KG and Points in the Paint

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Re: KG and Points in the Paint

In Response to Re: KG and Points in the Paint:
    [QUOTE]Sorry, Petey.  I disagree.  I think he's trying to hit those 5 to 10 footers but he's (a) not able to hit them with any consistency and (b) being pushed off the block more often.   Did you see KG miss those shots last night and miss badly?   He's either not able to do it or concerned about the leg.  But, if you know KG, you know he's NOT a guy without heart......so this ain't about him "just doing it".  Its about capability.   I believe he'll be better at season's end, but right now, there's a burnout, weakness (mental and physical) factor going on.   Time will tell, my man. PS.  P34 - I love Larry Bird too, but he didn't post up Ralph Sampson or Moses Malone.  He posted up Robert Reed.  Second, Larry Bird lost a lost of series....like getting SWEPT by the Milwaukee Bucks.  Everyone has some bad games so stop making  out like Larry Bird never lost to weaker opponents.  Everyone does.   Let's not let our frustrations make us illogical here.  OK?
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

right again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakerman24. Show lakerman24's posts

Perhaps kg should spend less time arguing with the officials and more time on being aggressive in the paint.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

KG is KG,

He will occasionally play with his back to the basket, but history shows that the coach has to demand it. It was true in Minnesota and it is true now. If Doc wants it, he has to demand it. It is something that KG prefers not to do especially when his shot is off, he would rather pass when the double team comes. As I said, people have said the same thing about his game since the 90s. He will not change after 15 years.

With that being said, over the years, he has usually been number one or number two in field goal percentage in the NBA. When he is not, he is still one of the best, so it appears not to matter much on the offensive end.

Last night was an aberration. The Celtics were short handed and in foul trouble. As you say, the statistic says that the Lakers scored 92 points, however, in the second half, when the Lakers took the lead, and scored most of their points, and in the fourth quarter, when the Celtics normally clamp down on defense, they could not because of foul trouble and extended minutes. It is a tale of two halves. It is the second half, and defense in the second half, that killed the Celtics. They could not play aggressive defense in the third or fourth quarter. Offense comes and goes. Defense can be brought every night, as long as we have player that can play defense.

Aberrations:
    1. KG did not play well, but he played great in LA.
    2. Paul was recovering for illness and did not play well, but played well in LA.
    3. Ray was in foul trouble with Wafer defending Kobe.
    4. Perk did not defend well and was in foul trouble
    5. Rondo plays some good defense, but the team defensive concept did not work well because of the other issues.
    6.There were no credible bench players for many positions when starters got into foul trouble.

We seem to have short memories. Does anyone remember 12 days ago when the Celtics blew out the Lakers in LA? What was the difference?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I will give you the real secret to KG scoring in the paint.  You may or may not have noticed that KG stopped scoring in the paint this year when Shaq went out of the line up.  Shaq takes up a lot of room but he also absorbs a lot of defensive pressure and KG benefits inside from it.  Last year KG was back from injury and he was never very good in the paint considering his height. No Shaq.

Look for KG to resume his inside game when Shaq returns.  I bet Shaq is pushing 400 with all the time off. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In Response to KG and Points in the Paint:
    [QUOTE]KG had 10 points, 8 points from jump shots and 2 points from the FT line. No matter how much KG is loved by Celtic fans it still won't change the fact that he's a jump shooting PF.  If the Celtics are going to win a championship KG needs to get it done inside the paint. 
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I posted this under "We need more offense" but, mea culpa, I've copied & pasted it here as I couldn't agree more we need KG to produce in the paint as do Gasol & Bynum. And I don't care if he's only been a PF mainly jump shooter. Gasol too is as good on short range shots but he still can power the ball in the basket as Shaq. Our own Kevin McHale was a short range jump shooter but still was a scoring factor as Parrish in the paint. Perkins can't be counted on to be the guy...his hands are not good enough & he makes too many turnovers when fed the ball quickly. We need Shaq back quickly.

OK, my post in another thread:

I'd love to get Battier or Hamilton. Hopefully, Delonte & Nate returning will help get some production from beyond the paint other than from Pierce & Allen. Then a bit closer to the paint we get it from Garnett & Big Baby. But a real concern, and I love Rondo as he has talents few others have, great hands for defense & assisting & driving to the basket even by big men. BUT HE IS "IFFY" ON SHORT JUMPERS & IN 3 PT RANGE. Lakers last night had the advantage of playing 5 defenders on our 4 offensive players as they allowed Rondo to shoot. But where Rondo can help assist is feeding to a big man under the basket who can score like Bynum & Gasol. We only have Garnett to do that as Perkins truly is not a scorer but specializes in defense. But KG, age perhaps or fear of injuring his knee, is not a tremendous threat in the paint. W/O him now , whom do we have ? Shaq will help. We continue to get out rebounded but it has not been a concern when we shoot 50-60%. But last night in the 2nd half the shooting % went down & big reason we lost. I mean the Lakers in Game 7 last year shot 32% and Kobe 6 for 24 (25%) BUT HATE TO OPEN WOUNDS BUT THEY WON BECAUSE THEIR LOW % DIDN'T MATTER WHEN THEY CONTINUED TO GET REBOUNDS TO FINALLY SCORE. 

The benefit too of having some shooters to back up Pierce & Allen is that it takes someone or a couple of defenders from under the paint to come out and contest the 3 point shots and that allows us to get more rebounds. But when one of these guys is out, resting etc. we are of little threat beyond the paint.

OK, enough, I'm getting tear drops all over this post.

PS...Can we talk Sheed into returning ???

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

I guess he will have to choose between Pizza, and Basketball.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: KG and Points in the Paint : THAT is what I'd love to see more of.  He can still do that and not with a result of a tomahawk dunk.  I'll take that with a clean finish.  The chances of drawing fouls is increased by doing more of this.  Oh, every now and then he can still knock down that jay but I think he should do more of this. This is not banging.  You're right, he cannot do much banging but he can still get his shot, especially against the majority of PF that he has the advantage over.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

Petey, what's your view of how we'll do against the Heat.  Will all of these problems cause us to lose another one or you think the Celts will bounce back?    What does your analytical mind tell you about this upcoming game and about how KG and the boys will play against a smaller front line but the faster more athletic Wade/Lebron show?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

I'm not Petey but I fear we're going to get our behinds kicked in a bad way.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

KG only averages 3.2 trips to the FT line every game. Dirk goes to the FT line 6 times every game. Both players are 7-footers and both love to shoot from the outside. See the difference?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]KG only averages 3.2 trips to the FT line every game. Dirk goes to the FT line 6 times every game. Both players are 7-footers and both love to shoot from the outside. See the difference?
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

Yea, we should get rid of KG. Dirk is an even better defender too.  With a little work, Semi could do the same job. Maybe even make a trade before the deadline...we can send KG to the Cavs for Antoine Jamison. I think he avgs more FT's too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

KG is not Dirk.

That is Pierce's game, not KG's game.

KG has never gotten to the free throw line to any great degree. Dirk gets the star calls, KG does not.

I guess if you want to focus on KG's weaknesses instead of the strengths after KG's worst game of the year, that is your business. Asking him to change is like asking Ray or Paul to change. It won't happen to any great degree.

It is like asking Paul to stop dribbling through double teams, or asking Ray to stop passing the ball into traffic. Both would be great for the team, but it just doesn't happen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]KG only averages 3.2 trips to the FT line every game. Dirk goes to the FT line 6 times every game. Both players are 7-footers and both love to shoot from the outside. See the difference?
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

Why would you try to make KG into a different player? He is who is!    Dirk is the team's scorer and holds the ball for his team a lot.  He shoots almost 16 times a game (15.7) to get his 6 FT's per game.  KG shoots 11.5 times a game.  Would you like KG to hold the ball and do the Dirk game?  Would you like the Celtics to play a post up offense like the Mavs?  That's not the Celtics game and that's not KG's game. 

KG is a defensive wizard.  He's not Dirk.  KG gets 10.8 rebounds, 1.4 steals, 1.6 blocks, and 1.6 turnovers to Dirks 6.8 rebounds, 0.6 steals, 0.8 blocks, and 2.0 turnovers.   

See the difference?   Stop trying to make KG into Paul on offense.  Take him for what he is - a defensive power forward who can score......not an offensive power forward who's game is the shoot all game.    Paul is our go to guy in terms of getting to the basket and drawing fouls.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Celtics, I agree,

There was a time when KG beat Dirk in scoring, rebounding, defense, and every other meaningful category. Today his role is what it is.

Defense, Defense, Defense, and unselfish offensive role model.

Can he score? Does he have skills? Yes

When Shaq, West, and  Marquise get back the team will be awesome again.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

In Response to KG and Points in the Paint:
    [QUOTE]KG had 10 points, 8 points from jump shots and 2 points from the FT line. No matter how much KG is loved by Celtic fans it still won't change the fact that he's a jump shooting PF.  If the Celtics are going to win a championship KG needs to get it done inside the paint. 
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]I agree. I've noticed that KG often struggles on offense against players his height. He often throws up hurried and awkward shots when he makes his move to the basket. His age and past injury obviously limit his lift and athleticism.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

I'm not saying that KG should change. All I'm saying is don't settle, settling for 20-foot shots is opting for the easy way out. KG has the moves, why not attack the rim more instead of shooting jump shots all the time. 

Saying that Dirk gets the foul calls and KG doesn't is simply not true. Defenders just don't foul 7-footers taking 20-foot shots.

Again, we are all witnesses to what happened in Game 7 of last year's Finals. If Gasol outplays KG no way will the Celtics beat the Lakers.

All the defense only got KG past the 1st round of the playoffs once in Minnesota. With the Celtics KG is playing great defense. The problem is defense alone is not enough to win a championship, you also have to score on the other end. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]I will give you the real secret to KG scoring in the paint.  You may or may not have noticed that KG stopped scoring in the paint this year when Shaq went out of the line up.  Shaq takes up a lot of room but he also absorbs a lot of defensive pressure and KG benefits inside from it.  Last year KG was back from injury and he was never very good in the paint considering his height. No Shaq. Look for KG to resume his inside game when Shaq returns.  I bet Shaq is pushing 400 with all the time off. 
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

You are right on with your analysis, Shaq makes it much easier for KG because Shaq must be guarded. When KG posts up when Perk is in the game, they don't worry about Perk, they just double team KG!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Time machines don't  work.

Is it possible that Nowinski was fouled by Baby's Chin last year when Baby was knocked out by Nowinskis swinging his elbows?

In game seven, KG was not fully recovered as he is now, and he is not limited by the same constraints.

This is not game 7. KG is fully recovered, but the bench is injured.

In Minnesota KG was an all around machine, not just a defensive juggernaut.
    20-10, 20-10, 20-10, over and over again. More than anyone in NBA history.

KG had a bad night. it happens. Get over it. In Los Angeles, he destroyed Gasol and made him Gasoft. When the bench returns, so will the Celtics Mojo.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

The Celtics is a jump shooting team and when the shots are not falling, they lose.  I do feel that when KG has an advantage he should exploit in the post and punish the by attacking the rim versus fading away. Fade aways=NO FOULS!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Time machines don't  work. Is it possible that Nowinski was fouled by Baby's Chin last year when Baby was knocked out by Nowinskis swinging his elbows? In game seven, KG was not fully recovered as he is now, and he is not limited by the same constraints. This is not game 7. KG is fully recovered, but the bench is injured. In Minnesota KG was an all around machine, not just a defensive juggernaut. 20-10, 20-10, 20-10, over and over again. More than anyone in NBA history. KG had a bad night. it happens. Get over it. In Los Angeles, he destroyed Gasol and made him Gasoft. When the bench returns, so will the Celtics Mojo.
    Posted by Jump-ball-overtime[/QUOTE]

You can always get 20-10 by shooting outside jumpers. The problem is the FT attempts, 2 FT attempts the whole game is an indication of not being aggressive enough. KG gets the offensive rebound and he throws it back outside? 

At LA KG destroyed Gasol because KG was having a great night shooting the ball, 9-12 FGs. But did you check how many FTs KG attempted? I'll tell you, KG only attempted 1 FT in that game!

Just look at the Phoenix Suns, if they're hitting outside shots they have a shot at winning the game. If they don't shoot well from the outside they automatically lose. So if KG is missing from the outside then what? It's not like KG is Channing Frye. KG has all the moves, he's a very good offensive player. So stop it already with all the excuses. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

In 15 years, KG has never gotten to the free throw line on a consistent basis.

You can't make a thoroughbred into a trotter. and you can't turn a silk purse into a sow's ear.

Accept all the Celtics players for what they are. Each is part of a great team, and each has their flaws, as do all players and all people.

KG is without Peer on defense and selflless team offensive leadership. He is no longer an offensive demon, but he is still the quickest Power Forward in the game, even now.

Sunday was a bad day.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]In 15 years, KG has never gotten to the free throw line on a consistent basis. You can't make a thoroughbred into a trotter. and you can't turn a silk purse into a sow's ear. Accept all the Celtics players for what they are. Each is part of a great team, and each has their flaws, as do all players and all people. KG is without Peer on defense and selflless team offensive leadership. He is no longer an offensive demon, but he is still the quickest Power Forward in the game, even now. Sunday was a bad day.

-

Well spoken, my friend.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In 15 years, KG has never gotten to the free throw line on a consistent basis. You can't make a thoroughbred into a trotter. and you can't turn a silk purse into a sow's ear. Accept all the Celtics players for what they are. Each is part of a great team, and each has their flaws, as do all players and all people. KG is without Peer on defense and selflless team offensive leadership. He is no longer an offensive demon, but he is still the quickest Power Forward in the game, even now. Sunday was a bad day.

If the Celtics are stuck with a jump shooting KG then why are you expecting the Celtics to win another championship?

Championships are won in the paint. The Lakers already proved that by winning back to back championships.

In 2008 the Celtics won because KG and the Celtic frontline dominated the Laker frontline. Last year the Lakers beat the Celtics in the Finals because the Laker frontline dominated the Celtic frontline. It's not that hard to figure out.

If KG will not step up to the challenge and he'll just be the normal KG then the Celtics are not winning another championship this season. It's called rising to the occasion. Something Larry Bird, Bill Russell, Bob Cousy, John Havlicek, and other great Celtic players do when it's winning time!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

YEE OF LITTLE FAITH !!!

There's nothing wrong with KG !

He can pound the paint as good as anyone in the NBA

So he's better when he's shooting the jumper outside rather than headbanging down low ?

No freaking kidding ~!

Who isn't ?

I love KG but I love him more with Shaq available for 20 minutes every night

Who cares where KG gets his 16-20 from ?

As long as he gets the 16-20 every night !

CELTICS WIN 63 GAMES THIS SEASON AND WIN THE NBA CHAMPIONSHIP !!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

[QUOTE]YEE OF LITTLE FAITH !!! There's nothing wrong with KG ! He can pound the paint as good as anyone in the NBA So he's better when he's shooting the jumper outside rather than headbanging down low ? No freaking kidding ~! Who isn't ? I love KG but I love him more with Shaq available for 20 minutes every night Who cares where KG gets his 16-20 from ? As long as he gets the 16-20 every night ! CELTICS WIN 63 GAMES THIS SEASON AND WIN THE NBA CHAMPIONSHIP !!!!
    Posted by PHX85014[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid not. Outside shots are more difficult to make on a regular basis. Trying to score points in the paint will not only get you more free-throws, it will also put your opponent in foul trouble. You are in denial if you believe the Celtics will win a championship with KG playing like Ryan Anderson on offense. 

The Celtics to win 63 games this season is a pipe dream. They already have 14 loses to date. Expecting them to lose only 5 games in 2 months is not being realistic.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

The quickest Power Forward in the game couldn't even exploit a 6-8 Eduardo Najera in Charlotte last Monday. LOL