DJ in HOF--about time

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

Re: DJ in HOF--about time

DJ-yawn!!

The real story is Dr Buss and his HOF entry. Congrats to the greatest owner in sports, long may it continue.

Buss, 76, will be the third Laker to go into the Hall of Fame as a contributor, joining broadcaster Chick Hearn and Pete Newell.

Under Buss' guidance, the Lakers have won 10 NBA championships, the latest coming in June over the Boston Celtics, and been to 16 Finals.

Buss declined interview requests, so others had to speak for him.

"I'm overtaken by emotion because he is so deserving," said Johnson, who will be inducted into the Hall of Fame for the second time. "The league wouldn't be where it is if it hadn't been for Dr. Buss.

"If you talk about the fan experience, he was way ahead of the curve. He was way ahead of his time, with the team on the court, with the Laker Girls, with the band. He really understood fan experience way before it became common like it is now."

When he took over the Lakers, Buss seemed to have a vision and it started when the team won a coin flip and selected Johnson from Michigan State with the No. 1 overall pick in 1979.

That spun the era known as "Showtime."

"He taught us about consistency in management," NBA Commissioner David Stern said in a statement. "Under his leadership, the Lakers have been perennial contenders. Their record is really quite extraordinary in terms of Finals appearances.

"He taught us about entertainment value and Showtime. And he very much led the way with respect of the understanding of the court-side seat — sports meeting beachfront property. I applaud the selection."

In the eyes of Jeanie Buss, Jerry's daughter and the team's executive vice president of business operations, her dad is the best owner in sports.

"He knows the formula. He's committed to winning," Jeanie said. "But he's smart because he runs it like a business. Usually people think that when you run something like a business, that means you can't win. But he's proven that you can be successful on the floor and off the floor, and that's a model that has brought him so much success."

West and Buss worked together to build championship teams in the 1980s and then again in the early 2000s with three titles in a row.

"I'm thrilled for Jerry," West said. "He deserves to be in there. His success is incredible."

Like Johnson, West will be inducted into the Hall of Fame for the second time. He was enshrined as a player in 1980 and now will go in with the 1960 Olympic team.

"I'm excited for the other guys," West said. "I'm excited that I'm in with the team."

Johnson recalled how the Dream Team blew out every opponent, winning by an average of 43.8 points, and never having Coach Chuck Daly call a timeout.

"It's great to represent the Lakers and represent this great city of Los Angeles," said Johnson, who was enshrined as a player in 2002. "That's what I've always tried to do since I've come here, is just represent the whole community and Lakers fans. It'll be a Laker day, in a sense."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

Jerry Buss.  Yes, he deserves to be in the HOF.  Hard to believe he's owned the Lakers for over 30 years.   Seems like only yesterday that he welcomed Magic Johnson.

Yes, owners should be recognized.  If Walter Brown is in the HOF, Buss should be as well.

However, denigrating a great player like DJ is crass and shows a total lack of class.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I believe that is just the younger generation trying to get attention.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

DJ was great! DJ may well have been the C's coach by now, Ainge may have given him a chance.

I was a Sonics fan when him and Gus Williams were terrorizing backcourts. They made him look like a malcontent when he was traded to the Suns. When the C's got him that was the missing piece.

Dj was clutch and would use that big a-- to back you down. The biggest shot was the elbow jumper with :15 left to bury the Lakers. Huge shot!!

I always wondered what would've happened had he missed the layup off the Bird steal vs the Pistons. That ball looked like it was going to come out. I'm glad it didn't.

RIP DJ

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm02130. Show jm02130's posts

Contratulations to DJ, wherever you are. They also elected Gus Johnson poasthumously, and its about time.

The two guys who need to be elected next are Artis Gilmore and Bernard King, hopefully while both are still alive.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to DJ in HOF--about time:
    [QUOTE]E http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2010/08/13/the_inimitable_celtic/ Excellent article by Bob Ryan on the man Larry Bird has always called the greatest he's ever played with. DJ should have been in the HOF years ago. RIP DJ
    Posted by paulliu[/QUOTE]

Great idea, great link, great article, great quote.

I always loved Bird's quote about DJ being the best player he ever played with.  He was clutch all the way.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

In Response to Re: DJ in HOF--about time:
    [QUOTE]Contratulations to DJ, wherever you are. They also elected Gus Johnson poasthumously, and its about time. The two guys who need to be elected next are Artis Gilmore and Bernard King, hopefully while both are still alive.
    Posted by jm02130[/QUOTE]
    Bernard King yes, but Artis Gilmore? When Bernard King was not injured, he was one of the best players in the NBA. He was amazing. He may have been considered one of the best 20 players of all-time if not for his knee injuries. I'm saying a lot, but Bernard was that good. Being from Northern California, I watched him a lot during his early years with the Warriors. We all remember his battles with the C's in the 80's when he played for the Knicks and that was after his knee surgeries. I must point out that knee surgery during Bernard's time was not nearly as advanced as it is today. This was before arthoscopic knee surgery.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

Gilmore was a monster before leg injuries slowed him down.  Didn't he have some 20-20 seasons in the ABA?

I'm suprised Bernard King isn't in the HOF already.  And I'm glad to see Gus Johnson make it.   He was quick, fast and as strong as a bull with a game that today's fans would appreciate.

Loved watching him going against Dave Debusschere in the early 70's.  That was a back alley rumble if there ever was one.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

There were many things I liked about Ryan's tribute to DJ but probably my favorite was his characterization of DJ as sui generis.  Ryan is right in that there have been no players in the last quarter century that have been like DJ.

DJ didn't fit into easy categories.  He was a shooting guard who wasn't a great shooter--except when it really counted.  He was a point guard who didn't have a game like a protoypical pointguard but in Larry Bird's words, "He always got the ball to me exactly where I wanted it."

He holds the final's record for blocked shots (they didn't keep stats on this when Russell played).  I rememeber watching that game and seeing DJ go up with the Bullets' guards and flick away 20 foot jump shots.

He could still sky when he came to Boston but there was one aspect of his game that you don't see much any more: conservation of energy.  I don't mean he didn't put out but he had an economy of moves and did not waste energy.  Instead he seemd to know exactly how much effort it took to get it done.

And he and Bird had some kind of telepathy going.   About two or three times a game Bird would be on the baseline and if he even sensed his man taking a look to see where the ball was he'd cut to the basket and get a bullet pass from DJ for a layup.  There were times that Bird's man would turn his head just in time  to see DJ flicking the pass then turn his head again to find Bird only to have DJ's pass graze  his ear leading to a Bird layup.

I would just laugh when I saw this.  Man, it was beautiful.

DJ was meant  to be a Celtic.  Hey, he was drafted by Bill Russell as a virtual unknown.  Russ said in his book "Second Wind" something like, "We drafted a guy named Dennis Johnson who I felt was good enough to be  starter on a championship team."  As usual, Mr Russell knew what he was talking about.

I am so happy that DJ finally has gotten his well deserved place in the HOF.

Rest in peace DJ.  You were one of a kind.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Was going to post a question in regards to how you guys felt about Johnson's induction into the hall.

The only endorsement I needed for the guy was Larry Bird calling him his 'greatest teammate'. Bird isn't the sort of guy who'll talk for the sake of it. Or make grand comments about players that he doesn't believe in. 

I think that going to the Celtics saved Dennis Johnson's career and allowed him to enter the hall of fame. He did great in Seattle but what he accomplished there and in Phoenix wouldn't have been enough. Celtics certainly took a chance as the guy had the habit of burning his bridges and had a bad reputation. He always had the ability but perhaps lacked the maturity to go along with it.

I'll offer my congrats to Dennis and his family it's richly deserved. And it's completely tragic that he's not here to see it. R.I.P. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

When they traded for DJ I was pretty leery; when a great coach like Lenny Wilkens publically calls a player  "a cancer" it gets your attention.

And DJ did have his moments in Boston.  Ryan in his article alludes to regular season games when DJ would just check himself out of the offense.  I recall one game when DJ took ZERO shots in over 30 minutes of PT.

But these games were almost always against lesser teams.  You just knew that DJ would be there in big games.

After a few years I just accepted that DJ would occasionlly choose not play against a pedestrian opponent because I knew he would be a warrior when it counted.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

...and, you know what? .....Maxwell did the same thing....he stated before some games...."you're on your own boys, Max don't play hard against the JV's"....but come crunch time against the best.....well, Max was the finals MVP in the first "Bird era" championship.....and he was the game 7 MVP when we beat Magic's Lakers.....DJ and Max (a favorite of mine).....clutch guys and winners...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

[QUOTE]Gilmore was a monster before leg injuries slowed him down.  Didn't he have some 20-20 seasons in the ABA? I'm suprised Bernard King isn't in the HOF already.  And I'm glad to see Gus Johnson make it.   He was quick, fast and as strong as a bull with a game that today's fans would appreciate. Loved watching him going against Dave Debusschere in the early 70's.  That was a back alley rumble if there ever was one.
    Posted by paulliu[/QUOTE]
       I stand corrected. I looked Artis up and his stats were better than I remembered. He averaged 19 pts and 12 rebs in his career. No 20/20 seasons, but never the less, very impressive stats. He was overshadowed by other centers during his era such as Kareem, Cowens, Unseld, E. Hayes etc.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm02130. Show jm02130's posts

Gilmore's best years were in the ABA, not the NBA.  That Kentucky Colonels team with Gilmore, Louis Dampier, Dan Issel, Darel Carrier, etc.  would have been a contender in the NBA.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]...and, you know what? .....Maxwell did the same thing....he stated before some games...."you're on your own boys, Max don't play hard against the JV's"....but come crunch time against the best.....well, Max was the finals MVP in the first "Bird era" championship.....and he was the game 7 MVP when we beat Magic's Lakers.....DJ and Max (a favorite of mine).....clutch guys and winners...
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Was reading in the Magic/Bird book that Max's approach the game infuriated Bird no end. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

Max was a great and underrated player.  He was one of the best inside scorers in the league but saw his offensive role steadily diminish year by year as the Celtics first got Bird and then McHale and Parish.

The year before Bird came, Max avg'ed almost 20 ppg while leading the league with a FG% of around .588 and setting a then record for Celtics' FT attempts.  In Bird's first year Max's FG attempts, not suprisngly, went down but he still scored at an almost 17 ppg clip while again leading the league shooting over 60%.

When Parish and McHale came aboard, Max was asked to be the defensive stopper.  This he did, covering the best offensive forwards.  He had never been known as a defender but became a very effective one.  Fitch cracked that had he asked to Max to cover Dr J the year before two things would have happened: Max would have asked to be traded or Red Auerbach would have fired Fitch.

But Max still had offensive game and he would remind everyone just how good he was in the big ones.  In 1981's game five finals he torched the Rockets for 28 points and 15 rebounds.  In 1984's game seven against the Lakers he schooled James Worthy in the lowpost.  I think he shot around 17 FT's and led the team with 24 points.

But I think that Max became increasingly frustrated as McHale became the main low post option and he was asked to do the dirty work in the trenches with increasingly fewer touches.  After signing a big contract extension the next season, Max injured his knee and, in the judgement of Bird and the coaches, took his sweet time about rehabing.  The C's gave up their title to LA that spring and Max was totally ineffective.

That off season, they traded him for Bill Walton.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Great post Paul.....you are spot on....Max was very talented and very underrated...had he been healthy (along with Bird) the Celtics don't lose that series to the Lakers (look out.....incoming troll warnings)....Max was a great person too.....I got to meet him when JoJo White held a weekend charity event.. spent several hours and spoke at length with "Bread" and he is one funny and outgoing dude!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DJ in HOF--about time : Was reading in the Magic/Bird book that Max's approach the game infuriated Bird no end. 
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Isn't that a great book? I came away with so much respect for these guys......classic case of competitors becoming great friends.....a great story!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

[QUOTE]Great post Paul.....you are spot on....Max was very talented and very underrated...had he been healthy (along with Bird) the Celtics don't lose that series to the Lakers (look out.....incoming troll warnings)....Max was a great person too.....I got to meet him when JoJo White held a weekend charity event.. spent several hours and spoke at length with "Bread" and he is one funny and outgoing dude!!!
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Duke, Maxwell was one of my favorite players from that era.  Besides being a great player he was the most quotable Celtic.  Articulate, intelligent and funny.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

you said it pal...the guy was funny as hell.....also one hell of a ballplayer....would've been a 20/10 guy if he hadn't had to have take a back seat....it really is too bad that he got in Red's doghouse after failing to work hard on the rehab....but it did get us one wonderful year of Bill Walton in Celtic green...

22. This post has been removed.