Jeff Green is not good at the 4

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Jeff Green is not good at the 4

In response to Kirk6's comment:

What changed were his defensive results. According to 82games.com, opposing small forwards mustered only a 7.9 PER against Green with Boston and a 12.2 PER against him with Oklahoma City; the problem was that opposing power forwards shredded him for a 21.6 mark. Similarly, Green's Synergy stats with Boston were strong, whereas with the Thunder they were awful. All of which points to the fact that Green is much better at guarding 3s than 4s.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2011/12/4/2611593/jeff-green-is-a-combo-forward-but-mostly-a-small-forward

Of course Green is better at the 3 than at the 4. We all know this. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Agree that Green is better at the 3.  Green wouldn't have to play at the 4 if Danny had acquired someone else that could play the 4 or 5.  I am still disappointed that this didn't happen. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

FACTS WE KNEW:

1. Green gave up more than he was giving when playing at the 4

2. SF seemed his most natural position

3. He was still growing as a player and could get better at both positions

4. He is NOT a SG

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JG9000. Show JG9000's posts

In response to susan250's comment:

Agree that Green is better at the 3.  Green wouldn't have to play at the 4 if Danny had acquired someone else that could play the 4 or 5.  I am still disappointed that this didn't happen. 

Doc didn't play Williams last night, who was playing well. Crawford only 4 minutes. got beat on the boards again by 7. Doc stinks at using his bench. he's the most overrated coach in the league. nice win but with better coaching this year we would have at least 35 wins and be up there with the elite teams. we are a jump shooting team with no inside game. that's is a direct result of poor coaching. sorry to be so cynical but that's the way i see it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Maybe we should move Jeff back to the 2 spot,  what  you think Kirk?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

You can't coach a perimeter team to dominate inside.

This team should 100% have 4-5 more wins, the Bulls OT game wasstolen by the refs on that bogus jump ball, the players choked away the Atlanta 25 point lead, they lost 203 simply by being old and tired on playing too many in too many nights.

There is no better coach out there who would have made this team any better... Doc MAYBE messed up 203 games for losses, but so many more can be blamed on age, the players no showing, (esp Rondo) and the officials.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

This team should 100% have 4-5 more wins, the Bulls OT game wasstolen by the refs on that bogus jump ball, the players choked away the Atlanta 25 point lead, they lost 203 simply by being old and tired on playing too many in too many nights.

There is no better coach out there who would have made this team any better... Doc MAYBE messed up 203 games for losses, but so many more can be blamed on age, the players no showing, (esp Rondo) and the officials.

No but you can coach to get more shots inside,  backdoor cuts and driving to the basket. Too many time we have had a team in foul trouble with 6 minutes left in a quarter and we shoot jumper after jumper.  I would tell our team to take it inside every tiime down to try and take the advantage.  Overall even  though I don't agree with all of Docs moves,  he generally has a reason for it,  and more times than not they are right.

Of course some around here thinks he "doesn't  get it"   or  "doesn't have a clue".  That is the kind of stuff that bugs me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

No but you can coach to get more shots inside,  backdoor cuts and driving to the basket. Too many time we have had a team in foul trouble with 6 minutes left in a quarter and we shoot jumper after jumper.  I would tell our team to take it inside every tiime down to try and take the advantage.  Overall even  though I don't agree with all of Docs moves,  he generally has a reason for it,  and more times than not they are right.

Of course some around here thinks he "doesn't  get it"   or  "doesn't have a clue".  That is the kind of stuff that bugs me.

In a perfect world you would be correct about going inside, but the NBA is hardly perfect.  You're expecting fouls to be called when Celtics players are hit going to the basket, but in reality that's rare.  I can't believe that any other "star" gets beaten up and mugged more than Pierce, but in the last four or so years, he's just not getting the calls.  Compare Pierce's situation to LaQueen's. Every time he is even looked at a foul is called or he pushes someone out of the way and still gets a blocking foul called on the defender.  It's absurd to think that LaQueen doesn't foul for game after game, gets non-existent touch fouls (or he just flops and flops), and Pierce continues to get hammered, clawed, and grabbed without going to the line.  If the refs called straight up games it would follow that going to the rim makes sense; however, the League has a agenda that doesn't include fair play.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from postal5. Show postal5's posts

What changed were his defensive results. According to 82games.com, opposing small forwards mustered only a 7.9 PER against Green with Boston and a 12.2 PER against him with Oklahoma City; the problem was that opposing power forwards shredded him for a 21.6 mark. Similarly, Green's Synergy stats with Boston were strong, whereas with the Thunder they were awful. All of which points to the fact that Green is much better at guarding 3s than 4s.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2011/12/4/2611593/jeff-green-is-a-combo-forward-but-mostly-a-small-forward

Kirk,

Green's terrific improvement in getting into the defensive crouch and staying in front of his man has made not only coverage of a 3 solid, but he can now cover a 2 as you have suggested.  You may have noticed him even staying in front of Ty Lawson in Denver.  Yikes.  I liked that Pierce and Green were in together with no 2 for a few minutes last night.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

FACTS WE KNEW:

4. He is NOT a SG

Green would be best at the 2.

He could defend the 2 and he would overpower other 2s.

Do you really think Lee and Terry are better than Green?

Kirk.

Green is 6 foot 9.  He has never played the 2 in his lfe.

What are you talking about?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from postal5. Show postal5's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

FACTS WE KNEW:

4. He is NOT a SG

Kirk.

Jeff would play 3 on offense while Pierce plays 3.  On D, Jeff covers taller 2's and Paul stays on his usual 3 cover.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from postal5. Show postal5's posts

Oops, I obviously meant Pierce plays 2 on O, and 3 on D, if Jeff is in with Sully or Bass at PF.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to postal5's comment:

FACTS WE KNEW:

4. He is NOT a SG

Kirk.

Jeff would play 3 on offense while Pierce plays 3.  On D, Jeff covers taller 2's and Paul stays on his usual 3 cover.

Why can't Green get minutes at the 3 and the 4 like he always has his entire high school. college and pro career?

He isn't a 2.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

FACTS WE KNEW:

4. He is NOT a SG

Kirk.

Why can't Green get minutes at the 3 and the 4 like he always has his entire high school. college and pro career?

He isn't a 2.  

Kirk & Concord should have a beer summit in which each of them spews inanities @ each other until they slowly ease toward drowning themselves in the pitcher placed before them. I'll give them a pass on other topics but jeez...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

In response to painter's comment:

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

This team should 100% have 4-5 more wins, the Bulls OT game wasstolen by the refs on that bogus jump ball, the play ers choked away the Atlanta 25 point lead, they lost 203 simply by being old and tired on playing too many in too many nights.

In a perfect world you would be correct about going inside, but the NBA is hardly perfect.  You're expecting fouls to be called when Celtics players are hit going to the basket, but in reality that's rare.  I can't believe that any other "star" gets beaten up and mugged more than Pierce, but in the last four or so years, he's just not getting the calls.  Compare Pierce's situation to LaQueen's. Every time he is even looked at a foul is called or he pushes someone out of the way and still gets a blocking foul called on the defender.  It's absurd to think that LaQueen doesn't foul for game after game, gets non-existent touch fouls (or he just flops and flops), and Pierce continues to get hammered, clawed, and grabbed without going to the line.  If the refs called straight up games it would follow that going to the rim makes sense; however, the League has a agenda that doesn't include fair play.

Painter, You are AWESOME! Could'nt have said it better myself. Stern thinks we're all stupid. Why is there NEVER a cinderrella

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Green's PER last month at the four was over 16. His PER at the the three was just over 9.

If he is dimishing signficantly at the 3 why would he be good at the 2?

NOT to mention. HE HAS POOR LATERAL QUICKNESS.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to tomobo's comment:

FACTS WE KNEW:

4. He is NOT a SG

Kirk.

He isn't a 2.  

Kirk & Concord should have a beer summit in which each of them spews inanities @ each other until they slowly ease toward drowning themselves in the pitcher placed before them. I'll give them a pass on other topics but jeez...

What are you talking about?  Regarding Green I have said only he should start.  As far as other inanities I am probably guilty.  That is what this board is about.  You seem to avoid scrutiny here are you that knowledgeable.  Kirk is repetitive but has point of view.  I don't know where I fall but you just don't seem that consequential yourself.  I cannot put my finger on you having any opinion at all.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

In response to tomobo's comment:

FACTS WE KNEW:

4. He is NOT a SG

Kirk.

He isn't a 2.  

What are you talking about?  Regarding Green I have said only he should start.  As far as other inanities I am probably guilty.  That is what this board is about.  You seem to avoid scrutiny here are you that knowledgeable.  Kirk is repetitive but has point of view.  I don't know where I fall but you just don't seem that consequential yourself.  I cannot put my finger on you having any opinion at all.  

He writes about Rondo's cup a lot.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

At this point our starting lineup should be Bradley, Green, Pierce, KG, and Wilcox.

It will never happen though.

Doc Rivers plays favorites with his players.

He let little Rondo ruin the first half of our season.

I wouldn't mind seeing that line up start a few games, to see what they could do.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

The problem with Green & Pierce with K.G. is there is only one ball and Green is an iso player like Pierce. Niether is a quick shooting deep threat so the floor will not be optimally balanced against the good defensive teams. Green does not run the pick n roll with K.G. as well as Pierce. All these little things add up to losses against the tough teams.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:

At this point our starting lineup should be Bradley, Green, Pierce, KG, and Wilcox.

It will never happen though.

Doc Rivers plays favorites with his players.

He let little Rondo ruin the first half of our season.

I wouldn't mind seeing that line up start a few games, to see what they could do.

As we saw in Phoenix mixing up the line up often has beneficial effects.  Doc should try it more often.