Going small never works

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Re: Going small never works

Green is just soft.  He is like a 2 guard playing the 4.  I would like to see Darko with KG once in a while to learn to play better D and learn the D faster, kind of like Perk.  Sully is a good player and I already like him better than Green.  Lee is a decent player but I hate to say it (no ray) Bradley is better IMO and will help when he gets back.  I like Barbosa, he runs like a deer. Who is our defensive coach now?  I am concered b/c Franks has a head job now.  Maybe we have a problem there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

.........at the end, CELTICS will look for legit center --- DARCO is a wasteland!

again, Celtics problem through out the years..................NO REBOUND NO win no RING.

tHEY could have kept Stiemsma -- way better......or pursue Smith.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

In response to CHEisCHE's comment:
    [QUOTE]

.........at the end, CELTICS will look for legit center --- DARCO is a wasteland!

again, Celtics problem through out the years..................NO REBOUND NO win no RING.

tHEY could have kept Stiemsma -- way better......or pursue Smith.

[/QUOTE]

But Che-che we need to go small to match the heat.....lol.   I agree. Last night outrebounded by 10   and putrid defense all night.  If Defense is effort then this team needs a boot in the Ars big time.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from green-mtn-boy. Show green-mtn-boy's posts

docs mind is made up. this is what youre going to see this season.little ball. not many rebounds and the paint wide open. we dont have an anchor to hold the paint. kevins at his best when he can roam. we need another perk type. for all of his shooting weakness he knew the d and tied his man up. not to mention lebron was excited he was gone.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Watched the Knicks with Kurt Thomas maning the middle beat the crap out of the Heat.

Get a clue Doc.

[/QUOTE]

I agree Kirk6 and I hate to say anything negaitive about Doc but he played around with his combinations way too much in the Pre-season. It is pretty obvious this team has not come together and instead of getting rotations together and having guys learn each other, it was a different batch every game and it is showing up now. The problem with going bigger is our bigger players are not very good but I do agree the C's need to do so. Play Darko and Jason Collins {has he played at all yet} and let KG go back to where he needs to be. KG played pretty well at Center down the stretch last year but that was a short period in a short season. IF he continues to play Center for an entire season he will be worn out by the All-Star break.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Darko was a minus 3.

Green was a minus 16.

We were killed on points in the paint. We were outrebounded by 10.

Going small never works.

[/QUOTE]

repeating over and over that "going small never works" and "statsistics show green is not effective at the 4" serves no useful purpose. of course green is better at the 3. no one would dispute that. but this team is what it is and jeff green is going to play major minutes here, which means he is going to be at the 4 sometimes. I think the key is who he is matched up with. if it's pierce and garnett or milicic (maybe even wilcox) then it's okay I'd say. the combo I personally do not like is when there is no one serving as a center on the court who is over 6 "8". if that's your point then I'd agree. It's okay for a gimmick and to use for a short spurt, but you don't want to throw a squad out there that's going to get killed on the boards on a regular basis. and if you are going to do that you better run and run often. so the issue as well is that so far when the Celts have gone small they haven't run enough.

also, when you refer to "going small" you have to realize that the NBA is in a process of evolving and true centers are almost on-existent in todays nba. I don't think anyone would label chris bosh a "true center," but there he is, starting for a defending NBA champ. there are so few legitimate centers that they've even altered the all-star ballot to say "frontcourt player" because there are not enough legit candidates who are actual centers. 

should also be noted that two games is a ridiculously small sample period to be making absolute statements about anything. the celts have played terrible basketball, but they have a lot of new guys to incorporate, a deep rotation to figure out, etc. two of their main power forwards are undersized; their starting center is undersized (at least from a weight/bulk/strength standpoint); one of their key 2s is undersized so having some issues with size is a given. further, wilcox and milici each have health issues at the moment so we don't know how much that is influencing their minutes and affecting the overall subtituing philosophy. 

by almost all credible sources (including annual gm poll) doc rivers is the second best coach in the nba (after popovich). 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

The worst part of the game was when we had jgreen,bbass and sully all on the floor at the same time, a bunch of 6'8 guys, we looked horrible. No rim protection. Docs got to stop with these funky small ball lineups. The celtics are a horrible rebounding team already, y would u voluntarily go smaller? We need to get bigger so we can protect the paint, get more rebounds and then outlet and get into transition. Like doc says multiple stops. U aint gettin multiple stops with sully as your premier shot blocker. He needs to set up more traditioanl lineups. The starting 5 is fine. The 2nd unit should be:

Barbosa, terry, jgreen, sully, darko. Thats it.   If he wants to have a starter or two in there he needs to make direct replacements. You cant take kg out and replace him with sully as your 5. If kg comes out put in darko. If bbass comes out u put in sully. Thats how you play a 10 man rotation.

I really like barbosa at  pg, cuz he can penetrate and it allows jet to play off the ball and spot up and space the floor. Jeff green needs  to wake the helll up. His defense has been horrible and offensively he holds the ball too long and then settles for a jumper.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbostonceltics. Show bigbostonceltics's posts

scoring points off of fastbreaks is nice when and if you can get them however,teams that have a strong low post game will more than likely win the championship than teams that do not.in order to do that a team must think bigmen first,1)higher percentage shots because of playing in the paint,2)better chance of getting opponents bigmen in foul trouble,3)freethrows,4)the opponents guards are going to think twice before driving to the hoop when they get their head half knocked off by one of those giants.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

If we can't get the Big Fella from Utah(AJ) by giving up Bass than perhaps we can get Milsap. They are both basically the same size but Milsap is  better in most aspects of the game. Others have advocated getting Milsap and I have been reluctant due to his tweener status. However, due to the fact that it appears height w/talent remains a premium , I believe that if we have to settle for a smallish starting PF, Milsap is our boy. Although, if both have to come off the bench than keeping Bass is the better option. If Sully were to step forward and take the mantle then nevermind...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

Pulling Darko when he makes mistakes(Yes, the Slavic Superman) has been the story of his life. Why has anyone realized that pulling him out to ponder his miscues hasn't been the best tact so far? If you want a 10-10-3-2.5-1 player that will possibly learn thru his mistakes and gain confidence w/out looking over his shoulder then FREE DARKO...WTF.

15. This post has been removed.