Kareem on the NBA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Kareem on the NBA

Well folks, this may be the end of the discussion....Kareem just stated that LBJ and MJ are not the greatest.....he backs Russell and Chamberlain....and is quoted as saying...(wait for it then check it out on ESPN)...."there was better talent in the league in 1961 than there was when Michael played"......this is a Hall of Fame, former Laker star, who says the league was stronger because of the talent and the smaller number of teams...his open letter is titled "How Soon They Forget"........I hereby rest my case....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from truth-torpedo34. Show truth-torpedo34's posts

Re: Kareem on the NBA

I think the most talent in the league happened in 1986-1990. In the time since, it's not about who's the best basketball player, it's about who is stronger, faster, more selfish, etc. For better or worse, this is the NBA today. The teams that play unselifshly aren't marketed like the teams that feature superstar egomaniacs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Kareem put an end to the discussion of the Celtic dominance from the late '50's through the mid '80's.....this is a hall of fame player that is awaiting his statue in Los Angeles.....not someone on a message board.....I'll side with his opinion.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

I would say the 60's and the 80's were the best as far as talent and team play.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I would agree with you.....and, Kareem not only points to the quality of talent in those days as compared to both MJ ('80's/'90's) and LaBron in todays NBA!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OC-CeltsFan. Show OC-CeltsFan's posts

Even LeQueen himself last year aluded to the fact that the talent pool is watered down because of expansion.  He received a lot of criticism for it and tried to retract the statement as "that's not what I meant" but we all know it's true

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from icnd. Show icnd's posts

In Response to Kareem on the NBA:
    [QUOTE]Well folks, this may be the end of the discussion....Kareem just stated that LBJ and MJ are not the greatest.....he backs Russell and Chamberlain....and is quoted as saying...(wait for it then check it out on ESPN )...."there was better talent in the league in 1961 than there was when Michael played"...... this is a Hall of Fame, former Laker star, who says the league was stronger because of the talent and the smaller number of teams... his open letter is titled "How Soon They Forget"........ I hereby rest my case....
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Great, if the sulken one says it ("Where's my statue, damn it!"), then it must be true.  Everybody's got an opinion, don't they?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

kareem is a bitter bitter, double bitter dude, guys.  i mean really bitter.  he hated wilt, he hated most everyone.  he resents the fact that nobody worships him.  that's the fruit of being a fingernails on chalkboard personality and obviously not caring about the fans.

simply put, kareem doesn't want anyone to be considered great until he has statues of himself in all 57 states.

it's not a secret as to why this guy does not have a job with any franchise.  the best he's been able to do is short projects as a big man coach.  it's not becuase he's not smart it's because he's a habitual dope smoker and unpleasant to be around.

so, take what this bitter old fartte has to say with a whole lot of salt.  bowls of it.  he was a great player but now just bitter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from caesarthecat. Show caesarthecat's posts

it can be interesting what happened to me.....
    i started watching nba basket in 1984, then black-out until 2007, a full black-out no one game ever watched during almost 20 years.....
    when i restarted watching nba in 2007 it appeared to me as another kind of game.... really so !
    i've been a player, coach and referee, in italy
    now, after 4 year watching it i'm acquainted with the today play-style but, as written, at the beginning in 2007 i was really astonished due to the difference in talent, in my view
    too many teams and talent is spread over
    in 80s the best european players watched the nba on tv, now they're playing there....
    this is one signal of the difference

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from caesarthecat. Show caesarthecat's posts

another example limited to italy : now marco belinelli is a starter in the nba ; a much much much better shooting guard we had in the 80s, antonello riva, used to watch the nba as i did, on tv

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In Response to Kareem on the NBA:
    [QUOTE]Well folks, this may be the end of the discussion....Kareem just stated that LBJ and MJ are not the greatest.....he backs Russell and Chamberlain....and is quoted as saying...(wait for it then check it out on ESPN )...."there was better talent in the league in 1961 than there was when Michael played"...... this is a Hall of Fame, former Laker star, who says the league was stronger because of the talent and the smaller number of teams... his open letter is titled "How Soon They Forget"........ I hereby rest my case....
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Duke

Great subject Duke. This should bring out all those fans that have strong feelings about the players and teams of their generation. My guess is that most posters will, for the most part, support those players that they watched during their youth.It seems the older you get, the better the "Good old days" of one's youth become.

SeemsToMe

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I think you're right buddy.....you know, maybe it's the terminology we are using.....there is no question that the athletes of all sports are better today with the training and supplements....but as far as the NBA goes......they are not better basketball players....it is a watered down talent pool.....and in the "old days" (the kids will love that one) they enforced the rules...."up and down" no longer exists...traveling and palming are rampant....and the King runs over guys several times a game without being called for charging....more does not equal better....also, a poster ranted on Kareem as a bitter old man who hates Wilt.....well, in his blog, Kareem states that Wilt was better than MJ or LeBron....another poster says everyone has an opinion....but when Hollinger stated his, it went straight to this board as proof of why the Lakers are the greatest franchise of all time......yeah, right....in his opinion maybe....

oh, and Green Bay is referred to as "Title Town".........and I am aware that there was no championship game in the early days of the NFL.....they are still a great franchise....(this in answer to another poster.....)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from terrrapin. Show terrrapin's posts

I can't disagree with what Kareem says. He played in the greatest era as far as I am concerned with the greatest teams. I mean the Dumars/Thomas/Rodman/Lambeer/Mahorn/Johnson Pistons, Kareem/Magic/Cooper/Thompson/Scott/
    Worthy/ Lakers,Doc/Jones/Cheeks/Malone/Dawkins/WORLD B FREE/ Sixers and the Celtics. How about the three towers of Olajawon, Peterson and Sampson. I agree with the other poster who said with the technology today......WOW! A lot of other great players during this era also. The teams though were phenominal.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Comparing Eras of the NBA is like comparing apples and oranges. I should not be done.

The Games rules have changed, as well as the amount of physical contact and defense allowed have changed.

Star calls became a dominating feature of the NBA from Jordan forward.

The number of teams have increased.

The NBA went from an all white club, to a few great black players, to a black dominated league. Now, an international field of players are also part of the mix.

All comparisons of different eras are suspect.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Kareem has some valid points, except about the talent pool in the 60s, c'mon - but anyone who thinks he doesn't have an axe to grind in this debate is out of their minds. Take it with a grain of salt. Kareem taking Lebron to task is one thing - fair enough. Kareem taking on Jordan, based on a loopy opinion from Scotty Pippen, that's silly stuff. I do like Kareem speaking up for Russell and Wilt since so many missed out on them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I think today's athletes are bigger, stronger, and faster.  However, they are not "better".  They don't set pick's as well, they play in a time where the rules don't allow you to touch anyone (no hand checking out front, for example), and I don't think they shoot as well.   That's why Duncan is the big Fundamental.....because he brought us all back to the day when players were all strong fundamentally.  Jerry West or Tommy Heinsoln could not out leap anyone today, but they could outshoot 90% of today's players.

Two of the 3 best guards/forwards in today's game - lebron and wade - couldn't shoot half as well as the top shooters like Rick Barry or Larry Bird.  When the league expanded....the teams got watered down.  Why do you think MJ lost against the Lakers, Celtics, and Pistons until those guys got old and the league expanded. 

Just look at the roster of the Pistons, Lakers, or our Celtics and compare it to Jordan's team in their prime.  No doubt the C's, Lakers, and Pistons were all more stacked.

I'm with Kareem - Russell and Chamberlain were better.  MJ is in the top 5 or 6, But Bird, Magic, Oscar, Russell, and Chamberlain are all just as good as MJ.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

My opinion is that players now tend to more quicker, faster, bigger and in some instances , more athletic ( I dont want to diminish the old school players too much, as they played above the rim as well)  but with all that being said, the talent level is way lower primarily with the big man, where we have idiots who praised Kendrick Perkins this year as if he was Wilt...when reallly he probably doesnt even make the team in the 80's..

So back then, players all had a role and played it well, there wasnt these long scoring drougts...

I love to watch defense, but I hated sitting through those years of watching the detroit teams and miami slug it out to tune of 85-89 scores.

Now the league is flooded with tattoed up, athletic losers and european players who are one trick ponys...and every 2 or 3 years they annoint new players to dominate at the FREE THROW line... right now, 2 annointee's on the same team (lebron and wade) are messing up the league.

in 2002, after Pierce became popular for having a good playoff run and the 2t6 point comeback against the Nets...and had one of the top selling jerseys...the next couple years he got to the line to the tune of 10 times a game and led the league in attempts for a year...and now he cant buy a f/t, but it is because he cant get to the line or because he doesnt get calls...i know the answer,....same with D.Rose...great player but too much respect..

In the 80's, fouls were REAL fouls , not this touch B.S. they do now..and thats why I respect what he sais (Kareem) to be true....because now they market players based on their talent...if they are exicting , they want to keep jersey sales up by making them look good ( who would by a Wade jersey if he had 3-20 games every other night)  these FAKE stars get all the calls cuz the league doesnt want them to look bad and wants kids to look up and worhsip them, hence the help from the refs.  I am glad the NBA is threatening to end...Im fed up with the B.S. after last years Finals...smh

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertmont. Show vertmont's posts

In Response to Re: Kareem on the NBA:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Kareem on the NBA : Duke Great subject Duke. This should bring out all those fans that have strong feelings about the players and teams of their generation. My guess is that most posters will, for the most part, support those players that they watched during their youth.It seems the older you get, the better the "Good old days" of one's youth become. SeemsToMe
    Posted by SeemsToMe[/QUOTE]

Before the media and big time money got involed. Players played for the competion and the desire to play. The start of the 70's sports became all about the money that was being generated from the media. I think any athelets before this time were some of the best all time in any sport, not saying their is not great talent after. The games were games before money got involed, big money and the media show casing every little thing that can carry a headline.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kareem on the NBA : Before the media and big time money got involed. Players played for the competion and the desire to play. The start of the 70's sports became all about the money that was being generated from the media. I think any athelets before this time were some of the best all time in any sport, not saying their is not great talent after. The games were games before money got involed, big money and the media show casing every little thing that can carry a headline.
    Posted by vertmont[/QUOTE]

Well said.  In fact I recommend people look to the UK where fans of soccer clubs have in some cases established there own football clubs, based off the ones they used to follow, because money and hype has so soiled their love for the sport.   There are some great stories out there and it makes me happy that some people still have the proactive nature to change a situation for the better than fall into line like the establishment often tells us to do.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kareem on the NBA : Before the media and big time money got involed. Players played for the competion and the desire to play. The start of the 70's sports became all about the money that was being generated from the media. I think any athelets before this time were some of the best all time in any sport, not saying their is not great talent after. The games were games before money got involed, big money and the media show casing every little thing that can carry a headline.
    Vermont

I wonder if you could tell me,in detail,about the bargaining conditions that existed  between  players and management back in the 50's and 60's?

SeemsToMe

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertmont. Show vertmont's posts

There was not any. What was there to bargin for then.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I'll agree with Abdul-Jabbar that there was more talent in his time than in the 90s. I'm not sure about the present era. There's a ton of individual talent today, probably moreso than at any time in league history. That doesn't mean overall play is better because it's not, a lot has been lost in terms of team play. But defense is at or near its apex and I'll take today's players over the ones from Jordan's era. Sometimes I wonder how much of Jordan's success had to do with the relative dearth of talent he faced. Would he be as dominant against the current crop of players?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

[QUOTE]There was not any. What was there to bargin for then.
    Vermont

Your 100% right Vermont. No collective bargining, no free agency. Management controlled all the financial aspects of the game. For the players it was the only game in town. Take it or leave it. When it comes to money, times just have not changed that much . Athletes were just as motivated financially back in the 50's and 60's as they are now but now with free agency they have the financial opportunity to control their own destiny.

Seems

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Vermont,

I disagree with you.  Players today want to win as much as players back then.  Everyone LOVES to win and you can't tell me Lebron doesn't want to win as much as Chamberlain or West or Heinsoln or any other player of that era.

The difference is the player back then was a "slave" because management had all the power and today's player is getting paid for that love.   Nice to have a job you love AND get paid well for it.   We all wish we had jobs like that!