How's Danny Done?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: How's Danny Done?

I think it's fair to say that giving Danny a good grade and saying that the C's could use help at the 3 are mutually exclusive.  It's not like they are devoid of options at the 3, but to me, the A+ for Danny's offeseason would have been if he could've brought a defensive-minded 3 who can also score a bit.  But given his options and the fact that he got Shaq and West for peanuts, it's not really fair to expect miracles.  Not to mention that Danny could just as easily trade for a missing piece or clear a roster spot for a vet that gets bought out.  This roster is fluid somewhat no matter how set we think it is. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GetYourSoxOn. Show GetYourSoxOn's posts

I think Danny has done a great job.  Going into the offseason, if anyone told me we would add both O'Neals and Delonte while keeping Pierce, Ray and Nate, I would have laughed in his face.

The Celtics biggest weaknesses last season were rebounding and those dang scoring droughts.  We got some nice bigs and some quality shooters and have a nice 2nd unit of Shaq, Davis, Marquis, Delonte and Nate.  Pierce and Ray can now retire from 2nd unit baby-sitting.

I won't miss TA and his trick-or-treat game.  The Marquis signing is a little bit reaction to losing TA and a little bit the fact that he was the best option with what Danny had to work with, sal-cap wise.

Von Wafer may or may not help, but he has hops and may turn out a fair substitute to what TA brought.  Wafer, Harangody, Davis, Avery or Delonte may be OK to back up Marquis (who backs up Pierce) for the regular season (backup by committee?), but in the long run, Danny willget the backup 3 that everyone is dieing for. 

Flame me if you want, but in the playoffs, with the better, bigger threes playing every game, we need more protection for the quick fouls given to Pierce and/or injuries to Pierce or Marquis.  Later in the season, after the New Year, it will also be nice to rest Pierce a little. He absolutely cannot rack up huge amounts of minutes during the regular season and then have what he needs in reserve come playoff time.   Marquis hasn't escaped the injury bug from what I've seen, so he is not the final answer.

With that said, not having the backup 3 on board for the first part of the season doesn't affect Danny's grade for this offseason.  That player that fills that bill wasn't available for what we could pay, once JO'N signed for full MLE.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Hi,
    Re: West vs TA. First, he's listed at 190#, so it's only 23# difference. Second, he's tough as nails and a very good defender. Third, whatever he looses on defense (vs TA) he'll compensate +some on the offense. Fourth, don't forget the difference in $$.

As for DA performance, I give him solid 9.  His primary and, probably secondary, goal was to assemble a team that'd play until mid-June '11 and bring #18. He had a very limited budget and not many players to choose from. Good job, Danny.
    Just my $0.02.

AK

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

Overall I'd say Ainge did a decent job.  He brought the core back and signed capable big men to shore up the front line in Perk's absence.  However, the other signings seem to be live or die acquisitions.  Between Wafer, Quis, and West, it may blow up in Danny's face due to their high risk reputation.  Moreover, I'm worried about the defense off the bench.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

It's a strong statement, but I'm leaning towards calling this the dumbest thing I have ever seen on this forum: 

"he just handed the title to the lakers/heat"

Because we didn't sign Matt Barnes? Wow. Unless you're a family member of Matt's I cannot grasp your infatuation. 

All in all, I'd give Ainge a B plus. A better small forward backup would have been nice, I wasn't crazy about losing Tony Allen but it's not clear who was the reason for that, Tony or the Cs. 

Those who think we are not in good shape because we don't have a backup small forward, I don't get that. I think we'll be ok. Daniels will need to step it up. Yes, I'd prefer to have a better backup option at that position but I think we'll have time to sort through that. 

At any rate we have fielded what looks like a very competetive team, biggest worry is injuries.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In Response to Re: How's Danny Done?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How's Danny Done? :  It's difficult to do, imagining, but think Delonte, think of how great a player we got in Delonte, think of how he will elevate his game and those of the bench guys around him, think Ray, think Paul, think a healthy KG, think Shaq, think, Jermaine, think Baby:  forget about Miami, they got nothing come play-off time. I say, just say no to the nay-sayers.
    Posted by RajonRondowski[/QUOTE]

:-)

I am with you there.  And I am not just visualizing.  I am enjoying it.  I visualize them dominating the league and flaunting it in the face of the experts who did not give the Celts their due, even when they won the championship.

And in Danny I trust.  If he does something more,it will improve the team further.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

Ainge did great except on the draft. Bradley is a good player but will rot on the Celtics bench.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Breaking news:  this just in:  5 % (.05) of so-called Celtic fans think that Danny Ainge did a poor or worse job in the off-season.

Who are these people and what are they thinking?

Intelligent minds want to know.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Breaking news:  this just in:  5 % (.05) of so-called Celtic fans think that Danny Ainge did a poor or worse job in the off-season. Who are these people and what are they thinking? Intelligent minds want to know.
    Posted by RajonRondowski[/QUOTE]

I think that .05% came from KB24RULZ. 

HAHAHA!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Yeah, and maybe one other loser (or maybe not). 

It's a good thing you can only vote once (under each name).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

[QUOTE]danny screwed up we dont have a legit small forward back up the lakers got matt barnes for a small amout of money why couldnt we get him or somone like him danny should be fired he just handed the title to the lakers/heat
    Posted by nba-favours-the-lakers[/QUOTE]

As opposed to last year when they had Finley?  Finley is NOT hard to replace citizens. Outside of the pre-mature signing of Wafer DA did an exceptional job.

Barnes got more money with LA b/c of a S&T the Magic would not have done with the C's. Quis can take on Barnes in any event.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from weakside. Show weakside's posts

I think he gets a B+.  Shaq is going to have a higher FG% than Sheed did.
    And he is still a better rebounder than Sheed was. Shaq will still get the other team in foul trouble, especially against 2nd line centers.  Hopefully Wafer or
    Daniels can be the backup small forward.  I think Harangody will be a good player for them on the 2nd unit.  He showed good shooting range in the summer league. He boxes out on defense and makes the outlet pass.  A nice pick by Danny.  And Bradley is very athletic and will disrupt 2nd unit PGs. I think Ainge had a nice off season.  The decision to make another run with Allen, Pierce and
    Garnett was the right one, I believe. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EastCoastAudio. Show EastCoastAudio's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to How's Danny Done? : A good backup for 3 would have made this a dream off-season.  Other than that, Danny did a remarkable job.  I believe the Celts will need a quality 3 backup for the matchup against the Heat.  But, there is a lot of time left.  By the trade deadline, the main rotation will be set and all the free agents will be movable. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rasheed unretire, Perkins get traded or something big happen if it will make sense for the Celts.
    Posted by prakash[/QUOTE]

you read my mind there! unlike last season, this year when the trade deadline rolls around we're going to have some nice tradeable assets( good players on small contracts). so once we do get the rotations set, and see wat our strengths and weaknesses are, dont be surprised if theres alot of rumors surrounding us. Im gonna be watchin Charlotte personally, with Chandler and Felton gone they could struggle this year after finally makin a playoff berth last year. If that happens maybe either Gerald Wallace or Stephen Jackson will look to get moved and either would fit in nicely here!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

To my recollection, both Wallace and Jackson have big contracts. Remember in a trade, contracts have to come close to matching. I don't know the amount of their contracts, but let's say 12 million per season. If that were the case, the C's would have to have a combined salary of players to approx. equal 12 million dollars for a trade to happen.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

The nay-sayers are now down to .04%.

Ya can't look at much, can ya man.

-

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Danny better start looking for a new job. 

Because .045 percent of voting fans think he's done a lousy job.