Favorite Teams... since a kid... be honest

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Re: Favorite Teams... since a kid... be honest

Number one team is the Canucks. After that I like offer my support to any other Canadian team that is playing in the play-offs. Don't really talk Hockey too much as I don't know much about the history of the Bruins. My whole family are mad Canucks fans. But we're split over the other teams we support.

Basketball (NBA) - Lakers. Also liked Seattle and the VANCOUVER Grizzlies. Well not really liked them, but it was good having NBA in town for a time. They were a terrible team but it was good having live NBA not far from our home. Was good when the big teams came to town.

WNBA. Have always supported the Seattle Storm. Mainly because of Lauren Jackson.

NFL - Don't really care too much about any team.

Football - Nottingham Forest FC. Loved the name as a child and they have a nice history. Saw them play live and that was a real thrill. Hopefully with a little luck and skill we'll be in the Premiere League next season. But I never get my hopes up.

Love the Australian Cricket Team as well. Much prefer Test Cricket to the shorter forms of the game, the T20 form of cricket is really just there for those with attention deficit disorder IMO. Test cricket is an incredible sport.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In Response to Re: Favorite Teams... since a kid... be honest:
    [QUOTE]Grew up in Baltimore so got to see great Orioles teams of the late 60's and early 70's. The field was just covered with great players...Brooks Robinson, Mark Belanger, Booooog Powell at 1B, Jim Palmer on the mound...it was a great introduction to sports. Then moved up to Boston in 1974 and adopted Red Sox and Celtics.
    Posted by mbrann[/QUOTE]

Great teams.  4 20 game winners will never happen again!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favorite Teams... since a kid... be honest : You had me smiling ear to ear until you mentioned the Hoyas... lol In the previous era, when the Big East was a power before recently... I was bigtime St Johns fan.. Louie Carneseca, Chris Mullen, Wennington, Berry etc.. Man did I hate Gtown & John Thompson... Hate to bring this up (not really) but that was some finals vs Villanova...  We all know when, on that rare occassion, a pitcher pitches a perfect game... well, Villanova may have played the perfect game against the Hoyas that night... and they needed to in order to beat that team.. ps/ Celtics & Raiders... now thats class...
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

Louie and the red sweater!  Didn't you love the comradery when Big John took off his jacket and has Louie's sweater on?

Nova vs G'Town - the pain is gone now but yes, it was a PERFECT game by Nova.  Once in a lifetime performance.  I can tell exactly where I was at that time.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

baseball - redsox ever since i could remember. like the a's also for a bit in the early 90's.

basketball - bulls as a kid (didn't know better. it was the MJ hype.), until i went to my first celtics game in 94, then its been celtics only.

hockey - penguins and bruins.

football - giants then redskins, dont really follow it anymore but i'll root for the pats.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawaiibob. Show hawaiibob's posts

Growing up in Maine my first sports team was the Celtics. Grew up watching them play and remember Heinsohn's last game. Moved to LA--was just a kid--my parents' blunder-- and became Rams and Dodger fans. Now don't care much for baseball but keep an eye on the dodgers. Don't follow the Rams much anymore so don't have a favorite football team but enjoy watching many teams like Patriots among others. I guess my only team I really care about is the Celtics! Oh, and growing up Catholic I was indoctrinated into ND football. They had some great teams back in the day. Not so much now. Fortunately I escaped LA in 1994.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawaiibob. Show hawaiibob's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favorite Teams... since a kid... be honest : Hey Duke, nice to see someone that goes back a little further than myself Deacon Jones & the Fearsome Foursome were great... I also liked Roman Gabriel at qb.. There used to be a tv show years ago... usually on in the middle of the night.. it was a roundtable of former NFL players and Deacon was one of them.. Well, just about every show deferred to Deacon & his stories.. hes a great story teller and could make you laugh the way he talked about quarterbacks and how he played the game.  The guy should have had his own show.. Ive had so many favorite players but in nba  its Russell, Cowens, Hondo & Larry NFL is Lamonica, Stabler, Peyton, Earl Campbell, Butkus, Ted Hendricks, Mike Haynes

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawaiibob. Show hawaiibob's posts

Deacon Jones---friend owned a neighborhood bar in the late 70's in LA 'burbs and I was one of the bartenders. Some other friends were hanging with Deacon, who was by then already retired, so brought him to the bar. Deacon walks in on a quiet evening and has a couple beers and proceeds to clean up on the pool table taking on all comers with a broomstick as his cue. Beats everyone except the owner--guess it was HCA. Deacon leaves and as he walks out the door, I mumble---"yeah and stay out too!" Deacon Jones was a bit like Russell (on a much smaller scale) in that he changed the game. Those Ram teams of that era were fun to watch. Never a champion but always in the hunt.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnTAlouette. Show JohnTAlouette's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favorite Teams... since a kid... be honest : Duke, you are absolutely correct!  I grew up in Buffalo and my whole immediate family is still based there.  My dad's side of the family is from Massachusetts, so I inherited a bunch of Boston loyalties right away, even before I moved there for college.  He told me about the Braves... I was a baby when they were still here.  Wasn't there some game in '74 where Jo Jo White stole an inbounds pass from Bob McAdoo and won the series for the Celtics?  It's known here as one of the greatest games ever played in Buffalo even though the Braves were on the short end.  I read about it in '84 the day after the Celtics won the championship!
    Posted by MsLithium21[/QUOTE]
    I saw the Braves in the Garden with McAdoo and Ernie D. McAdoo is still one of the best shooters I've seen play.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Jay, I certainly do remember SB 2 and that call.......Ray Scott was without a doubt one of the best!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]Jay, I certainly do remember SB 2 and that call.......Ray Scott was without a doubt one of the best!!!
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Everytime I think of Ray Scott, I think of freezing cold & the Packers.

Playing back then in the central was no joke in the winter... No domes, no nothing.. Heck, Bud Grant wouldnt let the Vikings wear long sleeve shirts when it was 2 degrees outside lol

Purple People Eaters, Fearsome Foursome, Doomsday Defense.. No Name Defense, Steel Curtain...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Early Raiders..big time,,but since the ice game/snow game..whate ever that was..i started following brady and Patriots..Plus, i don't like the thugs that tend to follow the raiders...

basketball...early Lakers fan...I know, I know..but i live in California..in Jr. high i came to my senses..Silas, Hondo,,Cowens,  won me over.This current squad reminds me of that era....Celtics ever since..never looked back..
    watching a live game at Boston.Garden..is on the bucket list..

Baseball Giants.and anybody but the Dodgers.. will root for Red Socks against anybody else...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

[QUOTE]well then sweetie, we were neighbors of sorts.....I was raised in Rochester....went to the old "Rock pile" in the early days to watch the Bills....also sat courtside at the Brave's games in the old "Aud".....great memories....the Celts/Braves rivalry was great....while it lasted!!!!!
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Yes, we most certainly were neighbors!  I remember even when I lived in Boston and took the bus home from college I was always psyched to pass through Rochester because that meant less than an hour to Buffalo!  I too have fond memories of the Rockpile and the Aud - the Rockpile in its last days, my dad used to take my brothers and me to watch the AAA Bisons.  I remember being heartbroken in '87 when I heard they'd be taking it down, and Pilot Field (its original name, not sure what the new corporation is that it's named after!!) was always very nice but did not have that aura and history.  Now the Aud carries even bigger memories as that's where I went to see my 1st several basketball games - all at the college level.  My dad teaches at Canisius and started taking me to the games back in '83 - back in the days of Ray Hall and future NBA center Mike Smrek.  We actually saw Reggie Lewis play several games there for Northeastern.  He was the conference Rookie of the Year in '85 and its MVP the following 3 years as I recall.  Jim Calhoun was his coach at the time.  Though we usually lost, our home team often held their own against them.  So many memories there... I literally fell in love with basketball at the Aud... Would have loved to see the Braves there too - especially playing the Celtics... would have had torn loyalties for sure!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favorite Teams... since a kid... be honest : McAdoo was unreal on those Buffalo Braves teams... and Randy Smith in the backcourt... arguably the fastest player in NBA history.

I would have LOVED to see them - especially in their capacity as Braves.  By the time I was old enough to know of that team, they were the San Diego Clippers and in total disarray.  So nice to know there was once such talent representing our blue collar city, even if it was all too brief.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

well Ms L....we really do have a lot in common......neighbors and all even if in a different time....I hung out with a classmate who had polio as a young child...he was confined to a wheelchair and we took him everywhere with us, from games in Buffalo to baseball games in Pittsburgh....one night we went to the Aud for a Braves/Bullets playoff game....this was in the days of not so tight security and all....my friend Ray told (lied) the ushers that he could not be left alone court side and that he needed us to be with him...not knowing any better the staff said "sure, go ahead"...so we wheeled Ray to the court right behind the out of bounds line and we all sat "Indian style" around him....we were so close to the action that when Wes Unseld put a ball in play from out of bounds, he was standing literally at my side one foot away....his thighs looked like two giant hams....I could literally reach out and touch him...no way that ever happens today...but back in the early '70's...no problem!! Ah, the good old days...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shtarka. Show Shtarka's posts

Every Celtics team with Bill Russell and Tommy Heinsohn..As a kid, I still remember  seeing Heinsohn puffing on a cigarette before a game...gotta love him!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

You are right.....remember the shots of the guys smoking in the dugouts back in the day....?