Doc Tears Into Team, Threatens Trades if Team Doesn't Improve

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 003323344. Show 003323344's posts

Doc Tears Into Team, Threatens Trades if Team Doesn't Improve

Doc Rivers was seething after the Celtics' 103-88 loss to the Detroit Pistons on Sunday, threatening trades and roster changes if his .500 team does not improve following a third consecutive loss. The Celtics never led and trailed by as many as 19, losing to Detroit for the second time this season.

"I said we’ve got to find something where every night all 12 guys play the same,” Rivers said. “We did it for three games in a stretch. I told them game four and five in that (six-game winning streak) was garbage, we just won the game.

“So I gotta figure that out. I don’t think the guys are honest with each other. I just don’t think we have committed to being a good basketball team. I think this team wants everything easy. They want the easy way out. They want to win easy. I told them, the only way you’re going to win easy is you’re gonna have to play hard. The harder you play the easier the games become. We’re taking the approach.”

And then Rivers threatened to shakeup his muddling roster.

“I gotta either find the right combination, the right guys or we’re going to get some guys out of here,” he said. “It’s the bottom line, because this group right now, they’re not playing right and it’s in them to play right but right now they haven’t been because I’m not getting to them or they’re not getting to each other. Either we gotta do that or we gotta make changes. I’m saying if we don’t get it right we may (make changes). The six-game winning streak was great. Three of those games we played tremendous basketball. The other three we won the game.”

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/

Finally Doc wakes up. It may be too little too late to wake this team up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

Re: Doc Tears Into Team, Threatens Trades if Team Doesn't Improve

Don't make threats. Just do it!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from docomospur. Show docomospur's posts

I wouldn't say he's woken up until something's actually done and one or more of the Celtics underperformers is shipped out.  Seems more hot air and chest-beating waffle to me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Maybe the change should be DOc...

btw, I think most of his rant was directed at Rondo, couched by blaming entire team

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

OH,  ummmmmmm.... Maybe BILL-806 was "SPOT ON" with a "BLOCKBUSTER" and move RONDO out of here !!!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Explore trading Rondo after the season. Trading Rondo now would devastate the team, especially KG.

Fierce - you have been pointing out the problem for months! Bass is under-performing!! Add a  big to this team and a healthy AB, and the Cs will be back in the hunt!

If JG starts to perform consistently and Melo develops enough to help the team (limited productive minutes) by playoff time, the Cs might surprise some people in April and May!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

C'Mon Man!! I would take Doc Rivers over any other coach in the league, including P. Jackson! 

With that stated, I was hoping he would call this team out 1-month ago! No more Mr. Nice Doc!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Doc Rivers has a right to be upset with both he and his team.  They are not playing very well, the record shows it and the up and down nature of this year's team is very frustrating to its fans.

If Doc is thinking of making changes, the time has certainly become appropriate.  I would hope that he has individual meetings planned with the guys he is upset with including his star players if they fall into the list of guys he is unhappy with.

This team has too much talent (even without a true back up center) to lose some of the games they have lost this year.  The Chicago game was a tough loss, the Detroit game was terrible. There are probably ten such losses that clearly resemble the last Detroit loss and that is about none too many in half a season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

Doc Rivers has a right to be upset with both he and his team.  They are not playing very well, the record shows it and the up and down nature of this year's team is very frustrating to its fans.

If Doc is thinking of making changes, the time has certainly become appropriate.  I would hope that he has individual meetings planned with the guys he is upset with including his star players if they fall into the list of guys he is unhappy with.

This team has too much talent (even without a true back up center) to lose some of the games they have lost this year.  The Chicago game was a tough loss, the Detroit game was terrible. There are probably ten such losses that clearly resemble the last Detroit loss and that is about none too many in half a season.

+ 1

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

I've been saying for two years that this team takes on the personality of Rondo. They are up, down and inconsistent.

The team goes as Rondo goes. I don't believe he'll ever change...he is who he is. Ainge has a decision to make...trade Rondo or continue to deal with the suspensions, great play, games he's uninterested in, etc. Does he want Rondo to be the real leader of the Celtics?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Nice to finally hear Doc making these comments.  I didn't really watch most of the game since I was watching the Patriots game.  That being said, the only positive from the Celtics losses is that maybe Danny will make trades that will improve this team.  Some roster changes are needed for this team to have a chance to compete for one of the top spots in the Eastern Conference.  Just not sure when it will happen or who will be traded. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

I've been saying for two years that this team takes on the personality of Rondo. They are up, down and inconsistent.

The team goes as Rondo goes. I don't believe he'll ever change...he is who he is. Ainge has a decision to make...trade Rondo or continue to deal with the suspensions, great play, games he's uninterested in, etc. Does he want Rondo to be the real leader of the Celtics?

Rondo was not an issue when KG was 32 years old and Pierce was just 30 years old.

I am not sure I understand what you talking about.  Of course Rondo wasn't the issue then,  PP and KG were the ones that were suppose to carry the team and they did so.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

Rivers is the biggest problem.

Start KG, Sullinger, Pierce, Green, and Rondo

Absolutely right. Doc HAS to play KG & Sullinger together. It is how you bring the best out of both the players. KG needs someone to crash the boards for him. Sullinger needs help with defensive presence. KG has the outside shot. Sullinger sharks around the rim. I think its a great front-court. BUT, KIRK, you HAVE to play Bradley & Rondo together as well, for similar reasons. They bring the best out of each other. Rondo has the mid-range and can drive. Bradley can hit corner 3's and cut. Rondo is good at clogging passing lanes, and applying disruptive pressure. Bradley is obviously great on the ball, pressure, stealing seconds away from possessions, forcing steals...

The question is, who is the best 5th player. Gotta go with Pierce. He is your offense. So there it is:

Rondo, Bradley, Pierce, Sullinger, Garnett.

that leaves:

Barbosa, Lee, Terry, Green, Bass, Wilcox, Collins off the bench.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Rivers is the biggest problem.

Start KG, Sullinger, Pierce, Green, and Rondo

Here was your starting lineup yesterday.

• Kirk6
    • First: 5/29/2008
    • Last: 1/21/2013

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

Question remains, are the Celtics better off with Jeff Van Gundy as coach?

God no.

We just need to play our younger players.

Please elaborate on this.  What exactly do you mean play younger players?  Who and how much are you talking about.  

Sullinger and Bradley start. Lee backs up over Terry. You sure have a hard time with that starting lineup don't you.  Seems like it changes from day to day.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

OH,  ummmmmmm.... Maybe BILL-806 was "SPOT ON" with a "BLOCKBUSTER" and move RONDO out of here !!!

Bill, YOU ARE RIGHT!!!! RONDO has a casual attitude about his own short comings and passes out assits to his teammates constantly about not having winning attitudes. I want Rondo to go. His presence in itself is sucking the life out of the rest of HIS team. He doesn't have the ability to "lead" his own behavior, let alone the rest of HIS team. Bye RONDO!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Rondo was not an issue when KG was 32 years old and Pierce was just 30 years old.

I am not sure I understand what you talking about.  Of course Rondo wasn't the issue then,  PP and KG were the ones that were suppose to carry the team and they did so.

That's why it's unfair to ask Rondo to carry the team. 

Rondo is limited offensively, he doesn't have a 3-point shot and he's not a great FT shooter. That's why he's not going to excel if he's being asked to become Magic Johnson. Rondo's more Stockton than Magic Johnson.

As I recall Stockton could shoot the ball and shoot free throws.

If your want to be the superstar then you have to take what comes with it.

If Rondo can't carry the team,  maybe he is more expendable than people think.  I disagree though,  I think he can carry the team when he WANTS to.  He would rather get a assist though. Last night he has a point blank layup, KG next to him with a guy under his feet and RR doesn't shoot a uncontested layup,  he passed the ball to KG.  Terrible play that worked out.  I can live with him having a off shooting nite.  I can't live with the matador defense and the obscene number of turnovers. 

We don't have a non touchable any more unless its Sully.  We don't know what he can do yet.  Right player and he can go as well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Time for Doc to join Avery johnson. Time for the Celtics to rebuild, Rondo needs to go he is not good enough to build around. KG needs to retire at the end of the year, Paul needs to be traded to a contender, the Grizzlies or the Clippers for younger players. Pierce can still be a very good player, but there is way to much pressure on him here, he knows if he doesn't have big scoring games the Celtics will more than likely lose!!  Green and Terry needs to go as well, if anyone would trade for them Ainge needs to get it done, if not Amnesty Green at the end of the year.  The worst thing this team could  do would be to limp into the playoffs as a 6 to 8th seed. Sully and Melo i would keep, Lee is worth keeping too, not as players that can carry a team, but as good young players who can really help a team.  We need to free up money to sign a super star or close to super star free agent, we also need to get lucky in the draft and pick someone who can develop into a stud!!  It's over guys, the Pierce, KG and Ray era was fun, we won a ring and easily could have won 2 more, if not for injuries, but it's time to start a new Celtic era now. The sooner we get started the sooner the Celtics will be in the hunt again!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

That's why it's unfair to ask Rondo to carry the team. 

Rondo is limited offensively, he doesn't have a 3-point shot and he's not a great FT shooter. That's why he's not going to excel if he's being asked to become Magic Johnson. Rondo's more Stockton than Magic Johnson.

As I recall Stockton could shoot the ball and shoot free throws.

If your want to be the superstar then you have to take what comes with it.

If Rondo can't carry the team,  maybe he is more expendable than people think.  I disagree though,  I think he can carry the team when he WANTS to.  He would rather get a assist though. Last night he has a point blank layup, KG next to him with a guy under his feet and RR doesn't shoot a uncontested layup,  he passed the ball to KG.  Terrible play that worked out.  I can live with him having a off shooting nite.  I can't live with the matador defense and the obscene number of turnovers. 

We don't have a non touchable any more unless its Sully.  We don't know what he can do yet.  Right player and he can go as well.

Yeah stockton was an awful shooter.. .515% fg career, .384% 3pt, and only .826% ft... What a bum...

Please look it up before you make crazy statements... The only thing stockton was bad at was his short selection.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/stockjo01.html

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

So its Rondo's fault that the rest of the team are weak and let him lead?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

So its Rondo's fault that the rest of the team are weak and let him lead?

I agree. The team is too old to play consistently with the energy they need. If PP for Gay were on the table, Danny should take it and give Rondo some young legs to run with 35+ minutes a game. It's also why I wince when people make silly trade ideas like Bass, Melo and picks to Gortat. Gortat will not equal the difference in making this team a champion this year, and that pick could very well end up as a lottery pick, and I've already seen enough lottery picks for Vitaly Potapenko's, or Joe Johnson for Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk deals in my lifetime. Those of you who hated the deals then are now calling for them. Let the rebuilding begin by dealing PP, Bass, Terry, and seeing if KG will waive his no trade clause.