Ideas for Our Next Center

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Ideas for Our Next Center

Although too early to tell, Fav looks to be an adequate backup.

Will Danny get our franchise center from the draft or via trade?

Trade:

No team is going to give up their top 10 center.  Period.  That includes Cousins, Kanter, Hibbert, Jordon, Drummand, Lopez, AJ, Noah, and Mark Gasol.

Bad teams with tier-two but young Centers with potential may be the only source:  

Vucevic (Orlando) 13PPG - 12 RPG.    

Pekovic (Minn) 16PPG - 9RPG

Saunders (Bucks) 10PPG and 10 RPG (but a beast on D)

Asik (Houston) 10PPG - 12RPG.  Asik is expendable and valued.

Of this group I like Saunders.  Sort of a Bill Russell type in terms of size, smarts, D and motor. I think he would fit extremely well with the Celtics team style of play.  The Bucks need SF and SG.  Saunders for Green and Bradley (others to make salaries work).  Second preference would be Asik. Houston needs to upgrade at PF, PG and SF.  Rondo or Green and Bass for Asik, Lin and Canaan. 

Draft:

Depending whre we pick... (and assuming Wiggins, Randle, Parker and Gordon are gone...There are 2 franchise changing PGs in Smart (can also move to SG) and Exum (if he enters). I can't see the Celtics passing on either of these two picks if available.  

Of the next group, Harrison PG is projected as a solid starter, but Embiid 7'0" C could be another franchise altering player.  So at pick 7 (assuming Smart and Exum are gone) I take Embiid (change from Harrison).  and look for a SG with our next pick.  Harris, Seldon, Herzonia may be gone, but Sulaimon and Hood could be on the board.

IF we took our PG with the first pick, (we can assume that Rondo is/will be traded) then I would look to trade up and try to get Centers:  McGary, Cauley-Stein, Austin or Johnson.    

Or how about taking Smart with our first pick and trading our second 2014 pick and one of our 2015 first round pick to also select Embiid.!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: Ideas for Our Next Center

Gary Parrish's NBA Draft Prospect Rankings By Gary Parrish
    CBSSports.com College Basketball Insider

(Rankings updated: June 20)

College Basketball Insider Gary Parrish ranks his top 2013 center Draft prospects ahead of the NBA draft.

2014 NBA Draft Prospect Rankings 

1 Joel Emblid Kansas - C 6-11 230

2 Willie Cauley-Stein Kentucky Fr. C 7-0 244

3 Dakari Johnson Kentucky - C 6-10 250

4 Patric Young Florida Jr. PF/C 6-9 249

5 Przemek Karnowski Gonzaga Fr. C 7-1 305

6 Khem Birch UNLV Fr. PF/C 6-9 220

7 Kaleb Tarczewski Arizona Fr. C 7-0 255

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Dakari Johnson COMMITS to KENTUCKY – City of Palms Highlights Dakari Johnson COMMITS to KENTUCKY - City of Palms HighlightsReviewed by on Jan 7Rating:      

img 193157 dakari johnson commits to kentucky city of palms highlights Dakari Johnson COMMITS to KENTUCKY   City of Palms Highlights pictureDakari Johnson is a 6’11 post who has committed to Kentucky. This footage is from the City of Palms Classic where Dakari led his team to the tournament championship while capturing the MVP trophy for himself. Dakari is a member of the 2013 Class. YouTube Channel: www.YouTube.com/CityLeagueHoopsTV Website: www.CityLeagueHoops.net Twitter: @CityLeagueHoops CityLeagueHoops strives to bring the best coverage possible coverage of high school basketball to YouTube. Past videos include Jashaun Agosto, Damon Harge, Jaylin Fleming, Andrew Wiggins, Bol Bol, Thon Maker, Nerlens Noel, Jabari Parker, Harry Giles, Ben Coupet, Allen Iverson, Paul White, Marquis Teague, Enes Kanter, John Wall, Tyler Lewis, Jerron Love, Harrison Twins, Kentucky Recruiting Videos, JP Tokoto, Emmanuel Mudiay, Josh Jackson, Trevell Beck, Willie Jackson, Mickey Mitchell, Julius Randle, and many more.

Related videos:

Read more: http://funny-videos-chart.com/dakari-johnson-commits-to-kentucky-city-of-palms-highlights/#ixzz2hLc9MNsM

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

BCSP. Not sure if Johnson will enter the 2014 draft, but if he does, with some development he could be another quality Center in the NBA.  CBSSports writer Parrish apparently neglected to include Michigan's McGary who if healthy (back), could easily be a lottery pick in the draft and is regarded as one of the top 3 centers by most.  And Austin 7'1" from Baylor is in the top 6 centers and a top 20ish pick for sure.  

One of these guys just might be available if we move up from the projected mid-20s with the NJ pick to 18ish.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Lets bottom out and draft both Jabari and Dakari  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Realistically its either:

A) ship out Rondo and Green, Bass, Lee, Wallace, Humphries and draft a franchise PG and franchise Center in the next two drafts. Get young real fast, draft a culture changing guy and hope to get lucky. Including this year, wait three years to become relevent. Wait five for a championship.

B) Keep Rondo, Green, Bass and trade picks and some key young guys to get already established blue chip players to compete now and for the next few years. 

Essentially you're not trading Rondo and winning now or keeping Rondo/Green and drafting players that can help compete now. Not possible. One or the other. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Geting Jabari and Dakari is a real possibility, but we won't have to try to bottom.  The current roster is not competitive and we have too deficiencies that can't be fixed this year, even with trades.

That said, we will NOT be worse than:  Philly, Orlando and Phoenix.  (Wiggins, Randle and ?)

I believe that Charlotte will be better than most project but still in the next group of bad teams that will include the Celtics, Utah, and Atlanta.  So we could get the 4th pick or the 7th pick in this scenario.  In any case, we should land one of:  Parker, Smart, Exum, Gordon, Embiid and I would be happy with ANY of those picks. [Please Lord, let Exum enter the draft

I believe the Bucks will be worse than projected but Detroit will be better.  Toronto, Washington Portland and Sacto will round out the the next group of bad teams but will not finish worse than the Celtics.

Unless Lopez, KG and PP go down with injuries, Danny will have to trade up to get Dakari who should go somewhere between 14 and 19.    

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trax. Show Trax's posts

No team is going to trade to Boston their potential lottery pick.

One veteran like Green is not going to help Phoenix improve drastically.

Green is not a leader who will help the younger guys.

He needs a kick in the pants himself. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Although too early to tell, Fav looks to be an adequate backup.

Will Danny get our franchise center from the draft or via trade?

Trade:

No team is going to give up their top 10 center.  Period.  That includes Cousins, Kanter, Hibbert, Jordon, Drummand, Lopez, AJ, Noah, and Mark Gasol.

Bad teams with tier-two but young Centers with potential may be the only source:  

Vucevic (Orlando) 13PPG - 12 RPG.    

Pekovic (Minn) 16PPG - 9RPG

Saunders (Bucks) 10PPG and 10 RPG (but a beast on D)

Asik (Houston) 10PPG - 12RPG.  Asik is expendable and valued.

Of this group I like Saunders.  Sort of a Bill Russell type in terms of size, smarts, D and motor. I think he would fit extremely well with the Celtics team style of play.  The Bucks need SF and SG.  Saunders for Green and Bradley (others to make salaries work).  Second preference would be Asik. Houston needs to upgrade at PF, PG and SF.  Rondo or Green and Bass for Asik, Lin and Canaan. 

Draft:

Depending whre we pick... (and assuming Wiggins, Randle, Parker and Gordon are gone...There are 2 franchise changing PGs in Smart (can also move to SG) and Exum (if he enters). I can't see the Celtics passing on either of these two picks if available.  

Of the next group, Harrison PG is projected as a solid starter, but Embiid 7'0" C could be another franchise altering player.  So at pick 7 (assuming Smart and Exum are gone) I take Embiid (change from Harrison).  and look for a SG with our next pick.  Harris, Seldon, Herzonia may be gone, but Sulaimon and Hood could be on the board.

IF we took our PG with the first pick, (we can assume that Rondo is/will be traded) then I would look to trade up and try to get Centers:  McGary, Cauley-Stein, Austin or Johnson.    

Or how about taking Smart with our first pick and trading our second 2014 pick and one of our 2015 first round pick to also select Embiid.!!

I feel the same way about Sanders but I can't see the Bucks giving up on him now. They've been very patient waiting for him to develop and now that he's coming into his own it's doubtful they will consider a trade.

And that leaves Asik. And you know that he's been my main target as the C's next center unless Vucevic or Leonard were somehow to become available.

I think getting a center in the draft is tricky ... right spot at the right time, good scouting and analysis, player mental/physical condition and those mysterious ping pong balls and all.

I'll go with horse trader Danny when it comes to Center and take the best available player in the draft ....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

Good post. This is "key" in my opinion. It's always been my strong belief that games are won and lost in the paint. I believe we lost game 7 to the lakers because they owned the paint. It's so hard to overcome a team with a good defensive big man, unless you're shooting lights out. We couldn't overcome Bynum/Gasol, Lebron couldn't overcome Howard (2009). Just 1 good big man at the center position can be a major, major hurdle, even for elite teams.

I'ld love to pick up Sanders or Asik, for say... Green and Bass/Bradley. I'ld pull that deal in a millisecond. I love your idea of Smart at the 2 guard position too (if we go that route). Isn't he like 6'4? The kid is a stud!. But I don't like him as a point guard. I've seen countless highlights of the kid, and I can't recall a single time were he created shots for his teamates. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen him pass the ball. 1-dimensional from what I've seen. A scorer, and a damn good 1, of the Allen Iverson type. He would kick serious butt as a SG.

I'm not opposed to drafting a center either. Not at all. Will take them a while to develope, but I don't care about that as long as the kid has strong upside of being a starting force in the paint. I have no problem with waiting. Not high on Austin. Will be watching Cauley-Stein and Embiid very closely. Embiid hasn't been playing very long (maybe 5-6 yrs), so he may be a bit more of a project. He can really alter shots though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Embiid will be 18, beginning his Freshman year at Kansas, and has only been playing BBall for 2-3 years. but the intruiging thing about Embiid is that he was a volleyball and soccer player... at 7'0" !!

The guy is a strong quick mobile athlete.  He reportedly has an outside shot and passes well.

May be tough for the Celtics to pass on him with their first pick in 2014.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

When I watched the Jordan Brand Classic, I thought they said he had only been playing 5 or 6 yrs. Maybe I heard them wrong. Only 18? Nice. Looking forward to college season more then the NBA for a change. Just imagining either Cauley-Stein or Embiid playing along side Rondo makes my mouth water. Hope they have good hands. Willie has a bit more muscle on his frame already. Though still long and lean. Will be able to see alot of Jabrari this season too, whom I like. Basically, if we could land Wiggins, Parker, Smart, Embiid, or Cauley-Stein in the 2014 draft, I'll be love'n it (Smart being my least favorite). Of course, I'm saying this now, before the season has even started. So things will, and often do, change.