Increasing Belief that Ainge will trade Rondo for assets

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Increasing Belief that Ainge will trade Rondo for assets

Just read this:

"All three of the teams ahead of [the Celtics] have at least one young player they can conceivably build around. The Celtics? Rajon Rondo could be that building block. But he turns 28 in February, has posed chemistry issues in the past and there is an increasing belief among NBA circles that GM Danny Ainge will use him, once healthy, to get multiple assets back. So the chances that he's the Celtics' cornerstone moving forward look slim. Unless you think Avery Bradley or Jared Sullinger is a savior, the cupboard is pretty bare."

-Chad Ford ESPN Insider's Tank Rank

If Ainge does move Rondo, I think one possible destination would be Orlando. Everyone expects Orlando to be selling and tanking, but they do have three very interesting pieces that they could easily build around in Afflalo, Oladipo and Vucevic

Instead of taking a chance in the draft on Smart or Exum, perhaps Ainge can offer Orlando a better option... a quick rebuild:

BOS: Nelson, Maxiell, Harkless, Harris, Lamb, 2014 1st

ORL: Rajon Rondo, Jeff Green,

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=n52x2um

Orlando's Rationale:

Yes, its costly, but Orlando can enter the 2014-15 season with a very solid core of Rondo, Afflalo, Green, Baby, and Vucevic. Oladipo can be your 6th man, think defensive James Harden. Another key point is that this core (plus Nicholson) is only costing the Magic 45M next year. They can easily pick up a nice supporting cast in free agency, or put in an offer on a guy like Greg Monroe to fit in next to Vucevic and then use some exceptions to fill out their bench.

By no means this is a contender, but it certainly has potential to be a 3 or 4 seed in the east and do some damage. Vucevic and Oladipo will continue to improve and Rondo, Afflalo and Green are all in their prime and can carry the team to some wins.

Celtic's Rationale:

For the Celtics, the assets are there. Harkless, Harris and Lamb are three very good young players. The Celtics can leverage Maxiell's expiring contract next year and Nelson's salary is not guaranteed, so he can be let go.

The true prize is that second 2014 first round pick, likely top 5, definitely top 10. I would expect there to be some protection on the pick, but hopefully nothing more than top-3 protected, else the Celtics can't do this trade.

At the very best, the Celtics are able to draft both Smart or Exum and Embiid. They start forming a core of guys in their early 20's (much like the Suns), develop a new system around Stevens and continue to get better every year. Celtics also shed salary and can actually put a near-max offer on a guy like Hayward. Maybe they get lucky and Smart is as NBA ready as Lillard was and we can compete with a roster like: Smart, Bradley, Hayward, Harkless, Harris, Sullinger, Olynyk, Embiid, Favarani... that's a lot of young, quick 3 and D guys with one monster-upside defensive anchor.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Re: Increasing Belief that Ainge will trade Rondo for assets

I like the youth aspect, but I wonder about harris and especially Lamb, as shooters off current stats.  I like guys who can shoot,

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like the youth aspect, but I wonder about harris and especially Lamb, as shooters off current stats.  I like guys who can shoot,

[/QUOTE]

To be fair, I may have made up the shooter part about those two guys. To be honest, I really just want Harkless, the sparcely protected pick, expiring contracts and another young piece. I added Harris to make the money work on the trade machine. I would take back Moore instead, considering the Magic would probably like to keep Harris as he is a 10+ ppg player and projected to be pretty good...

Here:

Harris is on a nice three-game stretch right now, averaging 16.3 points and 7.7 boards, while shooting 46.1 percent from the floor. Owners had high expectations for the third-year forward coming into the season, and after battling through early-season injuries, Harris is starting to round into form.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Trade Rondo to move up in the draft to take Embiid.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

How can the Celtics do it even if it is top 3 protected?  Who knows where Orlando will be next year along with who would be there in the draft?  Orlando can keep tanking and give us the 10th pick or worse next year.

Or if it is unprotected, Orlando with Rondo and Green can work their way up to 6-7 picks or worse.  The seperation between 2nd worse record and 7th worse record is only a few games right now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

I'M SHOCKED! LOL.......come on man. Only a matter of time since last Feb. Never a doubt. If he plays at all, it will only be to prove he can. DO IT NOW. Don't risk the worst case scenario.........

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to chris33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Trade Rondo to move up in the draft to take Embiid.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, Chris, this is exactly what this trade would try to accomplish.

However, I think Embiid will be top 3, so the Celtics may whiff either way. At the very worst, lets say the basketball gods frown upon us Bostonians, and we end up with the 6th and 9th picks... it is perfectly reasonable that we would come away with Smart and Hood or Gordon and Exum and it would be in the realm of possibilities that we may be able to get Caudley-Stein with our Atlanta pick...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

What chemistry issues? Where is the concrete evidence on chemistry issues? Not ASSumed by some sports writer or fans......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Ray Allen would probably be the issue cited at the top of the list.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'M SHOCKED! LOL.......come on man. Only a matter of time since last Feb. Never a doubt. If he plays at all, it will only be to prove he can. DO IT NOW. Don't risk the worst case scenario.........

[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I don't really even believe the "report" and I don't really expect it will happen. But to me, I think Orlando is definitely an option. Both sides accomplish what they want. Orlando gets their franchise PG, Celtics get a top pick for Rondo and young assets...

I would say yes to it. To me, Ainge needs to build a winning team next year around Rondo, or start over and build around Sully.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Went to the 97 NbA draft in Gharlotte. Celts got Billups at three and Ron Mercer at 6.  How did that work out?  Also passed on Tracy McGrady.  I also won an above ground swimming pool at that event, but I lived in an apartment at the time. How do you think that worked out?  Anyhow, these things don't often work out like you hope. Tim Duncan went number 1

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Seems to me, they are in the same boat.  They would be swapping places with such deal.  Orlando becomes the Celtics with a couple of better but a little older players to move forward and the Celtics further gutting the rosters and rebuild more from the draft.  If it is good for Orlando, then arguably not making the trade is actually could be good for the Celtics with the Celtics actually also have their pick in the coming draft.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

In response to R9R's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just read this:

"All three of the teams ahead of [the Celtics] have at least one young player they can conceivably build around. The Celtics? Rajon Rondo could be that building block. But he turns 28 in February, has posed chemistry issues in the past and there is an increasing belief among NBA circles that GM Danny Ainge will use him, once healthy, to get multiple assets back. So the chances that he's the Celtics' cornerstone moving forward look slim. Unless you think Avery Bradley or Jared Sullinger is a savior, the cupboard is pretty bare."

-Chad Ford ESPN Insider's Tank Rank

If Ainge does move Rondo, I think one possible destination would be Orlando. Everyone expects Orlando to be selling and tanking, but they do have three very interesting pieces that they could easily build around in Afflalo, Oladipo and Vucevic

Instead of taking a chance in the draft on Smart or Exum, perhaps Ainge can offer Orlando a better option... a quick rebuild:

BOS: Nelson, Maxiell, Harkless, Harris, Lamb, 2014 1st

ORL: Rajon Rondo, Jeff Green,

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=n52x2um

Orlando's Rationale:

Yes, its costly, but Orlando can enter the 2014-15 season with a very solid core of Rondo, Afflalo, Green, Baby, and Vucevic. Oladipo can be your 6th man, think defensive James Harden. Another key point is that this core (plus Nicholson) is only costing the Magic 45M next year. They can easily pick up a nice supporting cast in free agency, or put in an offer on a guy like Greg Monroe to fit in next to Vucevic and then use some exceptions to fill out their bench.

By no means this is a contender, but it certainly has potential to be a 3 or 4 seed in the east and do some damage. Vucevic and Oladipo will continue to improve and Rondo, Afflalo and Green are all in their prime and can carry the team to some wins.

Celtic's Rationale:

For the Celtics, the assets are there. Harkless, Harris and Lamb are three very good young players. The Celtics can leverage Maxiell's expiring contract next year and Nelson's salary is not guaranteed, so he can be let go.

The true prize is that second 2014 first round pick, likely top 5, definitely top 10. I would expect there to be some protection on the pick, but hopefully nothing more than top-3 protected, else the Celtics can't do this trade.

At the very best, the Celtics are able to draft both Smart or Exum and Embiid. They start forming a core of guys in their early 20's (much like the Suns), develop a new system around Stevens and continue to get better every year. Celtics also shed salary and can actually put a near-max offer on a guy like Hayward. Maybe they get lucky and Smart is as NBA ready as Lillard was and we can compete with a roster like: Smart, Bradley, Hayward, Harkless, Harris, Sullinger, Olynyk, Embiid, Favarani... that's a lot of young, quick 3 and D guys with one monster-upside defensive anchor.

[/QUOTE]

IMO you just cannot trade Rondo for "what if's" or "what might be" situations. I do not think he is a guy to build around and really would only be worth keeping if he helps lure a big-time Free Agent or help facilitate a trade for a Carmelo Anthony or Durant. I would trade him {and our highest pick} come draft time to help us get into the Top 1-3 picks where we can possibly find the next Cornerstone player. A quick turnaround is possible but it better work as it would take all of the assests we have obtained to this point. The rebuilding process will be 2-3 years so I think Celt Fans better get used to taking it on the chin for the next couple years. I also think a rebuilding process is best at this point for our VERY YOUNG Head Coach so he can learn the NBA game a bit more as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

[/QUOTE]

IMO you just cannot trade Rondo for "what if's" or "what might be" situations. I do not think he is a guy to build around and really would only be worth keeping if he helps lure a big-time Free Agent or help facilitate a trade for a Carmelo Anthony or Durant. I would trade him {and our highest pick} come draft time to help us get into the Top 1-3 picks where we can possibly find the next Cornerstone player. A quick turnaround is possible but it better work as it would take all of the assests we have obtained to this point. The rebuilding process will be 2-3 years so I think Celt Fans better get used to taking it on the chin for the next couple years. I also think a rebuilding process is best at this point for our VERY YOUNG Head Coach so he can learn the NBA game a bit more as well.

[/QUOTE]

I severly doubt that anyone would trade Embiid or Parker. Trading #1 or #2 picks almost never happen...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to scubber's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Seems to me, they are in the same boat.  They would be swapping places with such deal.  Orlando becomes the Celtics with a couple of better but a little older players to move forward and the Celtics further gutting the rosters and rebuild more from the draft.  If it is good for Orlando, then arguably not making the trade is actually could be good for the Celtics with the Celtics actually also have their pick in the coming draft.

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps... the big difference is that Orlando has a franchise center and 2 guard. Huge difference.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to Mellywitt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

RALLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!!!!

Haven't heard from other media of late that Rondo is gone...I think the popular view that he might even wait it out until the deadline passes is about as liklely as Ford's scenario...More likely that he stays and isn't moved...depends entirely on:

1)What DA can get for him,

and

2)Whether Rondo turns into Rondon't" in terms of his known occassional attitude issues...

[/QUOTE]

Mel - you should copy write some of the stuff you come up with! "Rondon't" classic!! 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to BCSP's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

RALLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!!!!

Haven't heard from other media of late that Rondo is gone...I think the popular view that he might even wait it out until the deadline passes is about as liklely as Ford's scenario...More likely that he stays and isn't moved...depends entirely on:

1)What DA can get for him,

and

2)Whether Rondo turns into Rondon't" in terms of his known occassional attitude issues...

[/QUOTE]

Mel - you should copy write some of the stuff you come up with! "Rondon't" classic!! 

[/QUOTE]

Thank you...thank you very much.... :)

[/QUOTE]

This is not a thread to bash or praise Rondo ... nor open mic night.

Comment about the proposed trade or don't comment at all.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

mel can't stifle himself and takes offense at anyone who should try. fabulous job on the pats game thread sat nite, turkey.  

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to R9R's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to scubber's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps... the big difference is that Orlando has a franchise center and 2 guard. Huge difference.

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't call them franchise players yet.  They are promising players, too premature to project what kind of career they will have.  They have to think that adding Rondo and Green will mostly get them there to contend if they are going to make the trade, but would anyone be comfortable with the that kind of assessment at this point?