Josh Smith Talks are on again.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

Josh Smith Talks are on again.

If the Celtics can unload Pierce to a team with enough cap space to absorb his salary, they will get a trade exception worth Pierce’s salary, or $15.3 million. And if that happens, the plan is already in place. According to a source, the Celtics have a sign-and-trade offer ready for Atlanta forward Josh Smith that would be the top priority in free agencySporting News

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Re: Josh Smith Talks are on again.

I kinda want the Celts to tank - but I'd be down to watch Rondo/Bradley/Green/Smith/Garnett next season

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Well if that's the case, then my draft board is toast and the Celtics will not select Plumlee or any other PF and Rondo could very well stay on the Cs long term with his BFF, much to my chagrin.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

I agree..tanking or not, it would be nice and exciting if Josh makes it to BOS

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Keeping KG and Rondo allows the C's to have their own version of a Big 3 provided they add J.Smoove or a Paul Milsap type player! Unfortunately PP leaving is the only way to accomplish this. I don't know what comepensation ATL would get for cooperating in the sign and trade scenario. The 2015 draft choice they would be getting from the Clips? The #16 in this years draft? The expiring contract of Chris Wilcox? Lot's of options..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

No one would like this deal more than Carmelo Anthony.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Josh Smith may be the most physically gifted PF-type players in the game, but he also possesses a poor basketbal IQ and is a bit of a freelancer offensively.  Not sure he gets the C's where they want to go, which is back in contention in the east.  The Sporting News ceased being relevant to me a long time ago, so we'll see if they are even close to correct with this rumour. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to MitchUnderpants's comment:

Why?

Anthony would no doubt prefer to face a slowed down 6'6" 36 year old Pierce who pooped the bed in the playoffs this year than a younger, faster, more athletic player than himself in the 6'8" Smith. A guy who over his career has averaged 8 rebs, 2.1 blocks and 1.3 steals compared to 6 rebs, 0.6 blocks and 1.4 steals by Pierce.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

In response to MitchUnderpants's comment:

[QUOTE]

Why?

Anthony would no doubt prefer to face a slowed down 6'6" 36 year old Pierce who pooped the bed in the playoffs this year than a younger, faster, more athletic player than himself in the 6'8" Smith. A guy who over his career has averaged 8 rebs, 2.1 blocks and 1.3 steals compared to 6 rebs, 0.6 blocks and 1.4 steals by Pierce.

[/QUOTE]

+1

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Oh boy do I want this to go down!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

I guess you missed the Hawks-Knicks highlights on Sportscenter.  Melo torched him, exposing his D.  Smith's stock immediately took a hit and he wound up staying in ATL.

Jeff Green is better than Josh Smith.  But it doesn't matter.  Pierce won't let this happen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

In response to MitchUnderpants' comment:

I guess you missed the Hawks-Knicks highlights on Sportscenter.  Melo torched him, exposing his D.  Smith's stock immediately took a hit and he wound up staying in ATL.

Jeff Green is better than Josh Smith.  But it doesn't matter.  Pierce won't let this happen.

One time? ..Gotta remember, Josh Smith has been an unhappy camper in ATL for the longest.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

I guess you missed the Hawks-Knicks highlights on Sportscenter. Melo torched him, exposing his D. Smith's stock immediately took a hit and he wound up staying in ATL.

Jeff Green is better than Josh Smith. But it doesn't matter. Pierce won't let this happen

No he isnt.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

The Celtics will need a real strong coach to deal with Rondo and Smith but I'd rather have the talent and worry about how to manage it than not have it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

In response to gman101019's comment:

I guess you missed the Hawks-Knicks highlights on Sportscenter. Melo torched him, exposing his D. Smith's stock immediately took a hit and he wound up staying in ATL.

Jeff Green is better than Josh Smith. But it doesn't matter. Pierce won't let this happen

No he isnt.

Oh, yeah, I forgot.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

Josh Smith may be the most physically gifted PF-type players in the game, but he also possesses a poor basketbal IQ and is a bit of a freelancer offensively.  Not sure he gets the C's where they want to go, which is back in contention in the east.  The Sporting News ceased being relevant to me a long time ago, so we'll see if they are even close to correct with this rumour. 

Kind of agree. I really wanted the C's to get J. Smith last year when there was the potential of also landing his buddy DH too.

However, when I saw Doc rolling his eyes when talking about him this past season, I realized that it's more DA & RR who really wanted J. Smith on the team which might be one of the reasons why Doc wanted out.

That said, I'm not sure if it's a good fit moving forward with RR & J. Smith running the show and Doc, PP, and possibly KG not here to straigthen them out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

I need some help with the capologist on the board here.

I am confused by the articles' explaination (or lack of ) as to how the Celtics can get Smith.

I understand we can trade Pierce and his $15M + contract to team with the cap space (say cleveland)

but how does that get us enough space to sign Smith for $15M or there abouts?

I saw the term "trade exception" but I am not clear what that even means.

so my quesitions are;

1) why couldn't we just Sign Smith?

2) if we have to TRADE for him , what do we have to TRADE in a sign and trade ( do players traded have to add up to his first year contract? a "tarde exception" whatever that is and how does THAT work/).

3) if we only have to send a "trade exception" why would Atlanta want to do it?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I need someone to explain to me how Jeff Green and Josh Smith can co-exist. Is this just a radical idea crazy enough to work?

IF there isn't some mystical chemistry with having two SF/PF type guys be your SF and your PF, then why Smith? If you're looking to replace Jeff Green, I ask why? Hasn't Jeff been as good as Josh this past year? Jeff is being paid 9MPY and you're going to go pay smith 12-15M? Just because Rondo and Smith played together half a decade ago?

I just dont see the logic. Same with Bass & Millsap. Yes, I love Millsap. But when you boil it down, they are the same body, slightly different games, but one is going to command a lot more than 6MpY.

And into all of this, you must somehow fit Sullinger. Sully showed great promise last year rebounding AND scoring without having anything run for him. Rumors have spread about his ability to shoot the J thereby stretching the floor.

I just don't see how Green, Smith, Bass, Sullinger and possibly Millsap all fit into the same picture. I guess we could try beating the Heat by clogging up the entire court with stretch-4's.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to kdp59's comment:

I need some help with the capologist on the board here.

I am confused by the articles' explaination (or lack of ) as to how the Celtics can get Smith.

I understand we can trade Pierce and his $15M + contract to team with the cap space (say cleveland)

but how does that get us enough space to sign Smith for $15M or there abouts?

I saw the term "trade exception" but I am not clear what that even means.

so my quesitions are;

1) why couldn't we just Sign Smith?

2) if we have to TRADE for him , what do we have to TRADE in a sign and trade ( do players traded have to add up to his first year contract? a "tarde exception" whatever that is and how does THAT work/).

3) if we only have to send a "trade exception" why would Atlanta want to do it?

I'll respond to #3: We wouldn't. We would be sending Atlanta an asset to pair along with the trade exception. Like, a pick, Melo, Bradley or Sullinger.

Actually, #1 also: We can't outright sign J.Smith because we are over the CAP. The trade with CLE would be Paul Pierce for two second round picks + trade exception (=$$ to be used to S&T a F.A). Think of it as a placeholder. Essentially its like CLE signing Josh Smith and then including him in the PP trade. Instead of having to do all that, the Celtics can get the exception to spend with any team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Archer1's comment:

I kinda want the Celts to tank - but I'd be down to watch Rondo/Bradley/Green/Smith/Garnett next season

If the Celtics keep Garnett for next year, they're repeating the same mistakes that they made in the late 80s. He needs to go to a team that he'll waive his no trade clause to...that is the highest bidder. I still see him joining Doc, in Los Angeles.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

I think Green and Smith can co-exist because Smith can play 4 and 5 and Green can play 3 and 4...no problems there. Teams are going to "position-less" players. Meaning they put a set of athletes on the court and you have to figure out how to guard them...aka the HEAT.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to MitchUnderpants' comment:

Melo gets hot, it happens, He's hit up LBJ and Durant for monster nights as well.

Smith has a 9 year rep as an above average to very good defender, but yes he needs to motivate himself at times and can be lazy. As already said, if we played the Heat or Knicks, Melo and LeBron would play 40-42 mins and all 100% of those mins would be against Green or Smith, who could play 34-38 mins each, with huge chunks of time against inferior offensive players and be slightly more rested.

If you want to have Green play the bulk of his mins against the elite SF's, then Smith can happily guard guys like Battier, Miller, Novak and Copeland and use his energy on offense, although hopefully not a jumper happy offense.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I think Jeff green will be better than josh smith this year.  Just weighing in.  Plus green is a better guy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

well let me think about this ;

1) rondo get healthy at the point

2) Bradley is a slasher at the 2

3) Green is  a fast break guy who can hit the 3

4) Smith can run and gun and hit the 3 as well as Block shots/rebound

5)????

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/531801_468015003240750_937633765_n.jpg

man o man!!

break out that old red, whiet and blue ball guys and welcome to the fast and furios 70's!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to Archer1's comment:

[QUOTE]

If the Celtics keep Garnett for next year, they're repeating the same mistakes that they made in the late 80s. He needs to go to a team that he'll waive his no trade clause to...that is the highest bidder. I still see him joining Doc, in Los Angeles.

[/QUOTE]

By trading Pierce, the longest tenured and more iconic franchise figure Ainge will not have repeated the 80's/90's issue.

Ray was this big 3's Parish... distant 3rd in talent and the older more cerebral/less iconic player. Parish was allowed to walk to Charlotte when his skills had dimished at a very old age. Parish at 40 for a C was like Ray at 37 for a SG.

So KG would be like his mentor McHale... playing out his last few years here, a still effective player for a playoff team with young guys who can use his guidance. If KG wants to waive his trade clause at any point before February in a deal that makes sense for this team, then great. But if we got a player like Smith, he should stay.

KG earned the right to get that clause and of all 3 guys, PP, Ray and KG... KG was the least likely to leave over the years based 1st on his massive contract and the knee injury and now on the no-trade.