Grudging respect

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Grudging respect

Back when Muhammed Ali was still Cassius Clay, he went through a period where he was defending his first championship against a bum-of-the-month.  Howard Cosell would call the fights (insufferably) on TV, and I would tune in hoping for an upset.  The funny thing was, over a half dozen or so of these fights, he (Clay) won me over.  He was clearly a superior boxer, and well earned his sobriquet "The Greatest."

Well, it's not quite the same, but I have always disliked Kobe Bryant as a person, and, mostly, as a basketball player.  Nevertheless, I have to admit, when I saw the shots and the types of shots, he was hoisting up on Thursday, there is something there worthy of respect.  Yes, I don't like the chip he has on his shoulder, and the cheap fouls he gets (that three-fer at the end of Game 7 last year), and just a general air of obnoxiousness he projects -- but if you confidently make weird and off balance shots, and expect to make them the way he does, you have to give credit where credit is due.

Good game (sigh).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Re: Grudging respect

Kobe is a "Michael wannabe" that never will be....he is all about his own ego in a very bad way....did you see at halftime during one of the games where the cameras followed him down the corridor to the locker room? ...as he strolled by he kissed his wife and little girl....have you ever seen that on TV...EVER??? ....this was such a set up....league (Stern) portraying him as the "family man"....and how about this stat...not only did Kobe lay an egg in game 7 last year...it was just pointed out that over the course of the seven game series in last years Finals....in the 4th quarter....his shooting percentage was 28%!!!!! .....Finals MVP? .....give me a break!!! .....this league is set up in a strange way....over the last two days I have seen or read several LA based statements that the Boston game was the Lakers' most important game of the year....wait for it...because the consensus out of LA is that the Lakers cannot beat Boston without home court advantage....now I ask you....what does that say about this league and the way the games are called?? .....oh, did I tell you that I don't like or respect Kobe? ....throw in Colorado.....nope...don't like or respect that dude!! just my opinion...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In Response to Grudging respect:
    [QUOTE]Back when Muhammed Ali was still Cassius Clay, he went through a period where he was defending his first championship against a bum-of-the-month.  Howard Cosell would call the fights (insufferably) on TV, and I would tune in hoping for an upset.  The funny thing was, over a half dozen or so of these fights, he (Clay) won me over.  He was clearly a superior boxer, and well earned his sobriquet "The Greatest." Well, it's not quite the same, but I have always disliked Kobe Bryant as a person, and, mostly, as a basketball player.  Nevertheless, I have to admit, when I saw the shots and the types of shots, he was hoisting up on Thursday, there is something there worthy of respect.  Yes, I don't like the chip he has on his shoulder, and the cheap fouls he gets (that three-fer at the end of Game 7 last year), and just a general air of obnoxiousness he projects -- but if you confidently make weird and off balance shots, and expect to make them the way he does, you have to give credit where credit is due. Good game (sigh).
    Posted by Number6Fan[/QUOTE]
     I don't think they were bums, Ali just made them look like bums!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

yep........Kobe was the best "Robin" in the league (along with Pippen).....but first Shaq and then, in reality at crunch time, Gasol played "Batman"....so Kobe has 5 rings...playing second fiddle in the playoffs to Shaq and Pau....NICE!

oh, and that 28% fg pct in SEVEN 4th Qtrs?......yeah...definatly MVP!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Anyone who doesn't give Kobe great respect for being an absolutely great player is just fooling themselves.  He deserves respect because he is a great scorer, a very very good defender, a leader on his team, has learned how to make others better (didn't have that early in his career), and wins championships (yes, he's had great teammates to do it but so did Russell, Bird, and now Pierce).   

The real issue is as ChiefEddie states - this is a Celtics forum so who cares if Kobe is great.  Give him his due in a Laker forum! We're going to kick his but(t) in the playoffs and win number 18 so let's talk about the Celtics!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Yes, this is a Celtics forum -- but I've been a Celtics fan since 1964, and we can post about more than a reflexive "The Celtics are great"/"The celtics are in trouble"--"They need to trade the whole team"/They need to stand pat"--"Danny/Doc are bums"/"Danny/Doc are geniuses."   Otherwise this becomes a pretty boring so-called discussion site.

cheers --