Doc Rivers is just above average

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticjay. Show celticjay's posts

Doc Rivers is just above average

Was Doc super successful before Tom T. came?  Answer is NO...

I think we really see who the better coach is right now.  They just dominated tonight and coaching was the major reason.  Celtics have more talent and Bulls have better coaching.  

Don't see us beating them in the playoffs unless Shaq clobbers Rose into an injury..

Very disappointing game...

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticjay. Show celticjay's posts

Re: Doc Rivers is just above average

Honestly,

Doc was never a great defensive coach ever!!!

Only when Thibs came aboard did that change. Doc is a great motivator and good coach but Thibs is special. I just wish the celtics held on to him.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticjay. Show celticjay's posts

In Response to Re: Doc Rivers is just above average:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Doc Rivers is just above average : You haven't answered my question. How championship rings does Thibs have as head coach?
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Stupid question not worth answering. It's like asking how many have I won as a head coach....

I love Doc, I've just though the was  a bit over rated. How many Fire Doc posts were on this board 4years ago....

I think Doc is a much better coach now but a big part is he learned defense from Thibs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

Doc has handled this team as good as anyone else could have. C's have been hit with alot this year. I won't judge him on this season until we've played our last game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

How many rings has DOc won as an assistant coach?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbrr7. Show paulbrr7's posts

Doc is a veteran coach, he only knows how to coach one way. Which has been pretty successful for him in past years with the players he once had. However this is a different team who can't play to that system. The problem with Doc is he either can't or refuses to adjust his system with the players he has been dealt. Great coaches make adjustments to get the most out of their players abilities. Doc expects players to adjust to him and his style of play. 

Nevertheless, if Paul, Kevin and Ray don't show up I'm not sure any coach can over come that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Well Rivers did win a coach of the year award in Orlando. I don't think he's a bad coach at all. Was good for this Celtics team. A little like K.C. Jones back in the 80's. Not the greatest coach, but a good fit for the team he had.

Serious chance of Rivers coaching the Celtics to a championship this year and then riding off into the sunset. And being loved by Celtics fans for years afterwards. As tmot said, judge him on the last game this year. Also importantly judge the players on the court.

Coaches seem to get more blame than the players when a team is failing which at times is extremely unfair on them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]How long has doc been coaching??????? Did Doc have the same record of Tom in his first year?????? How many times has Tom been fired???? (using your logic, he couldn't be fired it's his first coaching job just like he couldn't win) Doc was fired by the Magic. Tom might get his and a few more with the young core of players the Bulls have (unlike us)
    Posted by RicoCeltic[/QUOTE]

Doc Rivers has a great reputation as a coach.  He is respected by players on other teams as well.  Thibs is great, right?  How is Rambis doing?
    Show's who really knows how to coach!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from calvinator. Show calvinator's posts

I don't think Thibs could have done much with the pre big 3 Celts. Even Red and John Wooden would have had a challenge with that group.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]HAHAHA!!! HOW MANY CHAMPIONSHIP RINGS, AS HEAD COACH, DOES THIBS HAVE?

So you really do think Phil Jackson is the greatest coach of all time!!   I thought so!!  HAHAHA

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Doc Rivers is just above average:
    [QUOTE]Was Doc super successful before Tom T. came?  Answer is NO... I think we really see who the better coach is right now.  They just dominated tonight and coaching was the major reason.  Celtics have more talent and Bulls have better coaching.   Don't see us beating them in the playoffs unless Shaq clobbers Rose into an injury.. Very disappointing game...
    Posted by celticjay[/QUOTE]

Yes, if Doc didn't miss break away layups, have his 7 footer get blocked by the rim, miss nearly all of his 3 pointers, and throw the ball directly to the defense with lazy stupid passes on 3 STRAIGHT POSSESSIONS at a critical point in the game....then he would be a better coach.   If Doc figures out how to stop the single player who is likely the NBA MVP and has killed EVERY team, then he'd be a better coach (oh wait - he did exactly that with Lebron 2 times, didn't he????).  Ooops, my bad for asking that question.

Some day, we'll all give the Bulls some credit - they wanted it more, Rose dominated our point guard, and the Bulls are younger/more energetic.   Some of that is coaching......but most of it is on the players.  Our players are NOT ready for the playoffs.  Mentally, they are just NOT focused.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Doc Rivers is just above average :  So you really do think Phil Jackson is the greatest coach of all time!!   I thought so!!  HAHAHA
    Posted by kyceltic[/QUOTE]

The Bulls were not a championship team when he arrived KY. Obviously had the right man management skills for the team, otherwise they may well have been just like Philadelphia in the late 80s early 90s before Barkley left.

Also think a convincing argument could be made that Chicago would have won 8 titles in a row if Jordan didn't play baseball for a year and a half.  Good on Hakeem for winning two titles with the Rockets, you play who you play. But if Jordan was with the bulls he'd have been like Malone and Ewing. Champion player without a championship.

I don't think just anyone could have coached that Bulls team. Was just a combination of the correct choices which is all anything in life is.

When it comes to Celtic head coaches? Bill Russell all the way.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I think DOc should get the blame for players missing breakaway layups. He obviously didnt have the team do enough layup drills in practice. Some coaches forget the fundamentals are the most important.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticjay. Show celticjay's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Doc Rivers is just above average : It's not a stupid question. You really think head coaches don't feel the pressure in the playoffs? You know who Mike Brown is? He was coach of the year in 2009, if you didn't know.  The point is coaches will also make mistakes if they are under pressure. Coaches also choke. Remember Pat Riley refusing to take out John Starks in Game 7 of the 1994 Finals?  How Thibs reacts to the playoff pressure remains to be seen!

Still think this is a stupid question asking how many titles Thibs has won.  When he has never had a chance.  Try to see that I'm not slamming Doc, I'm just simply stating that he was never a great defensive coach until Thibs arrived.  He had the ability to realize his own weaknesses and hire a guru.  Good on him. I just think the Celts look like the Pistons that one the title with Larry Brown. He instilled the defensive system then Rick Carlisle took over.  Each year you could see the defensive system slowly erode.  Not right away mind you but slowly.  Seems to be the case with the celts now.  They are still good but it's just not the same lately.  I don't know how many interviews from celts players last playoffs that they would reference coach Thibs.  Tony allen would always talk about what coach thibs asked him to do.  Doc just let thibs manage the defense and now he lets Coach Frank do this.  It isn't the same and the Celts are in trouble. unless Doc can figure it out.   This team should be doing better, especially on offense...  Too much talent to have this much trouble scoring..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Doc Rivers is just above average : Still think this is a stupid question asking how many titles Thibs has won.  When he has never had a chance.  Try to see that I'm not slamming Doc, I'm just simply stating that he was never a great defensive coach until Thibs arrived.  He had the ability to realize his own weaknesses and hire a guru.  Good on him. I just think the Celts look like the Pistons that one the title with Larry Brown. He instilled the defensive system then Rick Carlisle took over.  Each year you could see the defensive system slowly erode.  Not right away mind you but slowly.  Seems to be the case with the celts now.  They are still good but it's just not the same lately.  I don't know how many interviews from celts players last playoffs that they would reference coach Thibs.  Tony allen would always talk about what coach thibs asked him to do.  Doc just let thibs manage the defense and now he lets Coach Frank do this.  It isn't the same and the Celts are in trouble. unless Doc can figure it out.   This team should be doing better, especially on offense...  Too much talent to have this much trouble scoring..
    Posted by celticjay[/QUOTE]

Last season the Celtics were allowing opponents to score 95.6 ppg. This season the Celtics are #1 in points allowed,  90.9 ppg. The Celtics are also better this season in opponent's FG%, they are holding opponents to 43.3%, good for 2nd in the league. Last season the Celtics were allowing opponents to shoot an average of 45.1%. So saying the Celtic defense is not the same ever since Thibodeau left is not accurate.

The Celtics problem in scoring only started in March. From November even up to the trade of Perk the Celts had no problem scoring points. The last 5 games the Celtics scored 101, 99, and 104 in the wins and 83 and 81 in the losses. In that span no opponent scored 100 or more on the Celtics. So the defense is there even if Thibodeau has left.

It's true that the Celtics should be playing better basketball. But don't forget that KG will soon turn 35, Ray is 35, and Pierce is 34 years old. There's a reason why older players get replaced by younger players.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Doc Rivers is just above average : Last season the Celtics were allowing opponents to score 95.6 ppg. This season the Celtics are #1 in points allowed,  90.9 ppg. The Celtics are also better this season in opponent's FG%, they are holding opponents to 43.3%, good for 2nd in the league. Last season the Celtics were allowing opponents to shoot an average of 45.1%. So saying the Celtic defense is not the same ever since Thibodeau left is not accurate. The Celtics problem in scoring only started in March. From November even up to the trade of Perk the Celts had no problem scoring points. The last 5 games the Celtics scored 101, 99, and 104 in the wins and 83 and 81 in the losses. In that span no opponent scored 100 or more on the Celtics. So the defense is there even if Thibodeau has left. It's true that the Celtics should be playing better basketball. But don't forget that KG will soon turn 35, Ray is 35, and Pierce is 34 years old. There's a reason why older players get replaced by younger players.
    Posted by ConnectingRod[/QUOTE]

HAHAHA!!!