Johnny Most story

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Johnny Most story

As a kid I lived in NJ but was always a Celtic fan since the mid 60's.  Id go in my dads bedroom and tune in WBZ, barely audible with static and had to turn the dial just right to hear it. Well, Id lay there listening to Johnny describe the game and Id blood would boil. Man, those refs are cheating us! Kuberski just got clobbered!!  This went on for a few years listening to Johnnys ... STOPS!! POPS!! BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny was the best homer radio broadcaster in history but I didnt know that at the time. I just knew all the refs names, like Mendy Rudolph, that were trying to stealsgames from the Celtics.  Then on Sunday afternoon I was watching a game on ABC, I think Keith Jackson (the college football announcer) was calling it and I thought to myself.. Id rather hear Johnny Most call the game so I brought my dads radio into the living room, turned the voice down on the TV and listened.

Well, I thought Johnny was watching a different game LOL  If a Celtic drove the lane and was brushed by a defender, Most would scream HAVLICEK WAS JUST MUGGED AND NO CALL!!!!!  Thats when I realized how Johnny Most called a game and it helped my blood pressure when listening to him on the radio from then on...

Years later I met Most at a Knicks game... went down to the floor and shook his hand... I always thought Marv Albert was the best radio boradcaster ever (even though I hated the KNicks) but nobody compares to Johnny Most when it came to calling it the Celtics way... 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Re: Johnny Most story

"High above courtside"......I remembering listening to Johnny as well.....when our point guard would dribble outside as he tried to set up a play....Johnny called it "diddling & daddling"......he called Ruland and Mahorn "McFilthy and McNasty"....he once called Wilt a dirty player for "hitting Russell in the elbow with his eye".....good old Johnny made Phil Rizutto sound like he was unbiased in comparison!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from campari. Show campari's posts

In Response to Re: Johnny Most story:
    [QUOTE]"when our point guard would dribble outside as he tried to set up a play....Johnny called it "diddling & daddling".....[/QUOTE]

wasn't it 'fiddle' and diddle'?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

....probably both....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Since both Most and Hearn are now announcing that playoff game in the sky, I must say Mychal Thompson makes Tommy Heinsohn look objective.  He is the worst color commentator I have heard since "MJ" played for  Da Bulls!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: Johnny Most story:
    [QUOTE]Johnny Most sounded like a cranky old parrot, the kind you hear at a bar screamining at the tv. He was absolutely the worst announcer in the history of sports. He couldn't carry Chick Hearns shorts.
    Posted by Lakerstroll[/QUOTE]

Most was a great radio broadcaster of Celtic games... only he called a different game than what was happening on the floor. lol  But he had a nice rythym and plenty of stuff that I believe was original... like the stops, pops, BANG!! 

Once I heard him call young Cowens going for a rebound at Boston garden against the Knicks. I listened to Most on the radio and watched the game on TV.  Cowens went up and grabbed the rebound even though Willis Reed had position on him.  Johnny Most called it... REBOUND COWENS...then in that higher pitched, losing his voice yell TWO FEET OVER REED!! Actually the ball just happened to be a long rebound and came to Cowens, even though he had to jump and got up higher than Reed.

Johnny Most loved to exaggerate but his game calling was exciting, if u were a Celtic fan

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Right on Karl.....that's how I remember Johnny.....he was a one of a kind....