Jason Collins reveals he is gay

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Re: Jason Collins reveals he is gay

what's wtih all of the "coment removed" comments on this thread? 

i wonder who is complaining about what

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to Ortiz123's comment:

and if Sully is gay, I would appreciate he level of play..as long as I don't have to hear about his sexuality and have it thrown in my face...keep it to yourself,,i dont' care!!!

well, according to many drones on this board, you have just engaged in bigotry and hate-thought-crimes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to Ortiz123's comment:

and if Sully is gay, I would appreciate he level of play..as long as I don't have to hear about his sexuality and have it thrown in my face...keep it to yourself,,i dont' care!!!

Can you please explain how Jason Collins coming out is throwing his sexualtiy in your face?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

In response to Red-16Russ-11's comment:

There is also evidence to say that gay people, while "born straight", have experienced, at one time or another, some kind of abuse.  And it is that event that "changed" them.  HARDLY a choice................

I believe one is born that way...........I have several members of my family who are gay, and were hardly "shocked" when any of them announced it............I have done research, and no amount of contradictory statements will change my mind.

As for Jason Collins - it doesn't make any difference to me one way or the other..... I would welcome him back here if Doc and Danny thought he could help.

what is the specific science that you hang your hat on?  the temple of "our father of perpetual social justice"?

i guess your last sentence really sums it up- you would welcome him back if danny or doc thought he could help.  DID collins "help" here?  no.  the rookie sullinger quickly proved how useless collins is as a 7 foot slob who can't move or rebound.  and sullinger is only 6-7 and could do so much more.  and with a bad back.

So, your problem is you don't think he's a good basketball player.  That is fine, I don't, either..............would still take him back if they thought he could help.

I've done research on the topic.  If that's not good enough for you, I don't care.  It's called a differing opinion, and, apparently, no one can have one on this topic as far as you're concerned.

I think a person is born that way, always did, always will.  I will cite nothing for you, other than to tell you to open your mind to the possibility you don't have all the answers on this topic!

I don't come on here to argue with other Celtics fans, but don't push your luck...........

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

I'm going to go ahead and throw aciemvp into the tea party lunatic file on press on. He is as uniformed and gullible as the rest.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

i don't question why he is doing this.  he is now more famous and soon to be richer than he would have ever been otherwise.   i do question the timing.  middle of the playoffs?  he couldn't wait till end of season ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

i don't question why he is doing this.  he is now more famous and soon to be richer than he would have ever been otherwise.   i do question the timing.  middle of the playoffs?  he couldn't wait till end of season ?

It's Sterns' way of taking attention away from the failure of his Lakers.  :-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhol. Show jhol's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

In response to Kirk6's comment:

I'll put you down as a bigot.

i'll put you down as a lilliputian. 

maybe you should start a michael bloomberg-esque movement to force people to adore homosexuality and all news releases regarding it, or make them wear a yellow star to denote their "bigot" status?

Jason is the Jackie Robinson of gay people.

He is to be admired.

Admire him because he said he is gay?  Whats to admire>??

If the guy ran into a burning building and saved a few people, Id have admiration for him.  If he helped some people make their mortgage payment, Id admire him for that.

Admire cause he told us hes a homosexual?  Sorry, I dont get it

I read these replies over again and again and Karllost gets my nod for the clearest most sensible reply. Your gay ...good for you. I'm glad....we're all so glad. Now go home and do what gay men do and stop forcing the issue on the rrest of the world!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

So, your problem is you don't think he's a good basketball player.  That is fine, I don't, either..............would still take him back if they thought he could help.

I've done research on the topic.  If that's not good enough for you, I don't care.  It's called a differing opinion, and, apparently, no one can have one on this topic as far as you're concerned.

I think a person is born that way, always did, always will.  I will cite nothing for you, other than to tell you to open your mind to the possibility you don't have all the answers on this topic!

I don't come on here to argue with other Celtics fans, but don't push your luck...........

ahh.  fine, you are welcome to your opinion.  but you referred to "research" so i thought i would be allowed to become hip to your knowledge / science sources.  you are welcome to have your opinion on any topic. 

my mind is open to all sorts of possibilities, but at the end of the day, you need proof before you can say something as bold and wide spanning as "homosexuality is caused by genetics" and expect everyone to accept it as the truth.  all i've seen in that regard has been bogus, provably fraudulent science, and the new and incredibly vague assertion that "something to do with epigenetics" can explain it...  yet nothing really does and is ever likely too. 

http://ecodevoevo.blogspot.com/2013/01/epigenetics-what-else-dont-we-know.html

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

collins is as likely to be signed again to a contract as dave cowens coming out of retirement. 

so he had to execute timing like this so he was still technically an "active player" or else he just would have been another "john amaechi".  this way collins gets money from the talk show circuit and the media gets to over-hype that we have a "first" gay thing in sports.....  a first barely active, horrible quality player pulling a publicity stunt that also happens to coincide timing-wise with the SAME WEEK that congress is deliberating over anti-gay workplace discrimination legislation.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to FlobusMcNugget's comment:

I'm going to go ahead and throw aciemvp into the tea party lunatic file on press on. He is as uniformed and gullible as the rest.

coming from you, that is a compliment.  this is all you know.  throw people into bins of detraction labeling and try to discredit them while in reality not having enough intellectual neuron synapse firing power to conjure up a reason to do so.  this is the new normal in the country.  the schools and universities have worked very hard to make people this malleable and dumb

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I read these replies over again and again and Karllost gets my nod for the clearest most sensible reply. Your gay ...good for you. I'm glad....we're all so glad. Now go home and do what gay men do and stop forcing the issue on the rrest of the world!

How is Jason Collins acknowledging he's gay "forcing the issue on the rest of the world?" 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

ahh.  fine, you are welcome to your opinion.  but you referred to "research" so i thought i would be allowed to become hip to your knowledge / science sources.  you are welcome to have your opinion on any topic. 

my mind is open to all sorts of possibilities, but at the end of the day, you need proof before you can say something as bold and wide spanning as "homosexuality is caused by genetics" and expect everyone to accept it as the truth.  all i've seen in that regard has been bogus, provably fraudulent science, and the new and incredibly vague assertion that "something to do with epigenetics" can explain it...  yet nothing really does and is ever likely too. 

http://ecodevoevo.blogspot.com/2013/01/epigenetics-what-else-dont-we-know.html

People did have to do research before the Internet, you know.  Perhaps it was a paper done in college 100 years ago, and I've forgotten the sources..............

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolfamily66. Show coolfamily66's posts

I'll put you down as a bigot.

i'll put you down as a lilliputian. 

maybe you should start a michael bloomberg-esque movement to force people to adore homosexuality and all news releases regarding it, or make them wear a yellow star to denote their "bigot" status?

Or maybe you could talk to us about your "peaceful christian religion" that has killed thousands over the years in the name of GOD! The crusades, the inquisition, all excuses from christianity to kill those that didnt believe the same things they did! The only reason 1/3 of the world is christian is because of that!! Without striking fear into people to change to christianity, that religion would be dead and gone! Or maybe your priests and clergy could rape some more boys, that sure is christian of them! Christianity spreads weak mindness and bigotry, always has always will! Thats what happens when the word of the bible is taken literally!! A book that was handed down by word of mouth for hundreds of years! Thats got to be accurate huh!?!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

[/QUOTE]

You obviously know nothing about me.  You are laughable at best. .   No I don't pick and choose what to believe.  It is pretty much black in white .   Maybe you just just show your support for Jason and go march with him next parade.    I hope you don't bring up hate while you are supporting his decision to let you know his lifestyle.  I said nothing of hate.  

I suppose  you think adultery is ok as well?

[/QUOTE]

Black and white - no free thought or carefully analyzed digression from (any) orthodoxy that's centuries outdated and blind to change?  That black and white?  Gray is a better place to be - it has so many different possibilities.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from docomospur. Show docomospur's posts

I didn't think it's a big deal but after reading some of the comments on here, I understand why it does take some guts for Collins to state who he is.  Many point to this as a bedroom issue, but to Collins, it may be having to hide who he is from the rest of the world, day in day out.  Let's say, hypothetically, that the Celts win the NBA Championship this season, with Collins on the squad, and he embraces and kisses his partner on national TV during the post-match celebrations.  It should be no big deal but I daresay it would raise some eyebrows.

You may say that you don't care but from his point of view, the world does seem to care, and unfortunately it might not all be a warm and supportive type of caring.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Hmmm ??? Come on Guys...time to come out of the closet !!!

PS...please don't lay into me as I am only trying to add some levity to a very sensitive subject and also maybe irk some Laker fans !!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhol. Show jhol's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

How is Jason Collins acknowledging he's gay "forcing the issue on the rest of the world?" 

How??? He is the first major sport althelete to come out while still playing. He knew exactly what he was doing, and unlike me, my sexual preference is of little interest to anybody. If I annouunce to the world that I love my wife and have taken many showers with her, is anybody going to care, and will the whole world know in a matter of hours? I Just don't understand why gays have to let everybody know (by a variety of actions including effeminate speech and actions, the way they dress, marching in gay parades...etc...etc..) what they do in private.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

In response to FlobusMcNugget's comment:

coming from you, that is a compliment.  this is all you know.  throw people into bins of detraction labeling and try to discredit them while in reality not having enough intellectual neuron synapse firing power to conjure up a reason to do so.  this is the new normal in the country.  the schools and universities have worked very hard to make people this malleable and dumb

Not half as hard as the talking heads on FOXNews have with the paranoid, uneducated masses such as yourself.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to jhol's comment:

How??? He is the first major sport althelete to come out while still playing. He knew exactly what he was doing, and unlike me, my sexual preference is of little interest to anybody. If I annouunce to the world that I love my wife and have taken many showers with her, is anybody going to care, and will the whole world know in a matter of hours? I Just don't understand why gays have to let everybody know (by a variety of actions including effeminate speech and actions, the way they dress, marching in gay parades...etc...etc..) what they do in private.

That's exactly the point. He never said a word about what he does in private. He never talked about how many time's he been laid (speaking of which, were you this upset when Wilt Chamberlain did?). He never detailed any romances or bedroom techniques. All he said was that he's a gay athlete. Period.

How you see that as forcing the issue on the world I don't get.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhol. Show jhol's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

That's exactly the point. He never said a word about what he does in private. He never talked about how many time's he been laid (speaking of which, were you this upset when Wilt Chamberlain did?). He never detailed any romances or bedroom techniques. All he said was that he's a gay athlete. Period.

How you see that as forcing the issue on the world I don't get.

Wilt is an idiot as well. I see where you are trying to go with this, and it's not going to work.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhol. Show jhol's posts

I'm going to bail out of this discussion because I'm really not the argumentive type. For the record, I'm not homophobic, even if it might seem that way from my comments. In fact, the guy that cuts my hair is openly gay (surprise surpise) and we get along fine. Now that being said, my wife is always present with me when I get my hair cut! :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Just to be clear here......Jason is the first MALE athlete to come out.......Billie Jean King and Martina came out a long time ago, as did, I believe, several WNBA players........and Britany Griner

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

I'm going to bail out of this discussion because I'm really not the argumentive type. For the record, I'm not homophobic, even if it might seem that way from my comments. In fact, the guy that cuts my hair is openly gay (surprise surpise) and we get along fine. Now that being said, my wife is always present with me when I get my hair cut! :)

Are scared to be alone with him?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

When Collins has come out matters very little in the end.  The fact that he felt imprisioned and unable to do it earlier reveals more about the people around him than it does about Mr. Collins.  Professional sports promote "manliness" and all that it means, so when one element (and one element only) presents an enormous barrier, it's no wonder that it's so very difficult for gay athletes to be open about themselves.  Situations demand different behaviors, and this was one.  Many of us wish Tebow had kept his personal and private preferences to himself, but somehow falling in line with a predetermined set of aged standards is better than expressing one's deep and true self in regard to what is becoming more and more accepted in contemportary life in our country.  By the way, children often have more to teach us than we have to teach them about interpersonal experiences and the acceptance of others for who they are and not what they are.