How The Celtics Can Beat The Heat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

How The Celtics Can Beat The Heat

I know a lot of posters are thinking the same thing, but I have to say it.  The C's need to get back on defense as fast as they can and grind it out in the half court with physical but clean play.  Slow the pace down, but let Rondo create his havoc with drives to the basket when the opportunity presents itself.  I love JO for giving the effort at his age and knee situation, but he is a finesse player.  Hopefully, Shaq can get in there along with KG and Big Baby and defensively shut down the area around the basket and get rebounds. The wing and perimeter players need to get in the face of Miami's big 3 and stymie them away from the basket.  If they get taken off the dribble the C's guards and SF need to trust that the Celtic bigs will neutralize them in the middle and under the basket.  In this situation, it all starts with Defense. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wade3. Show Wade3's posts

Re: How The Celtics Can Beat The Heat

In Response to How The Celtics Can Beat The Heat:
    [QUOTE]I know a lot of posters are thinking the same thing, but I have to say it.  The C's need to get back on defense as fast as they can and grind it out in the half court with physical but clean play.  Slow the pace down, but let Rondo create his havoc with drives to the basket when the opportunity presents itself.  I love JO for giving the effort at his age and knee situation, but he is a finesse player.  Hopefully, Shaq can get in there along with KG and Big Baby and defensively shut down the area around the basket and get rebounds. The wing and perimeter players need to get in the face of Miami's big 3 and stymie them away from the basket.  If they get taken off the dribble the C's guards and SF need to trust that the Celtic bigs will neutralize them in the middle and under the basket.  In this situation, it all starts with Defense. 
    Posted by cavaliersfan[/QUOTE]

Easier said than done. We got bosh wade and L_E_B_R_ON you know.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

In Response to Re: How The Celtics Can Beat The Heat:
    [QUOTE]In Response to How The Celtics Can Beat The Heat : Easier said than done. We got bosh wade and L_E_B_R_ON you know.

Posted by Wade3[/QUOTE]

Stop the Bosh thing man..you know the guy is overrated extraterrestrial...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

Cavs,

They will still beat LJ. for you.

Your right out the defense issue. They need to have KG in the paint and let JO guard Bosh. Rondo must double against Wade, because Ray can't do it.

On Offense, Ray needs to make Wade chase him, or make it so that who ever is guarding him looks stupid.

Shaq and KG made a great dynamic duo earlier in the season, and they will again. The Heat have no answer for that combination.  Doc must make the decision to play Shaq with the starting five early. Every time Shaq touches the ball, the Heat must double team him.

They will probably use the point guard, and so Rondo will have to play big.

They will win game three, and as a result, they willl win game four.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]Cavs, They will still beat LJ. for you. Your right out the defense issue. They need to have KG in the paint and let JO guard Bosh. Rondo must double against Wade, because Ray can't do it. On Offense, Ray needs to make Wade chase him, or make it so that who ever is guarding him looks stupid. Shaq and KG made a great dynamic duo earlier in the season, and they will again. The Heat have no answer for that combination.  Doc must make the decision to play Shaq with the starting five early. Every time Shaq touches the ball, the Heat must double team him. They will probably use the point guard, and so Rondo will have to play big. They will win game three, and as a result, they willl win game four.
    Posted by MinnesotaCelticsFan[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the nice post.  I would still root for the Celtics even if Lebron didn't play for Miami.  I know you meant well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

The problem with "laying them out" is that short of a flagrant foul, with all things being equal they are younger, stronger, and bounce back quicker than the C's. If they respond in kind the C's may not get back up or if they do they may be less effective. However, who knows, it did work in 84 but it was a short term solution at best..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

Just throw a zone defense at them every now and then to keep them off balance and force them to shoot from the perimeter ... no layups and no offensive rebounds ... game over!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

[QUOTE]Just throw a zone defense at them every now and then to keep them off balance and force them to shoot from the perimeter ... no layups and no offensive rebounds ... game over!
    Posted by Mployee8[/QUOTE]

Game over? You had the Celtics losing Game 3 the other night. Having a change of heart at 3 o'clock in the morning?

"And Rico will get to keep his house ... great bet ThunderThighs34"

Re: Lakers and Celtics both down 0-2, but there is more hope for Boston!

posted at 5/5/2011 2:21 AM EDT
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=5969efe8ccb239af0914573e7f81edeb&plckUserId=5969efe8ccb239af0914573e7f81edeb">
    First: 7/8/2008
    Last: 5/7/2011
    In Response to Re: Lakers and Celtics both down 0-2, but there is more hope for Boston!:
    In Response to Lakers and Celtics both down 0-2, but there is more hope for Boston! : Agree, a Celtic win in Game 3 would be huge.
    Posted by Fiercest34

And Rico will get to keep his house ... great bet ThunderThighs34

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from great-1957. Show great-1957's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to How The Celtics Can Beat The Heat : Easier said than done. We got bosh wade and L_E_B_R_ON you know.
    Posted by Wade3[/QUOTE]

LBJ is an athlete freak, but he's anti-clutch.  When it's a close game down the stretch, he'll only have bricks to show.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

C's Cool The Heat

Rajon Rondo was a whirling dervish last night for which the Heat had no answer. Darting to the hoop for lay ups, making pin point passes and steals, he was a one man gang.

Ray Allen and Paul Pierce were the beneficiaries of many of those passes and they did not miss their opportunities. KG was a tower of strength under the boards and even Shaq made a cameo, committing some telling fouls in his brief appearance.

Dwayne Wade was his usual self, but he was no match for the inspired men in green. LeBron James seemed distracted and was out of the flow for much of the night. He kept scanning the crowd as if looking for someone. Chris Bosh was missing in action.

It appears the series has turned and the Celtics are back.

Side notes; Delonte West did not show up for the game and his where-abouts is unknown at this time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I posted this separately as a new topic but it seems a good copy & paste here and I agree with many above posts about defense but my comments relate to offense as our big 3 have been outscored at least 2-1 by their big 3.

KG must try to emulate as much as possible Dirk Nowitski !!!

The Bruins have eased the pain a bit of the Celtics 2 losses and the Red Sox mediocrity so far this year.  But, as a Laker hater, living in SF & watching them in person beat the Golden State Warriors frequently and most other west coast teams on TV, I have delighted in watching them lose almost as much as I would have watching the Celtics win.  If we do get to the finals, it'll save us the ignominy, although revenge would be very sweet, of them beating us again. I'm still despondent about game 7 last year & blowing a 13 pt lead as foul shot disparity of 41 to 17 was instrumental in their victory.  Although we've beaten them 9 out of 11 times we've met in the finals, we've won 17 titles and they 15 so they would be 1 behind us. And to read in west coast papers about their 3 peat would be very painful. I'm still convinced that if any team can come back from 0-3, that this Laker team can especially getting Artest back & getting Gasol to play as well as Bynum and Odom have.

Can KG study the films of the 1st 3 games & try as best as mentally & physically possible to emulate Dirk Nowitzki !  Ok, Dirk is younger and stronger so a better rebounder & a very good 3 pt shooter(last good 7 ft shooter was Rasheed). But in the perimeter they are similar so KG must shoot more, 20-25 times per game. He's as accurate as Dirk, I think.  Dirk too was fouled a lot and he is a pretty darn good foul shooter as is KG so continue to shoot and being fouled get an easy 2.  Although in the last game KG tried a fade away jumper and LeBron blocked it after we tied game 80-80, he stopped. LeBron is a great athlete & timed the defense perfectly but he's not a 6-11, 7 footer as Gasol, Bynum & Odom and Dirk makes his fade aways over them frequently. And when Dirk was doubled teamed, he passed out to 3 very good perimeter shooters, Jason Terry, Jason Kidd and Peja Stojakovic.  Naturally, passing the ball out to Pierce and Allen, we need them to make their 3s/2s etc. If the Celtics spread the floor whipping the ball around, Rondo to do so as does Jason Kidd, Miami will lose its coverage.

Am I dreaming ?  Can KG be our Nowitzki ??? I certainly hope so.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

For a win it would be nice to have:
    -At least one charge against a penetration of James or Wade
    -No fear of a block in transition -- /> Take it to the rim!
    -More boards than Miami (with a guy like Anthony as a Center)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

-

I'm loving this thread, CF, good one. 

The total domination in Miami was an anomaly, I think, and we will see better basketball from our Celtics come Saturday night.

I'm tempted to say that if the C's simply get back to playing Celtic Basketball  like they did early in the season .. .  oh, yeah, I almost forgot, that was a different team. 

And therein lies the problem.  We haven't seen much Celtic Basketball  of that quality since the trade.  OK, they looked pretty good in the last two games against NY, but was that an anomaly?

It's pretty obvious that they have played badly against Miami, especially
    Game 2.  They can probably beat the Heat by playing better, harder, and smarter.  Does this call for drastic changes in the Celtic approach?  I think not.

How about, for instance, the Celtics stop missing bunnies, layups, and put-backs from 1 -2 ft. from the hoop.  That would be a nice start.  

How about setting effective screens for Ray and Paul so they can get some decent looks and also make Wade and James play some D for a change.

Can Big Baby resist shooting every time he gets the ball?  Can Davis finish at the hoop, maybe 50% of the time, please, can he put an man on his back and rebound instead of getting out jumped?  Can Kristic get some minutes and play effectively. I think the answer is "yes" to some of those questions, "no" to others.

How about protecting the rock?  Each turnover is like an automatic two points for the Heat.  Some turnovers are inevitable against a good defense, but double-digit turnovers will cost the Celtics the game.  Please, no careless turnovers, like dribbling off your legs or feet, no getting caught mid-air without knowing where to go with the ball, no telegraphing passes like a grade-schooler.

Keep the turnovers in single digits, and the Celtics can win.  Avoid late-game turnovers completely.

Match Miami's intensity with intensity.

How about putting some Celtic D on these Heat?  Suddenly, we're giving up uncontested 3-pointers, 2nd chance points on offensive rebounds, and letting players glide to the hoop for a layup and then fouling them for a 3-point play. How about knocking them on their butts and insuring that the ball does not find the hoop?  The Celtic's defense is predicated on Team Defense, Help Defense -- no one can guard James or Wade one-on-one -- it's all about communicating and the Help Defense.

Individual players must play up to their capability and not try to play hero ball.  Mental lapses leading to poor shots, turnovers, missed rebounds, and 2nd chance points will lose the game for the C's.

The Celtics are over-matched physically and athletically by the Heat, and against a team that is superior in these regards, little margin for error exists.

Play Celtic Basketball, guys, and you'll come away with a victory.

How Can the Celtics Beat the Heat?

http://rajonrondowski.blogspot.com/

Ski on Twitter

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

Mandobello,

It is interesting that you say that KG should emulate Dirk, because almost every year until now, it has been the other way around. Dirk has usually been the guy in KG's shadow. Dirk has always had greater range than KG, and he lives at the free throw line, but KG usually had a higher field goal percentage, greater numbers of rebounds, assists, and they can not be compared on defense.
    Both have been league MVPs but KG's list of accolades dwarfs Dirk's

I do think you are right that he must be more aggressive on offense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Anyone happen to notice the FT disparity?  It's embarassing, but Boston's going to struggle mightily even if the FTs get closer.  They're old and slow.  Miami figured out how to play this team in the last meeting of the regular season, and they've build upon that success big time. 

I mean no harm here, I just don't get what you guys have been seeing so far.  Honestly, most of you guys are incredibly knowledgeable about this game; what do you see here that could possibly lead you to think Boston can win this series?  They do not play defense like they used to.  Couple that with really poor shooting, and they're in a serious hole.  Miami literally ran over Boston in game two. 

I have loved watching this team over the past 4 years; they reignited a spark that had been dormant for more than twenty years.  Absolutely nothing but love for the heart of this team.  But the only good from this round is that LA will also be eliminated.  LA trolls shut their collective yap and that's a thing of beauty in and of itself.  

Boston needs to win 3 in a row in Boston to have a shot.  Even if this goes back to Miami, the Heat will get every call imaginable to ensure their victory. It'll be interesting to see if Boston gets the calls back in this home stand. 

But I'll bite: If Boston wins three in a row, they'll win this series.  They'll need the calls to have this happen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

The Celtics need to go back to the basics. Flat out I am tired of Pierce trying to attack Lebron. ITS NOT GOING TO WORK. In the years we have played Lebron when has Pierce gone off on him? Once and that was the game 7 in 2008? Can't expect that from him. We need Paul to put in a good solid 8-10 points a couple boards and a great defensive effort. Thats it. Stop pushing Jeff Green on Lebron while you cover Mike Miller. 

The offense needs to go through Rondo, KG, and Ray. If they aren't making shots keep hammering away. Bosh is soft and we should be killing him in the low post with KG. Also wheres been my loud mouthing off KG? He has been quieter than Rondo this series. Rondo got scared in game 1 when he wasn't hitting shots against Bibby in the post. He has not driven more than 3 times in one game this series. Ray I think Doc flat out messed up last game as he wanted to give KG more shots.

They overall need to play with a better urgency and hunger. Don't be afraid to play with emotion but control yourself. They played in Miami well at times to give me the confidence that we can possibly pull this thing off. Its going to take some hard work and some good ol vintage KG. 

Were all about to be very grumpy people or excited by the end of tonight. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone happen to notice the FT disparity?  It's embarassing, but Boston's going to struggle mightily even if the FTs get closer.  They're old and slow.  Miami figured out how to play this team in the last meeting of the regular season, and they've build upon that success big time.  I mean no harm here, I just don't get what you guys have been seeing so far.  Honestly, most of you guys are incredibly knowledgeable about this game; what do you see here that could possibly lead you to think Boston can win this series?  They do not play defense like they used to.  Couple that with really poor shooting, and they're in a serious hole.  Miami literally ran over Boston in game two.  I have loved watching this team over the past 4 years; they reignited a spark that had been dormant for more than twenty years.  Absolutely nothing but love for the heart of this team.  But the only good from this round is that LA will also be eliminated.  LA trolls shut their collective yap and that's a thing of beauty in and of itself.   Boston needs to win 3 in a row in Boston to have a shot.  Even if this goes back to Miami, the Heat will get every call imaginable to ensure their victory. It'll be interesting to see if Boston gets the calls back in this home stand.  But I'll bite: If Boston wins three in a row, they'll win this series.  They'll need the calls to have this happen.
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

Great post.   I believe that Miami will always get the more favorable calls since they have two elite players on this team.  It always happens when you have elite players on your team and it isn't going to change anytime soon.  The Celtics have to find someway to overcome the free throw discrepancy.  They just have to play better and with a better defensive effort. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kytroll. Show kytroll's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How The Celtics Can Beat The Heat : Game over? You had the Celtics losing Game 3 the other night. Having a change of heart at 3 o'clock in the morning? "And Rico will get to keep his house ... great bet ThunderThighs34"  www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=5969efe8ccb239af0914573e7f81edeb&plckUserId=5969efe8ccb239af0914573e7f81edeb " /> Mployee8 Posts: 1625 First: 7/8/2008 Last: 5/7/2011 In Response to  Re: Lakers and Celtics both down 0-2, but there is more hope for Boston! : In Response to Lakers and Celtics both down 0-2, but there is more hope for Boston! : Agree, a Celtic win in Game 3 would be huge. Posted by Fiercest34 And Rico will get to keep his house ... great bet ThunderThighs34
    Posted by ConnectingRod[/QUOTE]

It's nice Laker trolls are gone leaving sincere ones like RUWorthy and Flobe McNugget. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that the house troll will ever leave. Rico is mployee8 is ky is pudd has invested too much time to ever go away. People should ignore it as much as they do the racists runrun and dudder. If they aren't fed, they are forced to have dialogue with itself, and then it becomes obvious to more people it is the same person.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from potging. Show potging's posts

just play how they beat them 3x at regular season.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]The Celtics need to go back to the basics. Flat out I am tired of Pierce trying to attack Lebron. ITS NOT GOING TO WORK. In the years we have played Lebron when has Pierce gone off on him? Once and that was the game 7 in 2008? Can't expect that from him. We need Paul to put in a good solid 8-10 points a couple boards and a great defensive effort. Thats it. Stop pushing Jeff Green on Lebron while you cover Mike Miller.  The offense needs to go through Rondo, KG, and Ray. If they aren't making shots keep hammering away. Bosh is soft and we should be killing him in the low post with KG. Also wheres been my loud mouthing off KG? He has been quieter than Rondo this series. Rondo got scared in game 1 when he wasn't hitting shots against Bibby in the post. He has not driven more than 3 times in one game this series. Ray I think Doc flat out messed up last game as he wanted to give KG more shots. They overall need to play with a better urgency and hunger. Don't be afraid to play with emotion but control yourself. They played in Miami well at times to give me the confidence that we can possibly pull this thing off. Its going to take some hard work and some good ol vintage KG.  Were all about to be very grumpy people or excited by the end of tonight. 
    Posted by Pancakespwn[/QUOTE]

Pierce on Lebron - generally, PP is focused on defense with this guy and it takes away from his offense.  But you ask when did he go off on Lebron?  When it counted.  Game 5 of the 2008 playoffs - 25 by our captain. Then game 7 same year - 41 by our captain to close them out.  Then the next year ('09), critical game 5 he had something like 25 points).

Paul will come through when it counts!  C's will win tonight.  Count on it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Whodagaff. Show Whodagaff's posts

The fix is in. No way the NBA  refs will allow the Cetics to win this series.