Jason Collins reveals he is gay

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Re: Jason Collins reveals he is gay

Our biggest problems this year has been missing a legitimate PG, Rondo, but also, and it's been this way for a couple of years, we are usually last in rebounding. We had Jason Collins but despite needing a rebounder & good defender, traded him because he was a mediocre big man. I think his coming out was more of a attention getting event because he had never been in the limelight. Personally, and I recall in the Military, solders did not want to come out 50 some years ago.

Why, because there is obviously some Stigma to being gay and some gays are troubled & wish a catharsis re: this issue. Personally, I see no need to come out. Stay in the closet. And when many do, they become militant, defiant & do toss it in your face and get involved with Gay Freedom Day parades etc. I don't come out and say I'm heterosexual as it's no ones business. I don't come out and say I have a Latin name but I'm really an Anglo or I'm Irish, Italian, Mexican etc. & I want to disclose it. An athlete's worth is their performance & interacting in sports with their teammates to provide a winning and exciting team for fans to enjoy. Why do we need know their or anyone's sexual preference ??? Jackie Robinson was different  and had a bonifide right although he bit his tongue frequently to be militant & boast his race too as we could see his color but a gay, unless he is blatantly effeminate, need not disclose what is not obvious.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

Our biggest problems this year has been missing a legitimate PG, Rondo, but also, and it's been this way for a couple of years, we are usually last in rebounding. We had Jason Collins but despite needing a rebounder & good defender, traded him because he was a mediocre big man. I think his coming out was more of a attention getting event because he had never been in the limelight. Personally, and I recall in the Military, solders did not want to come out 50 some years ago.

Why, because there is obviously some Stigma to being gay and some gays are troubled & wish a catharsis re: this issue. Personally, I see no need to come out. Stay in the closet. And when many do, they become militant, defiant & do toss it in your face and get involved with Gay Freedom Day parades etc. I don't come out and say I'm heterosexual as it's no ones business. I don't come out and say I have a Latin name but I'm really an Anglo or I'm Irish, Italian, Mexican etc. & I want to disclose it. An athlete's worth is their performance & interacting in sports with their teammates to provide a winning and exciting team for fans to enjoy. Why do we need know their or anyone's sexual preference ???

You just did.

Now go back in the closet please.

We really don't need to know.

Pud

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

Its interesting to note that some of the first things some posters brought up were what he does in the bedroom , about what kind of sex he does walking around naked in front of other men in the locker room . kissing another man .

Make you wonder doesn't it? What is really on their minds?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to FlobusMcNugget's comment:

Not half as hard as the talking heads on FOXNews have with the paranoid, uneducated masses such as yourself.

oh great.  another mass labeling.  i'm now "fox news" associated.  a channel of news that i do not watch and never did watch.  thanks for your deep thoughts.  you bring so much to the table.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to coolfamily66's comment:

Or maybe you could talk to us about your "peaceful christian religion" that has killed thousands over the years in the name of GOD! The crusades, the inquisition, all excuses from christianity to kill those that didnt believe the same things they did! The only reason 1/3 of the world is christian is because of that!! Without striking fear into people to change to christianity, that religion would be dead and gone! Or maybe your priests and clergy could rape some more boys, that sure is christian of them! Christianity spreads weak mindness and bigotry, always has always will! Thats what happens when the word of the bible is taken literally!! A book that was handed down by word of mouth for hundreds of years! Thats got to be accurate huh!?!

and now i am discredited because of my comments on jason collins' non news because of my religion.  i hope this thread can become a university psychiatry case study in how disturbed individuals divide by zero in a grotesque manner when they run up against some opposition to their group think. 

my religion has nothing to do with jason collins.  i did not cite "my religion" one time on this thread with regard to jason collins or his announcements.  i did tell the story of how i was persecuted in the workplace because of my religion.  i guess in your eyes i deserved more discrimination than i got.

not really sure what else to conclude.  other than you are a very unhappy atheist who cannot critically think very well at all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

In response to PHX85014's comment:

WHY ARE YOU CALLING ME A BIGOT ? I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH COLLINS ! PLUS, THE 2nD HALF OF THE QUOTE YOU COPIED AND PASTED WAS NOT WRITTEN BY ME (THE PART ABOUT THE CONGRESSIONAL BILL) , WHY DID YOU INCLUDE THAT AND TRY TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE I WROTE IT ?

LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE THE BIGOT - DISTORTING AND DEMONIZING ANYONE WITH A VIEW YOU DON'T AGREE WITH......I SUSPECT YOU DREAM ABOUT LIVING IN A COUNTRY WITH A LEADER LIKE HITLER, STALIN, MAO, CASTRO or CHAVEZ - LEADERS WHO MURDERED MILLIONS OF INNOCENT PEOPLE FOR QUESTIONING THEIR AUTHORITY.......PEOPLE LIKE YOU SCARE ME. YOU'D LIKE TO SEE 60MILLION AMERICANS IN CONCENTRATION CAMPS WOULDN'T YOU ?

People like you will always be BEHIND THE CURVE. If someone like JC had "come out" 30 years ago, there would have been significantly more bigoted comments on this thread. And 30 years from now, one's sexual preference won't be an issue. Today you "came out" as a bigot.

1) WHO called you a bigot?!  you seem to really like using this word.  but have yet to use it properly

2) there's that "bigot" word again- can't you mix it up and accuse of a hate crime just for some variety?  :-O

3) i did not copy and paste anything- i type it.  and i did not "add it to make it look like you wrote it", rather i was merely sharing the information that is true- this bill is up for debate in congress this week

4) you are accusing me of being a stalinist, a maoist, a lover of all things hitler.  yes, you really are.  why i do not know.  but it's interesting to watch an intellectual car crash such as what you have given to all of us here on the board.  i keep rubbernecking back to it wondering what went wrong with the formation of your intellect

5) and.......  we'll finish up by invoking the word "bigot" again in the context of if the world was more like me there would have been MORE BIGOTED COMMENTS in the thread, because i am a bigot, yet there is no evidence shown that i made one single bigoted statement. 

all in all, great job.  it was sure a memorable read.  the same sort of disaster as watching jason collins try to play the center position well, or doc rivers devise and then coach a clever game plan.  lololllol

-------------------------------------------

Hey ACIE, I wasn't even talking to you.......this new message board format is clunky and confusing, I still don't know how to add a pic like I used to.......someone responded to my orignal post and said I was a bigot when nothing I wrote was even remotely bigoted. So I fired back and now you think it was directed at you. It wasn't and I'm sorry to trouble you. You and Fiercest are my two favorite characters on this board (what happened to Rajon  Rondowski ?), I appreciate being able to talk about the Boston Celtics at any hour of the day and night with other Celtics fans.

But this is what happens when Class Warfare , Racial Division and Group Identity Politics are promoted by the White House and Dinasour Media every single day......people get edgy and suspicious of everyone else.

I also suspect there are more than a few "Crisis Actors" trolling on this board........

PS: "Hitler took the guns, Stalin took the guns, Mao took the guns, Fidel Castro took the guns, Hugo Chavez took the guns......."

PSII: still upset Shaq got injured as a Celtic.....Watching Shaq play for the Celtics for those 30 games or so was one of the greatest things I've ever seen as a Celtic fan.....he gave Rondo a low post option/security blanket that made the Celtics unbeatable.....had Shaq and Delonte West stayed healthy, that team would have swept the Lakers.....

So when is Draft Night ? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to Ortiz123's comment:

and if Sully is gay, I would appreciate he level of play..as long as I don't have to hear about his sexuality and have it thrown in my face...keep it to yourself,,i dont' care!!!

well, according to many drones on this board, you have just engaged in bigotry and hate-thought-crimes.

Ive also been accussed of racism..(only because I have a Different opinion)and in spite of my hispanic roots..(I look white, but raised in Mexico) worked in the freakin fields until I went to college...but how could I understand the struggle..right.....lol

So I guess Blacks and Mexicans can be bigots and racist...but only if they do not share a certain opinion....who is really small minded???

But seriously, by brother has twins boys that are gay...they did not reveal it to their parents until last year...they are in early twenties...

You know what, I told my brother that you still have to love them (they ARE your blood)..

But you don't have to approve of the behavior...its up to you...That's how I would approach it if they were my sons...They are allowed in his house, but not to spend the night with any male partners..(his wifes rules).those are their rules , not mine, but I support it...by the way, my brother is not exactly a , fox watching conservative.  

I have another brother that has a lisbian daughter...he just found out last year or so..

Not sure how they get along, he has not even disclosed it to me..and we talk all the time..

I just want to know something, In my generation (i have nine brothers and sisters), not one of my cousings or siblings turned gay...but in this next generation, all of a sudden, these kids discovered they were gay.??...Somebody please explain this to me...but don't call me ignorant or stupid or small minded..I just want to know..thats why I don't believew its a genetic thing...and more to do with social acceptance....I know that things change, but in my day, there were only a few that were gay and you could spot them a mile away..but now its more common..what exactly changed???

Are you telling me that all those people from my generation were just hiding it all the time...

or are people just accepting a different life choice....that's my humble opinion...

Love the sinner, hate the sin...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

WHY ARE YOU CALLING ME A BIGOT ? I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH COLLINS ! PLUS, THE 2nD HALF OF THE QUOTE YOU COPIED AND PASTED WAS NOT WRITTEN BY ME (THE PART ABOUT THE CONGRESSIONAL BILL) , WHY DID YOU INCLUDE THAT AND TRY TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE I WROTE IT ?

LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE THE BIGOT - DISTORTING AND DEMONIZING ANYONE WITH A VIEW YOU DON'T AGREE WITH......I SUSPECT YOU DREAM ABOUT LIVING IN A COUNTRY WITH A LEADER LIKE HITLER, STALIN, MAO, CASTRO or CHAVEZ - LEADERS WHO MURDERED MILLIONS OF INNOCENT PEOPLE FOR QUESTIONING THEIR AUTHORITY.......PEOPLE LIKE YOU SCARE ME. YOU'D LIKE TO SEE 60MILLION AMERICANS IN CONCENTRATION CAMPS WOULDN'T YOU ?

People like you will always be BEHIND THE CURVE. If someone like JC had "come out" 30 years ago, there would have been significantly more bigoted comments on this thread. And 30 years from now, one's sexual preference won't be an issue. Today you "came out" as a bigot.

1) WHO called you a bigot?!  you seem to really like using this word.  but have yet to use it properly

2) there's that "bigot" word again- can't you mix it up and accuse of a hate crime just for some variety?  :-O

3) i did not copy and paste anything- i type it.  and i did not "add it to make it look like you wrote it", rather i was merely sharing the information that is true- this bill is up for debate in congress this week

4) you are accusing me of being a stalinist, a maoist, a lover of all things hitler.  yes, you really are.  why i do not know.  but it's interesting to watch an intellectual car crash such as what you have given to all of us here on the board.  i keep rubbernecking back to it wondering what went wrong with the formation of your intellect

5) and.......  we'll finish up by invoking the word "bigot" again in the context of if the world was more like me there would have been MORE BIGOTED COMMENTS in the thread, because i am a bigot, yet there is no evidence shown that i made one single bigoted statement. 

all in all, great job.  it was sure a memorable read.  the same sort of disaster as watching jason collins try to play the center position well, or doc rivers devise and then coach a clever game plan.  lololllol

Hey ACIE, I wasn't even talking to you.......this new message board format is clunky and confusing, I still don't know how to add a pic like I used to.......someone responded to my orignal post and said I was a bigot when nothing I wrote was even remotely bigoted. So I fired back and now you think it was directed at you. It wasn't and I'm sorry to trouble you. You and Fiercest are my two favorite characters on this board (what happened to Rajon  Rondowski ?), I appreciate being able to talk about the Boston Celtics at any hour of the day and night with other Celtics fans.

But this is what happens when Class Warfare , Racial Division and Group Identity Politics are promoted by the White House and Dinasour Media every single day......people get edgy and suspicious of everyone else.

I also suspect there are more than a few "Crisis Actors" trolling on this board........

PS: "Hitler took the guns, Stalin took the guns, Mao took the guns, Fidel Castro took the guns, Hugo Chavez took the guns......."

PSII: still upset Shaq got injured as a Celtic.....Watching Shaq play for the Celtics for those 30 games or so was one of the greatest things I've ever seen as a Celtic fan.....he gave Rondo a low post option/security blanket that made the Celtics unbeatable.....had Shaq and Delonte West stayed healthy, that team would have swept the Lakers.....

So when is Draft Night ? 

+1 Buddy...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/jason-collins-ex-fiancee-carolyn-moos-never-suspected-gay/185889 

Seems our hero was engaged to this young lady for years...lied all those years to her and evrybody elsoe ....this is what passes for hero's these days..pathetic...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Hey ACIE, I wasn't even talking to you.......this new message board format is clunky and confusing, I still don't know how to add a pic like I used to.......someone responded to my orignal post and said I was a bigot when nothing I wrote was even remotely bigoted. So I fired back and now you think it was directed at you.

So when is Draft Night ? 

ahh yes, there has been so much of that.

i have "draft night" emblazoned in my brain as "june 2_" from the old days.  i don't know if they have changed that or not.  i don't think it's long after playoffs wrap up

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

I think if people attributed to heterosexual couples the amount of sex they envision gays engaging in, they'd be laughed out of the room.:-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to jhol's comment:

Wilt is an idiot as well. I see where you are trying to go with this, and it's not going to work.

Wasn't trying to go anywhere. Just asking a question: How is Jason Collins forcing the issue on anyone?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

Good on Jason Collins for this. But personally I wish we lived in a world/society where labels just don't matter.

All I care about is if someone is a decent person. Don't care what their sexual orientation, religion, poltics, etc are. 

That is an interesting story in regards to Carolyn Moos. I don't believe that for one instant Jason Collins isn't the only person living a lie to cover up for their sexual orientation. It's just sad and tragic as a society that people are forced by society into relationships like this. That in this case ended up hurting both Jason and Carolyn.

A lot of courage on Jason's part. With the numbers of guys in the NBA statistically he can't be the only homosexual currently playing in the league. 

Have a lot more time for a fellow like Jason Collins than the likes of Michael Vick, Kobe Bryant, Alvin Robertson and the like. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

In response to jhol's comment:

Wilt is an idiot as well. I see where you are trying to go with this, and it's not going to work.

Wasn't trying to go anywhere. Just asking a question: How is Jason Collins forcing the issue on anyone?

JC outted himself voluntarily in a SI interview.. Hes gone public through the news media and one-on-one interviews... JC planned this news event with the aid of his agent.. JC brought his gayness to the public purposely and now its on every news and sports show.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

I think that is a good thing. Get discussion going. Make people aware that the old sterotype of a "gay" person doesn't exist at all. All walks of life and all professions. From a teacher to a Marine in Afghanistan. 

Some of the pure insanity of the level of viterol thrown towards Collins has left me profoundly disturbed. It seems almost at the level of when Magic Johnson announced he was HIV positive. So little public education and awareness of HIV in 1991. But seriously it was no excuse for ignorance by the NBA and the public. People needed to educate themselves. 

Have a watch of the documentary "The Announcement". 

Society really does need to build a bridge over titles including "gay". Racisim seems to be dying, or is it? I hope the community has moved on from the days when the most successful Basketball player of all time had his house broken into and had racial comments written on the ways and feces left on his bed. I hope something similar doesn't happen to Jason Collins who genuinely seems like a decent human behing. 

People just need to accept one anothers differences. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

JC outted himself voluntarily in a SI interview.. Hes gone public through the news media and one-on-one interviews... JC planned this news event with the aid of his agent.. JC brought his gayness to the public purposely and now its on every news and sports show.

OK ... but what is forcing you to listen or watch? Or, for that  matter, discuss it on this forum? He acknowledged who he is, and you and everyone else who finds it objectionable are free to let it go at that. He is not forcing anything on anyone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to Skins and Heart's comment:

I think that is a good thing. Get discussion going. Make people aware that the old sterotype of a "gay" person doesn't exist at all. All walks of life and all professions. From a teacher to a Marine in Afghanistan. 

Some of the pure insanity of the level of viterol thrown towards Collins has left me profoundly disturbed. It seems almost at the level of when Magic Johnson announced he was HIV positive. So little public education and awareness of HIV in 1991. But seriously it was no excuse for ignorance by the NBA and the public. People needed to educate themselves. 

Have a watch of the documentary "The Announcement". 

Society really does need to build a bridge over titles including "gay". Racisim seems to be dying, or is it? I hope the community has moved on from the days when the most successful Basketball player of all time had his house broken into and had racial comments written on the ways and feces left on his bed. I hope something similar doesn't happen to Jason Collins who genuinely seems like a decent human behing. 

People just need to accept one anothers differences. 

Great post.  And though I'm a Celtic fan, I dig the avatar. Worthy was one of my favorite  Lakers, if that's not an oxymoron.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I put Jackie Robinson & the race card issue in a different category than gays mingling with non-gays. In the Military in the foxholes & showers, one or many may have had disciminatory feelings but the non-white person was not a threat to one's beliefs that God put us on this earth to use our God given gift to pro-create when physically able to do so. I've said this before, I play mixed doubles tennis with females, we are clothed but I still find them attractive and I would be aroused(and doubt if many heterosexuals wouldn't be too) if we then showered together. Sure it's nice to say that Jason Collins or other gays can control their sexual feelings in nude surroundings but the situation may make heterosexuals uncomfortable and cause a moral problem. I recommend, as we don't shower with women, that the gays have separate shower stalls. Now, if someone discriminates against gays if their sexual preference is not threatened as being in a shower with them, then yes they are bigots.

OK, hopefully this topic has been beaten ala a dead horse and I'm impressed that so many avid sports fans have very intelligent, some not so much, views on this controversal subject.

I wish to end with some levity that we refer to the Bible to help resolve the issue of same sex marriage & the use of marijuana as it says and I'm paraphrasing " Man who lies with Man shall be Stoned" !!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Good on Jason Collins for this. But personally I wish we lived in a world/society where labels just don't matter.

All I care about is if someone is a decent person. Don't care what their sexual orientation, religion, poltics, etc are. 

That is an interesting story in regards to Carolyn Moos. I don't believe that for one instant Jason Collins isn't the only person living a lie to cover up for their sexual orientation. It's just sad and tragic as a society that people are forced by society into relationships like this. That in this case ended up hurting both Jason and Carolyn.

A lot of courage on Jason's part. With the numbers of guys in the NBA statistically he can't be the only homosexual currently playing in the league. 

Have a lot more time for a fellow like Jason Collins than the likes of Michael Vick, Kobe Bryant, Alvin Robertson and the like. 

Hi Skins,

While I don't agree with every thing you say, overall I do agree with some though.  I look at Jason just like I would if a married man came out and said publicly that he believes in committing adultery.  I don't agree with it.  Just because I don't agree with it doesn't mean I hate Jason Collins.  He probably is a great guy. IMO a lot of great guys do things I don't agree with.  I have a religion that I believe in and people including myself have many flaws that hopefully they get corrected.  In my case I go by my religion.  To me what is really sad is people that proclaim to be christians have been chastised more than Jason for chiming in on what they believe is the right way to live..  I have never like Chris Broussard at all.    I now have a lot more respect for him that I did before.  Of course very few are going to call what Chris did as a heroic deed.

I think this is probably my last word on this subject as it only creates ill will  and it is a no win proposition.

In our country we have freedom of speech and it doesn't just go for some types.  I can respect what other posters think but that doesn't make me agree with them.  

Just by mentioning religion  here is one response I got:

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

Wonder how many of his next team will want to shower with him? This is not something to be respected or admired.  Free country but I don't need to know his sex life.

You just gave the exact reason why people should come out.

Again free country.  You may support this type of life style but it doesn't belong in my religion.

So just what does belong in your religion? Hatred?  You are a typical bible thumper who picks and chooses what to believe from the Bible... its laughable...

Look who is calling the kettle black.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

everybody seems to agree he's a really nice guy as well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

Over the past few days I've noticed there are two groups similarly stating they "don't care" about JC's coming out. There are those that say that it shouldn't matter that someone is gay and it should be a non-event (which I agree with), and others that say they don't want to know about it out of hatred, fear or condemnation of gay people. Lets not confuse this for agreement.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

For those who quote the Bible so selectively..... alas.... the human condition....

"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another.”
    Jonathan Swift

Pud

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to FlobusMcNugget's comment:

Over the past few days I've noticed there are two groups similarly stating they "don't care" about JC's coming out. There are those that say that it shouldn't matter that someone is gay and it should be a non-event (which I agree with), and others that say they don't want to know about it out of hatred, fear or condemnation of gay people. Lets not confuse this for agreement.

=======================================

What is frustrating to me is that, albeit you are correct with your assessment of responses...ain't it great in America we are entitled to differences of opinions, but it terms of it being a "non event", it is not in this aspect. It's easy for many to say that Jason Collins and other gays can control their feelings in the shower and we have to accept that. Could we tell females not to worry, let's shower together as we can control our arousals.  I guess people who go to nudist colonies are gifted in their ability to control themselves. I guess if someone physically shows their arousal, they gets tossed out.  Also, who knows what goes on in privacy at nudist colonies.

I'm saying that a Black and any other non-white next to me in the shower does not affect me and my beliefs(unless I'm a bigot). Blacks were told to use separate bathrooms in the past because they were discriminated against but were not told to do so because they were sexual threats.

Yes, come one, come many, out of the closet but don't shove down our throats that we must accept showering with these guys---women wouldn't. It's the chemistry of a harmonius locker room too that can affect play on the court/field etc. The answer is separate shower stalls !

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

I would wager there's not a single male person on this board who has not, in HS or college, showered next to a gay person.  How does knowing about it make it any different?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

In response to Karllost's comment:

OK ... but what is forcing you to listen or watch? Or, for that  matter, discuss it on this forum? He acknowledged who he is, and you and everyone else who finds it objectionable are free to let it go at that. He is not forcing anything on anyone.

Whats forcing people on this forum to watch the game tonight?? Nothing other than its what we do...just as many of us watch the news and espn. What forces you to breathe or open the door before walking into it?? Nothing other than its part of the normal course of our day..

and JC inserted his gayness into it... 

BTW, I havent given my opinion on whether I object to a man being a homosexual so dont put words in my mouth.. I did find it a non event and unworthy of characterizing JC a hero or courageous for going public..