Josh Smith

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Josh Smith

I would love to discuss him as a trade target this winter, but before we can do that everyone needs to know the situation.

Smith is going nowhere until Howard is extended long-term for a team other than Atlanta. Until that happens Danny Ferry has to operate under the slim hope that he can lure Georgia natives Howard (also Smith's best friend) and Chris Paul to Atlanta next summer.

That's the only way for them to contend with Smith. They couldn't do it with Horford, Smith, Williams, Johnson and 2-3 of Hinrich/Bibby/Crawford/Teague. They either have to put together what would be (IMO) as good a big 3 than any other in the league or blow it all up and hit the lotto.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Josh Smith

Atlanta would also have to trade Horford for while bringing back almost no cash. He has tremendoud value though and could land a top 10 pick, or recent cheap lotto pick to add to a team with Howard, Smith, Paul and Teague as obvious starters.

Of course if all 3 of those guys took deals in the 13-15m range, instead of demanding max $, they could all play on the same team and have the best 1-4 in the NBA.... BY FAR.

Of course doing the things an average fan would LOVE them for such as taking less money to play with a best friend, in your home state, college state where you are adored, making sure a 4th young star doesn't have to be traded, choosing a mid-market over a major, putting winning 1st, not having to be 'the man' etc. are all things today's spoiled superstars don't do.

If stars did do things like this LeBron would have found a way to get a pal like Amare or Bosh to Cleveland and Wade would have gone home to Chicago, filled the huge SG vacancy there, and played a humble 2nd fiddle to Rose on what would have instantly been one of the best starting 5's of all time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

paul was born and raised in north carolina. not georgia, as you keep saying.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

I would love to have Horford.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Josh Smith:
    [QUOTE]paul was born and raised in north carolina. not georgia, as you keep saying.
    Posted by kaktug[/QUOTE]

My bad

I knew he wasn't born in Georgia, but I mixed up Wake Forest and Georgia Tech, had it in my head he was somehow connected to the state

At least its closer than Cali

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In Response to Josh Smith:
    [QUOTE]I would love to discuss him as a trade target this winter, but before we can do that everyone needs to know the situation. Smith is going nowhere until Howard is extended long-term for a team other than Atlanta . Until that happens Danny Ferry has to operate under the slim hope that he can lure Georgia natives Howard (also Smith's best friend) and Chris Paul to Atlanta next summer. That's the only way for them to contend with Smith. They couldn't do it with Horford, Smith, Williams, Johnson and 2-3 of Hinrich/Bibby/Crawford/Teague. They either have to put together what would be (IMO) as good a big 3 than any other in the league or blow it all up and hit the lotto.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Seems that Ferry wants to keep Smith.  At first I thought he would clean house, esp with the Johnson trade (wow, I never thought anyone would take that deal).  Ferry is good, and if Smith is moved, we could be in the running.  We need to keep under the lux tax, though, because (I believe) after this year, teams over the lux tax will not be allowed to execute sign and trades!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

WHAT is the allure of josh smith????  he's a guy who has quickness, hops and a horrible jumper that he won't stop taking.  the ONE YEAR that he stopped unfurling ill advised 3's, his FG% rocketed to near 50%!!!  than back to bombing 3's like helen keller.

he's a decent rebounder, a good shot blocker, a miserable free throw bricker and a terrible outside shooter, and produces a lot of turnovers.  when he has a flashy moment it brings the crowd to its feet.  when he goes into a funk of missing jumpers and freebies, it's enough to put a wooden indian asleep.

and tell me he's not going to be signing for under 15M for his 17 and 8???  UGH is all i have to say, why do we need that?  do we really have the up tempo slashing system that smith needs to thrive in?  isn't that 7 seconds or less bomber's paradise that he needs over in new yawk with mike d'antonios?