Grade the Celtics moves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Grade the Celtics moves

Well it's looking like things may slow down now that we signed Quis back. There may be one more player to sign to the VM.

All in all, we really haven't changed that much but considering we lost Perk and picked up JON it's not all that bad. I think the off season would've looked totally different had Perk not got hurt or we won the title.

I'll give Ainge a B- considering we got Doc and the core back, lost TA but gained JON. I doubt with another signing he could get an A...unless it's TMac

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Re: Grade the Celtics moves

A + for O'neal

but C- for no other help

The rest of the league are getting richer --- say Lakers & Miami?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I think re-signing Nate was good.  I also feel that signing O'Neal was a great pick up.  I think we had to "save face" by re-signing Quis with nobody wanting to come to Boston.  I was of the opinion that Quis couldn't wait to get out of Boston after last season and the Celtics weren't going to block his path out.  Boy, was I mistaken.

I think losing TA might have been the most important move for us (not re-signing him).  TA was always a dependable 2nd unit guy.  I'm not saying he did not have his faults but he did enough good things to negate the faults.  That is something Quis was unable to overcome.  Quis just never did enough good things to warrant more time.  Coming into last season, I thought Quis would be a factor all season.  Oh well.

We can really turn things around by getting a solid backup wing either using Sheed's contract or via a sign and trade.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

this is virtually the same exact team as last year, the 2nd place team. meanwhile, other teams and stockpiled some serious talent.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzyDizzyIzzy. Show BuzyDizzyIzzy's posts

In Response to Re: Grade the Celtics moves:
    I think re-signing Nate was good.  I also feel that signing O'Neal was a great pick up.  I think we had to "save face" by re-signing Quis with nobody wanting to come to Boston.  I was of the opinion that Quis couldn't wait to get out of Boston after last season and the Celtics weren't going to block his path out.  Boy, was I mistaken. I think losing TA might have been the most important move for us (not re-signing him).  TA was always a dependable 2nd unit guy.  I'm not saying he did not have his faults but he did enough good things to negate the faults.  That is something Quis was unable to overcome.  Quis just never did enough good things to warrant more time.  Coming into last season, I thought Quis would be a factor all season.  Oh well. We can really turn things around by getting a solid backup wing either using Sheed's contract or via a sign and trade.
    Posted by Petey62

TA was always a dependable 2nd unit guy? Are we talking about "Tony Allen" here? He literally had only half a good year with the C's over his entire time since he was drafted. Half the time he was injured, half the time he was a complete bonehead making stupid play after stupid play. It took him 6 plus years to "figure it out" with the C's. He is NOT an intelligent individual, nor does he have good Bball IQ. Personally Im glad he is gone. We already have his replacement signed in Avery Bradley who has significantly more upside than TA. TA remember was actually in college for a full 4 years. AB was only in college for one year. And his game already is leaps and bounds more well rounded and polished from just one year of college vs. 4 years of college ball for TA and years on top of that in the NBA.

SO IMO we actually improved the wingspot by subtraction of TA and the addition of AB and hopefully a full healthy year with MD as well. THoise 2 will be fighting for a playoff rotation spot come playoff time.

Hopefully Doc gives AB significant playing time during the regular season to mature and learn the system and his role.

Regardless if Sheed comes back then I give the offseason a solid "B+" so far as we have a team capable of winning 60 plus games again and going deep in the playoffs if we are healthy. If Sheed retires and we use his contract in a S&T for Shaq, then I give the offseason a solid "A". SInce Shaq would take alot of wear and tear off KG,Perk,JO since he actually WANTS to play and play good minutes as well.  We resigned all the players I was hoping for and let go the 2 big drags I was glad to be rid of(Scal and TA).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olives-Only1. Show Olives-Only1's posts

Gotta give them a "D."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzyDizzyIzzy. Show BuzyDizzyIzzy's posts

this is virtually the same exact team as last year, the 2nd place team. meanwhile, other teams and stockpiled some serious talent.
    Posted by cantstopme
    Same team basically which isnt a bad thing considering we could have and should have won that game 7. Rondo and RObinson should be a better backcourt tandem this upcoming year, KG will be fully healthy finally, JO is an upgrade for limited minutes and is a very good offensive and defensive player, no more Tony Allen and B scalabrine.....that right there is addition by subtraction. Avery Bradley is going to be an excellent player off the bench as TA's replacement, this you can take to the bank on. MD back is not a bad thing,with a year under his belt, BBD by not punching his friend losing half a season by itself is an upgrade.

The big question is Sheed? DOes he come back? I hope he does, unless we use his contract to S&T for Shaq.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarryMangurian. Show HarryMangurian's posts

I think re-signing Nate was good.  I also feel that signing O'Neal was a great pick up.  I think we had to "save face" by re-signing Quis with nobody wanting to come to Boston.  I was of the opinion that Quis couldn't wait to get out of Boston after last season and the Celtics weren't going to block his path out.  Boy, was I mistaken. I think losing TA might have been the most important move for us (not re-signing him).  TA was always a dependable 2nd unit guy.  I'm not saying he did not have his faults but he did enough good things to negate the faults.  That is something Quis was unable to overcome.  Quis just never did enough good things to warrant more time.  Coming into last season, I thought Quis would be a factor all season.  Oh well. We can really turn things around by getting a solid backup wing either using Sheed's contract or via a sign and trade.
    Posted by Petey62

Let'sd hope Bradley can make us forget about TA. Or trade for Damion James lol

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anguskahn. Show anguskahn's posts

Posted by cantstopme

+1

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

So far they've replaced Sheldon Williams, TA, Scal and Finley with O'Neal, Bradley and Haragody.  I don't see anything wrong with that.

Anyone not see a big upgrade with O'Neal?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Incomplete but not dissapointing...Sheed contract leaves everything up in the air...Quis has a contrat to play for, but team is still one wing back up light. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MartiniLover1000. Show MartiniLover1000's posts

Gotta give them a "D".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Incomplete but not dissapointing...Sheed contract leaves everything up in the air...Quis has a contrat to play for, but team is still one wing back up light. 
    Posted by futbal

I don't think Finley would be hard to replace. But I agree it really isn't a disappointment, although not exactly sexy.

Whither Sheed is the question?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dboss. Show dboss's posts

I am going to give them an overall B

Signing JO was a a necessity given the Perk injury and he is a upgrade offensively over perk although Perk is a better defender in the post.  The Celtics will be a more difficult team to defend against.

I'm glad they resigned Nat although I think they gave him too much.  Still wonder why they moved Walker and Giddens.  This would have been the year for them to get into the rotation. 

They got q for short money considering when he signed last year it was anticipated that he could perhaps command the full MLE this year

Very interested to see how the kid bradley does.

Would not mind seeing Ediie House back in boston ( definitely need another knock down shooter) He knows the system and everybody likes him.

Need one more big to replace Sheed.

dboss

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

DR= (A): Would've been a disaster had they not worked with Doc to get him back
    JO= (A-): Yet one has to ask would he have been their first FA choice had Perk not gone down?
    RA= (B+): After the trade window closed and his value was lost last year, getting him for 2 yrs at a reduced rate when he was being lured by LeBron et al. was good.
    PP= (B): Much needed offense. Not needed 4 year contract
    MD= (B-): Considering he's long and no one else was coming to Celts, you have to grade the move this high.
    NR= (C+): Do like his motor and new defensive skills. Don't like his height. Still not sure he can play point but can handle better than House. Just thought he'd come cheaper. Felt like DA had to save face after trading House, Walker, etc away. 

Overall = (B): Not bad but time will tell if just a slightly above average offseason where DA is just plugging holes and not necessarily adding to the team will get the Celts far into the playoffs. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFTW. Show CeltsFTW's posts

In order to win a title this year we had to get better.  A priority should have been to improve rebounding and so far we haven't done anything to address that glaring need.  As it stands we are a worse team  than we were heading into the finals.  TA was key, Playoff Sheed was key and they are both gone.  Not to mention Perk's injury causing us to have to spend the entire midlevel on JO who was probably the worst player in all of the playoffs last year and has bad knees. 

Daniels gets a raise? Even if he can stay on the court, he's hardly a replacement for TA's invaluable defense of players like Kobe and Lebron.  He's not much better than TA on offense either.  Keeping Nate was good but that doesn't improve the team.  It doesn't help that we've lost key players and haven't upgraded any positions and with the big 3 a year older it will be tough just to get back to the finals nevermind win.  Oh, and to top it off we lost Tibbs our defensive guru. This isn't looking good. Offseason moves: D.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrvAlbertsBra. Show MrvAlbertsBra's posts

As a Lakers fan, I love the Celtics moves.  The corpse of Jermaine O'Neal gets an A+!!  I think he's going to arrive in a coffin.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

Getting Doc back:  This was the most important move the C's needed to make and Ainge got it done without wasting time.  This opened the doors to resigning the much needed core players in Ray and Pierce.  GRADE = A

Paul Pierce:  Good extension, but 4 years is a bit much for a player that will be on the wrong side of 36 at the end of his contract.  GRADE: B

Ray Allen:  Good signing overall.  So many of the C's plays run through Ray that they needed him back in order to keep a significant perimeter threat on the floor.
    GRADE: A

Nate Robinson:  Solves the backup PG situation.  Signed for small money and with a full year to get completely comfortable with his role he should be a significant player off the bench.  GRADE: B+

J. O'Neal:  A big man who can fill the starting role very well in Perk's absence.  Don't be surprised if he starts even after the return of Perk.  His offensive game opens the floor for Rondo, giving him a solid passing option.  GRADE: B

Marquis Daniels:  I don't understand why Danny didn't offer more money to TA, but hopefully quis can be the player we expected him to be last year.  I'm not totally writing him off yet, but he has work to do.  GRADE: B-

Shelden Williams:  Thank you for not even glancing in his direction after last season's horrific showing.  GRADE: A+

Getting into the trade mix:  I'm highly disappointed that Danny isn't being aggressive with trade scenarios.  Hopefully he has something up his sleeve, but it doesn't look good.  I'm betting that Danny will make his moves midseason rather than now.  GRADE: C

Overall grade: B-

It's a mixed bag of ups and downs so far this offseason, but the combination of losing TA and not getting a significant wing or bench big man makes the C's a team that doesn't have a very deep bench.  This is going to result in alot of minutes for the starting five during the season and that could lead to disaster heading into the playoffs. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

addition of POSEY=1 CHAMPIONSHIP 2008=A+......minus POSEY=0 CHAMPIONSHIP 2009=F+....A+ + F+= 4 + 0=4 devided by 2(yrs)= 2=C.......minus POSEY=0 CHAMPIONSHIP 2010=F+.....C  +  F+=2 + 0=2 devided by 2=1=D...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Celtics blog covers the trade down the road aspect.  As of now Quis covers the wing role they wanted of him last year beacuse TA sucked at it in 2009.  Sheed is the back up C until further notice.  How can he be considered anything else until it's resolved?  He hasn't files papers, and the word seems to change depending on the source.

I don't see how they are ANY weaker bench than last year, in fact with Robinson there for a full year the bench would have to be considered stronger.

http://www.celticsblog.com/

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

C -

I'm just not sold on the offseason moves thus far.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Tinkering around the edges. Playing if very safe. Would rather DA had begun the rebuilding process, not resigned PP or RA and gone with youth.

I wanted to bite the bullet rather than treading water, squeezing another year or two out of the Big Three era.

A disappointing D+.

Its neither fish nor fowl.

Pud

25. This post has been removed.