Interesting article on Sullinger

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Interesting article on Sullinger

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1709422-boston-celtics-jared-sullinger-well-groomed-to-succeed-kevin-garnett

Some people on this board measure a player only by the plus/minus stat....well, this article has an interesting section concerning Sullinger's plus/minus.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

Re: Interesting article on Sullinger

I didn't know he had two disks removed.

will be interested to see how it affects his play going forward (if at all).

sounds like what we all thought and hoped from Sully, a SOLID piece of the puzzle going forward.

I like the thought of a hard working 12-15Pt, 8-10 reb PF who works hard on defense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In response to kdp59's comment:

sounds like what we all thought and hoped from Sully, a SOLID piece of the puzzle going forward.

I like the thought of a hard working 12-15Pt, 8-10 reb PF who works hard on defense.

I have a friend who had several disks removed & he went from 5' 7" to almost 4' 10". No shiite.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In response to tomobo's comment:

[QUOTE]

I have a friend who had several disks removed & he went from 5' 7" to almost 4' 10". No shiite.

[/QUOTE]

It's true that having discs removed shortens ones height but closer to 1/4" - 3/8" per disc. In my case it was in this range. Then comes the post surgical management. There are two methods...the one with the least morbidity is to collapse the vertibrae into the space formerely occupied by the disc. Friends who have had this method report 1-3 months for initial healing. One friend actually started jogging at three weeks post surgical but that's rather unusual. In my case I lost all "awareness" of the surgical site in  12-18 months but returned to work half days at 10 days post surgical (desk job, uncomfortable but no one to do my particular job)and full schedule by 6 weeks. At 6 weeks I experienced stiffness but no pain.

The alternate management is to fill the space vacated by the disc with a bone graft. IMO this is decidedly less desireable since post op healing etc is prolonged. Those that have been talked into this form of treatment (Larry Bird for one) never made it back and others report loss of "discomfort" in the range of 6mo.-2 years before they could return to work.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to moskk's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's true that having discs removed shortens ones height but closer to 1/4" - 3/8" per disc. In my case it was in this range. Then comes the post surgical management. There are two methods...the one with the least morbidity is to collapse the vertibrae into the space formerely occupied by the disc. Friends who have had this method report 1-3 months for initial healing. One friend actually started jogging at three weeks post surgical but that's rather unusual. In my case I lost all "awareness" of the surgical site in  12-18 months but returned to work half days at 10 days post surgical (desk job, uncomfortable but no one to do my particular job)and full schedule by 6 weeks. At 6 weeks I experienced stiffness but no pain.

The alternate management is to fill the space vacated by the disc with a bone graft. IMO this is decidedly less desireable since post op healing etc is prolonged. Those that have been talked into this form of treatment (Larry Bird for one) never made it back and others report loss of "discomfort" in the range of 6mo.-2 years before they could return to work.

[/QUOTE]

Awesome post. Thanks for the information.

Hopefully Jared doesn't lose much height because it would be extremely valuable to our team if he could log minutes at Center. That would give us a very interesting front-court of Green, Olynyk and Sullinger to space the floor wonderfully for our guards to drive and dish. Very excited!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry about your back.  I've had three "instrumented" lumbar fusion surgeries and it wasn't until the last one that I have had lingering discomfort. The first two: I played golf (18 holes, walking) at twelve weeks post-surgery.  I still, despite having no movement fron S1-L4, was able to fully turn in my swing.  The third surgery has compromised that.  However, the type of surgery is often dependent on the problem, not on a patient's preference. I didn't have disc issues - degenerative joint disease caused spurring that impinged on nerves. So much bone removal required a fusion.  "Simple" disc surgery usually does not warrant a fusion unless the disc is literally and entirely removed, not true of most disc surgeries. A discectomy isn't called for in the majority of cases.  Many times, a disc material that is bulging (herniation) can be done with the disc left in situ. Ah, to be that fortunate.

Some surgeons have been using disc replacement in place of just removal.  Sometimes it's successful and sometimes not.  5'7" to 4'10"? Riiiight.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

I'm nervous for Sully during his recovery. He needs every inch and every bit of explosiveness he can get to maximize his NBA potential. Ideally he needs to weigh closer to 250 than 280 like he did last season. Those plus/minus numbers are pretty eye opening though, I didn't realize they were that good. 

Ultimately - Sully has the skills, the mind, and the mentality to succeed in the NBA. Will he be a starter who averages 15-12, the third big man in the rotation who offers size and hustle along with 8-8, or will injuries derail his career? I just don't know...

One thing I do know...I love me some Sully! Get healthy! 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In response to painter's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry about your back.  I've had three "instrumented" lumbar fusion surgeries and it wasn't until the last one that I have had lingering discomfort. The first two: I played golf (18 holes, walking) at twelve weeks post-surgery.  I still, despite having no movement fron S1-L4, was able to fully turn in my swing.  The third surgery has compromised that.  However, the type of surgery is often dependent on the problem, not on a patient's preference. I didn't have disc issues - degenerative joint disease caused spurring that impinged on nerves. So much bone removal required a fusion.  "Simple" disc surgery usually does not warrant a fusion unless the disc is literally and entirely removed, not true of most disc surgeries. A discectomy isn't called for in the majority of cases.  Many times, a disc material that is bulging (herniation) can be done with the disc left in situ. Ah, to be that fortunate.

Some surgeons have been using disc replacement in place of just removal.  Sometimes it's successful and sometimes not.  5'7" to 4'10"? Riiiight.  

[/QUOTE]

I was being facetious. However, my friend's chronic state of being bent over does render his Ht. @ an effective 5'. My main point was to illuminate that these surgeries do make one generally shorter. Not a particularly positive trend for a front line basketball player...I still like Sully as a player & a person. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to painter's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was being facetious. However, my friend's chronic state of being bent over does render his Ht. @ an effective 5'. My main point was to illuminate that these surgeries do make one generally shorter. Not a particularly positive trend for a front line basketball player...I still like Sully as a player & a person. 

[/QUOTE]

You don't know him as a person, and Sully wont be bent over chronically.  Obviously. 

Thanks for another fantastic post. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Sully and KO make for a good inside/out tandem...