Jeff Green's claim to leadership

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

Jeff Green's claim to leadership

‘‘With what I've done throughout this league, I'm going to have to be a leader on this team.’’ 

Oh, my!  

To a fan, teammate, coach, even a casual observer of human nature, that statement says a lot more than what it says.

He could have said, "I am a leader,"  "I want to be a leader," "I'm going to be a leader." "I am leading as we speak." 

Instead, he said, "I'm going to have to be a leader."  "Have to be?"

He might well have said, "I guess it'll have to be me based on my experience being comfortable as a third or fourth option so far in my career, but remember, I'm only doing this by default."

Given the lack of rebounding, shooting accuracy, playmaking ability, and just plain energy he has displayed in the pre-season, it's difficult to identify Green as a leader. In fact, most of the time in any game he seems almost preternaturally detached from the entire proceeding, his teammates most of all. Nothing about his game, even when he's on one of his infrequent rolls, instills confidence.

Players lead in different ways - the dive on the floor hustle guy, the constant talker/motivator, the guy who's first in and last out, the gym-rat, the quiet guy just plays efficiently and consistently, the fierce competitor, the perfectionist who masters his craft, the manic defender/rebounder, the body of work reputation guy, the guy who never takes a possession off at either end. KG was almost all of the above. Ray Allen and Paul Pierce were each at least four of these. Rondo is a few of these. So is Gerald Wallace.

I can't say that Jeff Green is even one of them. To be a leader you have to step out of yourself, you've got to present something more than just being there.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Re: Jeff Green's claim to leadership

You're absolutely right. Jeff is 100% a follower, not a leader. Don't get me wrong, he's a productive follower, but he can't lead others. He can't inspire others to achieve greatness. Jeff needs guys like Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce to be the vocal leader and lead by example in order for him to achieve his potential. Otherwise, he is a player that dissapears into the background.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RicosUncle. Show RicosUncle's posts

GREEN SUCKS!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

JG is probably repeating what Brad has said is going to be his role.

Typically leaders don't have to be told to lead... they just do it naturally.

Lets see what you can do, uncle jeff. Go get 'em!

Pud 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mossad-did-911. Show mossad-did-911's posts

looking like the same passive, out of control jeff green to me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

JG is gonna have to be the man this year

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

2 on a scale of 10

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RicosUncle. Show RicosUncle's posts

Again, I say,

JEFF GREEN SUCKS