Game Thread: Celtics vs Sixers, Game 4

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs Sixers, Game 4

2 days off until the next game and we got HCA back
    That's good.
    Unfortunately, this series is a long way from over.
    Now it's the C's turn to get naseous watching game film.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I love Celtic fans.  When the team wins one game in Philly - we are about to win the championship and this is the greatest team ready to play the Spurs in the finals.   When they lose a game where Philly came back and we did MANY things wrong - fans go overboard with the criticsm as if everything the Coach and the players have always done is stupid and wrong and every move was wrong.

We played bad and many moves/plays we tried didn't work - as does every team in the NBA at some point.  ONLY the Spurs have yet to have a bad game.  NO OTHER NBA PLAYOFF TEAM has gone without a frustrating loss.   In addition, Philly fought through it and really played well.  They hit difficult shots and tough shots in pressure situations where we played good D.

It happens.  We will win the series.  Don't slit your wrists, fans.  Celtics Coaches and players will adjust as Philly adjusted on us (like their double teaming of Garnett to get him out of his rhythm.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs Sixers, Game 4:
    [QUOTE]Rondo was terrible tonight.  He took the 3rd quarter off.  Cost the team.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]
    Come on, a collapse this monumental doesn't come down to one player. It was very much a team effort.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

So many easy buckets for the 76ers in the 4th. Every hoop seemed to be in the paint near the basket. What happened to the D? Ray stunk. Bradley was not effective in the 4th. Rondo just disappears and reappears from time to time in 4th. Poor KG was left trying to defend 2 guys in the post. No rebound presence. None. No heart or desire to gut that win out after coughing up a 15 point lead. And then to loose by 9. WOW. No excuses Petey. The Cs gifted that win. The Cs choked worse than LA did in game 2.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Rondo was terrible tonight.  He took the 3rd quarter off.  Cost the team.

Don't tell JamezHill that.   He'll tell you that we just don't see the good in Rondo!

Rondo wasn't the only culprit.  Ray was terrible, KG appeared beat and couldn't hit, Paul missed critical shots including a layup, and Philly outrebounded us by a huge margin.   Clearly, they fought like they didn't want their season to end while we made mistakes down the stretch.   Tonight, they got the upper hand but its just 2 to 2 at this point and we go home for the next game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]If anybody on this board claims that we GAVE Philly this game, you are delusional.  We did not give Philly anything.  We let Philly TAKE this game from us.  Philly showed what they are about and took this game and we showed our true colors (definition of inconsistency) and did not take this game when we had it in our grasps. We got ourselves a series now.  Oh, we'll still win it but we have a series when, honestly, they should be on the brink of elimination.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

Already posted this, but huge free throw discrepancy which was in favor of Philadelphia, which allowed them to get back into this game.  The momentum switched after that.  I don't think the Celtics let Philly back into the game, the refs did.  The Celtics didn't get to the line at all, even when they were fouled. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs Sixers, Game 4 : Don't tell JamezHill that.   He'll tell you that we just don't see the good in Rondo! Rondo wasn't the only culprit.  Ray was terrible, KG appeared beat and couldn't hit, Paul missed critical shots including a layup, and Philly outrebounded us by a huge margin.   Clearly, they fought like they didn't want their season to end while we made mistakes down the stretch.   Tonight, they got the upper hand but its just 2 to 2 at this point and we go home for the next game.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

There is no guarantee the Cs won't lay an egg at home. This team is so inconsistent. Killer instinct is just not there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs Sixers, Game 4 : There is no guarantee the Cs won't lay an egg at home. This team is so inconsistent. Killer instinct is just not there.
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]

We'll see.  I have much more faith than you do.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

[QUOTE]I love Celtic fans.  When the team wins one game in Philly - we are about to win the championship and this is the greatest team ready to play the Spurs in the finals.   When they lose a game where Philly came back and we did MANY things wrong - fans go overboard with the criticsm as if everything the Coach and the players have always done is stupid and wrong and every move was wrong. We played bad and many moves/plays we tried didn't work - as does every team in the NBA at some point.  ONLY the Spurs have yet to have a bad game.  NO OTHER NBA PLAYOFF TEAM has gone without a frustrating loss.   In addition, Philly fought through it and really played well.  They hit difficult shots and tough shots in pressure situations where we played good D. It happens.  We will win the series.  Don't slit your wrists, fans.  Celtics Coaches and players will adjust as Philly adjusted on us (like their double teaming of Garnett to get him out of his rhythm.
    To be this soberminded, you must, unlike the rest of us, have a life.
    Guess we go back to taking things one game at a time now.
    Hope the team pulls together for Game 5.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs Sixers, Game 4 : There is no guarantee the Cs won't lay an egg at home. This team is so inconsistent. Killer instinct is just not there.
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]

There was sentiment they were done in the first half of the season.  TRADE 'em, get rid of them, etc.   Then, they looked bad in games against Atlanta and how could we stink like that.  Atlanta's going to beat our butts.  Then when Philly won in Boston - we stunk and we were dead according to some folks.   Then tonight, you're saying we have no killer instinct as if the Celtics didn't go in trying to win the game and trying to put a dagger in Philly.   You just need some faith man.....how many times do you have to see this team fight hard before you realize that KG, Paul, etc will not rollover and lay an egg.   From the fight in 2009 against Chicago and Orlando to the 2010 season when no one thought we'd get to the finals to this year when folks like you wrote us off...... please think about the heart of this team and have faith.   We will win!!!!

Go Celtics!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

well, it's games like this, where if rondo was a complete player he would have been able to score some to yank us out of the doldrums.  13 points or whatever when your team dies a brutal death of non-scoring becuase older guys are hurt, tired or stinko just doesn't cut it with me. 

an elite PG should be able to go out and get 25 if it's needed and not just by accident

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs Sixers, Game 4 : To be this soberminded, you must, unlike the rest of us, have a life. Guess we go back to taking things one game at a time now. Hope the team pulls together for Game 5.
    Posted by breaktime[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Breaktime.  I hope they don't let me down and prove my faith in them is misplaced!

Can't wait until the next game.  Love the NBA playoffs!   Hate the refs!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs Sixers, Game 4 : There was sentiment they were done in the first half of the season.  TRADE 'em, get rid of them, etc.   Then, they looked bad in games against Atlanta and how could we stink like that.  Atlanta's going to beat our butts.  Then when Philly won in Boston - we stunk and we were dead according to some folks.   Then tonight, you're saying we have no killer instinct as if the Celtics didn't go in trying to win the game and trying to put a dagger in Philly.   You just need some faith man.....how many times do you have to see this team fight hard before you realize that KG, Paul, etc will not rollover and lay an egg.   From the fight in 2009 against Chicago and Orlando to the 2010 season when no one thought we'd get to the finals to this year when folks like you wrote us off...... please think about the heart of this team and have faith.   We will win!!!! Go Celtics!!!!

teams should not go backwards- we struggled in 2008 vs. hawks and away from home and then after a certain point, we were beyond that and brutalized cleveland at home.

so you expect that the "heart" of a team would now lead these abject terrible performances?  this isn't one game, or two or three.  it's ALL BUT ONE GAME in this post season has been horrible.  that's a lot.

it indicates there is a problem with the team.  coaching is obviously a problem looking at the spread of tonight's minutes which made as much sense as dousing yourself in gasoline and playing with matches.

beyond that, obviously some other issues too.  like lack of heart...

everyone has pride at one point or another- that's what you saw in game 3- pride and anger.  now back to malaise.  arguably mildly to heavily assisted by rivers tonight.  avery with the superior +/- and bass with a good performance do not see enough time and KG gets used up like an old shoe....

many would argue that the "brain" of a team is the coach....   and i think we got crickets there instead of any thinking.  with no brain, doesn't matter what the heart does

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs Sixers, Game 4 : There was sentiment they were done in the first half of the season.  TRADE 'em, get rid of them, etc.   Then, they looked bad in games against Atlanta and how could we stink like that.  Atlanta's going to beat our butts.  Then when Philly won in Boston - we stunk and we were dead according to some folks.   Then tonight, you're saying we have no killer instinct as if the Celtics didn't go in trying to win the game and trying to put a dagger in Philly.   You just need some faith man.....how many times do you have to see this team fight hard before you realize that KG, Paul, etc will not rollover and lay an egg.   From the fight in 2009 against Chicago and Orlando to the 2010 season when no one thought we'd get to the finals to this year when folks like you wrote us off...... please think about the heart of this team and have faith.   We will win!!!! Go Celtics!!!!

It is not a question of faith. It is a question about which Cs team will show up. Realistically, yes they won 2 games. However, they have only really played one great game thus far in 4 attempts against a lesser team. This older Cs team can't keep taking series to 7 games when there is no need to do so. Yes, no killer instinct tonight. It was a 24 point swing. To me, that shows no killer instinct. And why do you bring up faith? Did you have faith tonight that they would win this game after being up 15, then being up 2, then being down 5? Sloppy play and poor coaching has got nothing to do with my faith. A terrible loss that I hope will propell them to a win at home.

And I never once, so don't lump me into your summations, thought the Cs could not make the playoffs. It is harder to not make the NBA playoffs than to make them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

How can I possibly feel at ease back in Boston for game 5 if we are up by 18 ???

We may win the series in 6 and maybe 7 but I think 5 was essential so the old legs could rest. Look what SA is doing with so many days off !!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs Sixers, Game 4 : Petey, you're gonna have to explain the difference on this one. If I let you come in my house and take my stereo, isn't that the same as giving it to you?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]
    Lloyd, my bad.  I meant "Philly took this game".  I was heading off anyone who suggests we GAVE it to them.  We played as inconsistent as we always do and Philly just kept at it and won.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Idea for Game 5: someone barricade doc into his house so he can't get to the game.  instead put a blow up doll on the bench and pretend he's "coach" and let KG and pierce player-coach the game.

we surely wouldn't get any worse substitutions and icing out's of players who are hot, right?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

"Our guys are pretty amazing," said Collins. "They really, really are."

Our guys too are amazing and, obviously, I don't mean that in a positive sense !!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs Sixers, Game 4 : Lloyd, my bad.  I meant "Philly took this game".  I was heading off anyone who suggests we GAVE it to them.  We played as inconsistent as we always do and Philly just kept at it and won.
    Ah, gotcha. Makes sense now. Though I would argue the Celtics certainly helped the Sixers take it. Or to go back to my earlier analogy, they stole our stereo, but we left the front door unlocked.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs Sixers, Game 4 : Already posted this, but huge free throw discrepancy which was in favor of Philadelphia, which allowed them to get back into this game.  The momentum switched after that.  I don't think the Celtics let Philly back into the game, the refs did.  The Celtics didn't get to the line at all, even when they were fouled. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

but, but, but- didn't we pull off cold-as-ice shooting during the giveaway of the 18 point lead?  and jump shooting at that?  non-aggressive ball doesn't get foul calls!  that accounts for at least some of the disparity.

it's games like this that i wash rondo had 20% of the tiny archibald in him that tiny had.  when it was called for, tiny would beat his man, get into the paint and full well knowing he wouldn't make the shot, draw the foul and get us two points the hard way.  THAT is the sort of play that we needed tonight to stop the points bleeding.  and we can't get it from rajon because he is spooked by free throws and avoids having to take them at all costs....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs Sixers, Game 4 : Already posted this, but huge free throw discrepancy which was in favor of Philadelphia, which allowed them to get back into this game.  The momentum switched after that.  I don't think the Celtics let Philly back into the game, the refs did.  The Celtics didn't get to the line at all, even when they were fouled. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

susan, I disagree.  The refs did not allow Philly to do anything.  We were slow and lazy on defense.  We got beat on several occasions and we kept fouling.  We reached and did not move our feet and Philly got the calls because they were aggressive.

We were not aggressive and did not force the action.  That is what generates fouls.  We have guys like AB and Bass and Rondo that do their best to play close to the vest on defense and oftentimes that causes fouls.

Besides, a championship caliber team recognizes how the refs are calling the game and THEY ADJUST to that.  When the game is being called tight, smart teams know they have to defend smarter and we did not do that tonight.

We did not play smart offensively tonight either.  Not for a full 48 minutes.

Honestly you could tell when we had the early lead that it was tenuous because we could not shake them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CA_Sox. Show CA_Sox's posts

[QUOTE]I love Celtic fans.  When the team wins one game in Philly - we are about to win the championship and this is the greatest team ready to play the Spurs in the finals.   When they lose a game where Philly came back and we did MANY things wrong - fans go overboard with the criticsm as if everything the Coach and the players have always done is stupid and wrong and every move was wrong. We played bad and many moves/plays we tried didn't work - as does every team in the NBA at some point.  ONLY the Spurs have yet to have a bad game.  NO OTHER NBA PLAYOFF TEAM has gone without a frustrating loss.   In addition, Philly fought through it and really played well.  They hit difficult shots and tough shots in pressure situations where we played good D. It happens.  We will win the series.  Don't slit your wrists, fans.  Celtics Coaches and players will adjust as Philly adjusted on us (like their double teaming of Garnett to get him out of his rhythm.

I agree but its not that simplistic..Doc ran KG to the ground and I think it is going to affect him next game....and...there was no reason...none... not to put Bass in the game in the second half... he was playing great ... we were gettin killed on the boards because we had no energy and no size and Doc did nothing to rectify that... Im sorry but we could have won this game if Doc substituted the way he should have.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CA_Sox. Show CA_Sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs Sixers, Game 4 : well, it's games like this, where if rondo was a complete player he would have been able to score some to yank us out of the doldrums.  13 points or whatever when your team dies a brutal death of non-scoring becuase older guys are hurt, tired or stinko just doesn't cut it with me.  an elite PG should be able to go out and get 25 if it's needed and not just by accident
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]

Stop with the blame Rondo stuff... Rondo is NOT a scorer and this team has never relied on him to do that to win.... how about you look to the Big 3 in the 4th quarter?.. . If they are so tired then they should sit.....but dont blame this on Rondo...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs Sixers, Game 4 : susan, I disagree.  The refs did not allow Philly to do anything.  We were slow and lazy on defense.  We got beat on several occasions and we kept fouling.  We reached and did not move our feet and Philly got the calls because they were aggressive. We were not aggressive and did not force the action.  That is what generates fouls.  We have guys like AB and Bass and Rondo that do their best to play close to the vest on defense and oftentimes that causes fouls. Besides, a championship caliber team recognizes how the refs are calling the game and THEY ADJUST to that.  When the game is being called tight, smart teams know they have to defend smarter and we did not do that tonight. We did not play smart offensively tonight either.  Not for a full 48 minutes. Honestly you could tell when we had the early lead that it was tenuous because we could not shake them.

You're half right Petey. The other half you chose not to address.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Good grief, anyone watching Lakers-Thunder? James Harden just breathed on Kobe twice and got called for fouls.
    Then Kobe blantantly walked and ... of course ... no call.