Doc sounds frustrated with the O'Neals

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Doc sounds frustrated with the O'Neals

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5792098

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but Doc doesn't sound like he expected for those two to be missing games already. We're not even 10 games in and haven't hit the dog days of Jan and these two are already sitting out. I expected it from Shaq but it's got to bother continuity. JON doesn't sound like a guy who is willing to fight through some injuries. He talks himself out of playing  more often than not. If you can't go you can't go but we need somebody to play. Erden is hurt, Shaq is hurt and let's knock on wood KG or BBD don't go down or it's going to get ugly. I guess there is a difference in playing hurt and playing injured.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

Re: Doc sounds frustrated with the O'Neals

It's frustrating but I'd rather have the O'Neils healthy when it really matters.

This team obvioulsy has some age to protect and if it means a less than stellar regular season record so be it.  I think the team's main regular season goal should be to get into the playoffs physically intact.

Of course, developing continuity is important but continuity is useless if you don't have the key players available.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Jermaine needs to gut it up. He's being payed 6 million per season and he sits out practice and games for a bit of swelling in his knee. With all the MRI's professional athletes get, the team would know if he some type of severe injury.
        Some may take my statement here as acting macho, but I don't intend it to. When I used to play just high school and city league, I almost always had stiffness, pain and swelling in my right knee. So did many of my team mates over the years. We played through it and we weren't getting paid a nickel.
        Playing with a severe injury such as slightly torn tendons or torn meniscus is not advisable, but just a little swelling is no big deal. Ice it after practice and games. Playing with minor injuries is part of sports. Jermaine needs to man up a little more. I've always respected Jermaine's basketball talent, but now that he's a Celtic and I read the stories on his injuries, he just seems to pamper himself with minor pain. Doc does sound frustrated in that article and I can't blame him. I am and I'm only a fan.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from markp99. Show markp99's posts

O'Neals = Glass = Bust

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

In Response to Doc sounds frustrated with the O'Neals:
    [QUOTE]http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5792098 Maybe I'm reading too much into it but Doc doesn't sound like he expected for those two to be missing games already. We're not even 10 games in and haven't hit the dog days of Jan and these two are already sitting out. I expected it from Shaq but it's got to bother continuity. JON doesn't sound like a guy who is willing to fight through some injuries. He talks himself out of playing  more often than not. If you can't go you can't go but we need somebody to play. Erden is hurt, Shaq is hurt and let's knock on wood KG or BBD don't go down or it's going to get ugly. I guess there is a difference in playing hurt and playing injured.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

dude...you are correct....I think DOC is most pissed about

the poor physical condition both dudes reported to camp in...

and it's too late to get them in shape while they are injured....

where is "THE BARON EARL OF  BIG-APPLE"...

he must have a stupid aaazzz agent like "ARIZA".....

BEAT L. A. ......BEAT L.A. ......BEAT L. A. ...... 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Erden is hurt?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

In Response to Re: Doc sounds frustrated with the O'Neals:
    [QUOTE]Jermaine needs to gut it up. He's being payed 6 million per season and he sits out practice and games for a bit of swelling in his knee. With all the MRI's professional athletes get, the team would know if he some type of severe injury.     Some may take my statement here as acting macho, but I don't intend it to. When I used to play just high school and city league, I almost always had stiffness, pain and swelling in my right knee. So did many of my team mates over the years. We played through it and we weren't getting paid a nickel.     Playing with a severe injury such as slightly torn tendons or torn meniscus is not advisable, but just a little swelling is no big deal. Ice it after practice and games. Playing with minor injuries is part of sports. Jermaine needs to man up a little more. I've always respected Jermaine's basketball talent, but now that he's a Celtic and I read the stories on his injuries, he just seems to pamper himself with minor pain. Doc does sound frustrated in that article and I can't blame him. I am and I'm only a fan.
    Posted by mem17[/QUOTE]

yo dude..since when...did a MAN...need to explain...apologize for ...

be embarrassed by.......BEING... A.... "MACHO"..... MAN.....Cool

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

[QUOTE]Erden is hurt?
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]Erden has been playing with a sore left shoulder. You will notice he has a wrap on it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Well were 7-2 and these guys aren't playing with injuries.  Erden getting time and producing.  Nothing wrong with this picture is there?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]Well were 7-2 and these guys aren't playing with injuries.  Erden getting time and producing.  Nothing wrong with this picture is there?
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

Absolutely true.  When D. West comes back the C's should cut Wafer and bring back Lasme and let him take some of those minutes JON should be getting. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]Jermaine needs to gut it up. He's being payed 6 million per season and he sits out practice and games for a bit of swelling in his knee. Posted by mem17[/QUOTE]

1. jerlame's body is AGED through playing pro ball since he was 18.  that knee is all done.  we might be able to trick some useful play out of it this year, hopefully late, but i'd say that's it.  the guy isn't worth the injury time.

2. the KNEE isn't the only thing SWELLIN'- the whole jerlame is a much doughier being than ever before.  he obviously can't keep himself in really good shape and have any knee left any more.  i feel bad for the guy.  he's probably looking @ knee replacement in his old age. 

he was a bad choice at $6m a year for us.  to roll the dice he might have bene worth vet min to 2 mil / year.  NOBODY was competing with us to sign him after his dead man impersonation in last year's playoffs.  it was like putting the money into the toilet (beyodn 2M) and pulling the lever.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Doc sounds frustrated with the O'Neals : 1. jerlame's body is AGED through playing pro ball since he was 18.  that knee is all done.  we might be able to trick some useful play out of it this year, hopefully late, but i'd say that's it.  the guy isn't worth the injury time. 2. the KNEE isn't the only thing SWELLIN'- the whole jerlame is a much doughier being than ever before.  he obviously can't keep himself in really good shape and have any knee left any more.  i feel bad for the guy.  he's probably looking @ knee replacement in his old age.  he was a bad choice at $6m a year for us.  to roll the dice he might have bene worth vet min to 2 mil / year.  NOBODY was competing with us to sign him after his dead man impersonation in last year's playoffs.  it was like putting the money into the toilet (beyodn 2M) and pulling the lever.
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]

Sorry, love you acie but that is NO excuse

Jermaine averged 11 mins a game as a pro in an average of 53 games per season his first FOUR years in the league 96-00

Total of 210 games.... 2,435 minutes

In those same 4 years, Pierce, who is one year older then JON, played 2 seasons at Kansas, 74 games and averaged 31 mins a game, then played 121 games for the Celts @ 34.7 mins per game his 1st two years (lockout in '99 remember).

Total of 195 games.... 6,383 minutes

KG left right out of high school a year before JON, is 2 years older, do we even need to get into the 13,533 minutes he played of pro ball in the same time JON was a high school Senior and then played his 2,435 mins?

Ray is 3 years older than JON, and they were in the same draft class... 10,608 mins...

All 4 guys were hurt around ages 29-32. Ray has had dub ankle surgery. KG the well known knee issue well after JON's knee was hurt, Pierce multiple minor surgeries on his knee and elbow and chronic shoulder isses.

Yes I'd say JON has had it worse of injury wise than any of them. 

But he is also the youngest and is clearly just wired differently than those HOFers. Jermaine was content to collect close to 20 million per over the last 3 seasons on mediocre clubs and not work his @ss off to get into championship contender shape like our big 3 did.

I think the guy certainly has lingering knee pain, but it is a combination of prior lack of intense rehab/conditioning and simply that Manny Ramirez/J.D. Drew type attitude, where he is content sitting out 20% of the games each year and that has brought about the frustration.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Career minutes played:

Garnett - 42,006

Allen - 38,275

Pierce - 33,268

J. O'Neal - 24,574

* not including playoffs, where JON has played 81 games to PP & Ray's 101 and KG's 96

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Doc sounds frustrated with the O'Neals : Jermaine was content to collect close to 20 million per over the last 3 seasons on mediocre clubs and not work his @ss off to get into championship contender shape like our big 3 did. I think the guy certainly has lingering knee pain, but it is a combination of prior lack of intense rehab/conditioning and simply that Manny Ramirez/J.D. Drew type attitude, where he is content sitting out 20% of the games each year and that has brought about the frustration.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

you know, i really hope you're right.  i hope he comes around.  but i don't think it will happen. i think jerlame is permanently lamed by knee issues.  i think he was done last year, if not several years ago.  i don't think it's sheer laziness.

he's not been durable in a long time if ever.  but he has had a bad knee the likes of which kg, pierce, or ray have never seen.  chances are that the injury to that knee just doesn't go away with hard work.  but i hope you're right and i'm wrong.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Acie, I respect your opinion on this topic, but I do disagree. Certainly Jermaine has pain and swelling due to prior knee injuries. However currently he doesn't have any tearing in the knees or it would have been leaked out in the press.
       Like I said, I love Jermaine's basketball talents, but his pampering of knee swelling is ridicilous. Once you've had a few knee surgeries, swelling becomes part of life. You just deal with it the best you can.
         Shaq was only about 60 to 70% last night, but his presence on the court made a difference. I tip my hat to him. Jermaine should learn a lesson from Shaq and that is once you can at least run up the court and jump a little, you can play. Some guys got guts and some guys don't. Jermaine appears to be the type that doesn't.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Doc sounds frustrated with the O'Neals : you know, i really hope you're right.  i hope he comes around.  but i don't think it will happen. i think jerlame is permanently lamed by knee issues.  i think he was done last year, if not several years ago.  i don't think it's sheer laziness. he's not been durable in a long time if ever.  but he has had a bad knee the likes of which kg, pierce, or ray have never seen.  chances are that the injury to that knee just doesn't go away with hard work.  but i hope you're right and i'm wrong.
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]

I don't think it is a matter of right vs wrong when it comes to his knee.

When it comes to if his performance has anything to do with his coming out of high school in 1996 I think we can clearly say it does not, he has played 9,000 mins less than PP, 15k less than Ray and 18k less than KG in his career. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think once Perk gets back and into the groove, JON will be a luxury and a bit of an afterthought.  If he can manage to play 15-20 MPG when it really matters, then he's worth the dosh.  Even if not, he's still worth it because he's an insurance policy and a big body and those are hard to come by.  

The good thing in all this is that Semih is getting to play.  As much as people discount that, this guy has performed in big games on the international stage.  If they can develop him, he will certainly help come playoff time.  And he may have to.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Acie, I do think he knee is worse than any injury our big 3 have had, but as mem said, swelling and lingering annoying (but minor for a pro athlete) pain is something you gotta deal with, heck we are NOT asking him to play starter minutes or be the 3rd scoring option like Miami did last year.

So last year he was good enough to play 28.4 mins, get 13.6 points on 53% from the floor, grab 7 boards and block 1.4 shots in 70 games.

Shouldn't he be healthier now that he is 2-3 years away from knee surgery and not 1-2 (not exactly sure when he had the last of what I think was 2 procedures)? 

The Celtics are simply asking him to get in the best shape he has been in since pre-injury and play as effective as a year ago, in less mins

Before Baby really upped his game I was maybe thinking of JON would play 24 mins a  game till Perk came back and then 16 mins a game after.

Now we really just need him 16 mins a game and who knows if at all when Perk is back, depending on how close he is to being where he was last year.

So for the next 40 games, could you give us 16 mins, 7 points, 4 rebounds and a block Jermaine??? Make sure that your man doesn't score in bunches, the rim is protected and you stick an open 14 footer and get 1-2 layups/tips. 

THAT IS ALL WE WANT

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Good point on Semih...

The word from perseason/Turkey was that he was nowhere near a contributor, and he is, was a luxury he is with JON being a puss

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

I think JOM would have played tonight if Shaq couldn't go.  We are all speculating on how this guy feels.  Unless you are in his shoes you don't know.  The bottom line is they are all old by nba standards and will need extra time off during the season.  Its a long season and remember JOM is new to the Celtics so it may take a while for the Celtics way to rub off on him.  Great win last night but dont think miami is going away.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

[QUOTE]I think JOM would have played tonight if Shaq couldn't go.  We are all speculating on how this guy feels.  Unless you are in his shoes you don't know.  The bottom line is they are all old by nba standards and will need extra time off during the season.  Its a long season and remember JOM is new to the Celtics so it may take a while for the Celtics way to rub off on him.  Great win last night but dont think miami is going away.
    Posted by Mchampion[/QUOTE]
    Maybe Jermaine should watch Monty Python's The Holy Grail movie. He could learn from the black night you post on your blog. After getting his arms and legs cut off he still insists on fighting. That scene always leaves me in stitches.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Doc sounds frustrated with the O'Neals : Maybe Jermaine should watch Monty Python's The Holy Grail movie. He could learn from the black night you post on your blog. After getting his arms and legs cut off he still insists on fighting. That scene always leaves me in stitches.
    Posted by mem17[/QUOTE]

lmao Mem....great flick and I agree it may improve JON toughness and he could get a laugh too.  I will suggest it to Doc.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]So for the next 40 games, could you give us 16 mins, 7 points, 4 rebounds and a block Jermaine??? Make sure that your man doesn't score in bunches, the rim is protected and you stick an open 14 footer and get 1-2 layups/tips.  THAT IS ALL WE WANT
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

hey, i don't think you want too much!  i want the same, if not more for 6M a year.  and i also want jerlame to stop mashing on shaq (really vice versa) in practice sessions.  if the guy's a skirt, let's take away the excuses and possible sources of extra swellin'. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]I think once Perk gets back and into the groove, JON will be a luxury and a bit of an afterthought.  If he can manage to play 15-20 MPG when it really matters, then he's worth the dosh.  Even if not, he's still worth it because he's an insurance policy and a big body and those are hard to come by.   The good thing in all this is that Semih is getting to play.  As much as people discount that, this guy has performed in big games on the international stage.  If they can develop him, he will certainly help come playoff time.  And he may have to.   
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

Perk won't be back for several months.  We can only hope that he is in basketball shape for the playoffs. What if he isn't back for the entire season? Until then, it is important the both Jermaine and Shaq contribute as much as they can.  If they are both constantly injured the Celtics may struggle this season. Semih has been very impressive so far this season and may play more minutes as the season progresses. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerseycfan. Show jerseycfan's posts

[QUOTE]Jermaine needs to gut it up. He's being payed 6 million per season and he sits out practice and games for a bit of swelling in his knee. With all the MRI's professional athletes get, the team would know if he some type of severe injury.     Some may take my statement here as acting macho, but I don't intend it to. When I used to play just high school and city league, I almost always had stiffness, pain and swelling in my right knee. So did many of my team mates over the years. We played through it and we weren't getting paid a nickel.     Playing with a severe injury such as slightly torn tendons or torn meniscus is not advisable, but just a little swelling is no big deal. Ice it after practice and games. Playing with minor injuries is part of sports. Jermaine needs to man up a little more. I've always respected Jermaine's basketball talent, but now that he's a Celtic and I read the stories on his injuries, he just seems to pamper himself with minor pain. Doc does sound frustrated in that article and I can't blame him. I am and I'm only a fan.
    Posted by mem17[/QUOTE]
    Hey Mem,

Hope your not a doctor!!!!!   MRI's and x-rays are not fool proof!!!!!  My family has had 3 serious injuries that were not picked up in the last 10 years by either method....  Tendons were torn and the doctors read nothing!!!!  You must remember they are playing PRO ball and not silly pickup games.  I think you need to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he heals soon...