It is still too early to tell how the Celtics will finish.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

It is still too early to tell how the Celtics will finish.

Doc has been playing to rest the starters in the standard regular season way because this in not the play-offs.

In the play-offs:
    1. The starters play more minutes.
    2. Shaq and JO will be the top centers.
    3. Half court play dominates
    4. Rondo, like last year, will refocus his efforts on defense and aggressive offense. The only thing that is lacking from his current game is effort. With the play-offs, he will be refocused on team play, instead of assists, and what ever else has been bothering him.
    5. In general, referees allow the players to play a more physical brand of basketball with fewer fouls.

We will not see what this current team is made of until the play-offs. Until all of the starters are in place, and focus has returned, we will not really know if the Perkins trade was the right thing to do.

I admit that things don't look good so far, but play-off differences, focus, and the return of Shaq could make the necessary difference.

Time will tell!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EAB2010. Show EAB2010's posts

Re: It is still too early to tell how the Celtics will finish.

No it's not.  It's O V E R and it is O V E R because of Danny Ainge and the rest of the idiot brain trust.  The Perkins trade has clearly wrecked this team.  It takes a special kind of talent to make a trade that makes EVERY team in the NBA better except his (the Celts).  No one fears them anymore.  Who's going to be the tough guy in the middle in the playoffs????  Shaq (hard to be a tough guy from the locker room)???  Jermaine O"Neal (I don't think so), Krystic (a nice piece but he's not putting the fear of god into anyone).  If I'm Doc Rivers, as soon as this season is over, I'm gone.  Danny took a team that was arguably built to go the distance to one that will be lucky to get out of the first round of the playoffs.  He got lucky once (Garnett and Allen) and got a ring.  This team is toast and it is directly due to Ainge's mis-management

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

I didn't like the Perkins trade either, but it was predicated on the availability of Shaq and JO playing with the Celtics. Since both have not been available since the trade, and the Shaq Celtics played strong defense early in the year, It is reasonable to assume that the Celtics will improve when Shaq returns.

Add to that the fact that the Play-offs are the real season, and the regular season is the practice season, and the Celtics have shown that the regular season does not really matter, and several things change.

Like last season, the Celtics are focusing on the play-offs. Like last season Doc has played the starting five in a normal fashion during games that fans considered more important. Like last season, The starting five showed that they could come together when it really counted.

In the play-offs, the starting five will play major minutes because they no longer need to rest, and there are no back to backs.

In general referees call games more loosely allowing a more physical brand of basketball with fewer fouls. This allows players, that can play defense, more time to play defense at a high level without getting into foul trouble. The Celtics are built for the play-offs, as they have shown repeatedly since 2008.

Perk will be missed on defense, however, earlier this year, the Celtics did play great defense without him. With renewed focus and the return of Shaq, the Celtics will compete at a high level.

Will it be high enough to win banner #18? We will have to wait and see.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

Some times it hard to see the forest for the trees. The hardship that the team faced most of the year, while continuing to stand tall, should prevent most solid fans from jumping ship just yet. Add to that the Celtic turn-around in last years play-offs, and there is no reason to write them off until they lose game four in some series.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

After what happened last year, rumors of the Celtic's demise may be premature.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

I just hate that celtics mentality during the season. When playing good teams they are prepared well. It often leads to the amazing execution on both ends as we know they are capable of. When battling not elite teams they just don't care.... When clinching playoffs they don't even care a bit of what place they end up. To me it's like they have the mentality as last year.... everyone thought we were done but we proven in the playoffs that you don't need homecourt(at least until finals). So they just feel okay when clinching nothing more nothing less. This is just so frustrating as a fan. You want to see the best of the  C's every single night. But sometimes/mostly they just don't care.  The difference with last year is that you somewhat had confidence in this team in the playoffs just because of the experience that the teams and it's starting five had. Now the broke up the core and added pieces which look great on paper but aren't working a bit as we hoped.

I have a bad feeling coming into playoffs. However I'll cheer for them and I'll judge their play on the first game playoffs. They might prove everyone wrong....
    However I know now that I don't have to count on the C's during the season and just watch them in the playoffs to see their A-game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EAB2010. Show EAB2010's posts

In Response to Re: It is still too early to tell how the Celtics will finish.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: It is still too early to tell how the Celtics will finish. : Would you like some cheese with your whine? Grow some stones, man. We haven't even played a game yet.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

Ouch....that hurt.  Taking some time from what I can only imagine is a busy busy life calling sports radio shows????

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

Yah, Mitch it is frustrating.

I have yelled at the TV far too much this season.