Do the Celtics ever try block out?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Re: Do the Celtics ever try block out?

[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Technique is very important.

Doc is the problem. He never emphasises blocking out.

[/QUOTE]

Coaching will not take a guy who's been a poor rebounder his whole life and immediately change that.   KG is older.  Bass, Green, and others were never good rebounders.   Pierce is older (and slower).   Our problem is that we are small.  It will give us some advantages this year, but we don't have Perk, Shaq, PJ Brown, a young KG, etc so we will also see the DISADVANTAGES of being small.  We will get pushed around a lot.

If Darko was more than a waste of space or if Melo was ready, we could change this.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Coaching will not take a guy who's been a poor rebounder his whole life and immediately change that.   KG is older.  Bass, Green, and others were never good rebounders.   Pierce is older (and slower).   Our problem is that we are small.  It will give us some advantages this year, but we don't have Perk, Shaq, PJ Brown, a young KG, etc so we will also see the DISADVANTAGES of being small.  We will get pushed around a lot.

If Darko was more than a waste of space or if Melo was ready, we could change this.

[/QUOTE]

i don't understand this.  darko has been YES, a big let down, but he was 7 and 7 with 2 blocks in low 20 minutes for minutes the years he has gotten to play.  WE NEED THAT!!  is he really hurt here in BOS or what is going on ?

Wilcox is too wispy to bang around inside- mikki moore 2 inches shorter.  if this team does not get a masher who can rebound more than sullinger has shown the ability to we are done.  How dumb is it getting to look with the letting of Steamer walk with his size and 3rd in shot blocking in the nba per 48 minutes?

He wasn't perfect but we got him for free an di did see general improvements as the season wore on last year.  it was DOC's flat out stupidity not to play the guy AT ALL until 3 legged horse JerLame O'neal finally broke after 20 games

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to Fiercest34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Kirk6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Doc likes small ball.

Small ball never works.

[/QUOTE]

That really contradicts what you were saying about the Celts being 1 win away from the Finals. The Celts were 1 win away from the Finals with KG and Bass. This season it's still KG and Bass. 

[/QUOTE]

honestly.  we had no chance to win vs. MIA last year.  we did it with mirrors beyond our expiration date of content and quality of game with pierce under-performing and KG gassing out.  bass proved he was nothing in the crunch in the playoffs. 

so doc went out and sign green long for big money.  plus we have other new parts this year who are not gelling well and not getting enough looks.  all things being equal, no jerlame o'neal, no steamer, who came after he failed, we are A LOT WORSE AT THE 5 THAN EVER BEFORE.  and it shows

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Fiercest34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Kirk6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to CHEisCHE's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kirk -- blocking out is a part of inside game that Che was complaining from the start that they didn't have. If you don't have an inside game, there is no ability to block out...simple as that

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So Doc didn't emphasize blocking out in 2008 when the Celts averaged 42 rpg? 

How about in 2009, the Celts averaged 42.1 rpg, Doc didn't emphasize blocking out that season too?

It's not Doc, it's KG getting old!

That's why the Celts need to upgrade that PF position, KG needs help!

KG is a career 10-11 rebounds per game player. Right now KG is only averaging 8 boards per game.

[/QUOTE]

Agree we need help.  KG getting old is mainly effecting his minutes. That is the reason he averages 8 rebounds per game compared to his his career 10.6.  He is playing 8 less minutes a game.  You think that might have something to do with the 3 rebound difference?  I imagine he could get at least 1 and probably 2 rebounds more per game if he played 8 more minutes. 

Docs system is only partially the problem.  He doesn't emphasize getting offensive rebounds, but would rather people get back on defense. I would prefer a couple guys fight for offensive boards and everyone else get back.  Boxing out and keeping the other team from getting offensive boards is another story.  I have no idea if Doc stresses boxing out but if i were to bet,  it would be he stresses it all the time.  If players don't do it then its up to Doc to correct the problem.  Going small has a lot to do with our rebounding problems.  I would love for Doc to make teams adjust to us and not us adjust to them.  I hate it when he says we had to go small.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

I read this @ another forum.

Denver leads the league with 16.9 OR  per game. Boston is dead last with 6.8 per game, 10.1 per game fewer than Denver and 1.3 per game fewer than the next worst, OKC.

Doc's calculus is that they save more points on the defensive end than they would gain on the offensive end. It's noteworthy that, besides Boston, the five worst in the league at offensive rebounding are OKC, the Clippers, Miami, and the Spurs, otherwise known as some of the best teams in the league. Those same five teams are also the five best in the league at field goal percentage, so they have fewer missed shots to rebound.

But most of those other teams are better than the Celtics on the defensive boards. Giving up offensive rebounds as a strategy is fine, but you better take care of business on the defensive end, and the Celtics are lacking in that area. Focusing on fundamentals like boxing out would help.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I agree that Doc Rivers and his staff must just not coach/emphasize rebounding enough in practices or games.   His team is constantly outrebounded year after year after year.

It is nice when you have a guy who is personally motivated to rebound and even nicer if that guy really has a nose for the ball, but it really takes neither of these two skills to at least be a reasonable rebounder at any level.

Rebounding is much more about just wanting to keep one opponent off the rebound every time a shot goes up instead of watching the flight of the ball once it is in the air.  Everyone in the NBA is tall enough to rebound so it is not a lack of height thing even when the Celtics play their "small" line ups, but you can see the Celtics watching that in-flight ball quite often.

More emphasis and more coaching time are needed to get the message heard about the advantages of out rebounding the opponent.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Boxing out is key!

Desire to go get the b-ball is also key!