IS DOC THE BELICHICK OF THE NBA?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

IS DOC THE BELICHICK OF THE NBA?

it seems that no matter what happens, he goes on and keeps winning with what he has. keeps putting the guys in the best position to win. if it means PP is point guard like last night, so be it. if it means ray plays more at the 3 so be it. if it means no post-up game or all post-ups, so be it... he adjusts on the fly. he should be in the mix for coach of the year. like bel, he too keeps things in house and away from the public but unlike bel he allows his natural outgoing personality to be expressed and comr through. like bel, i see another ring coming in after this season ends!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Re: IS DOC THE BELICHICK OF THE NBA?

no, he isnt...doc never cheated to win anything :-P

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

No, because I think Belichick has reached almost Auerbachian status.  To dominate as he has with the great parity in the NFL is mind-boggling.  Red is the only other coach we have ever had to be this good for this long.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: IS DOC THE BELICHICK OF THE NBA?:
    [QUOTE]No, because I think Belichick has reached almost Auerbachian status.  To dominate as he has with the great parity in the NFL is mind-boggling.  Red is the only other coach we have ever had to be this good for this long.
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]

I agree with you.   Bill is doing an amazing job this year considering how young the team is.  He is definitely one of the best coaches to ever coach any professional Boston team. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Nope and its simple...Championships.

Doc is doing a great job this year of course, but Bilechick is outclasing every coach in the NFL with a very young team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]no, he isnt...doc never cheated to win anything :-P
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0[/QUOTE]
    thats a low blow. bel NEVER cheated, he just misinterpreted the rules on landscape filming! the players just happened to coincidentally walk on field as filming was being conducted about the lawn/field!

you guys give doc no credit. he is well on his way to being as good as red and bel, just as pierce is soon to outpace the great larry B. times change. post was really about how doc manages his team and the game. makes adjustment. learns from mistakes. a genius with  inbounds and last shot strategies. i never see this team losing because of doc! give the man his due haters!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Doc as a coach.. does anyone posting here really know the answer to this? I doubt it.  We arent privy to his strategies during the game or why he sometimes works his older guys too many minutes and plays his injured guys when we all think they should be on the bench.

I can pick out a bunch of stuff I dont like about Doc coaching and just as much of the good stuff. Bottom line is the players/GM are the ones that really know whats going on.

Thats another reason why Phil shouldnt automatically be considered greatest anything... its the players that usually make the coach..

Take an average team and mold them into a contender... play your style, like a Jerry Sloan has done. DO it with different generations of players over a period of time...  Doc has been a great coach since KG & Ray arrived...coincidence? Before that, how many were calling for his head?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

No he isnt.
    It isnt even close.
    Doc is this generations KC Jones. He knows his players strengths and weaknesses and lets them play to that. That isnt bad, but he isnt even close to BB as far as knowing how to coach.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

Docs big thing is managing personalities...and he is good at it.  He is way more like Francona to be honest.  And that isn't as much of an insult as it might sound.  Ha.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

no, because doc only plays rookies when he absolutely needs to, vs bill know you need solid depth to be successful and need to continuously develop talent to have a solid rotation, and keep a team good long term while not burning out your starters. I think Bill would have won a title with the 08 celts while finding time to develop a young guy or two. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]No, because I think Belichick has reached almost Auerbachian status.  To dominate as he has with the great parity in the NFL is mind-boggling.  Red is the only other coach we have ever had to be this good for this long.
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]

I think its more having a great quarterback.  Take Bradey away = nothing, just like you take away Manning = nothing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Nope and its simple...Championships. Doc is doing a great job this year of course, but Bilechick is outclasing every coach in the NFL with a very young team.
    Posted by btownteamsrking[/QUOTE]

!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Belichick is most like Red in that he coaches Championships and builds the teams, and yes, Brady is to BB as Russ was to Red. But, unlike the opportunist Phil Jackson, BB and Red chose thier star players they didn't go to coach the team with the best players already on it; they built their teams. Doc doesn't really belong in this conversation; very similar to Franconia, KC Jones, nothing wrong with a players coach for strong work ethic veterans.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

anyone else who watched pats and celts win YESRTERDAY?  doing it in the same way... not about comparing doc to red and phil. talking about NOW and how they are BOTH winning!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

You cannot compare football to basketball.  We may never see a franchise like we are seeing with the Patriots ever again in the salary cap era.  But for the sake of comparing them: they both have and still do a great job of managing veteran players to all have one goal and objective, to win. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

no - Doc had to coach the players that he had during the 2007 season and they were terrible.  I don't remember Bill doing his best and being enthusiastic during a terrible season or rebuilding period. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Docs big thing is managing personalities...and he is good at it.  He is way more like Francona to be honest."  Yep! Though Doc does excel at drawing up plays in the half court during timeouts, Francona doesn't have the similar skill or situation. 

"I think its more having a great quarterback.  Take Bradey away = nothing, just like you take away Manning = nothing."

I'll go easy on you since this is a basketball forum but the year Brady was injured we went 11-5 which is a good enough record to go to the playoffs every year in the NFL since I think 83 except for one other year. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

I think the case can be made.  I think Doc sandbags like Belichick.  I also think Danny and Doc have a good system like the Patriots organization.  I think they try to emulate the Patriots.  I think this is especially noticeable when it comes to discussion, or lack thereof, of player's potentials and probabilities given their injury statuses.  In terms of coaching ability, I think Doc is great, with caveats.  The comparison to KC is apt.  Comparing the overall coahing abilities of Doc to Bel is sorta apples and oranges.  If I had to find coaching analogs to Belichick in the NBA I would go with Pop, Nelly and Sloan before Doc.

The injury reportage bothers me a lot.  I like to be more well informed so I can judge whether the player is limited because of injury or just blowing chunks.  I was questioning KGs heart last year because I never grasped the scope of his knee problem.  In fact, I still don't think that injury has ever been adequately explained.  I had another episode of that happen this year already altho I forget what game it was.  They were sandbagging...I forget the game...I don't know why they were doing it.  That's very Belichickian.  Remember the interception in the red zone the Pats turned against the Jets a few weeks ago?  I know for a fact that the Pats practice that over and over and just don't unveil it in game situations until Bel wants to stick a dagger right up the other coach's rectum.  Doc does similar stuff.  He shows vanilla sets.  As we head into the strech and certainly into the playoffs the Celtics skill will just be really evident.  As good as it has been so far, this team is capable of a LOT more.  And, RONDO's value will be crucially undeniable despite the debatable limitations that get bemoaned on BDC ad-nauseum.  Here is a another comparison to consider - this is gonna irritate some people: how about Rondo compared to Brady in terms of running a team?  (Brady doesn't even play on the D squad and Rondo is All NBA D; so right there we have double duty for Rondo compared to Tom Terriffic.)  Rondo is very intelligent and versatile and knows many many more sets and plays than what we have seen so far this season.  (Just like Brady)  Same thing through the roster; this is a deep, experienced, intelligent veteran team.  Like a Belichick team, these guys know multiple roles.  Look at Pierce at point forward.  Or check Glen Davis at center or forward and his excellent defense.  Ray is amazing to me in terms of his aresenal and the defense I really never knew he could play.  Geesh, Garnett is a master of the game.  He could probably replace Lawrence Frank and go player-coach for defense.  And as others have mentioned in the threads about Perk and Jermaine returning (and Delonte), the versatility of this team should have Phil Jackson reaching for some Xanax

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE] Here is a another comparison to consider - this is gonna irritate some people: how about Rondo compared to Brady in terms of running a team?  (Brady doesn't even play on the D squad and Rondo is All NBA D; so right there we have double duty for Rondo compared to Tom Terriffic.)  Rondo is very intelligent and versatile and knows many many more sets and plays than what we have seen so far this season.  (Just like Brady)  Same thing through the roster; this is a deep, experienced, intelligent veteran team.  Like a Belichick team, these guys know multiple roles.  Look at Pierce at point forward.  
    Posted by shines01[/QUOTE]great post but i think u need some xanax when u start comparing rondo to brady. let's just stick to offense for a sec, skip defense for brady doesnt play there. first of brady is a legit star, the guy you would want taking the last shot, making the big play, want the ball in his hands. thats clearly not ronDONT! he will be running away from the ball, just useful as a flash for a vulture rebound or to make a steal if other team gets the rebound. a better comparison is brady to PIERCE! PP is the most underrated and disrespected mega-star in the HISTORY of professional sports! rondo is more like ben jarvus green-elliis!  great runner and cog that sits out the fourth quarter clutch situations... nate robinson or delonte will be in there come playoff time!