Grading Ainge

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Grading Ainge

Well our one saving grace may be that Ainge drafts pretty good...with the exception of Giddens.

My grades for Ainge

A=5, B=4, C=3, D=2, E=1, F=0

Coach hiring - A

Free Agents - B

Trades - D

Drafting - A

Contract Extensions - B

Salary Cap Managment - B

Overall Score = 24

Avg Grade = B

If we are fair that's probably about right. I'd like to see what some of your grades are for him...this should be funny.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KennCelt53. Show KennCelt53's posts

Re: Grading Ainge

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

Well our one saving grace may be that Ainge drafts pretty good...with the exception of Giddens.

My grades for Ainge

Coach hiring - A

Free Agents - B

Trades - D

Drafting - A

Contract Extensions - B

Salary Cap Managment - B

Overall Score = 24

Avg Grade = B

If we are fair that's probably about right. I'd like to see what some of your grades are for him...this should be funny.

I'll wait until the end of July or later to grade his trades. Much could go down between now and then on the trades front.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias's comment:

My grades for Ainge

Coach hiring - A

Free Agents - B

Trades - D

Drafting - A

Contract Extensions - B

Salary Cap Managment - B

Overall Score = 24

Avg Grade = B

Danny and the Demise of the Celts:

• Traded Perk and didn't get Harden
    • Took poor chances on older bigs like Shaq, JO, and Sheed which didn't pan out
    • Through in Semih on a trade just to create a roster spot
    • Let Krstic and Darko walk
    • Balked at trading RA but told him, so he left
    • Never signed a pure back-up PG
    • Gave KG a no trade clause
    • Didn't take Nets offer of Brooks, Humphries, & 1st rd choice for PP at the deadline
    • Didn't force KG's hand on the possible deadline deal with the Clipps for Jordan, Bledsoe, & 1st rd choice
    • Didn't take 10 day contract fliers on Birdman & KMart
    • Lost Doc to Clipps
    • Lost opportunity of KG going to Clipps for 1sr rd choice when NBA had to step in

Now the roster has many multi-year contracts, we have no coach, no top 10 draft choices, and DA is getting offered 50 cents on the dollar for PP & KG!

GRADE= C-

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RaiderPat. Show RaiderPat's posts

Big FSmile

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

In response to wfdog's comment:

In response to BirdLewsBias's comment:
    [QUOTE]Bunch of stupid idiots.

My grades for Ainge

Coach hiring - A

Free Agents - B

Trades - D

Drafting - A

Contract Extensions - B

Salary Cap Managment - B

Overall Score = 24

Avg Grade = B

Danny and the Demise of the Celts:

• Traded Perk and didn't get Harden
    • Took poor chances on older bigs like Shaq, JO, and Sheed which didn't pan out
    • Through in Semih on a trade just to create a roster spot
    • Let Krstic and Darko walk
    • Balked at trading RA but told him, so he left
    • Never signed a pure back-up PG
    • Gave KG a no trade clause
    • Didn't take Nets offer of Brooks, Humphries, & 1st rd choice for PP at the deadline
    • Didn't force KG's hand on the possible deadline deal with the Clipps for Jordan, Bledsoe, & 1st rd choice
    • Didn't take 10 day contract fliers on Birdman & KMart
    • Lost Doc to Clipps
    • Lost opportunity of KG going to Clipps for 1sr rd choice when NBA had to step in

Now the roster has many multi-year contracts, we have no coach, no top 10 draft choices, and DA is getting offered 50 cents on the dollar for PP & KG!

GRADE= C-

[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

My grades for Ainge

Coach hiring - A

Free Agents - B

Trades - D

Drafting - A

Contract Extensions - B

Salary Cap Managment - B

Overall Score = 24

Avg Grade = B

Stupid post.D for trades.He traded for Garnet and Allen.you call it a failure?
    He brought in Kristic and Darko,Doc was responsable for them leaving

Why you guys hate Danny?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

In response to debrit's comment:

My grades for Ainge

Coach hiring - A

Free Agents - B

Trades - D

Drafting - A

Contract Extensions - B

Salary Cap Managment - B

Overall Score = 24

Avg Grade = B

Why you guys hate Danny?

Not hating Danny debit...just think he was more lucky than good.

One could definitely argue that...

• RA was damaged goods coming off double ankle surgery and the Sonics wanted to go in a new direction which is why they found a buyer in DA after the draft
    • McHale convinced KG to go to Boston
    • House recruited Posey
    • PP, KG, Doc did most of the other recruiting moving forward
    • After the Perk deal, he got gun-shy about making deals and either asked for too much or got too emotional
    • He let Doc (good or bad) take more of a role in personell decisions
    • Some of hits in the late first round and second rounds of the draft were damaged good that fell to him like Sully & AB and he paid the price with their injuries
    • And for all the time DA spends watching college games and having his son canvasing overseas, I still think there are other teams like the Spurs who are much better at drafting and evaluating talent

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

What are those pretty good draft picks?  Carefully look at them and they are mostly so-so.  Maybe Al Jefferson and Tony Allen picks were very good but that was like almost a decade ago.  Rondo is also pretty good but it could go either way depending on whether you hate or love him.  Sullinger is too early to tell if his back will hold up.

Drafting - C

Trades should be A (or A- because nothing is perfect), that is how we got the banner.  That is basically the good legacy of Ainge era so far.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

BLB - that was a refreshingly fair and smart post. 

I tend to agree with those grades. I might go with B-  overall, or maybe C+, only because the D on trades has really weighed this thing down. Also, how good Jeff Green is factors in, because if Green ends up being kind of average next year it will really hurt the rebuilding, and Danny swore he would not have the painful rebuilding of the past again. Plus I would punish him down to a B- due to blatantly lying to fans and media when it's not even necessary to do so. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

My grades for Ainge

Coach hiring - A

Free Agents - B

Trades - D

Drafting - A

Contract Extensions - B

Salary Cap Managment - B

Overall Score = 24

Avg Grade = B

Sorry in my book getting JG and a 1st for an always injured over paid prima donna  stiff that is probably not even going to be in the league 2 years from now gets him an A. Bringing in RA,RR and KG for 2 picks and some meh players A++ in trades. Drafting I give him a C, he did take Melo with that OKC pick. Perk had as much to do with winning in 08 as me and you did BBL.

While we're at it I also think me or would've won in 2010 if we were HC. Sure a really really really bad call won the game for the lakers but, either one of us when l.a. sat Gasol,Kobe and Artest at the end of the 3rd, we would've rested our guys too. I know thats doc crack but hey either way we both would've gotten another ring :)

I think when it's all over sooner than later I will have more people agreeing with me than disagreeing with me.  Seriously,we both could've had a ring.Though I differ well put together post.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

2004: A-

2005 - C-

2006 - B+

2007 - A+

2008 - C

2009 - B-

2010 - D

2011 - F

2012 - C+

2013 - Incomplete

Celtics were hurt by injuries and the refs as much as Danny in their quest for 1-2 more rings... but if things had fallen better when it came to some drafts (DeAndre over Giddens, Marshon over Jujuan), FA moves (McDyess and Hill over Sheed and 'Quis, keeping Tony Allen and Semih) and trades (demanding Harden, forcing Mayo for Ray to happen then PP/KG deals this Feb) we'd have won a 2nd ring and be in much better shape now in my opinion.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

I'm saying it now after all is said and done JG better than Harden.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

This offseason is his make or break. Clearly the breakup should have come February of 2012 with Ray for Mayo, Pierce for what would have been pick 6 in the draft and KG for whoever. It would have been hard to move him, but the Clippers could have offered Jordan, Gomes (before they simply amnestied him) and Randy Foye's expiring contract all adding up to about 19 million.

Had he blown in up in Feb of 2012 we'd have ended up with Harrison Barnes with the Nets pick for Pierce (with Mayo, Rondo and Avery we don't take Lillard with Jordan we don't take Drummond). Our own picks would have been several spots worse with the big 3 all traded. I'd think we'd have taken Tyler Zeller and still been able to take Sully with the Clippers pick at 22.

This years roster?

C - Jordan, Zeller

PF - Sully (till surgery), Gomes, Jujuan

SF - Green, Barnes

SG - Mayo, Avery, E'Twuan

PG - Rondo, some veteran or one of the 3 SG's back him up

That team takes FOREVER to gel, Sully gets hurt, Avery gets hurt, etc. We probably end up with the 8th seed though and pick 15. MAYBE an inspired Toronto team bumps us to pick 11 or 12. But we also have 7-8 million in cap space and additional THREE 2nd rd picks (32, 40 and 45).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"I'm saying it now after all is said and done JG better than Harden."

Dude put down the pipe please. 

You're gonna float your way out of here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"I'm saying it now after all is said and done JG better than Harden."

Dude put down the pipe please. 

You're gonna float your way out of here.

1st I'm thinner and my feet are bigger. 2nd we shall see. I appreciate the effort though. 3rd way too much fire!!! Seriously I stand by my statement. What were we talking about again? :) Actually, you do know thats a homemade BBQ charcoal maker.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

My grades for Ainge

Coach hiring - A

Free Agents - B

Trades - D

Drafting - A

Contract Extensions - B

Salary Cap Managment - B

Overall Score = 24

Avg Grade = B

I agree with most of your grades, but a D in trades?????  Garnett trade, Allen trade, Jeff Green for Perk,  traded with Suns to get Rondo.  If anything, I'd give him a lower grade for free agents - maybe a C and it's not all his fault.  When he signed Wallace, that was universally regarded as a great move by everyone, but who knew Wallace was going to kick back with his feet up and coast into retirement.  Shaq was a good gamble - 1 year, veteran minimum, what did we lose by that.  J.O. was another dog.  Courtney Lee was an awful move.  We're all miffed that we couldn't bring in a good big man in the last couple of years, but there really haven't been any available either.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from docc. Show docc's posts

Good post and grade wfdog.   Trades!   KG and RA were ? 6 or 7 years ago!!   McHale etc I won't go over again.   Rajon-Hondo:  I'll bet you that JG WILL NEVER make an all-star team.   He'll make espn highlight films, but so did Gerald Green or Dee Brown.   Should I look you up each year?   Should I look you up when the Cs look to get rid of him if they can in a couple years?   He didn't make Georgetown a better  team in college.   Didn't make OKC better (Harden was known in OKC.   Did you ever hear about JG while playing for OKC?).   Come on!   I don't know how old you are but, are you really gonna compare JG w/ Sharman, Havlichek, Bird or Maxwell, Reggie Lewis, or PP!   All great sf's of the Cs!   You have more ball playing to watch. ... My grade:  D+.   Many trades or f/a pick-ups were rumour'd to be the help of others ('member when RA tried to get DWest or KG got RWallace).   Others recruited PJ Brown.   When DA does things on his own he gets S Telfair or Scal.   I'll give him credit though, he is teflon man.   But, when KG and PP leave you will see as DA doesn't have the ability to rebuild.   He can't judge talent well enough.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"1st I'm thinner and my feet are bigger. 2nd we shall see"

Listen I hope you are right. Green having a better career than Harden would be amazing for us, as Harden is a max contract player now. 

I give you credit for taking the stand and...making me smile on a long day

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

When grading Ainge, also compare him to Jan Volk, M.L. Carr, Chris Wallace, and some Dave Gavitt.

Ainge is still the GM and president of basketball operations. Grading him now is premature because he will still make trades and draft players for years to come.

Almost forgot about Rick Pitino!

Not only that, but compare him to every other GM in the league.  Who is the mysterious great GM bwho puts Ainge to shame?....and if you say Bird, then you haven't been paying close attention.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

My grades for Ainge

Coach hiring - A

Free Agents - B

Trades - D

Drafting - A

Contract Extensions - B

Salary Cap Managment - B

Overall Score = 24

Avg Grade = B

...............................................................................................................................

Trades grade D?

Ainge traded Jiri Welsch for a championship.

One of the greatest trades in Celtic history.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to wfdog's comment:

In response to debrit's comment:

[QUOTE]

My grades for Ainge

Coach hiring - A

Free Agents - B

Trades - D

Drafting - A

Contract Extensions - B

Salary Cap Managment - B

Overall Score = 24

Avg Grade = B

Why you guys hate Danny?

Not hating Danny debit...just think he was more lucky than good.

One could definitely argue that...

• RA was damaged goods coming off double ankle surgery and the Sonics wanted to go in a new direction which is why they found a buyer in DA after the draft
    • McHale convinced KG to go to Boston
    • House recruited Posey
    • PP, KG, Doc did most of the other recruiting moving forward
    • After the Perk deal, he got gun-shy about making deals and either asked for too much or got too emotional
    • He let Doc (good or bad) take more of a role in personell decisions
    • Some of hits in the late first round and second rounds of the draft were damaged good that fell to him like Sully & AB and he paid the price with their injuries
    • And for all the time DA spends watching college games and having his son canvasing overseas, I still think there are other teams like the Spurs who are much better at drafting and evaluating talent

[/QUOTE]

I think the Spurs have also been very lucky.  They drafted Duncan, Parker, and Ginobli, but after that, who did they really get?  No one.  That core has carried them.  They hit home runs from 1997-1999 and really haven't got anybody from the draft since then - some minor role players like Blair and Splitter, but that's it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Hard to grade Danny when hes got an albatross like DOc Rivers coaching and running the players he brings in...

How can a GM truly be judged when his coach misuses or doesnt use the players effectively or runs them out of Boston?? 

However, Id have to say keeping Doc on, then signing him to that ridiculous 5 yr contract neutralizes the KG/Ray pick up because it cost us additional titles, better players and healthier, fresher old timers....and allowing THibs to get away in favor of the fugazy we got stuck with results in DA's grade having a ceiling of C