Kevin Garnett's Disturbing Performance

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsanalyst. Show celticsanalyst's posts

Kevin Garnett's Disturbing Performance

I know it's only been two games in the season so far, but of all the Celtic players, I am most disturbed and frustrated by the play of Kevin Garnett.  He seems so out of sync and his error prone playing is really hurting the team.  For a player with so many years of experience behind his back, he is making just too many foolish and careless mistakes on the floor.  He has been very erratic with his passes that are being easily picked off by the oponents for easy layups.  In fact, against the Heat, if you go back to the tape, Kevin's stupid fouls and passes was one of the reasons the Heat were able to come back and make it a tight game.  He continues to play softly on the offensive side.  Why does he continue to settle for outside shots?  At his height, he should be more aggressive playing around the rim, trying to make power moves and grabbing offensive rebounds.  If he continues this trend and if the Celtics do make it to the NBA finals again, Gasol will have a field day against him once again. In fact, Kevin's trend of soft play filled with turnovers began last year, lasted though the NBA Finals, and continues today.  I know most of you will disagree with me on this, but I really think Kevin will be better off coming off the bench rather than starting.  Shaq at 38 seems more energized and definitely less error proned than KG.  Why not start Shaq and Big Baby at power forward?  Perhaps this is the type of awakening KG needs in order to start playing better.  BBD has performed exceptionally well so far.  He brings lots of energy and aggressiveness to the team.  Yes, KG had 15 rebounds against the Cavs.  Yes, he does have good games at times.  But, he is just too inconsistent.  His good performances are starting to become few and far in between. Someone, either Doc or one of the players, needs to speak to KG and reprimand him for his turnovers.  KG does not deserve to belong to the Big 3 anymore.  The new Big 3 is Pierce, Ray, and Rondo.  Speaking of Doc, when is he going to start trusting the bench?  We have some good players on the bench that are just wasting away not getting a chance to play.  Give the younger players a chance to prove themselves.  I know Jermaine has been disappointing so far, but continue to give him chance.  I think he will improve as the season progresses. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsanalyst. Show celticsanalyst's posts

Re: Kevin Garnett's Disturbing Performance

By the way, I wrote the post not because I don't like KG.  I have been a huge Garnett fan over the years.  My assessment of his performance is not just based on two games this year, but rather on a downward trend that started last year.  He makes too many silly passes that lead to turnovers.  That really bothers me.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: Kevin Garnett's Disturbing Performance:
    [QUOTE]By the way, I wrote the post not because I don't like KG.  I have been a huge Garnett fan over the years.  Posted by celticsanalyst[/QUOTE]

if you are what you say, a long time garnett fan, then you KNOW he has never been big with an inside game.  i find it frustrating too but you should not be surprised.  be happy with the lob dunks and jumpers and a pesky presence on D.  the turnovers will come down.  it's game 2, not game 92 my friend.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetruth007. Show lovetruth007's posts

KG is KG, not a MVP type player. If he scored 5 more points in game 7 of NBA finals . Celtics had banner 18 already. KG's best days are gone. He is no longer 20 million dollars player any more. I also think he is more effective coming off the bench.

I also was surprised why the rockie Luke was not active even when D-west is suspended. That kid brings in energy and is a good rebounder and has a decent mid-range jumper.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Kevin Garnett's Disturbing Performance:
    [QUOTE]KG is KG, not a MVP type player. If he scored 5 more points in game 7 of NBA finals . Celtics had banner 18 already. KG's best days are gone. He is no lonher 20 million dollars player any more. I also think he is more effective coming off the bench. I also was surprised why the rockie Luke was not active even when D-west is suspended. That kid brings in energy and is a good rebounder and has a decent mid-range jumper.
    Posted by lovetruth007[/QUOTE]

The Celtics are only allowed 11 players because Delonte will count as the 12th man even if he's suspended.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

For the first 2 games, KG has made alot of mistakes and has looked soft offensively.  Hes also not reacting quickly although he seems in much, much better physical condition than last year.

Last night against the Cavs he grabbed 15 rebounds.. thats huge! In game 1 he was passing up his mid-long range jumpers early which cost us...but started taking them later. last night he only took 8 shots and continued making turnovers. Hes never been a low post guy (ala Shaq) but he does have great low post moves to set up his short range fade aways... which hes very accurate with. Just hes not even trying to get position for them.

Maybe we have to come to grips that KG is a jumper shooter, rebounder and defensive QB and be happy with it. Just cut down the turnovers with the lazy, akward, telegraphed  passes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Hi,
    Sorry to ruin your post but you can not judge a player by his performance in one game, even 2 games. Especially by the first 2 games of the season.
    And if you really want to be frustrated shift your attention to JON.

AK

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsanalyst. Show celticsanalyst's posts

As I have stated twice already, I am not being critical of KG based on 2 games, but rather on a cycle of sloppy play that started last year.  It's those careless passes that get intercepted by opposition and lead to easy layups that usually turn the momentum of a game.  This happened in the game against the Heat.  The celtics were cruising and had great momentum until KG and couple of other guys made some foolish turnovers that shifted the momentum.  I am not blaming all fault on KG, but since he is the vocal leader of the group with years of experience under his belt, I expect better execution of the ball on his part.  One other thing, KG has a tendency to go for rebounds with just one hand in critical situations, the end result is usually disastrous.  This happenned a bunch of times in game 7 of the Finals last year.  Even one of the television analyst pointed this out several times.  This is a sign of having no energy to go up with two hands and box the oppostion out.  He certainly does not have the same stamina that he used to have and needs to come off the bench rather than start. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

K.G is rebounding like he was 25 years old again. His turnovers in the past 2 games don't worry me. K.G will adjust and correct it. What's important is the health of his legs and there's great news on that as evidenced by his rebounding thus far.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Let's just fold our hand.  Cash in the chits.  Goodnight Vienna.  Clearly after two games this team has peaked and we can expect no better. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from docc. Show docc's posts

15 boards w/ only 1 offensive isn't good enough.   It means that when your teamate shoots, you stand and watch instead of going to the glass (or not positioning yourself before the shot).   Right now KG is all faux intensity...he's talking and facial expressioning etc, but he's basically standing around.   Not playing w/ true energy.   Should get 3 to 5 offensive rpg.   Also, some tips to keep the ball alive if you have true energy.