Forget about trading for the big "rim-protection center".

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from postal5. Show postal5's posts

Forget about trading for the big "rim-protection center".

KO, Sully, and Jeff will easily proove to be the best 3 guys on the frontline by the end of this season.  They HAVE to play together at crunchtime.    As many here have noted (like RallyC), Kelly has nice 2-3 skills in a 7 foot body.  Stevens will have the pleasure of figuring out how to use Sully's rebounding, Jeff's one-on-one skills, and KO's all-court game to form a very unique frontcourt.  There is no room for many minutes for a rim protector unless Jeff is at 2.

Kirk--where are you on this new team. I need one of your pithy comments.  You were one of the first top say Sully would be a stud.  What about KO?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from postal5. Show postal5's posts

Re: Forget about trading for the big

In response to Fierce34's comment:

I think Kirk is now known as chris.

Dang, I will miss the cool !963 "From Rusia with Love" Sean Connery picture.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I was wondering who Chris was.  Chris was new and wanted Doc out of here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stackgtr. Show stackgtr's posts

My dilemna is, Olynyk should truly be at the 4, which would be great if Sully was taller because i think he then could be good playing the 5 spot. Which means something has to give!! Either we play Olynyk out of place, or we find a center start Olynyk and bring Sully off the bench. Or worst case scenario, we trade Sully, allowing him to flourish somewhere else for a center/another need.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from postal5. Show postal5's posts

In response to stackgtr's comment:

My dilemna is, Olynyk should truly be at the 4, which would be great if Sully was taller because i think he then could be good playing the 5 spot. Which means something has to give!! Either we play Olynyk out of place, or we find a center start Olynyk and bring Sully off the bench. Or worst case scenario, we trade Sully, allowing him to flourish somewhere else for a center/another need.

But if the C's to trade Sully in order to get a "decent" defender at center, they give up Sully's 11 rebounds per game potential.  The "decent" defender they get back will deter a few layups but he wil not rebound like a terrific natural rebounder that Sully appears to be.  Plus Sully's ability to hit the mid range shot and pass well would be important to this unique frontcourt's ability to pull other D's out of the paint.  I keep saying "decent": defenders, because their are so few really good defensive post guys.  We can't get Chand;ler, M Gasol, Strange Dwight,--- so who is worth losing all that Sully brings?  I do not think Asisk is woth it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

you need more than 3 players   to get minutes in a frontcourt.

Getting Asik (if it would even be possible) wouldn't mean Green, Sully or KO would be off the roster or even out of the rotation.

and I am starting to think many here are REALLY over hyping KO after a couple games in the summer league!!

D> Nowitski (who many are comparing hs game to) played about 20 min a game as a rookie.

so lets assume he'll take a year at least before we're putting him on All star teams.

I wouldn't be surprised if he comes off the bench all this season.

with that in mind a frontcourt of

Asik- 28min/G

Sullinger- 28Min/G

KO- 24Min/G

Green- 32Min/G

Wallace/Bass/Humphries (whichever stays)- 32 Min/G Combined

there is PLENTY of NBA minutes for a true center (if they can find one that is).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from postal5. Show postal5's posts

In response to kdp59's comment:

you need more than 3 players   to get minutes in a frontcourt.

Getting Asik (if it would even be possible) wouldn't mean Green, Sully or KO would be off the roster or even out of the rotation.

and I am starting to think many here are REALLY over hyping KO after a couple games in the summer league!!

D> Nowitski (who many are comparing hs game to) played about 20 min a game as a rookie.

so lets assume he'll take a year at least before we're putting him on All star teams.

I wouldn't be surprised if he comes off the bench all this season.

with that in mind a frontcourt of

Asik- 28min/G

Sullinger- 28Min/G

KO- 24Min/G

Green- 32Min/G

Wallace/Bass/Humphries (whichever stays)- 32 Min/G Combined

there is PLENTY of NBA minutes for a true center (if they can find one that is).

I like your outcome here, which means we keep Sully and add a solid all around center who would be content with less than 30 minutes a game. I just do not want to give up Sully at age 22 when he could develop into an important longterm Celtic. His game, knowledge, and attitude could make him a futre captain.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

I we had a legit center, we could swing Jeff Green as needed.  We need a backup point guard and an adequate center...someone who can rebound and defend....and we will have a really good team.  Platooning Gerald Wallace at 2/3 and AB coming off the bench...?  Stevens must be happy to  have these kinds of headaches.

So Shavlik Randolph and/or Colton Iverson and/or Fab Melo aren't going to be sufficient for our purposes?  Does Pressey make the team as Rondo's backup?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

With all these draft picks we've aquired, we can always look to get a center with those. Willie Cauly-Stein (Ky), Przemek Karnowski (Gonzaga), Isaiah Austin  (Baylor), Joel Embiid (Kansas), Kaleb Tarczewski (Arizona), just to name a few coming out of next years draft.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

In response to shines01's comment:

I we had a legit center, we could swing Jeff Green as needed.  We need a backup point guard and an adequate center...someone who can rebound and defend....and we will have a really good team.  Platooning Gerald Wallace at 2/3 and AB coming off the bench...?  Stevens must be happy to  have these kinds of headaches.

So Shavlik Randolph and/or Colton Iverson and/or Fab Melo aren't going to be sufficient for our purposes?  Does Pressey make the team as Rondo's backup?

yes I agree we need a STARTING center and vet BU point still, as this team sits today.

I don't buy into the tank at all cost mantra that many here seem to be wanting.

that said I don't think you bring in additonal players unless the staff feels they will be additional pieces for the final puzzle.

and no I think Melo, Randolph and iverson are all end of benchers at best.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I would just say hold the horses on any thoughts that Olynyk > Sully. From what I've seen, Jared has the better BBIQ, better rebounding skills, the bigger chip on his shoulder. Jared also has a smooth mid-range jumpshot that was not showcased under Doc's system with KG here.

I really like Olynyk and I want to see the Kelly-Sully combo (I call dibs on that phrase), but at this moment in time, I think Sully is the better overall basketball player at his position.

What makes me smile, is the fact that both of these guys are winners. Both were "the man" on their college teams, both are level headed, intelligent, and driven.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

I would just say hold the horses on any thoughts that Olynyk > Sully. From what I've seen, Jared has the better BBIQ, better rebounding skills, the bigger chip on his shoulder. Jared also has a smooth mid-range jumpshot that was not showcased under Doc's system with KG here.

I really like Olynyk and I want to see the Kelly-Sully combo (I call dibs on that phrase), but at this moment in time, I think Sully is the better overall basketball player at his position.

What makes me smile, is the fact that both of these guys are winners. Both were "the man" on their college teams, both are level headed, intelligent, and driven.

Right.  We started to see last year what Sully could do against NBA starting talent.  He was becoming a walking double-double.  I love what I see with Olynyk, but we haven't seen it yet against NBA talent.  We've seen it against D league talent.  It's been a long time since the Celtics have had a rebounder of Sully's class.  I don't want to give that up....plus Sully is also a great passer and will be a good scorer too.  Looking forward to seeing Olynyk and Sully on the court together.  If Sully hadn't gotten hurt, he would've been the ROY last year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stackgtr. Show stackgtr's posts

We dont necessarily have to trade Sully but even as good as he is, i dont think he will be starting over KO at pf. You need that height and that offense on the floor as much as possible. Which means Sully will most likely be a back up pf as long as KO is producing. Ko is not a center by any means, so to have him and Sully on the floor at the same time would mean one of the two plays Center. Sully has the size to battle some of the nba Centers but will be giving up alot in height and vice versa with KO.