Gabe Pruitt
    Brian Shaw
    Erick Strickland
    Sebastian Telfair
    Wayne Turner
    David Wesley
    Delonte West
    Shammond Williams

These are all (or most of) the people the Celtics have tried at point guard since DJ retired.  The most tiresome line I heard for the better part of 15 years was: "The Celtics need a point guard."

Given that Wesley and Billips were run out of town by an impetuous Rick Pitino, and that Gary Payton was already old and gray when he was here, which of the above would you prefer to have running the team over Rondo?  

I had thought that after he seemed to prove himself the last few years, I'd never have to hear "We need a point guard" again for another ten years.  But I underestimated the refusal of hard-core forum fans ever to be satisfied (yeah, was I stupid.)

We aren't going to get Derrick Rose or Chris Paul, even if we were to want them.  So can't we enjoy the unique skills of what we have (and admit that he's going to have off stretches -- like Paul and Ray and KG and every other NBA player)?   On the all-time Celtics PG list, I'd rank him no lower than five (after Cousy, KC, DJ, and (Archibald?  Chaney? Take your pick.).

Let's take a deep breath and chill a little.  It is only a game.

cheers --

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhol. Show jhol's posts

Re: Here's a list

Good post, and lots to consider. My vote would go to Dee Brown.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Re: Here's a list

In Response to Here's a list:
    [QUOTE]Kenny Anderson Chucky Atkins John Bagley Marcus Banks Dana Barros Chauncy Billips J.R. Bremer Dee Brown Sam Cassell Calbert Cheaney Bimbo Coles Chris Chorciani Ricky Davis Tony Delk Dan Dickau Sherman Douglas Tyus Edney Joseph Forte Marlon Garnett Rickey Green Michael Hawkins Chris Herren Mike James Greg Minor Doug OIverton Milt Palacio Gary Payton Kevin Pritchard Gabe Pruitt Brian Shaw Erick Strickland Sebastian Telfair Wayne Turner David Wesley Delonte West Shammond Williams These are all (or most of) the people the Celtics have tried at point guard since DJ retired.  The most tiresome line I heard for the better part of 15 years was: "The Celtics need a point guard." Given that Wesley and Billips were run out of town by an impetuous Rick Pitino, and that Gary Payton was already old and gray when he was here, which of the above would you prefer to have running the team over Rondo?   I had thought that after he seemed to prove himself the last few years, I'd never have to hear "We need a point guard" again for another ten years.  But I underestimated the refusal of hard-core forum fans ever to be satisfied (yeah, was I stupid.) We aren't going to get Derrick Rose or Chris Paul, even if we were to want them.  So can't we enjoy the unique skills of what we have (and admit that he's going to have off stretches -- like Paul and Ray and KG and every other NBA player)?   On the all-time Celtics PG list, I'd rank him no lower than five (after Cousy, KC, DJ, and (Archibald?  Chaney? Take your pick.). Let's take a deep breath and chill a little.  It is only a game. cheers --
    Posted by Number6Fan[/QUOTE]

Amazing.... in the last 20 years or so the Bulls have won 6 titles, the Spurs 5, the Lakers 5...... so 16 of the last 20 - only T Parker and Chauncy Billups are what I would call good point guards that have won championships in the last 20 years........  Michael and Scottie carried any number of point guards to titles, ditto for Duncan and Kobe and Shaq.

The Cs won a title with a second year Rondo who was a liability on the offensive end (as he still is).

The Heat won a title with white chocolate.

That is why I have said a million times - there are at least a dozen point guards who if traded out for Rondo, the Cs would be no worse off and in many cases a lot better.

But all in all very good point guard analysis......