Free Throw Shooting?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

Re: Free Throw Shooting?

Have you seen the size of Shaq's hands? They dwarf Duncan's and most NBA players of his stature.  Therein lies the problem. There was something on ESPN awhile ago where they spoke about his FT technique and said that he has to basically balance the ball on one hand in order to get a comfotable form.  Pretty much like the equivalent of shooting a basketball with a baseball glove.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

This post should be about Rondo, not Shaq.

Shaq is at 55% this yr which is about the best you can expect for him.  At this stage of his career you can't really expect him to improve much.

Rondo on the other hand is at 41%.  That's beyond embarassing, especially for a PG, and causes the C's to change the way they do things at the end of close games because they don't want the ball in his hands.  As much as I love Rondo, this is a serious flaw in his game that needs major improvement. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

I saw a Red Auerbach video a long time ago about free throw shooting and he advocated, for people with large hands to hold the ball with their finger tips when shooting free throws. It is a technique I have used my whole life. I think it minimizes the things that can go wrong in your release.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

In Response to Re: Free Throw Shooting?:
    [QUOTE]Have you seen the size of Shaq's hands? They dwarf Duncan's and most NBA players of his stature.  Therein lies the problem. There was something on ESPN awhile ago where they spoke about his FT technique and said that he has to basically balance the ball on one hand in order to get a comfotable form.  Pretty much like the equivalent of shooting a basketball with a baseball glove.
    Posted by Driscoll92587[/QUOTE]

AGREE!!
    ...end of discussion. Drisco absolutely right.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MuellerTime19. Show MuellerTime19's posts

Rondo on the other hand is at 41%

That sentence is disgusting. If he is a hard worker like everyone says. Learn it. 

This has been my only gripe about him and its a KILLER. We have a point guard that BLOWS by people to the glass,  doesnt shoot the 1 1/2 inch layup in order to get an assist, knowing if he got fouled he would miss both. 

Other than that he is perfect for the Celtics. Everybody has their game flaws, we just happen to have a PG with only 1.      1 MAJOR ONE.

41%. I still can't believe it.

Wouldn't trade him for anyone with this team BTW. Just venting.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

Some players never become good free throw shooters even when they work at it like animals.

You think that Shaq hasn't tried to improve?  Or Rondo for that matter.  Jerry West said that Wilt was a good FT'er in practice but horrible in games.

Not that it can't be done--Karl Malone and Jason Kidd come to mind--but there aren't too many poor FT'ers who become good ones.

On the other hand there have been many good or acceptable FT'ers who later become horrible.  Antoine Walker, Bill Walton, Gerorge McGinnis, Nate Thurmond and probably the most bizzare instance, Otis Birdsong, who was one of the top shooting gurds of his era but who degenerated into a bricklayer on the line.

Never underestimate the part played by confidence.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Remember that rondo started out missing many in a row last year, but improved as he settled into the season.  I'm guessing he'll be around 60% by mid year. Heck, right now I think he'd be better if he shot jumpers from there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

true enough about confidence, pliu. baseballers steve blass and chuck knoblauch come to mind. and when that train leaves the station, she ain't comin' back.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

ESPN's Sport Science reported that Rondo's hands measure 9.5 inches long and 10 inches wide. Those measurements are proportionate to a player taller than Yao Ming

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_big_are_Rajon_Rondo's_hands#ixzz1AMvyLHCj

Big Men arent good at free throws..the hands make it ridiculously hard..soo although i think he should be able to be better than 41..i understand why hes not.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

It is a mental block more than anything else.  To fix that problem you really need a psychologist more than a coach.  I wonder if Rondo would be better at it if he just thought about passing the ball into the hoop rather than doing the shot like everyone else thinks he should.  We all see how accurate his passing is, there's no reason his shooting can't be just as accurate other than the way he thinks about it. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

I forgot who it was but when Rick Barry once wondered aloud why teams didn't hire him as a FT coach, a sports writer answered, "Well, maybe your obnoxious personality has something to do with it, Rick."

But you do wonder why no one shoots FT's underhanded like Barry did.  The last guy besides Barry to do it I can recall was George Johnson, a backup center and Barry's teammate on the Warriors team that won the '75 title.

Barry taught him the underhand FT and Johnson's FT% went from Shaq-like to an acceptable low 70's if I remember right.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from comstock. Show comstock's posts

When you shoot free throws underhand, you have no tired flex muscles to worry about late in games. Overhand shots depend, among other things, upon biceps; underhand shots use a simple wrist action.
       At any rate, since Barry averaged over 90% success, what in the world do people like Shaq or Rondo have to lose?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

Chamberlain shot them underhanded for a while and had about as much success as he had with any of the other techniques he tried.  In his book, "Wilt, Just Like Any Other Seven Foot Black Millionaire Who Lives Next Door," he said he stopped shooting them underhanded because he felt like "big sissy" doing it.

I saw some footage of Bill Russell at USF and, to my suprise, he was shooting them underhanded, at least in that game.

I wonder when he changed.

But to the question why no one shoots FT's underhanded any more, Chamberlain probably supplied the best, or, at least the most honest, answer: he felt like a sissy doing it.

Now the question that really demands an answer is why no one shoots a sky hook like Abdul-Jabbar's any more.  I mean, Jabbar is only the all-time career scoring leader.  The last guy who had a sembalance of a skyhook was Jabbar's teammate Magic and he used it to break our hearts  back in 1987's game five.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

People have genetic limitations as well as effort limitations. Most great athletes, but not all, work on their games and try to improve. Shaq's size is more dominant that any player in history. He can overpower any player in history with his size and strength if allowed to do so. Eye hand coordination, however is another matter. He may not be able to improve his free throw shooting by a significant amount.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"But to the question why no one shoots FT's underhanded any more, Chamberlain probably supplied the best, or, at least the most honest, answer: he felt like a sissy doing it."

You hit the nail on the head.  I think it's ego that prevents these guys from even trying Barry's method.  They should ask themselves this question: 

Is it more embarassing to shoot underhand or to hit less than 50% on FT's??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

In Response to Re: Free Throw Shooting?:
    [QUOTE]This post should be about Rondo, not Shaq. Shaq is at 55% this yr which is about the best you can expect for him.  At this stage of his career you can't really expect him to improve much. Rondo on the other hand is at 41%.  That's beyond embarassing, especially for a PG, and causes the C's to change the way they do things at the end of close games because they don't want the ball in his hands.  As much as I love Rondo, this is a serious flaw in his game that needs major improvement. 
    Posted by siestafiesta[/QUOTE]
    Part of this is Rondo has missed over 10 games and when he plays he barely gets to the line. He hasn't really had a chance to improve this year. Shaq on the other hand  seems to always get the the FT line and has been playing for some 20 odd years. Its
    embarrassing that he has never learned to shoot free throws correctly. He bends his knees as he's shooting and then basically throws it up one handed. It would be extremely simple to correct that type of form to be at least respectable like Perkins. I can shoot FT better than Shaq. At this point in his career there is no excuse. Honestly if you're in the NBA there is no excuse for not at least being respectable FT shooting. If you're good enough to be in the NBA, you need to work on FT. It is a key skill, and there is no reason that every player in the NBA shouldn't be at least repectable at the line.