Dirk or The Truth?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from edag. Show edag's posts

Dirk or The Truth?

Looking back on the 1998 draft (below), in hindsight, it would appear that the Celtics did extremely well in getting Pierce.  With the possible exception of Dirk, I would say that based on his entire career, Pierce turned out to be the best player in the draft.  I would have to rate his entire body of work over Bibby and Carter.

So that raises the question of Pierce or Dirk, as the Celtics missed by only one pick of having a shot at Dirk.  If you could turn back the hands of time, and if you could have somehow traded up to the #9 position, and Pierce and Dirk were both still on the board -- knowing what you know now -- who would you take?

1. Michael Olowokandi  Pacific                 LA Clippers
    2. Mike Bibby          Arizona                 Vancouver
    3. Raef LaFrentz       Kansas                  Denver
    4. Antawn Jamison      North Carolina          Toronto
    5. Vince Carter        North Carolina          Golden State
    6. Robert Traylor      Michigan                Dallas
    7. Jason Williams      Florida                 Sacramento
    8. Larry Hughes        St Louis                Philadelphia
    9. Dirk Nowitzki       DJK Wurzberg (Germany)  Milwaukee
    10. Paul Pierce         Kansas                  Boston

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrade. Show notrade's posts

Re: Dirk or The Truth?

In Response to Dirk or The Truth?:
    You take Pierce,because you already had Walker.
    Dirk may failed in Boston and been trade by Pitino!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donquique. Show donquique's posts

I remember that the Celtics were trying to trade up to get Dirk. Pitino went to Germany to see him work out. If Dirk was on the board, most possible they would had drafted him, traded Walker and got Pierce via trade...

That works!

I would draft Pierce though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

It a tough one. I remember watching the draft and thought we were going to get Dirk and I was all excited until Dallas drafted him. I've always been a Dirkster fan ever since I saw destroy a USA jr team, he had a triple double in like 15 minutes he did everything. I know it was a jr olympic game but I have never seen anyone dominate a game like he did ever. PP,was said to be drafted by Mavs according to the"experrts" when he started to fall. PP was pegged as a top 3-5 pick but kept falling. Pretty much everyone in my family are BBall fans so we've had this conversation and usually comes out,either one. You can't say who would've worked better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

In Response to Re: Dirk or The Truth?:
    [QUOTE]I remember that the Celtics were trying to trade up to get Dirk. Pitino went to Germany to see him work out. If Dirk was on the board, most possible they would had drafted him, traded Walker and got Pierce via trade... That works! I would draft Pierce though.
    Posted by donquique[/QUOTE]

Correct.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Look they are both unique, consistent, and high level hall of famers.  The answer is after all these years it is equal for all practical purposes.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

I remember working at the Summer League right after the draft that year and wasn't really all that impressed with Pierce then. I also think his game and atitude was influenced negatively by Pitino & Walker early in his career but I think everything turned out for the best and both he and Dirk should be HOF bound.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I would have taken Pierce.  Better all around talent (rebounding for his position and passing and defense).  Dirk has just come into his own on passing in the past couple of years although he was always a good shooter.

I think Pierce never had a bad influence from Walker.  In fact, I think it was the opposite.  Walker took a lot of the heat for Pierce when PP was supposed to be a leader and he wasn't.  Walker pumped him up when he was down and Walker gave him confidence as well as great setup passes ( used to love AW passing to PP for a back door dunk or back door lay up).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from truth-torpedo34. Show truth-torpedo34's posts

Pierce has the hardware and Dirk has the individual accolades. I've been a longtime pierce supporter, and he was the player who most inspired me to play when I was a kid. Dirk is a rare player who has just turned the corner with his skill set this far into his career. I hope Dirk gets his title this year against the heat-rash. Both players ended up better than were expected for each franchise.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Dirk or The Truth?:
    [QUOTE]Pierce has the hardware and Dirk has the individual accolades. I've been a longtime pierce supporter, and he was the player who most inspired me to play when I was a kid. Dirk is a rare player who has just turned the corner with his skill set this far into his career. I hope Dirk gets his title this year against the heat-rash. Both players ended up better than were expected for each franchise.
    Posted by truth-torpedo34[/QUOTE]

Great post and I agree with you 100%.  Pierce has been one of my favorite Celtics players since he has played for the Celtics.  Dirk was always a great player and it would be terrific to see him win this year.  Also really like Dallas since the coach is a former Celtic and I really like Barea who is a local success,
    (Northeastern University). 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Good idea for a thread. I remember that draft well. As previous notes pointed out, Pitino wanted Dirk and didn't get him. However Pierce was projected to be a top 5 pick and slid down to number 10. As Pitino said at the time, " picking Pierce was a no brainer." Again as others said, both are great players and hall of fame bound. It's apples and oranges to me. You couldn't have gone wrong by drafting either Pierce or Dirk. I'm glad Pierce is a Celtic and I hope he finishes his career here. I know he's signed for 3 more years, but that's not a guarantee of staying with the C's. Anybody can be traded.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Kind of off the subject but if PP had played for the Fakers instead of KOME then Paul would have multiple championships and Kome probably wouldn't had any.. Numerous players could have played with Shaq in their hayday and won the titles that KOME won.

As far as Dirk and PP,  Paul was more agressive for quite a few years than Dirk.  I think Dirks game is better at this point because he doesn't need to be a athelete to suceed.   Of course  with our setup in boston and slowing the ball down  all our players numbers go down. If we were running and gunning I have no doubt Paul could still average 25 pts a game.  Anyway I won't rehash it,  I will stick with Paul