I love the Celtics, but Hate the nba.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

Re: I love the Celtics, but Hate the nba.

I used to be Celtics fan and an NBA fan.

Now I am just a Celtics fan.  The Celtics stand for something, the NBA does not. When you pin your hopes on LeBron, you are on to a loser!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

Good post. I truly love this Celtics team, but man..I am hating the NBA more and more. If the C's were lousy, I wouldn't even watch at all. The new technical foul when you complain rule only reinforces the major issues this league has with officiating.

Take tonight's game. Nate Robinson gets called for a weak but probably legit foul, walks away from the ref, looking at Doc at the other end of the court, and just kinda slightly shrugs as if to say, "what did I do?", and then gets whistled for a technical foul.

Later in the game, Lebron gets called for an illegal pick, not really a bad foul according to the rule because his feet were spread wider than his shoulders. Yet , he makes a huge fuss, complains to the ref for at least 10-15 seconds, raises his arms at the officials, while complaining, and no technical.

Kudos to Reggie Miller for immediately noticing that during the broadcast and calling out the NBA for not enforcing the rule equally with everyone. The sad thing thing is that, whether I want to believe it or not, my first thought when Nate got t'd up for that was......"the league would rather see Miami win this game".

That being said, I do love this team, and I will stick with the C's until these guys are through, because they are a joy to watch. I'm proud of what this team has accomplished even if these guys don't win another championship, but I do believe they will. This team is dangerous when it's playing with a chip.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"If someone could convince me that this game is not doctored, id love it"

If by doctored you mean that it's over managed, then I can't help you as I do think it's over managed. If by doctored you mean that outcomes are pre-determined, then that's not the case. Home teams most often get the benefit of the calls, as do superstars, but it's been that way as long as the NBA has been in existence. 

In the NFL tonight, the home team got a couple of very flagrant helpful calls - nothing unique to the NBA. 

Meantime, those who don't like the rules clampdowns - you need to convince your peers not to tell the NBA that they perceive the league as a bunch of thugs, because that is the perception Stern is trying to battle. If that perception wasn't out there, he wouldn't have tightened the rules.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

I was thinking the rule change may have something to do with attempting to get basketball players at all levels to respect the referees.

If people and mainly kids see the NBA and WNBA players treating the referees with respect maybe they will as well. Perhaps there was an issue with referees leaving the game at junior levels because of abuse they were receiving.

If that was the case and it's part of the reasoning behind the changes then it may well be a good thing. It's a two way street though. I think the referees should have a word in to each team in the dressing room before the game telling them what they expect from the players and what the boundaries are.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Lots of good posts here and btown, you said it perfectly.

The Celtics are a joy to watch when healthy and rested (lol) The refs ruin the game which is why all I watch are Celtic games with few exceptions.. The "T" on Nate has to be the joke of the season... On the other hand, I bet they'd let Lebron punch a ref in the mouth and not "T" him up

The fouls calls all last night continue to be ridiculous.  So many soft (if not wrong) calls on Pierce for getting anywhere near Lebrons airspace.. Rays getting crushed on his dunk  and so many more.

The power of the "T" now gives the refs total control... they can change a game now without even having to make obvious bad calls.. just "T" up someone for no reason... why not?? theres no one holding them accountable. The NBA and/or refs  wants to give certain team/certain players an advantage, thats my belief. Maybe doesnt guarantee a win but puts them in a strong position.

Look at the garbage Lebron got away with last night. He just runs full speed and launched himself into a crowd...foul Boston. If he did that all game the HEat win...getting 111 FT's

ITs a shame Stern ruined a great game and takes away from fans. I used to come away from a loss in an important game thinking to myself... if only Havlicek made that FT, if only Larry didnt drop the ball out of bounds.. Now its if only the refs werent so incompetent or displaying favoritism to the point the game is reduced to the WWE...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from markp99. Show markp99's posts

They did call LeBron for travelling!  Finally!!  Last year he got away with that crab-walk thing over and over~!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

I am 68 and remember the game Olympic game on radio when the US played Russia.  Bill Russell had a great great game.  It is a wonderful game that will never be officiated perfectly, BUT the NBA last night in Miami lost the confidence of viewers who understand the game.  It was apparent that the Heat recieved some very ???? calls.  No reason for the game to be called in favor of one team, I did not say no reason the reffs will not miss some calls , they will, but last night, I got so mad and I hate to be mad with my blood pressure and heart condition, but it was unnecessary for that many points being given to the Heat by the reffs.  I hope Danny and Doc fill up the phone lines to the front office today.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: I love the Celtics, but Hate the nba.:
    [QUOTE]I am 68 and remember the game Olympic game on radio when the US played Russia.  Bill Russell had a great great game.  It is a wonderful game that will never be officiated perfectly, BUT the NBA last night in Miami lost the confidence of viewers who understand the game.  It was apparent that the Heat recieved some very ???? calls.  No reason for the game to be called in favor of one team, I did not say no reason the reffs will not miss some calls , they will, but last night, I got so mad and I hate to be mad with my blood pressure and heart condition, but it was unnecessary for that many points being given to the Heat by the reffs.  I hope Danny and Doc fill up the phone lines to the front office today.
    Posted by maryngary[/QUOTE]

If Doc & Danny even wrote a friendly email to Stern about the cheating ref's, Stern would have them fined $250,000 each and suspended 3 weeks without pay.  How dare they question the integrity of the refs or league.

I think many people realize whats going on, its a shame really. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Great posts, the Celtics won a game in spite of the refs in a hostile environment.  This was impressive and troubling because if we play the Lakers or Heat the league seems to have us as the less preferable choice.  And with a game with rules as subjective the NBA this could be a real problem in the playoffs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I love the Celtics, but Hate the nba. : If Doc & Danny even wrote a friendly email to Stern about the cheating ref's, Stern would have them fined $250,000 each and suspended 3 weeks without pay.  How dare they question the integrity of the refs or league. I think many people realize whats going on, its a shame really. 
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

Agree with you and this new rule is just another way for the refs to influence the outcome of the game.    It is definitely getting increasingly more difficult to watch the NBA.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3868031. Show user_3868031's posts

This dam league is getting so dam ridiculously close to the WWE or WWF......I can't stand to watch anymore. Feels eerily close to a soap opera......you can feel what the ending will be. THE REFS ARE KILLING THE GAME!!!!!!    GET IT!!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

Like you all, I am a big fan of the Celts, but I long ago gave up on the NBA. The games are the worst officiated of all the major professional sports, and by a wide margin. The games are not called fairly, or evenly. Stars get different treatment (e.g. last night a T to Nate as he was walking away from refs, LaBron yapped at refs for several minutes with no call). Games are called differently towards the end (a foul is a foul whether it happens at  5 mins of the 1st quarter of with 30 seconds left in the game isn't it?). We have irrefutable proof that one official(Donaghy) was dirty, it has been speculated (with some circumstantial evidence) that others fit in that category. It is unfortunate. Basketball is a great and athletic game. It can be fun to watch, but the officiating in the NBA has taken the shine off of the apple for me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

The NBA is not "fixed"....but Stern makes sure that the "marketing" takes place not only during commercials but on the court as well....it is true that the ref's can keep a game close and even change the results....the home teams get more calls and the superstars are protected....this isn't the same brand of basketball skills or officiating that I remember...example, in game 4 in Boston 1987, in the last seconds a free throw was missed and McHale got shoved from behind under the basket...it should have been a foul...ball back to the Celtics with the lead in the final seconds and the series is tied with game 5 being played in the Garden...but what do you know? ....no "home court call".....Celts lose game and eventually the series....the league is all about marketing and making money....it's a business...7 game series keep the fans watching and increases merchandising revenue....anyone hear the tongue in cheek remark Stern made a while back?  I believe Jim Rome asked him who he would like to see in the finals...of course, Stern said "you know I can't do that".....when pressed on who he thought would make a great finals match up he said: Quote...'Lakers vs, Lakers would be nice"....tongue in cheek?  ....perhaps...but I did not make that up.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]The NBA is not "fixed"....but Stern makes sure that the "marketing" takes place not only during commercials but on the court as well....it is true that the ref's can keep a game close and even change the results....the home teams get more calls and the superstars are protected....this isn't the same brand of basketball skills or officiating that I remember...example, in game 4 in Boston 1987, in the last seconds a free throw was missed and McHale got shoved from behind under the basket...it should have been a foul...ball back to the Celtics with the lead in the final seconds and the series is tied with game 5 being played in the Garden...but what do you know? ....ho "home court call".....Celts lose game and eventually the series....the league is all about marketing and making money....it's a business...7 game series' keep the fans watching and increases merchandising revenue....anyone hear the tongue in cheek remark Stern made a while back?  I believe Jim Rome asked him who he would like to see in the finals...of course, Stern said "you know I can't do that".....when pressed on who he thought would make a great finals match us he said: Quote...'Lakers vs, Lakers would be nice"....tongue in cheek?  ....perhaps...but I did not make that up.....
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Duke, how can you say the NBA is not fixed, then pontificate about how they stretched series to 7 games for marketing purposes?

The leaue is fixed imo, at least by giving certain advantages to certain teams/players for exactly the reason you stated...for marketing purposes. Its all about making $$ and the integrity of the game takes a second place.

The NBA flaunts this favoritism right in the face of its fans and players. Thats why players/coaches are severely fined for speaking out about the refs.. Just shut your mouth and entertain us is the NBA philosophy

Take lasts nights Heat game... Nate gets a "T" which was about as ridiculous as you can imagine.... later, Lebron is making his faces, yelling, even muttered "BS" to the ref for about a 10-15 second stretch...he gets nothing.  Last night I watched the game on TNT but listened to the WEEI broadcast...so I didnt hear Reggie Miller point out the descrepancy but Im glad he did. At least one announcer has some balls.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Clearly I am not alone in my thoughts. We love wat the Celtics stand for, but it is so hard to watch with these either inept or crooked refs. 

Il throw in a nice fact. one of u mentioned how the refs are not held accountable. I saw this OTL: Every game, a ref supervisor watches film and criticizes the calls and sends the report to the league. ONLY ONE of these supervisors have EVER PLAYED IN THE NBA. 

This is a multibillion dollar industry with million dollar quality control issues. 

oh and that laker comment by stern was really really really stupid to say. that is damn near a fireable offense. how can u say that? lakers vs lakers? how stupid can someone be and so arrogant!  pick 2 talented teams. NOPE HIS GREED SHINES THROUGH AND HE PICKS THE MONEY MAKERS. HE COULDNT HELP IT.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

The missed dunk (or should I say hack job) by RA was definately a foul. It's been known for a long time that it's a foul when a guy who has his arm 12 inches over the rim and trying to slam it but is hammered and misses.

Ridiculous calls but I'm getting used to it now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

[QUOTE]The missed dunk (or should I say hack job) by RA was definately a foul. It's been known for a long time that it's a foul when a guy who has his arm 12 inches over the rim and trying to slam it but is hammered and misses. Ridiculous calls but I'm getting used to it now.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

i couldnt believe that call. i actually yelled out loud on that one. it made Ray look so stupid and made me really mad. I dont understand why we are not the favored ones. We play the right way. TEAM BASKETBALL. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Karl, I don't like using the term "fixed"......it makes me think of Professional Wrestling (which I thought was real as a kid).....but everything you said is true....how can the same stuff go on year after year?....the NBA is the most predictable sport I can think of.....funny how the NCAA tourney just keeps getting better and the NBA keeps getting more ludicrous.....the NBA up to the late '80's was great.....but this product is affected by the ref's and Stern's marketing..... 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]Karl, I don't like using the term "fixed"......it makes me think of Professional Wrestling (which I thought was real as a kid).....but everything you said is true....how can the same stuff go on year after year?....the NBA is the most predictable sport I can think of.....funny how the NCAA tourney just keeps getting better and the NBA keeps getting more ludicrous.....the NBA up to the late '80's was great.....but this product is affected by the ref's and Stern's marketing..... 
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Duke, youre right on the money.

How can NCAA ball not have these ref issues to the extreme degree the NBA does? Arent the NBA refs supposed to be the best and highest paid?

I dont even see this kind of stuff in HS ball.

The NBA refs cant be this bad therefore the explanation is something else.  Pro refs cant continuously, relentlessly make the same obvious, stick-out-like-a-sore-thumb, biased calls. Its so obvious that I wonder why some people feel the NBA isnt fixed or tampered with. I guess it takes away from what we'd all like to believe but I cant ignore what I see with my own 2 eyes over and over again

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

In defense of the Association, it is an extremely difficult game to officiate, far more gray area than MLB or the NHL.  It is basically the equivalent to those NFL could "could go either way" pass interference calls, but on 80% of the possessions.  I think it is been made more difficult in the past 15-20 years, as play has gotten far more physical.  If you watch footage from 70's and early-mid 80's there is basically no contact compared to what goes on today.  Those early 90's Knicks teams whose philosophy was "the refs won't call it even if we foul every possession" are largely to thank.  With the replay capability we now have, we are seeing when officials miss calls and that makes us as fans feel like the integrity of the game isn't what it needs to be. 

I totally agree with the point made by previous posters on this thread that the inconsistency from player to player, meaning certain guys just get calls, is the worst part.  I go back to Game 7 last year, where the Celtics entire front line (Sheed, Baby, KG) were all racking up the fouls and Gasol, who played nearly the entire game had 3.  To me that is impossible.  There is no way the contact can be that one-sided.

It doesn't help that we know in the past crooked officials have literally decided the outcomes of play-off games and Stern has never been transparent or accountable for what a disgrace the 2002 LAL/Sacramento series really was.

One call from last night that really stands out for me, was right after Paul picked up his 5th, he kind of let Lebron spin by him, at this point a borderline out of control Lebron initiates contact with a stationary Ray Allen, throws the ball at the rim and of course ends up shooting FT's.  98% of the league does not get that call b/c if they did every possession would end in FT's. 

I don't normally post on the Celtics board but this thread title caught my attention b/c it largely sums up how I feel.  I love this Celtic team, the way they play and their attitude and approach but so often the officiating leaves me feeling bitter and unsatisfied because it just doesn't often feel explainable.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

[QUOTE]They did call LeBron for travelling!  Finally!!  Last year he got away with that crab-walk thing over and over~!
    Posted by markp99[/QUOTE]

I feel like there was so much backlash from last year that the NBA had to adjust their stance slightly. Its a little bit better. Lebron still never fouls anyone on the defensive end. It doesn't matter what he does.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I love the Celtics, but Hate the nba. : I feel like there was so much backlash from last year that the NBA had to adjust their stance slightly. Its a little bit better. Lebron still never fouls anyone on the defensive end. It doesn't matter what he does.
    Posted by existentialparquet[/QUOTE]

Not sure I understand your post. If the NBA adjusted because of backlash last year, where do you see it? Certainly not last nights game vs the Heat.  The only adjustment I see made is the NBA gave MORE POWER to the refs with this BS "T" calls they can now dish out arbitrarily.

They can hit any player at any time with a "T" now, no matter if theyre screaming or curled up in the fetal position sucking their thumb. We saw evidence of that last night with Nate while Lebron can hit the ref with a baseball bat and the ref will apologize to him for moving his head. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

[QUOTE]In defense of the Association, it is an extremely difficult game to officiate, far more gray area than MLB or the NHL.  It is basically the equivalent to those NFL could "could go either way" pass interference calls, but on 80% of the possessions.  I think it is been made more difficult in the past 15-20 years, as play has gotten far more physical.  If you watch footage from 70's and early-mid 80's there is basically no contact compared to what goes on today.  Those early 90's Knicks teams whose philosophy was "the refs won't call it even if we foul every possession" are largely to thank.  With the replay capability we now have, we are seeing when officials miss calls and that makes us as fans feel like the integrity of the game isn't what it needs to be.  I totally agree with the point made by previous posters on this thread that the inconsistency from player to player, meaning certain guys just get calls, is the worst part.  I go back to Game 7 last year, where the Celtics entire front line (Sheed, Baby, KG) were all racking up the fouls and Gasol, who played nearly the entire game had 3.  To me that is impossible.  There is no way the contact can be that one-sided.   It doesn't help that we know in the past crooked officials have literally decided the outcomes of play-off games and Stern has never been transparent or accountable for what a disgrace the 2002 LAL/Sacramento series really was. One call from last night that really stands out for me, was right after Paul picked up his 5th, he kind of let Lebron spin by him, at this point a borderline out of control Lebron initiates contact with a stationary Ray Allen, throws the ball at the rim and of course ends up shooting FT's.  98% of the league does not get that call b/c if they did every possession would end in FT's.  I don't normally post on the Celtics board but this thread title caught my attention b/c it largely sums up how I feel.  I love this Celtic team, the way they play and their attitude and approach but so often the officiating leaves me feeling bitter and unsatisfied because it just doesn't often feel explainable.
    Posted by Calmy[/QUOTE]

that is exactly why i made this thread. i was getting very fed up with these pathetic calls. I couldnt believe wat i was seeing. its like watching someone being robbed in public site. At the same time, this Celtics team is special. I am very attached to this group and the way they fight for each other. You feel like u are cheering for family.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

I love the celtics but I hate the NBA? sounds familiar?

Yes, Folks if you think Che was making this up....just read all your comments  in this thread.
    The NBA now has a product similar to the fraud chinese GuCCI sold in every chinatown.

Fierce and fraud Pud should pay attention & learn from these guys.....Take a not Fierce.
    I like the first one:

This is a multibillion dollar industry with million dollar quality control issues. 

at the same time, this league is not fair and they dont care if u know it or not. The favoritism to the home team/superstars and lopsided calls with the intention of keeping the game close are so discouraging and disturbing

I truly love this Celtics team, but man..I am hating the NBA more and more. If the C's were lousy, I wouldn't even watch at all. The new technical foul when you complain rule only reinforces the major issues this league has with officiating.

The fouls calls all last night continue to be ridiculous. The power of the "T" now gives the refs total control... they can change a game now without even having to make obvious bad calls

BUT the NBA last night in Miami lost the confidence of viewers who understand the game.  It was apparent that the Heat recieved some very ???? calls

If Doc & Danny even wrote a friendly email to Stern about the cheating ref's, Stern would have them fined $250,000 each and suspended 3 weeks without pay.  How dare they question the integrity of the refs or league.

This dam league is getting so dam ridiculously close to the WWE or WWF......I can't stand to watch anymore.

I am a big fan of the Celts, but I long ago gave up on the NBA. The games are the worst officiated of all the major professional sports, and by a wide margin.

Clearly I am not alone in my thoughts. We love wat the Celtics stand for, but it is so hard to watch with these either inept or crooked refs. 

The NBA is not "fixed"....but Stern makes sure that the "marketing" takes place not only during commercials but on the court as well....it is true that the ref's can keep a game close and even change the results....the home teams get more calls and the superstars are protected....this isn't the same brand of basketball skills or officiating that I remember...

There are more at page 2 but there is no need to know...I'ts simply fraud league.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

[QUOTE]In defense of the Association, it is an extremely difficult game to officiate, far more gray area than MLB or the NHL.  It is basically the equivalent to those NFL could "could go either way" pass interference calls, but on 80% of the possessions.  I think it is been made more difficult in the past 15-20 years, as play has gotten far more physical.  If you watch footage from 70's and early-mid 80's there is basically no contact compared to what goes on today.  Those early 90's Knicks teams whose philosophy was "the refs won't call it even if we foul every possession" are largely to thank.  With the replay capability we now have, we are seeing when officials miss calls and that makes us as fans feel like the integrity of the game isn't what it needs to be.  I totally agree with the point made by previous posters on this thread that the inconsistency from player to player, meaning certain guys just get calls, is the worst part.  I go back to Game 7 last year, where the Celtics entire front line (Sheed, Baby, KG) were all racking up the fouls and Gasol, who played nearly the entire game had 3.  To me that is impossible.  There is no way the contact can be that one-sided.   It doesn't help that we know in the past crooked officials have literally decided the outcomes of play-off games and Stern has never been transparent or accountable for what a disgrace the 2002 LAL/Sacramento series really was. One call from last night that really stands out for me, was right after Paul picked up his 5th, he kind of let Lebron spin by him, at this point a borderline out of control Lebron initiates contact with a stationary Ray Allen, throws the ball at the rim and of course ends up shooting FT's.  98% of the league does not get that call b/c if they did every possession would end in FT's.  I don't normally post on the Celtics board but this thread title caught my attention b/c it largely sums up how I feel.  I love this Celtic team, the way they play and their attitude and approach but so often the officiating leaves me feeling bitter and unsatisfied because it just doesn't often feel explainable.
    Posted by Calmy[/QUOTE]

Sorry Calmy, I can't buy it. Baseball, which you say is much easier to officiate, is a great example. The strike zone varies from umpire to umpire, sometimes from day to day from the same ump. However; in the first inning the umpire calls balls and strikes and establishes how the game will be called that day. No, they are not perfect, but they are more consistent than the NBA Refs. In the NBA the same infraction is called or not called consistently on subsequent trips down the court. No doubt the game of basketball is hard to officiate, but the NBA takes it to an even lower level.