Forever a Celtic

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

Forever a Celtic

A co-worker of mine sent me this link last night. Wan't sure if all of you had seen it or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OypL1VEfbWs

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shamrock1000. Show shamrock1000's posts

Re: Forever a Celtic

In response to DrBoogiebone's comment:

A co-worker of mine sent me this link last night. Wan't sure if all of you had seen it or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OypL1VEfbWs

Thanks for posting this. Not sure everyone here realizes the magnitude of losing a guy like Pierce. Shaq nailed it, the guy really was "The Truth", and it's going to suck watching him play for another team. I'm not a prefessional writer, so I'm going to paste an excerpt from Bill Simmons' latest Grantland piece that expresses how I think a lot of us feel (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9522281/the-nba-midnight-run-part-2): 

My single favorite moment in Midnight Run goes to Pierce, one of the six best Celtics ever and someone who deserved to retire in Boston if that's what he wanted to do. Which, by the way, he wanted to do. This post-trade interview with Jackie MacMullan was telling …… a shellshocked Pierce saying, "Look at the other players like Tim Duncan, Kobe, Dirk, you look at all those guys — they win a championship there, similar to what I've done. It really kind of hurt, you look throughout the season and Mark Cuban says, 'We're never trading Dirk,' or they say 'We're never trading Tim,' 'We're gonna re-sign Kobe,' and nothing really being said about me. I'm in trade rumors. So that part, you know you think about it, it hurts."

He's right. He's 100 percent right. Paul Pierce never wanted to play anywhere else, and no true Celtics fan wanted to see anything like this. Still, watching Pierce (and, to a lesser degree, KG) play for another franchise is going to be brutal. And I don't know what the right answer is here. I really don't. The Celtics allowed Bird, McHale and Parish to age gracefully together once upon a time, followed by eight solid years of misery … and I have to say, I'd sign up for that again. I loved those 1991, 1992 and 1993 teams because of the late Reggie Lewis, but also because we kept the Big Three — because we didn't trade them, and only because they were f-ing Celtics and you don't trade your guys like that.But Boston wanted to buy a Riggin' for Wiggins ticket, so they crippled this year's team by dealing Pierce and KG for three unprotected first-round picks (2014, 2016, 2018), along with the right to swap first-rounders with Brooklyn in 2017. If anything happens to Brooklyn during the middle of this decade — a real possibility considering Brook Lopez's injury history, as well as a 32-year-old Deron Williams and a 34-year-old Joe Johnson making $46 million combined during the 2015-16 season — this deal could become the "Gail Goodrich to New Orleans for two future no. 1 picks" trade for this generation. It's the biggest reason why I'm having Joe Johnson and Deron Williams voodoo dolls made next week.

Danny Ainge went the other way, just as he always hinted he would because of his experience watching the Big Three grow old. I get it. I understand it. Down the road, I'm sure I will appreciate it. But right now? It hurts like hell. Paul Pierce was our dude. We spent 15 seasons with him in all, and as I wrote after Game 6 of the 2008 Finals, "We watched that guy grow up. We watched him become a man. We believed in him, we gave up on him, and we believed in him again." Some things are bigger than sports.

I think that's why Cuban kept Dirk — because they won together in 2011, and because he couldn't bear the thought of the Best Maverick Ever playing for another team. It might not be the smartest move, but it's certainly more relatable. Human, even. Watching no. 34 play for the Nets will never feel right, and I will never feel good about it. Alas. See you in the next life, Paul."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Danny makes business decisions and sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong.  We live with that.  

But it amazes me that he catches less hate than the players when they try to make business decisions for themselves rather than let the GM make the decision for them.  Ray made a decision for himself and was massively criticized.  When KG made the decision to get something for waiving his no trade, he caught flack with a thread saying he's all about the money.  When Doc left, he was criticized as "he quit on us".  Other players like Lebron and Carmelo took matters into their own hands, as well.

Pierce put himself in the hands of the GM, stayed with us, and his reward was to be traded.  I never blame players for leaving because if they don't, too often the GM has NO loyalty to the player.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:

Danny makes business decisions and sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong.  We live with that.  

But it amazes me that he catches less hate than the players when they try to make business decisions for themselves rather than let the GM make the decision for them.  Ray made a decision for himself and was massively criticized.  When KG made the decision to get something for waiving his no trade, he caught flack with a thread saying he's all about the money.  When Doc left, he was criticized as "he quit on us".  Other players like Lebron and Carmelo took matters into their own hands, as well.

Pierce put himself in the hands of the GM, stayed with us, and his reward was to be traded.  I never blame players for leaving because if they don't, too often the GM has NO loyalty to the player.

Agree 100%

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

KG and Pierce have declined considerably.

Ainge made out like a bandit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

THE DUKE  .....today Pierce came out and said that it was a mutual agreement for himself, KG, and Doc to leave....none of them wanted to be part of a rebuilding project at this stage in their careers....I commend PP for being honest about this...so Danny did what was best for Boston and allowed these guys to move on to other championship opportunities...don't go hating on Danny....this is a business....I also was sad to see PP & KG go.....I grew up idolizing Duke Snider....I hated it when the Dodgers sold the captain to the Mets in 1963....and to think he ended his career with the hated Giants...but the bottom line....it is what it is....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

The trade allowed PP to make 15-million this season versus a lesser amount, had he been bought out. That is a pretty good gift to give to a really great player! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

Had Paul and KG stayed, best case scenario, ECF appearance only to be ousted again. I say that with the thought of a more confident Jeff Green adding even more of a scoring/defending punch, along with a healthy Rondo and Sully. But we still couldn't have beat Miami or Indiana with only KG's defense, which is withering. How old is Paul and KG? Very, very injury prone at this point, VERY! I love Paul and KG to death! But what we got in return for them... too good to pass up in my opinion. Let's see how Dallas, San Antonio, and the Fakers hold up by letting their stars of old just walk away. Who knows, they may make out just fine. FA's may not have a problem flocking to any one of those teams when the $$$ is freed up. But they do have a problem flocking here, always have, unless we were a chamionship contender. Whether it was DA's or ownerships choice to rebuild, I think they did the right thing by starting it now. Doc, Paul, KG didn't want to be a part of that, so we sent them to "ideal" situations. Business is business. They HAVE to do what's best for the franchise. So we can't retire Paul and KG. So.... we did the next best thing in sending them to contenders. Even though one of them is even in our own conference. At the end of the day, everybody wins.

To an extent, I agree with B. Simmons. But someone needs to let him know that Paul is already married. And thanks shamrock1000 for posting that. I hadn't seen it.