Game Thread: Celtics vs Hawks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs Hawks

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Celts don't really need to give the Mavs expiring contracts. Next season the Mavs will only have 8 players under contract and that includes Marion.

Marion's salary next season is 9m. If the Mavs swap Marion for Bass, 6.45m salary next season, and another player, maybe Collins or Wilcox, then the Mavs will get a younger player with a smaller salary.

At 34 years old, going 35 this May, Marion is not part of the Mavs' future plans. They're also not a playoff team. So the Mavs will most probably deal Marion on or before the trade deadline. 

[/QUOTE]

Fierce, the Celts have to match salary for the trade and what will be Dallas' motivation if the move doesn't reduce payroll.  Bass is not an expiring contract.  But the salary cap filler will need to be expiring.  That was my point.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesandersonwho. Show jamesandersonwho's posts

In response to JamezHill24's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to JamezHill24's comment:
    [QUOTE]

nope, thats an overhaul. Jeff Green is a big part of our plans, and we need him to produce for us to have a chance.

[/QUOTE]

It's not an overhaul.

Jeff Green will only be part of the plan if he's producing. It's game 33 for Jeff Green and he still hasn't showed us that he can be a good player.

[/QUOTE]

how many games did it take Avery Bradley? Matter of fact, who outside of ME was calling for us to keep and give Avery Bradley a chance last year??

[/QUOTE]

I called for Bradley too!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Marion would also help with the rebounding problems.  He does a lot of things that don't show up in the boxscore.  Doesn't need plays ran for him to be effective.  Plays defense.  Yes he could help us a lot.  We might have to throw in a second round pick with Bass to make it happen.  

This is like 99% of the trade proposals.  It most likely won't ever happen.

[/QUOTE]

i thought people said these things about barbosa?!  look at him in green.  not anything worth having under this system

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Here is our first quarter defense, play by play.  I watched this again this morning.  The was as ugly defense as we can play.  While Rondo was instrumental in us getting the win,  triple double etc,  he was also the main reason we were so far behind to begin with.  Our best player has to show more effort than I saw during this quarter.  This is not what a leader does. Rondo was assigned to Williams.  Williams scored a career high for a quarter and nearly outscored our entire team.  RR also had at least two turnovers to go with it.

Rondo can be as good as he wants to be. The second half his "stats" were good.  His defense was better but still could improve more.   You may think I am picking on RR here.  The point being is he is our "best" player.  Our best player cannot be the main reason we are looking at being 20 pts down in the second quarter.  

Bradley and Rondo are the guys that can kickstart us.  We have to have the 2nd half Rondo for 4 quarters, not 2.  Bradley is still coming around.

Here you go.

1-Teague drive by Bradley for layup

2.Williams shoots 3pter Rondo - does not even raise hand to contest.

3. Williams is going in for layup on semi fast break-Rondo doesn't even try to stop it,  stays with Teague on the outside.

4. Williams 3pter- Rondo very slow to react but does raise his hand during this shot.

5. Horfords gets layup on half court set.

6. Williams 3 pter.  Rondo gets hung up on screen. (11 pts)

7. Williams layup off inbounds play- Rondo turned head (13 pts)

8. Korver 3 pter- Pierce sags off to cover Josh Smith under basket-Bass was slow rotating.

9. Williams gets fouled on drive off Rondo TO (2nd) Williams career high pts quarter(14)

10. Williams jumper at free throw line- Green covering (16 pts)

11. Smith jumper for 2 pts..Sully covering.

12. Smith 2 free throws- foul Collins

13. Teague- layup on Lee- Terry stays on his man on the perimeter instead of contesting layup.

14. Teauge- layup at end of quarter of made basket by KG.  No one stopped him

First Quarter Williams 16 pts - Celtics 18 pts.  (6 layups)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Rondo's ole defense is well documented. The infamous reach from behind and hope to poke the ball out and leave the bigs hangin defense has become a staple in his game as much the fake behind the back pass layup.

However I think Rondos biggest issue defensively is fighting thru picks and with avery playin on the ball this is gonna be less of an issue. Rondo just has to play up on sg's and use his length to make up for height disadvantage, hes quickness advabtage against almost any 2 to stay in front of.  When your playing off the ball defense your guy is most likely in a catch and shoot position, u have to make him put the ball on the floor, unlike defending a pg where hes almost never in that position to catch and shoot and looking more to drive and breakdown the defense. Its just an adjumstment, and i saw him make it last night in the 2nd half he got in williams airspace and i believe he only had 6-8 pts in the 2nd half and 3 of those points came off a lucky bounce where we  blocked a shot and the ball went right to him and he was wide open for an ez 3. If he can play defense like he did in the 2nd half we will have a heck of a defensive backcourt.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Kirk,  you did notice that when we were on that big run against the Hawks that Doc was playing small ball didn't you? 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to OneOnOne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kirk,  you did notice that when we were on that big run against the Hawks that Doc was playing small ball didn't you? 

[/QUOTE]

HAHAHA

[/QUOTE]

Small ball works if everyone is playing the right way.  Still would like to have that big manning the middle when KG is out.