If Red was Danny.......................

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

If Red was Danny.......................

Just read an article on Danny's willingness (allegedly) to blow up the Big 3!
    We have to believe him if he says he will do it, IMO.  Here is why.
    In the article, Danny says he, Red, Larry and Kevin were all having lunch.  Red, whose biggest "fault" was his immense loyalty to his players, mentioned possible trade scenarios.  Not having been there, we just have to assume the conversation took place.
    Red said Indiana called and offered Chuck Person, Herb Williams and Steve Stipanovich for Larry.
    He then said Dallas called and offered Detlef Schremph and Sam Perkins for Kevin!

Danny wondered what Red was thinking by NOT pulling the trigger.  Then, of course, DANNY was the one who was traded.
    So, if Red was Danny, and we only traded one (NOT Bird) - we could have started the rebuilding process with Detlef and Perkins.............not too bad.  We would not have been as bad as we were for 10 years with this one move.

Bob Ryan once called him "Danny the Dealer".  Will he keep us out of the abyss, or will he be loyal??  If Red was Danny...........

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

Re: If Red was Danny.......................

Danny po'd Bird by nearly taking the free throw title. He had a higher % but was 20 shots short of the minimum going into the last game. Danny starts driving and soon has made something like 18. Then he starts bargaining with Bird. Give me 20 of that 50k (in Bird's contract, but not Danny's) you get for winning the FT championship. The coach yanked Danny to keep Bird happy but Danny was sent packing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

How bout a story about those thugs from Detroit Johnny .... Good stuff!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Heard that story, still don't think it's the only reason.  We had injuries and needed help up front.  Pickney and Kleine were available.  We couldn't trade anyone who was hurt, so Danny had to go.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from srinivasa. Show srinivasa's posts

I think that's part of Ainge's problem; I get the impression he looks at himself as the disciple who transcended his mentor. He seems too confident in his own abilities. that's dangerous for a GM. I'll give him cheers for getting KG (albeit a little help from his friend) and Ray but if you take a look at his other achievements...
    If I'd be a cynic I'd call him a one hit wonder.
    Red had an eye for talent that Ainge sorely lacks. Now he wants to prove everybody wrong with his Bradley project no matter what, even if it hurts the organization. 
    I read this farfetched (I'm being polite) trades here, Ray for Iblocka, PP for Gay, that's just not happening. It's a longshot that a trade will makes us better now or for the future, just let the salaries come of the books.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Danny likes to rewrite history.  First, two VERY big reasons why the C's fell so far is that the great picks that Red made (Len Bias and Reggie Lewis) died.  Red had drafted Bias in 1986 and Reggie Lewis in 1987 (picked at #22, by the way).  Danny has yet to make draft picks that good.   Imagine Bias and Lewis managing the transition from the original Big 3!  

Second, Red was loyal, but during his loyalty periods, the C's never went to the bottom for too long.  Every 5 yrs or so, the C's were challenging for championships with different players.  So, loyalty never hurt Red.  

Third, we went down for a long time - but it wasn't Red.  Red got old and another guy named Pitino took over and we lost MANY years due to his moves (YUCK!).   

So, Danny is full of BS about why the C's were irrelevant so long.  He's forgetting Bias, Lewis, and Pitino as the causes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

If Danny were Red, he would have traded himself, just like Red did.  Ainge was a two-way player - he kept both teams inthe game at the same time by making some of the biggest boneheaded plays imaginable. Bird and McHale didn't think much of him and that's why Larry always saved his highest praise for DJ (besides DJ's actual stellar play).  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Again, he didn't blame Red, he merely stated he would have made the trades Red passed on.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2012/01/ainge_not_afrai.html

You can all read for yourselves!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

The decline of the team over an extende period was in part due to the Cs not trainde Parish or MCHale, but more due to the deaths of Bias and Lewis, the ML Carr sign everyone to a long term deal era and the Pitino era. 

The difference this time is I believe Ainge is prepared to properly bottom out.