JO Decision

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetruth007. Show lovetruth007's posts

Re: JO Decision

A terrible signing and a waste of money no matter what.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

He needs to put the surgery off, even if it means playing 5 games, sitting 5 games, playing 5 games, etc.

Once Perkins comes back, the Celtics don't need O'Neal to always be on the active roster. He could take turns with Erden and still contribute as a rebounder and shotblocker in brief spurts. In the post-season, he could hopefully buck it up and provide an extra body for fouls.

In retrospect, Jermaine O'Neal wasn't a great signing, but that doesn't mean the Celtics can't use him at all. Even if the Celtics can only have him at 40% strength, that's still better than what they'd find with a scrapheap pickup. Keep in mind, he'd only be the third-string center anyway behind Perkins and Shaq, maybe fourth-string if Erden continues to develop.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: JO Decision:
    [QUOTE]He needs to put the surgery off, even if it means playing 5 games, sitting 5 games, playing 5 games, etc. Once Perkins comes back, the Celtics don't need O'Neal to always be on the active roster. He could take turns with Erden and still contribute as a rebounder and shotblocker in brief spurts. In the post-season, he could hopefully buck it up and provide an extra body for fouls. In retrospect, Jermaine O'Neal wasn't a great signing, but that doesn't mean the Celtics can't use him at all. Even if the Celtics can only have him at 40% strength, that's still better than what they'd find with a scrapheap pickup. Keep in mind, he'd only be the third-string center anyway behind Perkins and Shaq, maybe fourth-string if Erden continues to develop.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

Good post.

If we can get 4-5 minutes per half from him, Ill take it. Depends upon if his knee can even take that much.  Maybe it gets so bad he needs 2 weeks off after every 10 min stretch.. then might as well dump him and find someone else off the junk heap to hack-a-Bynum or Howard

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

The problem is you never know when you can get those 4-5 mins. You can't have guys you can't depend on. Doc likes ruitine and we all know he substitutes with a certain rotation method.

I guess it could work until April but Doc is going to use 8 maybe 9 guys in the playoffs and that's it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I agree that Jermaine should bite the bullet until Perk comes back and shows he can play. You never know how long it will take Perk to get back into game shape. After Perks return he should have the surgery. If it's just a small cartlidge tear, it's not a big deal. I used to play with torn cartlidge until it got to the point when I couldn't anymore. Thats when I had surgery. I did it 2x. If I can do it for free, Jermaine can do it for  6 million per season. His career is near its end anyway.
       Pain killers are not the ticket. Icing the knee for swelling and wearing a brace are the 2 most important things to do when playing with torn cartlidge. It's not rocket science.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Yeah all of that is true Mem17 but no one can force the player to do anything. THis is why I keep saying JON needs to have some intestinal fortitude and do what it takes to play through pain if he's not going to have the surgery. Sitting around thinking about what to do, getting more and more Dr's opinions isn't going to change the situation. Control the swelling, take some practices off and treat the knee.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah all of that is true Mem17 but no one can force the player to do anything. THis is why I keep saying JON needs to have some intestinal fortitude and do what it takes to play through pain if he's not going to have the surgery. Sitting around thinking about what to do, getting more and more Dr's opinions isn't going to change the situation. Control the swelling, take some practices off and treat the knee.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]
       I agree with you Bias.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah all of that is true Mem17 but no one can force the player to do anything. THis is why I keep saying JON needs to have some intestinal fortitude and do what it takes to play through pain if he's not going to have the surgery. Sitting around thinking about what to do, getting more and more Dr's opinions isn't going to change the situation. Control the swelling, take some practices off and treat the knee.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

Easy for us to say....we don't have all the facts, right?  We're not sitting there listening to the doctors tell him the pros and cons, recovery times, possibility of reoccurance, long term damage from playing through it, etc.  I don't blame him for taking a few days to think it through.  I just don't think he should take too long.  These decisions cannot be made in haste.  If he takes more than another 3 or 4 days, I'll agree he's taking too long.  But, right now, I think he's being prudent to think it through.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: JO Decision : Easy for us to say....we don't have all the facts, right?  We're not sitting there listening to the doctors tell him the pros and cons, recovery times, possibility of reoccurance, long term damage from playing through it, etc.  I don't blame him for taking a few days to think it through.  I just don't think he should take too long.  These decisions cannot be made in haste.  If he takes more than another 3 or 4 days, I'll agree he's taking too long.  But, right now, I think he's being prudent to think it through.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Bias just wants JO out of Boston so that the Celtics can already sign Mikki Moore.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

He needs to put the surgery off, even if it means playing 5 games, sitting 5 games, playing 5 games, etc.

Once Perkins comes back, the Celtics don't need O'Neal to always be on the active roster. He could take turns with Erden and still contribute as a rebounder and shotblocker in brief spurts. In the post-season, he could hopefully buck it up and provide an extra body for fouls.

In retrospect, Jermaine O'Neal wasn't a great signing, but that doesn't mean the Celtics can't use him at all. Even if the Celtics can only have him at 40% strength, that's still better than what they'd find with a scrapheap pickup. Keep in mind, he'd only be the third-string center anyway behind Perkins and Shaq, maybe fourth-string if Erden continues to develop.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"A terrible signing and a waste of money no matter what."

Sure looks that way now. But if you're under the illusion that you can always know how things are going to work out in sports, you are not cut out for sports management. I like the signings of both O'Neals, hoping they would both work out but knowing that we probably only needed one of them to work out. That's how Ainge approached it and that's how you should good. 

Otherwise you're expecting Ainge to bat 1000 and that never gonna happen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SusanLovesCelts. Show SusanLovesCelts's posts

[QUOTE]" A terrible signing and a waste of money no matter what." Sure looks that way now. But if you're under the illusion that you can always know how things are going to work out in sports, you are not cut out for sports management. I like the signings of both O'Neals, hoping they would both work out but knowing that we probably only needed one of them to work out. That's how Ainge approached it and that's how you should good.  Otherwise you're expecting Ainge to bat 1000 and that never gonna happen.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

I wish there was some way we could get Marc Gasol.  Btw, why the anti-Flo avatar?  I think she's adorable!! Kiss

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I would like Marc Gasol. I think Memphis wants to unload Zach and not Gasol. I doubt they let both go.

The C's need to land one perennial All Star young big in the next few years.