Kevin Love - Possible or Not

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Kevin Love - Possible or Not

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9203345/nba-trade-value-part-2

If you're a Simmons fan, you probably read his trade value posts, which got me thinking about Kevin Love. They way Simmons lays it out, Minny has not set themselves up to retain Love in the long term, and Simmons is certain that he will get traded before his contract expires. He points to Chicago as a likely suitor, but I know the entire Celtics organization is salivating over the possibility. So, is it possible to trade for Love this summer?

My Thoughts:

• Finagle a trade with LAC sending out Garnett for his last two years in the League. Get as many favorable assets in return (pick, Bledsoe, or Green with Butler or Jordan).
    • Package the LAC assets with our own (future picks, either Bradley or Sullinger, one of our guards like Crawford or Lee)

In this scenerio, we could retain Paul. Buy him out and resign for a more cap friendly contract and sign some more pieces. Imagine Rondo, Avery, Paul, Green, Love. Maybe OKC amnesties Perk and we can get him back at minimum cap hit.

• Or maybe we offer them Jeff Green, Courtney Lee and two picks?

If we did this, it would be an all-in move where we could retain KG and Paul, but we would certainly need to renegociate Paul's contract to sign a swing-man with Jeff gone. 

In a third scenerio, we do the above trade, but KG and PP retire. We would have enough cap room to get a third piece to match with Rondo and Love. Maybe in this scenerio we can entice Josh Smith to come to Boston. Imagine: Rondo, Avery, Smith, Love ...

The bottom line:  Its clear that Rondo is here to stay as our centerpiece. I think he is too old to wait out a few years in the lottery to get another superstar. The best option is to get a super-star big in a Trade. Love is a perfect fit. Doc would love to coach Love. Love and Rondo are in the same stage of their careers which will lead to perenial contending. Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

Re: Kevin Love - Possible or Not

The first thing Ainge needs to do is get Toney Allen back, then work from there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Perk would be a nice pickup....no way do they trade Love!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to passfirst's comment:

The first thing Ainge needs to do is get Toney Allen back, then work from there.

The only thing the Celtics have are 2's and 3's.

They need a pg, and bigs.

Not more 2's.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Get over Tony Allen - he is gone. Avery is our future defensive star.

We do not need more SGs and do not need another PG. Rondo will be back. I think Williams will be a nice backup next year. He is big, strong and has got skill

We need a franchise big man and Love is that guy. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

we actually don't have any 2s who deserve to be starters. we need a 2 and we need a 5.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to kaktug's comment:

we actually don't have any 2s who deserve to be starters. we need a 2 and we need a 5.

+1.  I wish we had a better 2.  None on the current roster are real starter.  They are only good enough to round out the starting 5 (do the dirty work players).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from docomospur. Show docomospur's posts

I agree, though I'd put the need for a 5 ahead of the 2.  Give RR the perfect foil and we'd be setting up a solid foundation to build on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

And a 1, and a 4.

We do have a 2 good 3's.

Yay.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

If you're a Simmons fan, you probably read his trade value posts, which got me thinking about Kevin Love. They way Simmons lays it out, Minny has not set themselves up to retain Love in the long term, and Simmons is certain that he will get traded before his contract expires. He points to Chicago as a likely suitor, but I know the entire Celtics organization is salivating over the possibility. So, is it possible to trade for Love this summer?

My Thoughts:

• Finagle a trade with LAC sending out Garnett for his last two years in the League. Get as many favorable assets in return (pick, Bledsoe, or Green with Butler or Jordan).
    • Package the LAC assets with our own (future picks, either Bradley or Sullinger, one of our guards like Crawford or Lee)

In this scenerio, we could retain Paul. Buy him out and resign for a more cap friendly contract and sign some more pieces. Imagine Rondo, Avery, Paul, Green, Love. Maybe OKC amnesties Perk and we can get him back at minimum cap hit.

If we did this, it would be an all-in move where we could retain KG and Paul, but we would certainly need to renegociate Paul's contract to sign a swing-man with Jeff gone. 

In a third scenerio, we do the above trade, but KG and PP retire. We would have enough cap room to get a third piece to match with Rondo and Love. Maybe in this scenerio we can entice Josh Smith to come to Boston. Imagine: Rondo, Avery, Smith, Love ...

The bottom line:  Its clear that Rondo is here to stay as our centerpiece. I think he is too old to wait out a few years in the lottery to get another superstar. The best option is to get a super-star big in a Trade. Love is a perfect fit. Doc would love to coach Love. Love and Rondo are in the same stage of their careers which will lead to perenial contending. Thoughts?

LOVE IT !

KEVIN LOVE IN CELTIC GREEN PLAYING WITH RONDO WOULD BE AWESOME !

ALSO, THE MORE I SEE OF ANDREW BOGUT , THE MORE I LIKE HIM. HE'S WAY BETTER THAN PERK AND HE'S A COOL GUY....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to PHX85014's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My Thoughts:

LOVE IT !

ALSO, THE MORE I SEE OF ANDREW BOGUT , THE MORE I LIKE HIM. HE'S WAY BETTER THAN PERK AND HE'S A COOL GUY....

[/QUOT

Yeah, the more I think about it, hope Rondo has learned some leasons after missing out this year...he his NOT far from being a perenial all star...he has improved every year..

I was disappointed in AB's progression this year...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

Kevin Love needs to show recovery from his injuries this season. Yet another young player who is yet to play 82 games in a season.

The Timberwolves have also never reached the post season during his time there. In fact the Timberwolves haven't really gone backwards mind the fact that Love only played 18 games. He hasn't shown that he can lead a team anyplace except the lottery.

Yes, he did have a big year at UCLA. But Westbrook was also part of that team. 

Bogut is average. And more injury prone than Love. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

But what if KG agreed to end his career in Minnesota.....it actually makes perfect sense.

Throw in some salary, and Minnesota's need to sell tickets in a HORRIBLE economy....it actually could be very likely that Kevin Love could end up in Boston....

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

If you are enamoured by Kevin Love then you should just give Jared Sullinger one more year.  That is our Kevin Love.  With a quality 2 and a good 5, things will be fine.  Danny should attempt to clear the logjam of the mediocre 2's that he has assembled and address these two needs.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

Not more 2's.

Toney Allen can guard from the 1 to the 4.  Look at what he is doing to L.A. right now, he's a gamer.  I think there is definitely a spot for him on this roster and I want him back.  Rondo, A.B., T.A., J.G., and a 5 would be a nasty line up.  I like TWill too if he can get a better handle to back up Rondo next year, and Sullinger.  Pierce off the bench. KG playing the 5 for 20 minutes a game.  I like this team next year.

Make no mistake though, Toney Allen's defense, again, is standout in the playoffs.  Doing way more damage than A.B. right now.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

Not more 2's.

Toney Allen can guard from the 1 to the 4.  Look at what he is doing to L.A. right now, he's a gamer.  I think there is definitely a spot for him on this roster and I want him back.  Rondo, A.B., T.A., J.G., and a 5 would be a nasty line up.  I like TWill too if he can get a better handle to back up Rondo next year, and Sullinger.  Pierce off the bench. KG playing the 5 for 20 minutes a game.  I like this team next year.

Make no mistake though, Toney Allen's defense, again, is standout in the playoffs.  Doing way more damage than A.B. right now.  

assuming that green can average 50 a game, i like that lineup too. ;)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

I love Tony allen but put him on this team and nothing changes.

this team needs a pg, whether it be to replace Rondo or back him up, and this team needs..no joke..about 3 bigs.

Then we could start addressing the needs at the 2.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

rondo

a deadly 3-point shooter

green

KG/sully

a legit center

that's a team that can win. we need a 2 to space the floor and keep the defense honest. we need a 5 who can get boards and points in the paint.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Love: Yeah I ultimately do agree about Sullinger being a Love-like player. He was great as a rookie, but I think he needs two more years to get into nasty mode. The thing with Love is that he is ready now. He has range all the way from behind the arc, and that is extremely valuable to open up the lanes for a driving Rond & Green, and a cutting AB.

PG: I'm telling you ... Rondo is our point guard. I really like T Williams as the back-up next year. You can tell thats where we are heading when this kid from China is playing over Crawford and Lee in the playoffs (game4).

Green: Its so weird. I was all high of Jeff Green at the beginning of the year when everyone was so skeptical. Now that there is a growing infatuation with him, I am not so high on him anymore. I watch him in the game, and despite the stats, he just doesn't do enough. You never see him make a hustle or impact play unless it is an offensive drive to the hoop. He has so much skill, but we've seen from the great 3's in the league, you need to be an all around player at that position. He has got to box out, grab rebounds, learn to kick out, set screens, take charges, pressure the ball. Maybe its asking too much of him RIGHT NOW. But that is where he has to go. If he plateau's as a single dimentional player, then he is not good enough to be a starting 3 for the Celtics. 

Its the 1 and the 3 positions that are the most imporant. We have our Rondo. We had Pierce. I'm just not sure Green can live up to greatness. Time will tell.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

Green: Its so weird. I was all high of Jeff Green at the beginning of the year when everyone was so skeptical. Now that there is a growing infatuation with him, I am not so high on him anymore. I watch him in the game, and despite the stats, he just doesn't do enough. You never see him make a hustle or impact play unless it is an offensive drive to the hoop. He has so much skill, but we've seen from the great 3's in the league, you need to be an all around player at that position. He has got to box out, grab rebounds, learn to kick out, set screens, take charges, pressure the ball. Maybe its asking too much of him RIGHT NOW. But that is where he has to go. If he plateau's as a single dimentional player, then he is not good enough to be a starting 3 for the Celtics. 

Its the 1 and the 3 positions that are the most imporant. We have our Rondo. We had Pierce. I'm just not sure Green can live up to greatness. Time will tell.

[/QUOTE]

LOL..and i am just the opposite on Green!!

I have said before that he has never shown much "drive" to be a great player and has been a poor rebounder and medicroe shooter and was alwasy a soft player, IMO.

He's shown "drive and desire" the second half of this year, shown he will give up his body as needed and his shooting has seemed to step up a level.

I am fine with him and Rondo being two of the pieces in a rebuild now.

However....I do not expect Green to EVER be an elite NBA player. I really think he tops out as a 15-17 pt/G, 5 reb/G player. Howver if he works ahrd and plays soldi Defense, I hvae revised my thinking as to him be a celtic for a long period of time.

Love scares me, due to his size and injury problems....we've alse yet to see if he can step his game up come playoff time or if his games gets smaller. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In response to PHX85014's comment:

My Thoughts:

LOVE IT !

Anyone "way better than Perk" gets him off the bench with a wee bit more confidence from the coach. I'd prefer a more dynamic comparison if you could make one.  Thanks.