Future Celtics better with Perk or with Howard?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

Future Celtics better with Perk or with Howard?

So, I've been arguing with my buddy about this for a few days now, and we're both pretty sure each other is wrong...lol, so I'm asking the voters. Would the Celtics be better off re-signing Perk or going after Dwight Howard?

Dwight Howard
    Pros
    -Celtics would obviously be getting the consensus best big man in the game, a game-changer.......and would give them a very solid one/two punch with Rondo and Howard, and more than likely keep the Celtics a contender for a long time.
    Cons-While he no doubt can take over a game, I've also seen him disappear against good defensive centers (like Perk). They'd have to let Perk walk this season, and then sign DH after next season, which would leave us with JO, Shaq, Erden and whatever one year rental we would use for next season (risky considering KG, PP, and RA aren't getting any younger. Would like also have to free up money in order to fit him, which could cost a vital piece.

Kendrick Perkins
    Pros
    -Great defensive player, who can play against anyone, and has shown it in the playoffs, especially against Howard. If he could develop JO's jumper, could become a good offensive player down the road. Would be at a much cheaper price, which would allow the team to spend more money in the SG, SF, and PF positions as the big three slowly retire.
    Cons-Perk is an average offensive player, and will more than likely always be an average offensive player. Coming off knee surgery, which means that he'll probably be 100% at some point next season, but with knees and Centers especially....you just never know. Does not have the shot blocking or rebounding abiliites, or explosiveness that Howard does.

I personally think the Celtics re-signing Perk is a no-brainer. It'll make for a muuch smoother transition for the Celtics into the future, and allows them to spend more $$$ on replacing the big 3 when the times comes...with guys just as good, (instead of 2nd or 3rd tier talent), which allows us to match up better agains teams like Miami, who look to be the team to beat over the next 5 seasons or so.......while still having a solid PG/C combo for the future, and still having a center who can play against anyone...and has proven it by shutting down DH in the playoffs...in the past.

But, maybe I am way off...so what do you think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Re: Future Celtics better with Perk or with Howard?

It's not the same thing. Perk will be a free-agent after this season while Howard will be a free-agent after next season. If you pass on Perk this season and you don't get Howard next season then the Celtics will end up with nothing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

In Response to Re: Future Celtics better with Perk or with Howard?:
    [QUOTE]It's not the same thing. Perk will be a free-agent after this season while Howard will be a free-agent after next season. If you pass on Perk this season and you don't get Howard next season then the Celtics will end up with nothing.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

That's true...I argued that point. But, they could always re-sign Perk and then trade him next offseason if they were to get Dwight. Be kind of a crappy thing to do.....but I wouldn't say impossible.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

P34 is right on the apples to oranges comparison.  However, to answer your question directly, I say Howard.  Yes, he'll cost more, but that's because he's so much better.  He plays great help side D and he's offense is massively better than Perk and he's learned to shoot free throws.  I love Perk but I'm not so emotional as to pass up a Howard who can anchor a team for a long time.  Put Rondo and Howard together and they'll attract a great player who wants to compete with the Heat, Knicks, Thunder, and Knicks of the future.  

Howard easily.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Future Celtics better with Perk or with Howard?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Future Celtics better with Perk or with Howard? : That's true...I argued that point. But, they could always re-sign Perk and then trade him next offseason if they were to get Dwight. Be kind of a crappy thing to do.....but I wouldn't say impossible.
    Posted by tmot1234[/QUOTE]

Whether the Celtics have Perk or not Danny Ainge will most likely pursue Howard when the contracts of KG and Ray are up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

if the question is assuming both players can be had, and we are SURE to get either player, which one is better for our future..i think the no brainer is D12. but we cant assure that possibility which makes everything tricky. in saying that..its possible we could have our eyes on him for the future.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

Howard looks destined to be a future Hall of Famer. He's better than Perk in practically all aspects of the game. This is a no brainer. Howard is also the franchise player of the Magic. The only possible way I can see the Magic trading him to the Celtics is in exchange for Rondo, Perkins and BBD.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

You lost me at Perkins is just an average offensive player.  Perkins on a team without three or four hall of famers and Rondo is at best a role player. It does not take much to imagine him getting few shots around the basket without far more skilled players around him.

Howard would never come here.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Howard has greatly improved as a free throw shooter.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

Obviously Howard is a better player than Perk....there's no question. Just like it's obvious that Carmelo is better than Bynum.....but would the Lakers be a better team if they made that trade? I'm not so sure...

So my question is, all things considered, what's the best route for the C's to take?

Sign Perk this year and be done with it? Let Perk walk and take your chances next year, and then make a run at Howard after next season? Try to get Howard this offseason (don't think this would ever happen), or go in another direction this offseason with someone entirely different.

Everyone keeps saying they'd rather have DH......well obviously....but is it worth all the risks that everyone has mentioned? That's my question...not who's better....lol