How Danny Failed to Build a Competitive Team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: How Danny Failed to Build a Competitive Team

Ahh Karl is just having problems thinking today. First he didn't understand my post, then he said no one says the Celtics have a shot at a championship when just a few threads down there is a thread by Rally that says trhe Celtics have a shot at a championship.

Thinking is hard.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Danny HAS built a very competitive team. We lost by 2 points to the hottest NBA team in over 15 years. Without 3 OF OUR KEY PLAYERS!!!! STARTERS!!!

How good would the Heat have been without Bosh, Wade and Chalmers? Or Haslem for Chalmers since we lost two frontcourt starters for that game.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The Celtics just aren't very good.

There seems to be no plan for next year either.  

They had a decent run with this group - should have won 2 championships but the referees handed the lakers one.

Ainge is going to have to start ALL over now.  They need a lottery season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

Ok, forget about trading KG & PP which did not materialize and the many posts about trading Rondo for a Big Man, Cousins & then get Evans too.

But, why we did not go after Kenyon Martin, Knicks,  who got 19 points and 11 rebounds  the other night and we continue to being outrebounded most of the time.  Wasn't he available for us to pick up ??? With him, I'd felt more confident going into the playoffs especially if we face the Heat as Kenyon is a banger when LeBon & Wade drive to the basket & would give us maybe 10 rebs per game.

I know, Bad "D", not making foul shots, poor shooting %, turnovers too but if you get 10+ rebs you get 2nd chances and that's what the Lakers will do with Howard & Gasol. Yup, they ain't gonna beat OKC, Spurs, Grizzles etc. and I hope they don't even make the playoffs but I don't know whom we can beat. I am despondent with this team...fortunately, the NCAA tournament is providing some excitement.

We need Rondo & Sully back next year and need draft 2 big men...don't know who we can trade to get an established BIG MAN without trading Rondo. Nobody will want the rest of our garbage except Green/Bradley perhaps. It's a catch 22 !!!

Because Kenyon Martin is a knuclehead who has thrown every coach he has ever played for under the bus.

He's had ONE good game since he joined the Knicks...............geez!

=============================================

Hmmm??? Seems Kenyon had another pretty good game with 18 pts and 7 rebs, 2nd only to Carmelo's 8 in NY beating Raptors last night by 26 pts.  Don't you think that "Birdman' is a knucklehead yet he is instrumental in providing "D" & rebs when the stars, LeBron, Wade, Bosh etc. rest. I think we could have gotten him too although I would have hated seeing that tattoed body in our hallowed Green !!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Ok, forget about trading KG & PP which did not materialize and the many posts about trading Rondo for a Big Man, Cousins & then get Evans too.

But, why we did not go after Kenyon Martin, Knicks,  who got 19 points and 11 rebounds  the other night and we continue to being outrebounded most of the time.  Wasn't he available for us to pick up ??? With him, I'd felt more confident going into the playoffs especially if we face the Heat as Kenyon is a banger when LeBon & Wade drive to the basket & would give us maybe 10 rebs per game.

I know, Bad "D", not making foul shots, poor shooting %, turnovers too but if you get 10+ rebs you get 2nd chances and that's what the Lakers will do with Howard & Gasol. Yup, they ain't gonna beat OKC, Spurs, Grizzles etc. and I hope they don't even make the playoffs but I don't know whom we can beat. I am despondent with this team...fortunately, the NCAA tournament is providing some excitement.

We need Rondo & Sully back next year and need draft 2 big men...don't know who we can trade to get an established BIG MAN without trading Rondo. Nobody will want the rest of our garbage except Green/Bradley perhaps. It's a catch 22 !!!

Because Kenyon Martin is a knuclehead who has thrown every coach he has ever played for under the bus.

He's had ONE good game since he joined the Knicks...............geez!

=============================================

Hmmm??? Seems Kenyon had another pretty good game with 18 pts and 7 rebs, 2nd only to Carmelo's 8 in NY beating Raptors last night by 26 pts.  Don't you think that "Birdman' is a knucklehead yet he is instrumental in providing "D" & rebs when the stars, LeBron, Wade, Bosh etc. rest. I think we could have gotten him too although I would have hated seeing that tattoed body in our hallowed Green !!!

Last night?  So..............when I posted it, it was one, right?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

Do you guys really think DA has done a good job this season or has he just gambled heavily on PP & KG playing well past their prime?

In my opinon...

• I think Doc is coaching on guts right now and playing uptempo as he should've from the start of the season but it can't last long with the level of talent and aging stars he has
    • I think DA actually had a good offseason but unlike his coach he refuses to make adjustments in season
    • I think DA has been gun-shy since he couldn't get Harden and the Perk deal intially blew up in his face with Green
    • I think DA could've dealt PP and thus forced KG to work with the Clipps on a deal to overhaul the team but got sentimental and waited for a 'too good to be true' deal
    • Sure we have lost 3 starters but Sully was a rookie and was bound to hit a wall and Rondo was being blamed for the C's poor play when he went down
    • I think holding on to season ticket holders has a lot to do with FO inactivity

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to wfdog's comment:

Do you guys really think DA has done a good job this season or has he just gambled heavily on PP & KG playing well past their prime?

In my opinon...

• I think Doc is coaching on guts right now and playing uptempo as he should've from the start of the season but it can't last long with the level of talent and aging stars he has
    • I think DA actually had a good offseason but unlike his coach he refuses to make adjustments in season
    • I think DA has been gun-shy since he couldn't get Harden and the Perk deal intially blew up in his face with Green
    • I think DA could've dealt PP and thus forced KG to work with the Clipps on a deal to overhaul the team but got sentimental and waited for a 'too good to be true' deal
    • Sure we have lost 3 starters but Sully was a rookie and was bound to hit a wall and Rondo was being blamed for the C's poor play when he went down
    • I think holding on to season ticket holders has a lot to do with FO inactivity

Good points, but I strongly disagree on the KG to the Clips deal.  Every story I've read in both LA and BOS said that was a DONE deal, but KG nixed it.  And unless PP was dealt to the same team, he would have nixed any deal that came along.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

Good points, but I strongly disagree on the KG to the Clips deal.  Every story I've read in both LA and BOS said that was a DONE deal, but KG nixed it.  And unless PP was dealt to the same team, he would have nixed any deal that came along.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe so, but my take on the KG wanting to stay a Celtic unless PP goes too was that if DA traded PP anywhere, then KG would know that the C's were going into rebuilding mode and he was more likely to want to go to a contender himself.

Unfortunately DA has become all talk and no action. I feel like he's lost perspective as GM and instead developed the same reverence for KG, PP, and even Ray that he had for Bird. I think he really wants PP to retire as a Celtic and he is so grateful for KG re-signing last year that he doesn't want to deal him either. Heck, he even offered Ray more money and a no-trade contract last summer just to appease him and get back on his good side.

It's still a business but unfortunately Danny has gone soft.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

everyone should have known that one of two things was going to happen at the trade deadline: either we move PP and KG for young talent to build with going forward; or we keep them and enjoy their last attempt at a run. under no scenario could we have won a title this year. i would have preferred trading them and getting whatever we could get. if we could have gotten smith for PP and didn't do so, it was a mistake. trading PP would have forced KG's hand in waiving his no-trade clause.

but, whatever, we didn't do it. now we just have to wait for them to retire/come off the books. we can't really rebuild as long as they're here taking up so much cap space.

enjoy the ride. but don't expect much.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I can't believe that KG, refusing to waive his no trade clause, really felt he could win another ring with us. If he really cared about the "C" s, the fans and our future, he'd done it. Can't believe too he wouldn't have wanted to be near his home in Malibu & have another chance for a ring with LAC. And, maybe he could have said, if PP could go with him, he'd done it. PP too would be near his roots & get another chance for a ring. The Clippers are not going to do it this year & might have with KG & PP. And it might have been nice for these 2 HOFs  to retire together & also get some joy out of beating the Lakers for another year if they didn't retire.

The problem for us is PP to Atlanta for Josh Smith would be better but not fair to put PP in Siberia. For just KG, maybe DeAndre Jordan & Bledsoe would have been equitable but with PP there is no one else we would want other than Griffin & Paul.  Maybe Barnes but Billips, Hill & Odom would make our team old again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I think there were two separate deals on the table. 

1.  KG to LAC for Jordan and Bledsoe

2.  PP to ATL for Smith

Naturally, you have to deal with KG first, and I think Chris Paul even called him.  He then said the only way he would waive his no-trade clause would be if he and PP were dealt together.  That's when it fell apart, becuase PP to the Clips was never discussed and doesn't make sense.

There is a reason guys ask for no-trade clauses in their contracts.  And we've seen it in action.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

I think there were two separate deals on the table. 

1.  KG to LAC for Jordan and Bledsoe

2.  PP to ATL for Smith

Naturally, you have to deal with KG first, and I think Chris Paul even called him.  He then said the only way he would waive his no-trade clause would be if he and PP were dealt together.  That's when it fell apart, becuase PP to the Clips was never discussed and doesn't make sense.

There is a reason guys ask for no-trade clauses in their contracts.  And we've seen it in action.

I never heard that but I trust you man. I just thought the PP deal fell apart when ATL asked for a draft pick too and DA got scared, killed it, and then didn't even approach KG about the potential Cipps deal.

Believe it or not, I like Danny a lot but as SF Fan points out, the biggest mistake was DA bending over backwards to appease the Big 3 and giving a 36 and soon to be 37 year old player in KG a no-trade clause in the first place.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Since Danny could not pull off a deal to bring in an impact player, like Josh Smith, who could provide rebounding and scoring, he basically did nothing.  

For a much needed dependable scorer, he brought in an inconsistent and individual baller in Crawford.  AS it turns out, Crawford, like Terry, is not a dependable scorer and is otherwise disruptive to the offense team flow.  Swing and a miss.  We still lack sufficient scoring.  But at least he tried.

Even with a weak offense, the Celtics could have been competitive if Danny had acquired someone...anyone to grab some rebounds.  Very few teams, other than Miami who has a super charged offense, can consistently win when they give up a 10-20 rebound differential per game.  To not strengthen our ability to close that rebound deficiency as the highest priority, must do, even if it required giving up too much, was imo, incompetent.  

I don't believe that this team can even reach the second round of the playoffs no matter who they play.  Our guards can't score consistently (Rondo doesn't solve this problem) and our front court can't rebound... ever.  Hopefully Sully will narrow the rebounding gap next year, but we still need more presense underneath.  

Bottom line - Danny gave up on the Celtics and the fans this year.  One of the biggest Cellics managmnt bunders in recent memory will hurt us for years to come. 

Wow! I have no Idea hou you came to your conclusion. After the hang-over you may want to rethink things.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I can't believe that KG, refusing to waive his no trade clause, really felt he could win another ring with us. If he really cared about the "C" s, the fans and our future, he'd done it. Can't believe too he wouldn't have wanted to be near his home in Malibu & have another chance for a ring with LAC. And, maybe he could have said, if PP could go with him, he'd done it. PP too would be near his roots & get another chance for a ring. The Clippers are not going to do it this year & might have with KG & PP. And it might have been nice for these 2 HOFs  to retire together & also get some joy out of beating the Lakers for another year if they didn't retire.

The problem for us is PP to Atlanta for Josh Smith would be better but not fair to put PP in Siberia. For just KG, maybe DeAndre Jordan & Bledsoe would have been equitable but with PP there is no one else we would want other than Griffin & Paul.  Maybe Barnes but Billips, Hill & Odom would make our team old again.

Agree that KG would have made the Clippers a bettter team.  It would have been a good situtation for KG and for him to be closer to home.  I don't believe that both KG and PP would have both been traded to the Clippers.  It just wouldn't make sense for them. It would have been interesting to see how much better the Clippers might have been this year with KG on their team.  Maybe they would have advanced to the finals.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TPETTEWAY1. Show TPETTEWAY1's posts

In response to debrit's comment:

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Since Danny could not pull off a deal to bring in an impact player, like Josh Smith, who could provide rebounding and scoring, he basically did nothing.  

For a much needed dependable scorer, he brought in an inconsistent and individual baller in Crawford.  AS it turns out, Crawford, like Terry, is not a dependable scorer and is otherwise disruptive to the offense team flow.  Swing and a miss.  We still lack sufficient scoring.  But at least he tried.

Even with a weak offense, the Celtics could have been competitive if Danny had acquired someone...anyone to grab some rebounds.  Very few teams, other than Miami who has a super charged offense, can consistently win when they give up a 10-20 rebound differential per game.  To not strengthen our ability to close that rebound deficiency as the highest priority, must do, even if it required giving up too much, was imo, incompetent.  

I don't believe that this team can even reach the second round of the playoffs no matter who they play.  Our guards can't score consistently (Rondo doesn't solve this problem) and our front court can't rebound... ever.  Hopefully Sully will narrow the rebounding gap next year, but we still need more presense underneath.  

Bottom line - Danny gave up on the Celtics and the fans this year.  One of the biggest Cellics managmnt bunders in recent memory will hurt us for years to come. 

Danny had his hand tied up.Over the salary cap,no players with trade values, lots of injuries,overrated coach.Lets hope things will get better next year.I believe he gave too much power to Doc.

Danny should have never given Garnett a no trade clause . That trade with Clippers bledsoe and jordan for KG would have helped solidify the future.. BLEDSOE IS A FINE GUARD  and JORDAN will only get better