th year playing the game right now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Ramekap,

Not really, but I remember sitting in Gampel Pavilion snickering with other undergrads over how awkward and awful Seton Halls Haitian freshman Sam Dalembert looked. The guy was in his 2nd or 3rd year playing the game at the time. 2 years later he was getting 5 mins and like 1p/2r as an NBA rookie/project. Things clicked in like his 6th year of playing the game. Melo is in like his 4th year playing the game right now.

Waiting is something we have to do.  Too bad for KG though.  Could they try to get Darko back or is that door closed?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

DA said we had a realistic window of 3-5 years for the then new "Big 3" in 07-08. We can and will make an epic run in the off season. After that we will be the 80s Celtics who were too hurt to go on but he has a contingency plan. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from postal5. Show postal5's posts

Darko could only dream of making that intimidating block that Melo made.  I know Dalembert made many good ones.  But when Melo times it up, he is a level above Dalembert as a potential intimidator.  Of course, everybody is right that his rebounding sucks. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from texasgreen. Show texasgreen's posts

Ramekap,

I believe Danny pulled this to get Melo into the game knowing that Garnett would either retire or get traded in the off season and if any of Garnett's intensity passes to Melo it has to be this season. I think Ainge is getting ready for life after the big 3 and I expect there will be some interesting things to take place after the season. Danny might not have had a chance or opportunity to get a big but if he had Doc would definitely not have played Melo. I would not be surprised if there is no other big coming.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I do not see the Celtics playing Melo much more than he has already played, and also that another center will be found somewhere in the very near future to replace Collins on the bench an in games.
    Keeping Garnett and Pierce was clearly a sign of not throwing this season away.  Additional help will come very soon even it is not big time help.

Garnett and Pierce deserve to lead the team as far as they can this year with all the help that is humanly possible with a D-leaguer or a salary dump guy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

I'm willing to wait on Melo.  A year ago at this time, we had all spent a year and a half declaring AB a complete bust.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

COLLINS MIGHT EVEN COME BACK TO CELTICS AFTER WASHINGTON RELEASES HIM !

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Yeah, lets let the season play out before we talk about this summer.

I would have rather seen Wilcox and Melo than Collins as well, perhaps Doc was being loyal to a vet? Wilcox at least was on the mend and rehabbing his thumb, but hopefully now will be ready to play 16-20 mins a night and give us 6-7 pts and 4-5 rebounds.

Melo won't get better unless he plays

this is doc's ONLY strong skill as a coach.  go VET even if it kills the team.  unless it's rondo.  go rondo 10000000% of the time no matter what and never question him one bit. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from texasgreen. Show texasgreen's posts

I believe when Doc did not play Barbosa until the Rondo became hurt it caused Danny to realize he was going to have to force the issue. The new players or rookies have a difficult time getting playing time either because of Doc's system or Doc being subborn in only playing vets. It seen Danny really thought Barbosa was an asset not being used correctly and Doc was not playing Barbos much until the injury. People want to compare Doc to the Spurs' coach however at least Pop plays his younger players on the court. I do not know if it is because of the system or what but Pop definitely has the better overall view when it comes to developing players. When you see how Pop allows other players to play when sitting his stars it shows the other players he has confidence in them. That is something Doc should think about.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to PHX85014's comment:

COLLINS MIGHT EVEN COME BACK TO CELTICS AFTER WASHINGTON RELEASES HIM !

Not allowed under new CBA rules.

Doesn't he just has to wait 30 days?