Early Observations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Early Observations

-I like Scal over Donny with Mike (I'm surprised by that, but he has more of a sense of humor, which is what is needed to contrast Mike IMO) Mike and Donny are duplicates in style. Redundant.

-I like our offensive attack of the rim. No Ray Allen around constantly looking for jumpers. Refreshing. Green,Lee,Rondo,Sullinger,Darko,Pierce all going at the rim. It's like turning a football team into a running team from a passing team. Passing attack is finesse. Running attack is grit and power.

Grit and power always beats finesse. That's why the Celtics built a dynasty on grit and power. The power of the fast break and the grit of defense.

-Like Rondo in the low post (Is there anything on the court this guy cannot do?) He dropping free throws, three's, and jumpers too!

-Pierce has looked good in the low post.

-Green has looked good in pick n roll and mid-post. He needs to make quicker decisions, and quicker moves in his post ups, however. The trick is already having an idea before you get the ball, how you are going to attack and what your primary counter move is going to be if you draw help. Small forwards can't let their defender catch a breath mentally by standing there letting the defense solidify their focus on you. That's why the very best post players in history, catch and go immediatley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7tPZ-KljR0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_984452&feature=iv&src_vid=K7tPZ-KljR0&v=GA_EIVfE8ak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm6RWNj_8LM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_poUO4Q0wVQ

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

Re: Early Observations

The Mike & Scal crew are right ... Green looks like Worthy

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If Worthy had a 3 point shot, I've never seen it. Green has a very good one. His post game is very poor compared to Worthy's.

But I think he has potential to improve. He needs to if he wants to be a go-to-guy and get paid like one.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I would implore everyone to chill on the Green/Worthy comparisons for the time being.  We are talking about one of the 50 greatest players ever................if Green can give us anything CLOSE to Worthy, it will be great.  But, please, James Worthy??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If Worthy had a 3 point shot, I've never seen it. Green has a very good one. His post game is very poor compared to Worthy's.

But I think he has potential to improve. He needs to if he wants to be a go-to-guy and get paid like one.

[/QUOTE]

He took it to the rim with authority!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

He took it to the rim with authority!

[/QUOTE]

Thank you, .... Marv Albert!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

He looks good to me.  Was having no problem taking it to the rim against Euro teams.  We will see against NBA teams.  Competition will get better but I believe he will also.  He's been out of it for 16 months.  He looks very good under the circomstances.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Worthy wore #42.

4 x 2 = 8.

Green wears #8. A match made in heaven? Hmmmm...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

My early observations are... Sully will contribute this year. Melo will not. We have a really, really deep team, especially when bradley and wilcox return. Rondo is ready to take the next step and play in the regular season like he does in the playoffs. Jet will prove to be a crucial acquistion with his ability to play the point and sg, essentially replacing BOTH ray and keyon.  Darko will challenge for backup center minutes. We finally have the players to implement a more up temp/ fast break style that is best suited for rondos abilities. with lee, bradley, jgreen, wilcox. We will have tremendous lineup versatility, almost all our players can play multiple positions, this will allow doc to match any teams big and small lineups.  I am really intrigued by this teams potential. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Personally, I always thought Worthy was a little overrated.  Magic got him a ton of easy baskets.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to gman101019's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My early observations are... Sully will contribute this year. Melo will not. We have a really, really deep team, especially when bradley and wilcox return. Rondo is ready to take the next step and play in the regular season like he does in the playoffs. Jet will prove to be a crucial acquistion with his ability to play the point and sg, essentially replacing BOTH ray and keyon.  Darko will challenge for backup center minutes. We finally have the players to implement a more up temp/ fast break style that is best suited for rondos abilities. with lee, bradley, jgreen, wilcox. We will have tremendous lineup versatility, almost all our players can play multiple positions, this will allow doc to match any teams big and small lineups.  I am really intrigued by this teams potential. 

[/QUOTE]

Well said, and I agree.  Other teams will have a difficult time matching up with us as we can go small  (RR,Lee, PP, JG, KG)  or BIG (JT, Lee, PP, KG, Darko).  I love Doc saying he will not have Sully be the biggest person on the court, that is just good coaching.  But Sully and Darko together?  THAT is big!!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Green needs to work on his in between game..He slashes very well.. but needs to work on his mid jumper..then he will be a monster...        

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Worthy retired in '94

You started watching the NBA in 2002

Do you own a lot of old video Da;-)

Otherwise good comments on how the new crew is looking

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Personally, I always thought Worthy was a little overrated.  Magic got him a ton of easy baskets.

[/QUOTE]

He was overrated

But so was OKC Jeff Green, a SF forced out of position at PF who was scored on at will, whose team scored more points when Collins or Harden came in and he sat and who had low rebounding, block, steals, assist, etc. #'s for a 35-37mpg guy who is supposed to make a big impact

Now Worthy compares very well to JG if they keep him mostly at SF. Over his 32-33 min per game career avg Worthy was a 17/5 guy who had a 12 assist Magic on the court with him for all but 2 seasons. This season Green will have a 12 assist Rondo with him and be playing his proper position most of the time. In say 25-27 minutes he should be around a 13/4.5 guy. Just about the same  #'s per min as Worthy

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I always felt Worthy got more props than he deserved. Not saying he wasnt a great player but felt Magic's game  and the titles he brought the Lakers made Worthy into a bigger star imo. One thing you have to give to Worthy was he made lots of clutch buckets.

Worthy was also dynamite in the post cause he was so quick.. his first step and quick leap/release were too much for many to stay with. Green no where near that level in the post.

Comparing Green to Worthy doesnt make sense to me. Green hasnt produced anything for us really. He was kinda lost after the Perk trade and missed all last season. Also, hes coming off the bench, not even a starter ... hard to make that comparison

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Worthy may be overrated, that's debatable, but one thing that is not debatable is that he is an NBA Finals MVP who knew how to step is game up in the playoffs. Jeff Green hasn't sniffed that territory yet. 

I hope he does!

But for now I'll settle for "reliable healthy contributor" and go from there. 

Sully will have a good impact on the team. Melo, no, not yet, but we knew that going in. He's a project for now. 

DaCeltics - agree with your upbeat assessments, but it is the preseason so let's see. That said I'm looking forward to this season a lot, like the aggressive attitude of this team.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

This team "seems" young with a spry step..Unlike some teams that have a hitch in their gettalong, or  are just "old".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

If Doc plays him at the 4, its not a bad thing as long as its in the right situation.  Stats don't always tell the picture.   Lebron wasn't statiscally a great 3 point shooter but he certainly killed us on 3's in important situations.   So, stats don't always guide you.

If we're playing a team where speed matters and they are not big, there's nothing wrong with Green at the 4.   Doc's smart enough to play to the situation on the floor.   I like the Green at 4 option when used correctly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I always felt Worthy got more props than he deserved. Not saying he wasnt a great player but felt Magic's game  and the titles he brought the Lakers made Worthy into a bigger star imo. One thing you have to give to Worthy was he made lots of clutch buckets.

Worthy was also dynamite in the post cause he was so quick.. his first step and quick leap/release were too much for many to stay with. Green no where near that level in the post.

Comparing Green to Worthy doesnt make sense to me. Green hasnt produced anything for us really. He was kinda lost after the Perk trade and missed all last season. Also, hes coming off the bench, not even a starter ... hard to make that comparison

[/QUOTE]

I didn't take the comparison to say that Green is like Worthy in his career accomplishments.  Of course not.   I took it that they have similar skills and similar styles of play (fast, athletic, can get to the basket on fast breaks, serviceable jumpshot, capable of posting up at times, etc).   For that, I think the comparison is reasonable.   Jeff still has to show it to us but as far as styles, I think Worthy is a good model for who Jeff could be.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I didn't take the comparison to say that Green is like Worthy in his career accomplishments.  Of course not.   I took it that they have similar skills and similar styles of play (fast, athletic, can get to the basket on fast breaks, serviceable jumpshot, capable of posting up at times, etc).   For that, I think the comparison is reasonable.   Jeff still has to show it to us but as far as styles, I think Worthy is a good model for who Jeff could be.

[/QUOTE]

I just hope he can be the best Jeff Green he can be.  He will be very very good if he can keep this up.  I would still like to have Krstic, but overall I think we will win out in the Perk trade.

Melo may have been a mistake, as I think Perry Jones III will be a stud for OKC!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly ... in the second game the post play of Green was reminiscent of Worthy ... athletic moves to the rim, fully stretched out over the defender and finger rolling it off the glass ... It's not his body of work, but what he's showing us he can be and motivation to prove something too ... Hope we see more of that all season!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Worthy retired in '94

You started watching the NBA in 2002

Do you own a lot of old video Da;-)

Otherwise good comments on how the new crew is looking

[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

I've seen Gary Payton and Sean Kemp play Antoine Walker and crew live at the Fleetcenter.

I watched Jordan sink Cleveland live on tv after Ehlo put them up with 3 seconds left.

That's when I fell in love with the NBA.

So I've seen Olajuwan's moves live too.