Jason Collins reveals he is gay

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Re: Jason Collins reveals he is gay

In response to TomOBrien's comment:

I can agree that this is a courageous move b/c of all the neanderthals out there, but in the end, who really cares what he does in his bedroom? It is really of no consequence. Just another guy!

it's a cowardly move because he is a horrible player who is washed up- just finished another season of 1 point a game, .9 rebounds a game, 65 points scored, is old, moves like a statue on defense and is in the same press release declaring that he is 1) gay- who cares and 2) still looking for work.  these are separate issues.

it does not take a lot of looking at how this was rolled out to see that collins is looking for a mercy booking for next year- pulling a publicity stunt.  i could respect john amaechi a lot more for how he conducted himself.  he did not do it as a publicity stunt to get an undeserved contract, although he did write a book about it.

and by the way, i'm enough of a neanderthal that i think if what amaechi said about how sloan treated him is true that sloan was incredibly wrong.  competence, not sexuality should dictate your professional relationship with another human being.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

In response to R9R's comment:

umm, being gay is a choice.  there is no proof that there is a genetic link.  that ORIGINAL science from the early 1990s that "showed" gay was "genetic" was roundly debunked as trash at the time.  because the studies were FAR from pure- look into it yourself.  don't be an ignoramus your whole life. 

the "science" at hand was 1) NOT re-creatable for peer review and 2) showed INCREDIBLE bias in sampling methods, to the point where it was quite obvious that the new leftist science method of "obtain your desired result in your mind and then build your data around it" was in full force.

so what do lefties do when they have junk science?  they let it sit like dog doo on the lawn, only for YEARS and then suddenly, 6 to 8 years later they cite THAT SAME OLD GARBAGE "science" as "authoritative evidence" of whatever socio-political cause they want to advance.

oh, and i know the new whine is "but it's something about EPIgenetics!" (and we just have no idea what that may be yet but that's the company line we're going to put out while we are grasping for straws)

look no further than "gay science guru" so-called "Dr." Dean Hamer, who in 1993 rolled out JUNK SCIENCE SUPREME to try to get "two men having sex" favored minority status legally.  for hamer's trouble he was put under investigation by the US Dept of HHS and his work regarding the mythical "gay gene" was found to be FRAUDULENT by both HHS and his peers who could not even come close to replicating Hamer's "science".

And there were two more clownish acts of not-even-neo-science in the name of "gay genetics" in the early 1990s that were also quickly put to bed due to OBVIOUS sampling bias and cart-before-the-horse hack approach.  I'll leave it to you to excercise your brain ball a little bit and learn about it, I will not spoon feed you from ultimate ignoramus and delivery you into the light of truth.  but the truth is there, and it has NOTHING to do with BBT- blaming bible thumpers and all to do with scientific fraud.

and the fraudulentarian homo-fascists are still sitting there, red faced, trying to grunt out a nugget of "gay gene" science- now they hang their hats on "epi-genetics" in a profoundly vague manner, since people have dug up hamer's stinko science and are saying "look, we know this is trash".  but they have epi-genetics, they will tell you, really they do.

Of course it's a choice. All these people are choosing to be gay because they so enjoy the discrimination and abuse that goes with it. Especially Matthew Shepard, the kid in Wyoming, who because he chose to be gay was tied to a fence and beaten to death.

Not to mention shrinking the dating pool.  It's so much more challenging.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

Kudos to Jason for having the guts to be the first to come out.....

NBA veteran center Jason Collins has become the first active male professional athlete in the major four American sports leagues to come out as gay.

Collins wrote a first-person account posted Monday on Sports Illustrated's website. The 34-year-old Collins has played for six NBA teams in 12 seasons. He finished this past season with the Washington Wizards and is now a free agent. He says he wants to continue playing.

Collins writes: "If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand."

Collins played in a Final Four for Stanford and reached two NBA Finals. His twin brother, Jarron, was also a longtime NBA center. Jason says he came out to his brother last summer.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/nba-veteran-jason-collins-gay-19066385

Thanks for starting this thread. As usual, your posts are succinct, honest and IMO on the mark. To be expected there are the usual homophobic suspects. These types will always be behind the curve.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

In response to TomOBrien's comment:

I can agree that this is a courageous move b/c of all the neanderthals out there, but in the end, who really cares what he does in his bedroom? It is really of no consequence. Just another guy!

it's a cowardly move because he is a horrible player who is washed up- just finished another season of 1 point a game, .9 rebounds a game, 65 points scored, is old, moves like a statue on defense and is in the same press release declaring that he is 1) gay- who cares and 2) still looking for work.  these are separate issues.

it does not take a lot of looking at how this was rolled out to see that collins is looking for a mercy booking for next year- pulling a publicity stunt.  i could respect john amaechi a lot more for how he conducted himself.  he did not do it as a publicity stunt to get an undeserved contract, although he did write a book about it.

and by the way, i'm enough of a neanderthal that i think if what amaechi said about how sloan treated him is true that sloan was incredibly wrong.  competence, not sexuality should dictate your professional relationship with another human being.

So if it was a superstar that came out it would make a difference?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

Wowwwzahss. A few points:

• Being Christian is your decision. Sort of like believing in horoscopes or in aliens.
    • Being homophobic is your decision, and not validated by your choice in religion
    • Being gay is not a choice
    • Annoucning that your gay in the world of sports where nobody has taken that step, takes courage.
    • There are many different types and levels of courage. Not all are equal, and they are not comparable. Courage on a battlefield can not be ranked verses courage to come out of the closet.
    • The propper response to J. Collins, is summed up perfectly by Sean Grande: Will be prouder when the issue becomes less "who is" and more "who cares" 
    • My reaction: Good for him, but who cares. He isn't the only one who is, and nobody should really care either way.

umm, being gay is a choice.  there is no proof that there is a genetic link.  that ORIGINAL science from the early 1990s that "showed" gay was "genetic" was roundly debunked as trash at the time.  because the studies were FAR from pure- look into it yourself.  don't be an ignoramus your whole life. 

the "science" at hand was 1) NOT re-creatable for peer review and 2) showed INCREDIBLE bias in sampling methods, to the point where it was quite obvious that the new leftist science method of "obtain your desired result in your mind and then build your data around it" was in full force.

so what do lefties do when they have junk science?  they let it sit like dog doo on the lawn, only for YEARS and then suddenly, 6 to 8 years later they cite THAT SAME OLD GARBAGE "science" as "authoritative evidence" of whatever socio-political cause they want to advance.

oh, and i know the new whine is "but it's something about EPIgenetics!" (and we just have no idea what that may be yet but that's the company line we're going to put out while we are grasping for straws)

look no further than "gay science guru" so-called "Dr." Dean Hamer, who in 1993 rolled out JUNK SCIENCE SUPREME to try to get "two men having sex" favored minority status legally.  for hamer's trouble he was put under investigation by the US Dept of HHS and his work regarding the mythical "gay gene" was found to be FRAUDULENT by both HHS and his peers who could not even come close to replicating Hamer's "science".

And there were two more clownish acts of not-even-neo-science in the name of "gay genetics" in the early 1990s that were also quickly put to bed due to OBVIOUS sampling bias and cart-before-the-horse hack approach.  I'll leave it to you to excercise your brain ball a little bit and learn about it, I will not spoon feed you from ultimate ignoramus and delivery you into the light of truth.  but the truth is there, and it has NOTHING to do with BBT- blaming bible thumpers and all to do with scientific fraud.

and the fraudulentarian homo-fascists are still sitting there, red faced, trying to grunt out a nugget of "gay gene" science- now they hang their hats on "epi-genetics" in a profoundly vague manner, since people have dug up hamer's stinko science and are saying "look, we know this is trash".  but they have epi-genetics, they will tell you, really they do. 

Being gay is not a choice. You really are out of touch with reality.

it's as much a choice as you dumping out brown frothy matter onto this discussion board.  have you ever looked at hamer's "science" and the other two charlatans of the early 1990s?

or are you going to just sit there and tell me it's not a choice because you said so?  the difference between me and you is that i have an inquiring mind.  i want to know what i choose to support is true.  this is not true.

once you're done never digesting "Dr." hamer's science fraud- check out the wonderful work of simon LeVay- such a SHARP lad that he concluded that certain clusters neurons in the hypothalmic portion of the brain of homosexuals were larger in homosexuals than heterosexuals.  this bright bulb failed to make the connection that this difference was due to much of his sample of gay men having AIDS and then soon after they died from AIDS.  well, so much for that.

then there was the SAGE "research" of bailey and pillard regarding the "genetic link" between being identical twins and being gay.  issues emerged with the cognitive dissonance of his interpretation of his own data that was not conclusive of anything, and then furthermore he was guilty of sampling bias so that the science could not be replicated for peer review.

kirk, i don't know- you can lead a horse to water, but when you drown a horse in water, maybe they don't get over their thirst for knowledge.  in your case there is significant evidence that you have no thirst for or knowledge at all.  sad.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

In response to shamrock1000's comment:

God Bless Jason Collins.

For those who say "this is not news, it's no big deal" - yes, that should be the case, but unfortunately it is not. Just look at how some are responding here - its clearly a big deal. 

For those who claim they "don't want to know what he does in the bedroom" - that is all good and well, but he is not telling you what he does in the bedroom (if you imagine specific things then that is on you). It's not revealing "tmi" or pushing an agenda, its being honest about who you are. Nobody should have to hide who they are - that is the point!

For those who equate homosexuality with adultery or other more loathsome sex-related acts -  uhm, some innocent gets hurt by those other things you falsely equate with homosexuality. If somebody finds love, happiness as well as physical and/or emotional comfort with somebody of the same sex, who am I (or you) to try and deny them??

For those who quote the bible - if you have really read the bible, you would know only a few passages address homosexuality. I am always surprised at what people take away from the bible. Both the old testament and the new contain so much wisdom and all some people can focus on are these few passages. By the way, the bible also prohibits many sexual acts commonly practised by heterosexual couples, not to mention "onanism". 

For those who say it is "not natural" - Uhm, what ever happens in nature is, by definition, natural. By your logic, anything non-procreational is "not natural". 

For those who site statistics linking homosexuality to other self-destructive behaviors - did you ever consider that maybe, just maybe, some of those behaviors result from shame, guilt, self-hatred partially resulting from how gay people are percieved? I don't know about you, but I can't seem to control who is and isn't gay, but I can control how I treat them and think of them.

For those who say "he's trying to prolong his career" - Come on. Find me one GM who would prefer to introduce possible controversy and conflict in the locker room.

For those who draw distinctions between race and sexual orientation - I'm pretty sure Jason Collins didn't choose to be gay. Actually sounds like it cause a fair amount of anxiety. Not saying there aren't distinctions between race and sexuality, but to obtusely deny any parallels is disingenuous.

All the power to you JC - that took some guts...

Why reference the Bible in the first place. It's a Bronze Age holy book, replete with contradictions, important ommissions (ie. slavery) and like 8 scientific inaccuracies just in the first 2 pages.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to zeitgeist49's comment:

Thanks for starting this thread. As usual, your posts are succinct, honest and IMO on the mark. To be expected there are the usual homophobic suspects. These types will always be behind the curve.

i am junk science phobic, "coming out" fatigued, and wary of a rotten player who pulls a stunt like this just to try to extend a career one year- a career that should have been euthanized five years back.

i don't think anybody here has said a bad word about gay people.  "to be gay" just doesn't crack it as a headline for most of us.  how about, when it comes to sports, "what do you bring to the table for my team?"  collins brought nothing to the C's and has brought nothing to the league for years.

maybe mark cuban will hire him for next year but something tells me that notorious player-pleaser cuban wouldn't even have collins to town.  a crash testy dummy can sit on the bench for 82 games just the same

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

There is also evidence to say that gay people, while "born straight", have experienced, at one time or another, some kind of abuse.  And it is that event that "changed" them.  HARDLY a choice................

I believe one is born that way...........I have several members of my family who are gay, and were hardly "shocked" when any of them announced it............I have done research, and no amount of contradictory statements will change my mind.

As for Jason Collins - it doesn't make any difference to me one way or the other..... I would welcome him back here if Doc and Danny thought he could help.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from srinivasa. Show srinivasa's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

What is the significance of JC telling us hes gay?   I assume most people know gays exist..

I can only think its because he may be the first coming out thats a sports figure in one of the big games.. bb, baseball etc..  Puzzles me that anyone would even care. Its sports news cause its something the media can milk and get ur attention.  Its good for politicians to get behind and give their bs speech, its good for everyone surrounding JC, like teammates, coaches, other players to get on their soap box and proclaim how  proud etc..

But really, whats the significance?? So some other athlete will get the courage to say hes gay too?? and what the heck does that have to do with anything??

Now all we need is the first pro sports virgin to announce,,, so people like fierce can feel comfortable about who he is

Bingo! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Acie --

This isn't the place for a debate about the science (or lack of it) of homosexuality, so I'll say my piece and go away.  Nothing I might say will convince you, nor any of my experiences with gay people I have known or seen grow up.  I will just say that it is evident that you don't know any gay people -- or people who are known to you to be gay.  In my opinion it is not a learned behavior -- or a result of abuse or "recruitment."  There are undoubtedly lots of gay people among professional athletes, most of whom have not come out because of fear of reactions like yours from teammates or other athletes or fans.  That fear today seems justified, so I admire JC for being willing to go it alone, even if he is just a journeyman.  We can differ on whether or not he is cynically seeking to prolong his career -- but someone needed to be the first to come out in the locker room, and it might as well be him.  Ultimately, whether or not a pro is gay has no bearing on whether or not he can play, but since pros have been playing and showering alongside of gay teammates for decades, might as well get admitting it over with.  If someone's uncomfortable with it, that's his problem, and up to him to deal with it in whatever way he can, but the gay teammate shouldn't have to hide it. 

That's my piece.  I'l drop it now and move to other threads.

cheers --

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jefflippa. Show Jefflippa's posts

Good for you, Jason. Hope this gives you the peace you were searching for. Brave man.

Go Celtics. Kick some Knick butt.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

Collins was a college classmate of Chelsea Clinton - I suspect his announcement is tied to a promised government job from Team Clinton, then he will probably announce he's running for elected office.

Doc Rivers always had good things to say about Collins as a teammate and professional mentor to the younger players. 

But can we just move on ? No need to bring this guy back just to make a social statement. The Celtics need players who can shoot, rebound and play defense. Collins is simply not good enough for the Celtics to use a roster spot just to make a trendy social statement.

Best of luck to Jason Collins , but let him work for the government fighting homophobia and gay bashing in the Black community. 

The Celtics should set their sights on Andrew Bynum , tell him Philly is NOWHERE and that he could be the next big star in Boston.......

Finally, on an unrelated note, let's remember what Alex Jones told Piers Morgan a couple of months ago: "Hitler took the guns, Stalin took the guns, Mao took the guns, Fidel Castro took the guns, Hugo Chavez took the guns....."

See you all on Draft Night !

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

Now all we need is the first pro sports virgin to announce,,, so people like fierce can feel comfortable about who he is

Fungi can be homothallic or self-compatible. Not exactly homosexual... not exactly virginal... but close.

They can reproduce without a partner if they are desperate enough and double-jointed.

My guess is that the "people like fierce" FUNGUS we are familiar with is counting on being its own best friend when parenting urges.

Here is the fungus "stinkhorn." Look familiar? Who knew?

Pud

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

In response to PHX85014's comment:

Finally, on an unrelated note, let's remember what Alex Jones told Piers Morgan a couple of months ago: "Hitler took the guns, Stalin took the guns, Mao took the guns, Fidel Castro took the guns, Hugo Chavez took the guns....."

And as Number6Fan says, Obama (or whomever) has no need to take the guns when they can just fire a smart bomb down your chimney from 1500 miles away. :-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

Wonder how many of his next team will want to shower with him. This is not something to be respected or admired.  Free country but I don't need to know his sex life.

You just gave the exact reason why people should come out.

Again free country.  You may support this type of life style but it doesn't belong in my religion.

I am straight but we are lambasted with the "sex life" of straight players all thr time. KG and Anthony got in a tiff about La La. If anything Collins coming out is much tamer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

i am junk science phobic, "coming out" fatigued, and wary of a rotten player who pulls a stunt like this just to try to extend a career one year- a career that should have been euthanized five years back.

i don't think anybody here has said a bad word about gay people.  "to be gay" just doesn't crack it as a headline for most of us.  how about, when it comes to sports, "what do you bring to the table for my team?"  collins brought nothing to the C's and has brought nothing to the league for years.

maybe mark cuban will hire him for next year but something tells me that notorious player-pleaser cuban wouldn't even have collins to town.  a crash testy dummy can sit on the bench for 82 games just the same

How is this going to extend his career? You are proof enough that small minded people can get very angry about things that shouldn't bother them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Enough of this Cr###p, lets go do something constructive...

Bash the LAKERS....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Great point Acie.   You are correct.   There has been more bad things,  accusations, and insults to the ones that just don't agree with it and dont consider it heroic.  Wonder have these understanding people would take it if their kids turn out to be gay.  something tells me their tune would change. Would it still be something to look up too?

Wonder what KG would think if Jason came back to the C's..    That may make KG retire.  Something tells me KG is not a huge gay supporter.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

How is this going to extend his career? You are proof enough that small minded people can get very angry about things that shouldn't bother them.

lawsuit for discrimination.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to dirty52's comment:

So if it was a superstar that came out it would make a difference?

it would not make a difference as far as it being TMI and un-newsworthy.  no superstars have "come out" as polygamists, heterosexuals, bi-sexuals, asexual or anything else.  keep your bedroom crap to yourself. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

what bothers me is the "new way" of thinking- brain dead sheeple, red faced and grunting to contrive "heroism" out of this 7 foot dingbat calling a press conference to say he's gay.  that does not involve heroism, it's not newsworthy, it's just crap. 

and all so he could be the "first active player" to do so, after his team is washed out of the playoffs and he probably won't get another contract because he stinks?  deceptive advertising at best.  fraud at worst.  attention seeking narcissism is the new normal.  it's a big disgrace that this is "news", an outrage that some nincompoops use the word "heroic", phrases like "he's the jackie robinson of gay people" and on and one the shameless victimhood game goes.

25. This post has been removed.