KG retires after season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

KG retires after season

My belief is that KG is too loyal and will not pull a RA and chase a ring that would make him look like a hypocrite. Remember KG stayed in Minn when they weren't winning.

All these NBAers that are saying Ainge will trade KG must not know KG has a no trade clause. KG will help mentor the young guys and retire after the season.

Just my opinion

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Re: KG retires after season

Ok but keep in mind he almost retired before THIS season. Does he have $11M reasons to come back next year besides the $11M? I think he's made the most contract $$ of any other NBA player in history

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma09. Show scauma09's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

My belief is that KG is too loyal and will not pull a RA and chase a ring that would make him look like a hypocrite. Remember KG stayed in Minn when they weren't winning.

All these NBAers that are saying Ainge will trade KG must not know KG has a no trade clause. KG will help mentor the young guys and retire after the season.

Just my opinion

That's just great! 

In case you didn't know, even if KG retires his salary will still count against the cap. It would be like paying KG even if he's not working.

Let KG retire after next season. The Celtics still need him next season.

That's only partly true, the team and KG can reach an agreement not to pay him his salary, in which case it doesn't count against the cap. They have to come to that agreement though, normally the player does collect their money, and it does count against the cap. For some reason I wouldn't be surprised if KG (if he did retire) tell the celts not to pay him.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma09. Show scauma09's posts

51.  How do retired players count against the cap?

Any money paid to a player is included in team salary, even if the player has retired.  For example, James Worthy retired in 1994, two years before his contract ended.  He continued to receive his salary for the 94-95 and 95-96 seasons, so his salary was included in the Lakers' team salary in those seasons.  It is at the team's discretion (or as the result of an agreement between the team and player) whether to continue to pay the player after he has retired.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma09. Show scauma09's posts

To me that means IF a team pays a player, it counts against the cap but there are ways to avoid paying said player. I think with Van Horn, and Wallace they retired, but always planned to still collect, which is fine.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

In response to TommyRules's comment:

If KG wants to retire, Boston is not required to pay him.

A player can't just retire and expect the team to pay his salary.

Sometimes the player and the team agree to pay all or some of the salary.

For KG's contract to come off of Boston's books, he would have to file retirement papers with the league. Rasheed never filed the retirement papers.

61. What are the rules for retired players? What if the player suffers a career-ending injury?

The only exception to this is when a player is still under contract, wants to quit, and his team doesn't want to let him out of his contract. Under these circumstances the player can file for retirement with the league. The player is placed on the league's Voluntarily Retired list (see question number 77), forgoes his remaining salary, and cannot return to the league for one year. The latter requirement prevents players from using retirement as an underhanded way to change teams, and can be overridden with unanimous approval from all 30 teams. For example, guard Jason Williams signed with the LA Clippers in August 2008, then changed his mind the following month, announcing his retirement. He applied for reinstatement in early 2009, but his request was denied by a vote of 24-6. Williams later signed with the Orlando Magic once the one-year anniversary of his retirement announcement had passed.

Any money paid to a player is included in team salary, even if the player is no longer playing or has retired.

+1 I don't see how money could count against the cap if a guy retires...and the paperwork is filed.

If KG did waive his no trade, I think the only place he would go is Houston (McHale). It would make the Rockets a much better team. I don't think he does waive it though

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to TommyRules' comment:

There are a few options:

1) A player can retire and whatever money he will be paid that the team and the player agree upon, will count against the cap.

2) A player can retire and file retirement papers. He will not be paid any amount that was due to him.

3) A player can retire and he and the team don't agree on how much, if any, he will be paid. If the team does not agree to pay him any portion of his contract and he does not show up to perform the services for which he is required under his contract, he will be in violation of the contract, and will not be paid.

Listen to the admitted lying troll.

He is an impeachable source.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In response to TommyRules' comment:

Your first paragraph makes no sense about signing a new contract.

The player never has to file retirement papers.

Boston could have pushed back at Rasheed and filed a grievance with the league.

Actually I got it here:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q61

61. What are the rules for retired players? What if the player suffers a career-ending injury?

There's nothing binding about a player announcing his retirement. The player can still sign a new contract and continue playing (if he's not under contract), or return to his team (if he is still under contract) and resume his career.

The only exception to this is when a player is still under contract, wants to quit, and his team doesn't want to let him out of his contract. Under these circumstances the player can file for retirement with the league. The player is placed on the league's Voluntarily Retired list (see question number 77), forgoes his remaining salary, and cannot return to the league for one year. The latter requirement prevents players from using retirement as an underhanded way to change teams, and can be overridden with unanimous approval from all 30 teams. For example, guard Jason Williams signed with the LA Clippers in August 2008, then changed his mind the following month, announcing his retirement. He applied for reinstatement in early 2009, but his request was denied by a vote of 24-6. Williams later signed with the Orlando Magic once the one-year anniversary of his retirement announcement had passed.

I believe this is correct, but I don't think he'll retire.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

Just my opinion

That's just great! 

In case you didn't know, even if KG retires his salary will still count against the cap. It would be like paying KG even if he's not working.

Let KG retire after next season. The Celtics still need him next season.

+1