Jermaine O'Neal looked good tonite.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Re: Jermaine O'Neal looked good tonite.

He didn't play well, but Shaq did.  He needs to get his game legs going.  Once he does, he will contribute.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

I still prefer having Jermaine O'Neal over Theo Ratliff or Juwan Howard as backup Center. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

In Response to Jermaine O'Neal looked good tonite.:
    [QUOTE]         Jermaine was a real "positive force" for the Celtics tonite. In 12:47 he was 0-3 from the floor and 1-2 from the foul line for 1 point. He had a total of 2 rebounds. Some of the positives are {1} on his three wide open jump shots from about 7 feet he hit the rim each time. {2} when he shot his jump shot he got at least 4 inches off the ground after "gathering himself" for about 2 seconds before actually shooting the ball. {3} in the history of the league I've seen a few guys with less "lift" on their shot and when "elevating." I don't remember who they are but there must be a couple. I was kind of worried after the Celtics picked up Jermaine last summer because of his performance in the play-offs last year when he was 5-32 from the floor and gave arguably the worst performance in post season history but now that I've seen his quickness and ability to move there is nothing to be worried about...................Can you tell me who does what's his names hair? Is that a hair net he wears? Nice.
    Posted by walton[/QUOTE]
    My goodness. The Celtics just won a big home opener and you're already trash talking certain Celtic players. Think about it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtsfan4ever. Show celtsfan4ever's posts

hey walton go and complain somewhere else we won a big game and your crying

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kobetheman. Show kobetheman's posts

In Response to Jermaine O'Neal looked good tonite.:
    [QUOTE]         Jermaine was a real "positive force" for the Celtics tonite. In 12:47 he was 0-3 from the floor and 1-2 from the foul line for 1 point. He had a total of 2 rebounds. Some of the positives are {1} on his three wide open jump shots from about 7 feet he hit the rim each time. {2} when he shot his jump shot he got at least 4 inches off the ground after "gathering himself" for about 2 seconds before actually shooting the ball. {3} in the history of the league I've seen a few guys with less "lift" on their shot and when "elevating." I don't remember who they are but there must be a couple. I was kind of worried after the Celtics picked up Jermaine last summer because of his performance in the play-offs last year when he was 5-32 from the floor and gave arguably the worst performance in post season history but now that I've seen his quickness and ability to move there is nothing to be worried about...................Can you tell me who does what's his names hair? Is that a hair net he wears? Nice.
    Posted by walton[/QUOTE]
    Oh please!  Enough of the nonsense!!  This guy is washed up and will spend half of the season on the bench with some sort of injury. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

In Response to Re: Jermaine O'Neal looked good tonite.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Jermaine O'Neal looked good tonite. : Oh please!  Enough of the nonsense!!  This guy is washed up and will spend half of the season on the bench with some sort of injury. 
    Posted by kobetheman[/QUOTE]

Have to agree kobe, JO is a stiff. Didn't want him in the first place in the C's but DA got desperate because he needed someone to help overcome your back to back World Champion Lakers and their length in the paint.

Shaq at 38 is easily better than JO in his prime.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Jermaine O'Neal looked good tonite. : Oh please!  Enough of the nonsense!!  This guy is washed up and will spend half of the season on the bench with some sort of injury. 
    Posted by kobetheman[/QUOTE]

I think you missed the part where walton was being sarcastic :-/

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhiskeyB. Show WhiskeyB's posts

Gotta love his history too. It's hard not to root for a guy who climbed into the stands to beat the shiz outta some fan,

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

J O'Neal has had (surprise) health issues in preseason.  But to have a player of his ilk as a bench player is not a bad thing.  He is an old 31 or 32 y.o. guy, but he'll be able to play 20+ minutes a game and give the C's a defensive/rebounding presence.  Someone mentioned Theo Ratliff and the Lakers.  When is the last time Ratliff was able to be relied upon consistently?  As a Laker troll I'm sure you'd rather have Ratliff than J.O.?   Not me bub.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Ive been posting about concern over JO in the past couple weeks. He hasnt looked like much all preseason. Maybe hes got to get in shape or maybe this is it.  Bottom line is its still way to early to make a judgement.  Lets give him 20+ games and see whats up.  Cant get much worse, lots of upside.

In the meantime, Shaq is so much fun to watch play from every aspect (except FT's) and Big Baby can play the 5 also and do well.

With Erden maybe getting some time, we can carry JO until he emerges, if ever.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

Jermaine O'Neal - Official Whipping Boy!!!  Two rebounds and two blocks and zero points in limited action. 

What did you expect from the 3rd string center?  I'm not talking about Perk either.  Shaq's the starter and BBD or KG is the second stringer(see who's on the floor at the end of the game) and then there is JO, at least for the time being.

Has Danny overpaid him?  Undoubtedly.  Was it necessary?  Probably.  Is JO the trade chip at the deadline once Perk is back?  Most definitely!!!

Just some thoughts.

PA

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2010/10/26/kendrick-perkins-eyes-late-january-return/

JO might not even be as important if Perk comes back right before the All-Star break.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhol. Show jhol's posts

[QUOTE]Jermaine O'Neal - Official Whipping Boy!!!  Two rebounds and two blocks and zero points in limited action.  What did you expect from the 3rd string center?  I'm not talking about Perk either.  Shaq's the starter and BBD or KG is the second stringer(see who's on the floor at the end of the game) and then there is JO, at least for the time being. Has Danny overpaid him?  Undoubtedly.  Was it necessary?  Probably.  Is JO the trade chip at the deadline once Perk is back?  Most definitely!!! Just some thoughts. PA
    Posted by PACelt[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% about the trade chip possibility. Once Perk is back, we are too deep at that position.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: the J.O. trade chip possibility, I think you can never have enough front court depth and what do you all really think you're gonna get in return for him?  I think he plays here for two years and the team says thanks for the help after the big 3 move on. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

JON will not be a trade chip.  He's due almost $12 million this season and next and nobody will trade for that salary.  Then again, even at his age and with his history of injuries, you won't get a better 4th or 5th big with the experience or skillset of JON.  What the Celtics will need most from JON is exactly what he gave us yesterday.  And that folks is DEFENSE.

We aren't looking for JON to give us 10 points off the bench.  He blocked two shots yesterday in his very limited time.  His shot was obviously off but for the first game of the season, I'll take his defensive effort over him nailing some short jumpers.  The legs and the strength on offense will come in time but playing that defense is there.  He blocks shots and will thus altar many others and that is what we should appreciate after ONE GAME!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhiskeyB. Show WhiskeyB's posts

I wouldn't get your hopes too high about anything Perk will give us this season. ACL recoveries are no joke. I'm currently on my third right now so I have some insights about it. It's way harder for a big guy. He's got more weight for that knee to support than somebody like Welker. The tacky surface of the court will prevent Perk from getting any real ups on his jumps lest he screw up the landing. Every step on the court his shoes will stick and there's the potential he could twist his knee and tear it again. The reason you saw KG fall over so much last season on alley-oop attempts is because he didn't want to risk his knee while landing. It'll be the same with Perk. He'll jump straight up and down but he won't be jumping to the side or high in any kind of traffic. So don't expect lots of rebounds or blocked shots. On the flip side, he'll be much better next season and watch out for KG this season. At any rate, I wish Perk the best in his recovery and hope he can prove me wrong. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhol. Show jhol's posts

[QUOTE]JON will not be a trade chip.  He's due almost $12 million this season and next and nobody will trade for that salary.  Then again, even at his age and with his history of injuries, you won't get a better 4th or 5th big with the experience or skillset of JON.  What the Celtics will need most from JON is exactly what he gave us yesterday.  And that folks is DEFENSE. We aren't looking for JON to give us 10 points off the bench.  He blocked two shots yesterday in his very limited time.  His shot was obviously off but for the first game of the season , I'll take his defensive effort over him nailing some short jumpers.  The legs and the strength on offense will come in time but playing that defense is there.  He blocks shots and will thus altar many others and that is what we should appreciate after ONE GAME!
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

Thnks Petey -- good post and I retract. It's easy to look ahead too far, and get caught up. Wishful thinking to even hope Perk will be a factor this year, so we are going to need JO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

jhol, thanks.  We will definitely need JON this season.  I heard Perk is eyeing a return in January.  I think it would be smart for him to wait until March and use that time to get back into game shape in preparation for the playoffs.  There isn't much we ask of Perk so regaining that strength to be a solid defender is what we'll need from him and we can afford to wait until March.

My only wish is that JON, Shaq, Quis, Perk and all are "healthy" come playoff time.  I say that now but when we go through those challenging times and lose at home to Toronto or Memphis again, I'll sing a different tune.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]jhol, thanks.  We will definitely need JON this season. 
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

sad as it is, JON as ugly as it was last night is still better than perk the second half of last year.  and i'm sure we'll see better shooting touch from jerlame before it's all done.  the big question is durability. 

as it was, a lump of stone was looking better than perkins much of the second half of last year.  and now with a busted up knee perk is going to come back and even hold the line with his old mobility levels?  not likely.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

When Perk comes back Jermaine will be the third string center.  And he will be the best third string center in the league.

Dont get me wrong he doesn't have much left but the point is he is going to be the 10 or 11th guy off the bench.  So what are you complaining about?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

[QUOTE]I still prefer having Jermaine O'Neal over Theo Ratliff or Juwan Howard as backup Center. 
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

The Lakers front line of Odom, Bynum, and Gasol is the best front court in basketball. Ratliff is third string.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

JO blocked two shots right of the bat in the game.  I think this guy will be a help when all is said and done.  I am surprised nobody saw anything postive.  He can't score but he can block shots in the interior. In spots this guy will be a help.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tachometrix. Show Tachometrix's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jermaine O'Neal looked good tonite. : The Lakers front line of Odom, Bynum, and Gasol is the best front court in basketball. Ratliff is third string.
    Posted by Give-in-to-it[/QUOTE]

Ratliff played more minutes than Barnes against the Rockets. I don't think he's 3rd string. 

In case you were too young to remember, the Lakers once had a Center like Andrew Bynum in the mid-90s. His name is Sam Bowie.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jermaine O'Neal looked good tonite. : Ratliff played more minutes than Barnes against the Rockets. I don't think he's 3rd string.  In case you were too young to remember, the Lakers once had a Center like Andrew Bynum in the mid-90s. His name is Sam Bowie.
    Posted by Tachometrix[/QUOTE]

Well lets review. Shaq is the oldest player in the league, has lost most of his explosiveness, and will probably get nicked and miss some games. Jermaine is a shell of his former self, and will probably be dragging some part of his body around with him, when he isn't sidelined. Perkins is coming off reconstructive knee surgery that will probably take him two years to become himself again, like everyone everyone else who has their knee reconstructed. 

Call me a cynic, but I will take my chances with Bynum, Gasol, and Odom, the best front court in the game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tachometrix. Show Tachometrix's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jermaine O'Neal looked good tonite. :  Call me a cynic, but I will take my chances with Bynum, Gasol, and Odom, the best front court in the game.
    Posted by Give-in-to-it[/QUOTE]

Didn't you see the game last night? I never saw Bynum play against the Rockets. So right now it's Gasol, Odom, and Ratliff, right?