Jeff Green Watch

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

Jeff Green Watch

I'm just as mystified as the next guy as to what Jeff Green is actually capable of. The eye test says he should be a lot better, but Im becoming more and more convinced that he may not have the advanced skills, attitude, motor, basketball sense to be anything more than we see.

Rather than guess, I thought that a look at the data, the empirical evidence of the boxscore might reveal something.

According to my own highly unsophisticated analysis of pre-season boxscores, Green ranks dead last amongst his 12 other teammates in an aggregation of boxscore stats.

Assigning a score of 13 to a last place finish and a score of 1 to a first place finish in each of 10 categories, the low score would reveal the best performer to date. The highest score would be the worst.

As it turns out, Green is by far the worst performer. He ranks 13th in FG% and Offensive Rebounds, 11th in Defensive Rebounds, Total Rebounds, and Turnovers, 9th in Steals and 3FG%. Only in Blocked Shots does he reach above average at 3rd.

His score in 10 categories is 94, far and away the worst number. 

FG% 3p% OR DR TR APG SPG BPG TO PPG TOTAL

CRAWFORD                     4        3         9     2      4     2       5      12     12    2       55

SULLINGER                     7       10        2     3      2     9       6      10      8     1       58

PRESSEY                        1         7        8     9     10    1       3       7       6     9       61

BRADLEY                       11        2        5    10      8    4       1       8      10    4        63

OLYNYK                           6        5        6      8      9    5       4       2      13    5        63

WALLACE                      10         6        7      5      6    3       8      12      4     3        64

LEE                                12         4       11     4      7    7       2       9       2     8        66

HUMPHRIES                    5        12         4     7      5   12     10      1       5     7       68

BASS                               9        13         1     1      1    6      12     11      7   10       71

FAVERANI                       8          8         3     6      3    13     11     4        3   13      72

BROOKS                         2         11       10    12    12   10      7     5        5   11       85

BABB                              3           1        12    13    13  11     13    6         1   12      85

GREEN                           13         9        13     11    11   8       9    3        11    6       94

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigsmellybear. Show bigsmellybear's posts

Re: Jeff Green Watch

JEFF GREEN SUCKS!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

You're making this too complicated and extreme. 

Jeff is a (highly) overpaid role player who has the talent to be a star (which is why he sparks your interest sometimes) but the mental makeup of a role player. 

The only problem is overpaying him for what he is and selling others on what he can be. He is what he is. 

He will have the occasional big game and then go back into his shell. 

That's Jeff Green. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You're making this too complicated and extreme. 

Jeff is a (highly) overpaid role player who has the talent to be a star (which is why he sparks your interest sometimes) but the mental makeup of a role player. 

The only problem is overpaying him for what he is and selling others on what he can be. He is what he is. 

He will have the occasional big game and then go back into his shell. 

That's Jeff Green. 

[/QUOTE]

Perfect description. He has the potential and talent but idk if he can reach it. the guy has no left hand and cant hit a shot at times

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mossad-did-911. Show mossad-did-911's posts

i was saying this in the offseason when everyone was talking about jeff green would be an all-star 20ppg scorer. he is OVERRATED and OVER PAYED!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mossad-did-911. Show mossad-did-911's posts

once he has a couple nice fluke games trade him!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fedup13. Show fedup13's posts

trade him

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

yeah to quote simmons, the 4-10M guys are good not great guys. Good players. Not allstars. Not franchise players. Good players.

Jeff is a good player. Just like Bradley, he's being played outside of his role and is looking worse than he really is.

But also, I am a big believer in Jeff being a momentum guy. Itll take him a few months to get rolling but I bet he works his way up to an easy 20 & 4 a night in the spring

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mossad-did-911. Show mossad-did-911's posts

"yeah to quote simmons, the 4-10M guys are good not great guys. Good players. Not allstars. Not franchise players. Good players."

there's a large gap between $4M and $10M per. at 27 years old and making $9.5M/per you better be starting! green looks like a bench player, and bench players aren't worth $9.5M. i don't care what mr. simmons says. if Jeff Green was making $4M, $5M, $6M, even $7M then i would agree 100% and be happy with green. but at $9.5M he is overpayed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Green can be the go-to guy on the Celtics, hes got the tools. Now the coach has to decide if he wants that and put the weight on Greens shoulders to perform.

Since Greens been here he couldnt make the starting lineup and too many stars for him to assume the role plus having a dopey coach didnt help either

Now the Big 3 are gone and the ball hog sidelined... If the coach wants it, this is JG's time to fly... can he be fairly consistent?? So far the record says no... Id like to roll the dice one more time and give him a shot

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Green can be the go-to guy on the Celtics, hes got the tools. Now the coach has to decide if he wants that and put the weight on Greens shoulders to perform.

Since Greens been here he couldnt make the starting lineup and too many stars for him to assume the role plus having a dopey coach didnt help either

Now the Big 3 are gone and the ball hog sidelined... If the coach wants it, this is JG's time to fly... can he be fairly consistent?? So far the record says no... Id like to roll the dice one more time and give him a shot

[/QUOTE]

It isn't on "the coach". Green needs to play better. Green has always needed to play better, no matter what coach he had.

As Trollspanker said he is what he is. He is a role player...and that isn't the coaches fault.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"yeah to quote simmons, the 4-10M guys are good not great guys. Good players. Not allstars. Not franchise players. Good players."

there's a large gap between $4M and $10M per. at 27 years old and making $9.5M/per you better be starting! green looks like a bench player, and bench players aren't worth $9.5M. i don't care what mr. simmons says. if Jeff Green was making $4M, $5M, $6M, even $7M then i would agree 100% and be happy with green. but at $9.5M he is overpayed.

[/QUOTE]

uh no...

That does not make him a bench player. That make's him a 3rd or 4th option as a starter... 

The issue is we currently have a ton of 4th option players. Rondo will come back as a legit #2. We just need a go to SG, Center or PF. 

This team also has like 4 or 5 guys who are legit 6th men.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

We'll draft that guy this year and by 3 years from now we'll be competitive at least.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I agree with those who say that Green is a role player.  He can score when he feels like it and he has the athleticism to stay with anyone on defense if he really wants to.  His best fit is on a team with a KG, PP and other established vets to lead the way.  He may be slightly overpaid, but I find that problem secondary to the fact that this team has lots of role players and maybe one core player in Rondo.  Green is not leading this team to anywhere except the lottery.    

JG will look like Worthy one night and then disappear the next.  We'll see what the season holds, but I'd be surprised if JG can bring it for 82 games.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

None of the NBA All Stars are putting up big numbers in preseason... like summer league, its foolish to draw any conclusions from preseason play.  

Jeff is a superb athlete and has the inherent skills to be all star caliber.  Last year he was the number 4 guy on the team.  and he played inconsistently.

This year he is assumed to be the number one guy, but has not shot well nor has he taken control - and he is the focus of the opposing defense.  He needs to get used to that and Stevens needs to create plays to free him up.  Again, its early.  That is what preseason is about.  It is reason for concern but WAY TOO EARLY to write him off.

I still expect Jeff to be the teams leading scorer and to show up most every night when the real season starts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

It continues to be said that because Green is a great athlete, he's therefore a great player, but one who just doesn't feel like playing all the time. 

Two things.

If your definition of a 'great athlete' is 'run fast/jump high,' then, yes, Green is a great athlete. But that's a faulty, anemic definition coined by announcers describing highlight dunks or blocked shots. Somehow it's stuck, but it makes no sense. A zillion guys can 'run and jump' who can't play basketball a lick. Just look around the NBA and NCAA. Every team has handfuls of those guys. 

And of those who can run and jump, many can only run and jump. You ever see some of them play another sport? Any other sport? I've seen incredibly athletic NBA guys who can't throw a baseball let alone hit one, can't hit a tennis ball, throw or catch a football (see Carl Lewis throw out a first pitch)

Second. If 'run and jump' is your definition that would make Steve Nash a poor athlete. He actually may be the very best athlete in the NBA based on the number of sports he can play at near-professional level - soccer, hockey, lacrosse, golf, tennis, etc. 

So let's add timing, stamina, strength, vision, intuition, hand-eye-foot coordination, courage, aggressiveness, creativity, and a high motor to the qualities a great athlete possesses. 

When Green gets tough rebounds, makes clever passes, clutch stops, 3-point plays in traffic, handles the ball cleverly, engages with the game and with his teamates, and plays with a take-no-prisoners attitude, then I would say he has the skills of a star player.

But I don't think any of that is in there. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Celtics fans are amazing.   Preseason where coaches play inconsitent minutes with all kinds of combinations and stars sitting games and the folks here are freaking out saying Green sucks.  Probably same people who said it at the beginning of the last season...Then, as he got stronger as the season went on - the naysayers said "wow, he should play more and Doc should sit Pierce". 

Patience, folks, patience.  The season hasn't even started and the coach is just trying things.  Heck, they haven't even been using this coach's plays for more than a few weeks!!!!   

Please calm down, fans.  Let's give the coach and his players a chance.   We're going to see a lot of experimenting.

Pierce had 6 points so far tonight, Garnett has 2 and last game all game he had 4 points.   Its pre-season, not one's doing anything but getting in shape.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Wallace should start and Green should be his backup.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to melswitt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

None of the NBA All Stars are putting up big numbers in preseason... like summer league, its foolish to draw any conclusions from preseason play.  

Jeff is a superb athlete and has the inherent skills to be all star caliber.  Last year he was the number 4 guy on the team.  and he played inconsistently.

This year he is assumed to be the number one guy, but has not shot well nor has he taken control - and he is the focus of the opposing defense.  He needs to get used to that and Stevens needs to create plays to free him up.  Again, its early.  That is what preseason is about.  It is reason for concern but WAY TOO EARLY to write him off.

I still expect Jeff to be the teams leading scorer and to show up most every night when the real season starts.

[/QUOTE]
    I usually agree with you Dunkmaster, but I just haven't liked what I've seen of the guy...he's not got the heart of a lion, no pun intended...he's S-O-F-T...and he's the most inconsistent player I've ever seen on the C's over the past ten years, at least in terms of guys who are suppossed to be big time contributors...

[/QUOTE]

Mels.  I don't disagree that he has been inconsistent and plays soft.  I have been disappointed with his play too...BUT with motivated coaching, his POTENTIAL, and expectations that he needs to step up as the go-to guy, I'm not giving up on him yet.  I think he can do it.  If he doesn't turn his game around by December, then I'll be all over his buttock area too.        

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.  The guys that are going beyond their perceived capabilities are trying to stick with teams for the most part or make a case for more playing time during the season.  Gauging Green by pre-season games is like expecting Lester to throw no-hitters in late February and then calling him a bum because he doesn't.  Green can be electric, but he can't be 100% of the time.  There aren't many players who can keep taking the ball inside time after time for big dunks and sprinkle in made 3-pointers at a frightening rate, but that seems to be what people are expecting from him.  As much as I believe that LaQueen has done serious harm to the game - travels, forearms to defenders, not being called for obvious fouls, and whining like a little girl, he has enormous talent.  Jeff Green for all of his virtues (I'll allow other to list his "faults"), isn't LaQueen.  No one else is either.  If the Celtics can ultimately surround Green and Rondo with high grade talent (aside: I like what Brooks showed last night) through the draft, free agency, and/or trades, Green's team game will shine. Expecting him to solely carry an enormous load among players on the current roster is too much to ask.  I prefer to remember his playoff games, when there were other dominant (or could have been if he hadn't been asked to be a point forward) guys on the floor with him.  If Green were playing with all-stars, he would play like an all-star, but alone, not so much.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Love that Lester in Febuary analogy :)

It's preseason with a new collection of players, we're missing an All Star pg and a new coach. Calm down already!

The way I see it, this preseason may last until mid December for us as far as tinkering with line ups , players roles and styles. I think we've shown a vast improvement most games in cohesiveness on both ends of the floor. It's not the start of the race that counts it's the finish.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Why calm down. Gerald Wallace is in the same boat as Jeff only when Wallace plays he is highly effective in EVERY ASPECT of the game. He is DECISIVE when he is on the court, with or without the ball. That is floor leadership. Jeff is very indecisive in most aspects, and that is what everyone is essentially coplaining about. Not making up his mind to get points for himself or others. He looks like he is slowly making things up as he goes along. No plan of attack and it shows.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Love that Lester in Febuary analogy :)

It's preseason with a new collection of players, we're missing an All Star pg and a new coach. Calm down already!

The way I see it, this preseason may last until mid December for us as far as tinkering with line ups , players roles and styles. I think we've shown a vast improvement most games in cohesiveness on both ends of the floor. It's not the start of the race that counts it's the finish.

[/QUOTE]

Thats a very good point.  Our preseason may actually extend to Febrruary, assuming there are trades and personnel changes at Dec. AND Feb. trade deadlines.  Until then, focus on player development (even Green) and building chemistry with the core group, learning a new system and creating a new culture.  With key trades, a quality FA and two contributors from the draft  next year we're back in the playoffs maybe.