Hoops-Hype: Is Jeff Green on the Trade Block?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Hoops-Hype: Is Jeff Green on the Trade Block?

The advice offered us Sunday was stern: Keep an eye on Boston. The Celtics possess two players in different salary ranges that would presumably fit in useful ways next to Dwight Howard: Jeff Green and Brandon Bass. The Celts also have a spare first-round draft pick or two to plug into any trade equation to sweeten the deal for Houston, amid rising suspicions around the league that Morey’s Rockets are going to find a way to come out of the Asik saga with at least one future first. The same Rockets who happen to have a GM (Morey) and coach (Kevin McHale) who have longstanding relationships with Celts president Danny Ainge. So, yes, I’d say you should keep an eye on Boston. ESPN.com

Rumors tagsBoston CelticsHouston RocketsTradeOmer AsikBrandon BassJeff Green  Share on FacebookShare on TwitterSubscribe to HoopsHype rumors

Question here that must be asked loudly: Can Houston, in whichever Asik trade it ultimately chooses, really afford to take back a player possessing substantial long-term money like Green (two seasons at $18.4 million after this one) or Philly's Thaddeus Young (two seasons at $19.4 million after this one) when it knows it's going to have to give an extension bump to Chandler Parsons as soon as Parsons is eligible for the raise his play merits via extension? Which is another way of saying you shouldn't be surprised if Young gets routed to a third team should the Rockets and Sixers officially join forces to construct an Asik deal, as some observers have been expecting all month. ESPN.com

- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.8wGv72Ec.dpuf

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mossad-did-911. Show mossad-did-911's posts

Re: Hoops-Hype: Is Jeff Green on the Trade Block?

if Houston would take Bass and Faverani for Asik then i would do it. Asik will be a huge expiring contract after next season when Rondo, Love, and others become free agents. the 1st round pick may be a deal breaker. I'd pass on Thaddeus Young.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Hoops hype again LOL. 

quit falling for their rope and dope please folks

Danny will take calls on anyone in a Celts uniform except maybe Sully. 

If the price is right, Green gets traded, but Ainge will not unload him for chump change as Ainge desperately wants to prove the fuss over Green was worth it

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

i will be dissapointed if they trade Green. he cant be a team #1 or leader but is a good #2 and a great #3 option on a team. he, rondo and a star with sully makes a very good 4 players

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

It is all a question of what you can get back in return.  If Jeff Green, Bass and Crawford can be converted into Asik and Harrison Barnes, then it is a win for the Celtics.  With the acquisition of Iguodala, Barnes' future has become questionable.  Golden State clearly needs back court depth.  Bass can also be a good fit for them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Danny would trade Anyone, including Sully, Rondo and Green, if it resulted in an improved  team and stronger financial position.   

But since Green is productive and essentially all we got at SF postion, it is highly unlikely that he will be traded.  Also, given Sully's good health, contract, productivity and flexibility at both Center and PF, he would be a foundation for the rebuild.

Rondo, on the other hand, is trade bait.  Danny has tried in the past, Crawford is performing extremely well at PG, we have good on court team chemisry, and IMO we will get rid of Wallace while moiving Rondo for another key piece on the rebuild before Rondo is looking for a max deal.  Asik?  Monroe?  Sanders?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Danny would trade Anyone, including Sully, Rondo and Green, if it resulted in an improved  team and stronger financial position.   

But since Green is productive and essentially all we got at SF postion, it is highly unlikely that he will be traded.  Also, given Sully's good health, contract, productivity and flexibility at both Center and PF, he would be a foundation for the rebuild.

Rondo, on the other hand, is trade bait.  Danny has tried in the past, Crawford is performing extremely well at PG, we have good on court team chemisry, and IMO we will get rid of Wallace while moiving Rondo for another key piece on the rebuild before Rondo is looking for a max deal.  Asik?  Monroe?  Sanders?

[/QUOTE]

Yes, Danny will trade anybody if it improves the team.

What I see is an opportunity.  Danny has change.  Can he hookup with teams that are looking to exchange dollar bills for change?  Yes, there are other formulae and other possibilities as well.  Not conected into the inside flow of inofrmation, they are too far fetched for me.  Asik & Barnes opportunities just seem more obvious.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I still say it's Bass and Marshon Brooks for Asik.

The deal breaker would be the draft picks involved.

I don't know if Ainge will surrender a 1st round pick at this point in time.

Also, I don't think Jeff Green will get traded.

[/QUOTE]

+ 1

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:
    [QUOTE]

if Houston would take Bass and Faverani for Asik then i would do it. Asik will be a huge expiring contract after next season when Rondo, Love, and others become free agents. the 1st round pick may be a deal breaker. I'd pass on Thaddeus Young.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Parsons is a 37 minute and 17 ppg SF. Why are they looking at Green and Young? Just to get more value over a guy like Bass? Casspi is playing well behind Parsons, but I guess they must be looking for a guy who can defend Durant or Leonard while also playing some PF. Green and Young would be steals for them. Ronnie Brewer has been a huge bust.

With Harden/Garcia and Lin/Brooks in the guard rotation we hardly have to sacrifice more than Brooks there (i.e. NOT Crawford). Bass, Faverani and Brooks plus the Clippers '15 pick is more than fair. I'd do everything I could to keep Faverani. That Lithuanian 7 footer they have must be capable of backing up Howard with a Bass/Jones duo at PF. NBA Trade machine gives that deal a +3 wins for Rockets and -9 for us. Excellent;-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Houston will likely hold out until the 11th hour to try and get someone like Millsap. If I were them I would actually prefer Bass and Faverani to Illyasova, maybe even to Young/Green.

Bass has more guts and muscle than those two and can fill the same role he did well next to Howard in Orlando. Make opne jumpers, defend above average, gritty hustle annoying guy. Parsons could clash with either of those other 2 scoring combo forwards.

Faverani gets the Gortat backup C as an enforcer role. It is really a big win-win for both clubs as the Rockets want to contend and get two rotation guys to do exactly what they need and depth at guard in Brooks who can come in and play Harden ball domination for a few games is James gets dinged up.

Clips pick added gravy

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

C's also save just over a million, avoiding the dreaded repeated tax for sure.

Humphries for Asik and Brewer also saves us 1.5 million, but I doubt Rockets go for that unless a better pick than Clippers in '15 is tossed in. Who knows though, they do get an expiring they can swap or Hump can be a valuable guy at PF for a playoff team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Up next to trade asap would be Crawford (while his value is highest), Humphries, Bogans and Lee.

Chicago would make out ok trading Deng and Augustin to us for Wallace, Crawford and Bogans.

Crawford helps with the Rose loss way more than the bust Augustin and can play some SG alongside Hinrich and Teague. The Bulls will be capped out for years and Jimmy Butler was being talked about as supplanting Deng anyhow.

Wallace has the contact they would be able to give Deng (3/30) instead he will get 4/60. So Wallace provides D and veteran leadership behind Butler once the team gets Rose back and is a contender again. Crawford and Wallace mix things up enough to make the Bulls dangerous again as well.

C's clearly just get Deng to dump that all important 3rd year on Wallace's deal. Would be even better to include Lee over Bogans but I won't get too greedy. But even though it is a cash dump it makes C's very interesting as the current Atlantic leaders would essentially be replacing Crawford and Wallace with Rondo and Deng, major upgrades in anyones book.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Up next to trade asap would be Crawford (while his value is highest), Humphries, Bogans and Lee.

Chicago would make out ok trading Deng and Augustin to us for Wallace, Crawford and Bogans.

Crawford helps with the Rose loss way more than the bust Augustin and can play some SG alongside Hinrich and Teague. The Bulls will be capped out for years and Jimmy Butler was being talked about as supplanting Deng anyhow.

Wallace has the contact they would be able to give Deng (3/30) instead he will get 4/60. So Wallace provides D and veteran leadership behind Butler once the team gets Rose back and is a contender again. Crawford and Wallace mix things up enough to make the Bulls dangerous again as well.

C's clearly just get Deng to dump that all important 3rd year on Wallace's deal. Would be even better to include Lee over Bogans but I won't get too greedy. But even though it is a cash dump it makes C's very interesting as the current Atlantic leaders would essentially be replacing Crawford and Wallace with Rondo and Deng, major upgrades in anyones book.

[/QUOTE]

deng is enough for GW, bogans and crawford.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In a similar vein, the Pelicans have over $40MM committed to their guards. They just cleared out Childress to make room for a trade and need to move Gordon. They could also use a veteran SF for some leadership and defense and Wallace & Bogans for Gordon and Morrow saves them $5.3MM next year and $5.5MM the following year. Gordon can play both guard positions and rather than pay Crawford and Bradley a combined $12-14MM/yr next season why not dump Wallace for Gordon and then flip Bradley and Craw. Not sure about Gordon's 3 pt shooting compared to Craw but addition by subtraction (Wallace) wins out.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=my2xw3o

Re Asik ... it's widely reported now that the trade is a complex three team deal so Lame Rame needs to revise his trade.

The C's give up Bass and Hump and at least our 2015 1st for Asik and Turner and the Rockets get Hawes and Bass but Philly gets our pick and at least a 2nd rounder to go along with Hump and filler from the Rockets. Is that enough? Rockets can add a player or pick if Philly isn't getting enough.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=msf6ct4

2013-14' Roster:

Rondo - Crawford - Pressey

Turner - Bradley - Crawford/Brooks

Green - Turner - XXX

Sully - Oly - Green

Asik - Fav - Oly

C's reduce this years cap by about $5MM to $66.5MM ....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

Bass and first in 2015 or after sounds good to me!

Asik

Fav

Sully

Olynyk

Humphries ($12M expiring)

Green

Wallace

Bogans ($5M expiring?...I have read both ways)

Bradley

Lee

Brooks (throw him in if need be)

Rondo

Crawford

Pressey

I think thats a playoff team in the east this year.....we are not going to get a top 3 pick in next years draft anyway , so might as well start the rebuild now if we can.

Humphries and Bogans replaced with our two furst round picks next year.

If we can move Wallace, maybe even  a return of the Captain in 2014.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shamrock1000. Show shamrock1000's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i will be dissapointed if they trade Green. he cant be a team #1 or leader but is a good #2 and a great #3 option on a team. he, rondo and a star with sully makes a very good 4 players

[/QUOTE]

+1 - Agree, Green is never going to be dominant night in night out, but he would be great #2 or #3.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Boston Celtics trade rumors 2013: Do Jeff Green or Brandon Bass interest Houston Rockets in Omer Asik sweepstakes?  

OMER_ASIK.JPG Houston Rockets' Omer Asik, left, of Turkey, and Los Angeles Clippers' DeAndre Jordan fight to get a rebound during the first half of an NBA basketball game on Monday, Nov. 4, 2013, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong) Jay King, MassLive.comBy Jay King, MassLive.com 
    Follow on Twitter 
    on December 16, 2013 at 6:45 AM, updated December 16, 2013 at 6:52 AM
      More Boston Celtics

The Boston Celtics could emerge as a contender in the Omer Asik sweepstakes, ESPN's Marc Stein reportedlate Sunday.

The Houston Rockets have made up their minds to trade Asik and set a self-imposed deadline of Thursday, according to multiple reports. With Dwight Howard in town, Asik has become expendable.

But he averaged 10.1 points and 11.7 rebounds over 30 minutes per game last season, and he serves as an elite rebounder and rim protector who could instantly transform a defense. The Celtics, already in the top 10 defensively despite starting a chubby 6-foot-9 center (sorry Jared Sullinger, you've been very good), could get especially stingy with Asik.

According to Stein, Boston has two players -- Jeff Green and Brandon Bass -- who could interest the Rockets. The Celtics also have nine first-round draft picks over the next five years, and could be willing to part with one or two, according to the report, to land a top-notch defensive center.

Initially, Houston was expected to want a floor-spacing power forward to put in the starting lineup next to Howard. But the Houston Chronicle's Jonathan Feigen reported Sunday that Terrence Jones' emergence as a starting four has shifted the Rockets' thinking. Now, according to Feigen, Houston general manager Daryl Morey "hopes to come away with either a strong defensive wing who can catch-and-shoot, a power forward who can fill in as a backup center, or expiring contracts that come with first-round picks - or some combination of those assets."

The Celtics have youth, roster flexibility, expiring contracts and draft picks. If they want, they should be in the mix for most talented players who hit the market. Acquiring Asik would give the Celtics an elite defensive center, a role that is obviously crucial in building a great team (see: Hibbert, Roy). We'll see if it happens.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

There is definately smoke here - BUT - no fire as of yet! If they trade JG, there has to be another trade in the works - OR - ? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Omer Asik rumors: Celtics discussed as possible trade destination

By Jason Patt  @Bulls_Jay on Dec 16 2013, 9:20a +

Russ Isabella-USA TODAY Sports × DON'T MISS THE NEXT AMAZING SPORTS MOMENT FOLLOW SBNATION.COM ON TWITTER LIKE SBNATION.COM FACEBOOK

The Celtics have some assets in Jeff Green, Brandon Bass and draft picks which could form an intriguing trade package.

TWEET (12) SHARE   SHARE + COMMENTS

The Philadelphia 76ers may be the frontrunners to land Houston Rockets center Omer Asik, but the Boston Celtics could get into the mix, according to ESPN's Marc Stein.

A report surfaced over the weekend saying the Rockets and Sixers have a trade in place already, and that was followed up by another report stating a three-team trade is in the works. The only thing holding up the deal is the fact that Rockets general manager Daryl Morey wants to pursue all possible options before finally pulling the trigger. Enter the Celtics, who have some intriguing assets which could form a nice trade package for Houston.

MoreCelticsBlog on the Asik rumor The Dream Shake on a possible Asik trade

Jeff Green and Brandon Bass are two players who could potentially go to the Rockets and be a nice fit next to Dwight Howard. Bass does have history with Howard, as the two played together for two seasons with the Orlando Magic.

In addition to Green and Bass, the Celtics also have some extra first-round picks available to throw in a deal. The Rockets would like to get at least one first-round pick out of an Asik trade.

Something else to consider is the fact that Morey and Rockets coach Kevin McHale have long-standing relationships with Celtics president Danny Ainge.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

Hmmm, we'd have to want Asik pretty bad to send them a first-round pick AND Jeff Green.  I just don't think Asik is worth this much..even if Hou is willing to eat up Bass and/or any of our other garbage.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to MitchUnderpants' comment:

Hmmm, we'd have to want Asik pretty bad to send them a first-round pick AND Jeff Green.  I just don't think Asik is worth this much..even if Hou is willing to eat up Bass and/or any of our other garbage.

+1 - unless the plan is to dump long term contracts in an effort to set the team up to acquire another star player! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Film Session: Omer Asik Taking a look at the elite defensive skill set of Omer Asik
    Jason Friedman
    Rockets.com

HOUSTON - “We need a 7-footer who can defend, block shots and rebound.”

– Every NBA team, ever.

Size is the scarcest natural resource in the NBA. Not just size, mind you, but quality size, especially as it pertains to the big men who patrol the paint. Guys who can protect the rim and dominate the boards at an elite level don’t just grow on trees, so simple supply and demand dictate that they are both difficult and often costly to acquire. If you get an opportunity to acquire one, you don’t hem and haw – you pounce.

Enter Omer Asik.

The Rockets have had their eyes on the 7-foot big man from Turkey for years now, having fallen in love with his advanced defensive instincts (which have only been enhanced after serving a two-year tutelage under defensive maestro Tom Thibodeau), shot blocking and rebounding. Asik is agile, strong and ridiculously long (7-2 wingspan and 9-4 standing reach); attributes that have helped him become an absolute menace on the defensive end. To be sure, the 26-year-old remains raw offensively, but even if he never were to improve one iota on that end (a silly notion, but still), his immense contributions defensively would still make him an invaluable difference maker going forward.

Don’t be fooled by the per-game stats. Asik received limited playing time in Chicago playing behind the excellent Joakim Noah, restricting Asik to just 14 minutes per game during the 2011-12 season. But project his numbers out over 36 minutes per game, and here’s what they become: 7.6 points, 13 rebounds (including nearly five offensive boards) and 2.5 blocks per game. Don’t buy the projection? Critics didn’t believe the hype either when Houston chased Marcin Gortat several years back and today his contract seems like an absolute bargain.

The fact of the matter is that Asik ranked 6th overall in the league in rebound rate this past season, 5th overall in offensive rebound rate, and excelled in every single defensive metric that exists. He’s a bouncy, instinctive, rangy 7-foot defensive stopper who hasn’t even entered his basketball prime. He became available on the free agent market this summer. And the Rockets pounced.

So what makes him such a great defender? Rockets.com went back into the film room to find out.

Watch this sequence of clips and the thing that immediately stands out is Asik’s complete and utter lack of fear when it comes to venturing outside the paint to defend the NBA’s bread and butter play, the pick-and-roll. Many big men prefer to plant themselves in the paint rather than exposing themselves out on the perimeter, but Asik’s quick feet, sound footwork and disruptive length enable him to “show” on the pick-and-roll and also get back -- even against smaller, faster players -- in time to defend against their drives toward the rim. Watching Asik change direction in time to disrupt Dwyane Wade’s step-back jumper and match James Harden step for step on his foray to the hoop speaks volumes about his defensive aptitude.

Little wonder, then, that Asik ranked in the league’s 84th percentile according to Synergy Sports when serving as the big defender against the pick-and-roll ball handler, conceding a meager .631 points per possession.

This sequence focuses on Asik’s ability to defend the pick-and-roll roll man; an area in which the 7-footer ranks in the league’s 69th percentile according to Synergy. The first clip is a veritable defensive tutorial as Asik ranges over to cut off Brandon Jennings, before racing across the court to return to Drew Gooden as the Bucks’ forward receives a pass from Jennings. A less agile big might find himself tremendously vulnerable in this situation; an effect Gooden tries to accentuate by going up for a pump fake upon receiving the ball. But Asik never panics or loses balance, wisely opting instead to stay grounded and go vertical, putting himself in perfect position to backtrack as Gooden puts the ball on the floor and drives into the painted area.

The second clip is nothing more than a simple contest, but what makes it worthwhile viewing is how it gives yet another example of the “Shooters Bane” that doubles as Asik’s disruptive length and how his immediate follow-up instinct is to turn, track back to the rim and devour the ensuing rebound.

So much of a player’s success defending the low-post hinges upon the work he does before his opponent even receives the ball. During this sequence, Asik’s strength leaps off the screen as he battles against the likes of some of the game’s premier low-post practitioners. The 26-year-old repeatedly roots himself to the ground, preventing low-post beasts like Dwight Howard and DeMarcus Cousins from getting to their favorite spots on the floor. And even when his man does establish solid position as Al Jefferson and Zach Randolph do in clips one and three, Asik’s strong fundamentals and length make shooting over and around him a nightmare.

Asik’s Synergy numbers when defending the low-post: he conceded .718 points per possession during this past season, good enough to put him in the NBA’s 76thpercentile.

By now the basics of what make Asik so skilled and disruptive on the defensive end should be obvious. His size and agility make him a monster to maneuver around (see Brandon Jennings and Pau Gasol in clips two and four, respectively) and even when his opponent gets a step on him (as Chris Bosh and Greg Monroe do in clips one and three), his ridiculous length frequently more than makes up for it since those arms allow him to be a shot-blocking, shot-contesting menace. 

The end result: Asik ranks in the league’s 67th percentile with regard to defending isolations and he resides in the stratosphere against spot-ups, sitting pretty in the 98thpercentile.

Moving Forward

Asik will have no trouble making his presence felt on the defensive end right away in a Rockets uniform. He’s not yet a finished product defensively, but he’s pretty darn close. The only thing he’ll need to watch out for is foul trouble; when playing limited minutes that obviously wasn’t a concern so there’s likely to be a transitional period early on while he searches for the perfect balance of physical, rugged play that allows him to stay on the court as much as necessary.

Obviously Asik has the most room for improvement on the offensive end. The Rockets don’t need him to be a point-scoring dynamo, but he will have to make significant strides as a free throw shooter to ensure he can remain on the floor at the end of close games, lest opponents employ the undesirable hack-an-Asik strategy. Cutting down his turnovers will also be a primary point of emphasis.

All that having been said, the Rockets now have themselves a dynamic defensive presence at the center position. Every team lusts after big men who can dominate at that end of the floor. Houston just picked up one of the best in that area and at just 26-years-old, he should only get better. Now he’s got a chance to prove it. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Need to trade soon, either to get better this year, or better for the draft.  Either way no waiting for the trade deadline or we will get caught in between.